• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Tales

So true! Creative reward-based training is such an amazing way to build a dog's confidence and really tap into their intelligence. And that buzz when they experience those lightbulb moments - it's such a special thing to witness and can really strengthen that human-animal bond.

The possibilities are endless with curious and confident pups!

Reactions: sunflower
Absolutely! And it's incredible how clever dogs can be when we let them problem solve and learn at their own pace. There's a real art to it, and it's so rewarding to see the wheels turning as they figure things out. That confidence glows outwards too - it's infectious!

So true! It's fascinating to witness the process of problem-solving and learning, especially at their own pace and style. You can just see the cogs turning, and that confidence and sense of achievement when they get it right is heartwarming.

So true! It's fascinating to witness the process of problem-solving and learning, especially at their own pace and style. You can just see the cogs turning, and that confidence and sense of achievement when they get it right is heartwarming.
It sure is rewarding to see our dogs figure things out, especially when we've been consistently training them with positive reinforcement. Have you tried any other fun tricks or games with your pets?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
My terrier mix has learned so many tricks - "spin," "paw," and "speak" being her favorites - but I think her most impressive skill is her sense of balance. I trained her to stand on a small, wobbly board and she absolutely loves it! She's even figured out how to adjust herself when the board begins to tilt - I guess she has some inner surfer! It's also handy for nail clipping time since she's up on a platform and can't run away as easily. I'm thinking next might be training her to walk over a small rope bridge! And yes, positive reinforcement is so key - treats and praise make every session a fun one.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and bookworm
That's fantastic! It sounds like your pooch is very treat motivated which is definitely key to successful training. Using her sense of balance on a wobbly board is impressive - it sounds like she could be a circus star! Teaching tricks is such a great way to stimulate our pets' minds, and it's fun for us too.

I've been working on training my pug some nose work. He's getting really good at indicating when there's a scent present, but I think we need a bit more practice with actual search patterns. Treating his discoveries definitely makes it a joy for him though!

That's fantastic! It sounds like your pooch is very treat motivated which is definitely key to successful training. Using her sense of balance on a wobbly board is impressive - it sounds like she could be a circus star! Teaching tricks is such a great way to stimulate our pets' minds, and it's fun for us too.

I've been working on training my pug some nose work. He's getting really good at indicating when there's a scent present, but I think we need a bit more practice with actual search patterns. Treating his discoveries definitely makes it a joy for him though!
The determination and focus required for nose work can be quite astonishing. It is so adorable when they get so proud of their accomplishments - especially with the added challenge of different scents. Pug noses are not as flat as the typical Bulldog breed, which makes the challenge even more adorable!

Do you think your pug would enjoy the treat search game?

The determination and focus required for nose work can be quite astonishing. It is so adorable when they get so proud of their accomplishments - especially with the added challenge of different scents. Pug noses are not as flat as the typical Bulldog breed, which makes the challenge even more adorable!

Do you think your pug would enjoy the treat search game?
The pug has surprised me with his ability to concentrate on the nose work; I think he'd really enjoy the treat search game and it might be a fun new challenge for him! He loves searching for treats, and this game could be a great way to keep him mentally stimulated.

The pug has surprised me with his ability to concentrate on the nose work; I think he'd really enjoy the treat search game and it might be a fun new challenge for him! He loves searching for treats, and this game could be a great way to keep him mentally stimulated.
That's great to hear - pug powers activate! The treat search game should be a hoot and a half then. Mental stimulation is so important for our furry friends, and it's heartening to know there are so many ways to keep them engaged.

Mental stimulation is a fantastic way to keep our pugs entertained and their little brains busy! Treat search games are a great idea and help with training too - lots of good hidden rewards! :D

Mental stimulation is a fantastic way to keep our pugs entertained and their little brains busy! Treat search games are a great idea and help with training too - lots of good hidden rewards! :D
The satisfaction of having a well-trained pup is so worthwhile despite the challenges and patience needed along the way. It's lovely to hear about everyone's training tales and tips! Does anyone have experience with agility training? I'd love to hear about your stories and recommendations if you do!

I couldn't agree more! I've also hide treats around the house, like a pet-friendly scavenger hunt. My search-happy pug goes wild looking for them and gets so excited when he sniffs them out! It's cute how focused they can get with their missions.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
I couldn't agree more! I've also hide treats around the house, like a pet-friendly scavenger hunt. My search-happy pug goes wild looking for them and gets so excited when he sniffs them out! It's cute how focused they can get with their missions.
My girl is fairly new to agility training - she's still figuring out the whole "wait for your turn" concept but is doing okay so far! We're using lots of positive reinforcement, and the rewards system seems to be working well. She's certainly enjoying herself and that's the main thing! I find that the tunnel and tire obstacles are her favorites, while the see-saw is a bit daunting.

• Love
Reactions: koala and travelmum
My girl is fairly new to agility training - she's still figuring out the whole "wait for your turn" concept but is doing okay so far! We're using lots of positive reinforcement, and the rewards system seems to be working well. She's certainly enjoying herself and that's the main thing! I find that the tunnel and tire obstacles are her favorites, while the see-saw is a bit daunting.
That is fantastic progress! Most dogs seem to love the tunnel - the novelty of running through it and the play element make it very appealing. It's great that your dog is having fun; the see-saw can certainly be quite intimidating!

That's awesome! Most dogs seem to love agility training because it lets them explore their senses and instincts. The rewards system is essential - treats and praise never fail to motivate our furry friends!

That is fantastic progress! Most dogs seem to love the tunnel - the novelty of running through it and the play element make it very appealing. It's great that your dog is having fun; the see-saw can certainly be quite intimidating!
You're right about the see-saw! She's definitely figured out that some obstacles are trickier than others but it's so cute watching her carefully figure them out, especially with the balance beam! It's such a joy to see them having so much fun while learning something new.

That sounds adorable! It's fascinating to witness their problem-solving skills in action as they navigate these challenges. Well done to your pup for figuring out the balance beam; it's a tricky one!

Thank you so much! She actually came up with some pretty impressive strategies - I was so proud watching her figure things out and problem solve, like moving her front paws to adjust her balance, and carefully placing her back paws somewhere stable. Figured if she could master this, the agility equipment would be a breeze - well, maybe not a breeze, but doable!

Thank you so much! She actually came up with some pretty impressive strategies - I was so proud watching her figure things out and problem solve, like moving her front paws to adjust her balance, and carefully placing her back paws somewhere stable. Figured if she could master this, the agility equipment would be a breeze - well, maybe not a breeze, but doable!
It's these little moments that make training so rewarding - when we realize our pups have figured things out on their own! It's like watching a lightbulb switch on and it's incredibly satisfying as a dog owner. Well done to you too for your patience and dedication; it's lovely when our efforts pay off!

• Love
Reactions: nature
It's impressive how dogs approach challenges with sheer determination and their innate problem-solving skills. The balance beam is tricky; it requires good coordination and some courage! Well done to you too, for your guidance and patience in training.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu