• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

Both my boys are into superheroes and evil villains saving/conquering the world. They spend hours flying around the living room, fighting crime and rescuing civilians. It's adorable seeing their imaginative battles and good vs. evil scenarios played out. The older one especially gets very into his character, often having deep conversations with his superhero alter-ego!
It's fascinating how kids can immerse themselves so deeply in their imaginary worlds. My daughter hasn't shown any interest in superheroes yet, but pirates are a huge hit in our household, thanks to her current obsession with Jake and the Never Land Pirates. She runs around the house searching for imaginary treasure, using random objects as make-believe maps and telescopes. And just like your older one, she often has profound conversations with her pirate alter ego, complete with quirky voices!

I think it's wonderful that your boys are crafting these detailed narratives and spending time together in this fun, imaginative way. It's heartwarming to see the bond they're forging while engaging in creative play. Different interests and perspectives shared between siblings is so fascinating and a great learning experience for them, isn't it?

It's fascinating how kids can immerse themselves so deeply in their imaginary worlds. My daughter hasn't shown any interest in superheroes yet, but pirates are a huge hit in our household, thanks to her current obsession with Jake and the Never Land Pirates. She runs around the house searching for imaginary treasure, using random objects as make-believe maps and telescopes. And just like your older one, she often has profound conversations with her pirate alter ego, complete with quirky voices!

I think it's wonderful that your boys are crafting these detailed narratives and spending time together in this fun, imaginative way. It's heartwarming to see the bond they're forging while engaging in creative play. Different interests and perspectives shared between siblings is so fascinating and a great learning experience for them, isn't it?
Yes, it's incredible how they come up with these imaginative games and storylines! Each has their own unique take on superheroes and their superpowers. And you're right - it's a great learning experience for them, developing empathy and fostering creativity.

Yes, it's incredible how they come up with these imaginative games and storylines! Each has their own unique take on superheroes and their superpowers. And you're right - it's a great learning experience for them, developing empathy and fostering creativity.
It's amazing how creative kids can be, coming up with all these fantastic superhero stories. They sure have an vivid imagination, and it's delightful to witness their creative minds at work!

Empathy and creativity are wonderful life skills to cultivate, and it's impressive how these toys and books can help foster these attributes.

It's amazing how creative kids can be, coming up with all these fantastic superhero stories. They sure have an vivid imagination, and it's delightful to witness their creative minds at work!

Empathy and creativity are wonderful life skills to cultivate, and it's impressive how these toys and books can help foster these attributes.
I agree, it's a wonderful trait to nurture in children. Gives them a head start in life, learning essential skills.

I agree, it's a wonderful trait to nurture in children. Gives them a head start in life, learning essential skills.
Yes these skills will definitely give them an advantage, especially when problem-solving and thinking outside the box are increasingly becoming sought-after skills in this rapidly changing world. It's a great way to prepare kids for the future, isn't it? We as parents can only do so much, and these toys and books are a Godsend in helping us nurture these qualities in our children.

I still have my favourite storybook collection from primary school days! Those colorful picture pages and the fun illustrations made every bedtime story a delight. I remember being completely immersed in those magical worlds, from classic fairytales to delightful children's fiction.

The stories ignited my imagination and creativity from a young age. They were like little windows to different realms, and each night before bed, I'd be transported to a different adventure. Those books helped shape my love for reading and storytelling, setting up a lifelong affair with words and their magic.

Some of my earliest memories are of holding those beloved books, poring over the details in awe, learning new vocabulary, and letting my mind run wild with wonder. They were special companions that sparked joy and comfort, leaving me with such fond memories!

I still have my favourite storybook collection from primary school days, those little hardcovers with colour illustrations that I used to read again and again! They had timeless tales like Heidi, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Black Beauty and many more.

Those books gave me a nice escape route from reality whenever I needed one - a poor orphan finding a mysterious magical garden or a young girl leading a charmed life in an English manor, hah!

I also loved my collection of tiny plastic animals and characters which unfortunately didn't survive as well. They got scattered and lost over the many house moves. But I remember playing with them endlessly - setting up little scenarios and voices for each one. They were way cooler than the trendy toys, in my opinion!

I had plenty of toys when I was younger but the ones that stuck with me the longest were the Lego blocks. I loved how you could just follow the instruction manual and build amazing, intricate creations. And after you're done, you could dismantle it and start all over again! They were the perfect playtime activity and also displayed neatly on my shelf when I wasn't playing with them. I think they were passed down to me from an older cousin, so they had quite the life before reaching me too!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
My favourite toy was this super cool remote-controlled car my uncle gave me for my 8th birthday! It was bright yellow and could go everywhere, even on grass patches and up stairs - so cool man! I think it really helped spark my interest in all things automotive, and now I'm an enthusiastic car owner today haha! I still remember the excitement of controlling it to race around the neighbourhood, trying not to lose it beyond the edges of our estate. Good times indeed!

200.gif

As a kid, I had this awesome superhero figurine collection. They were the coolest and had these sleek outfits and gadgets. I especially loved the ones with extensible wings or intricate armor. They definitely kept me entertained for hours, coming up with all sorts of missions and stories.

My brothers and I also had a giant teddy bear that we'd use in our make-believe scenarios. It'd either be a friendly giant or an evil boss monster, depending on the story! Seeing these toys through my kids' eyes now brings back such pleasant memories. It's like I'm reliving my own childhood adventures all over again.

200.gif

Yup, it's amazing how these imaginative playthings do more than just provide entertainment for our kids - they're little time machines that transport our children to fantastical worlds, helping them develop all sorts of skills and attributes, like empathy and creativity along the way. They're also a great way to keep them engaged and enhance their problem-solving abilities as they figure out plot twists and turns in their make-believe stories!

The unicorn sounds adorable and it's so sweet how it helped you feel less scared of the dark. There's something extra special about keeping these toys, isn't there? It's like keeping a piece of our childhood alive and it's amazing how much comfort and joy they can continue to bring as time goes by.

True that! I had this awesome building set that kept me entertained for hours - it was a pink and purple plastic castle with tiny figures of princesses and horses. You could stack the bricks to make different rooms and furnished it with the tiniest little chairs and beds. I loved arranging and rearranging the rooms and making up stories for the characters.

My favourite book had to be this hardbound collection of Aesop's Fables. The morals were a bit scary though - all those animals getting boiled in pots and such - but the illustrations were so pretty. I loved poring over the pictures and making up my own tales for each one.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
True that! I had this awesome building set that kept me entertained for hours - it was a pink and purple plastic castle with tiny figures of princesses and horses. You could stack the bricks to make different rooms and furnished it with the tiniest little chairs and beds. I loved arranging and rearranging the rooms and making up stories for the characters.

My favourite book had to be this hardbound collection of Aesop's Fables. The morals were a bit scary though - all those animals getting boiled in pots and such - but the illustrations were so pretty. I loved poring over the pictures and making up my own tales for each one.
I had this one stuffed toy dog that I brought everywhere from when I was four till... okay fine, thirteen. It was super embarrassing but I couldn't sleep without him! He was so fluffy and cute – white with brown spots, like a cow. I named him Spot .

My favourite books were the Harry Potter series. I remember getting The Goblet of Fire for my birthday and finishing it in one sitting because it was just so addictive. I wish I could erase my memory and read them all again for the first time!

Reactions: queenie
I had this one stuffed toy dog that I brought everywhere from when I was four till... okay fine, thirteen. It was super embarrassing but I couldn't sleep without him! He was so fluffy and cute – white with brown spots, like a cow. I named him Spot .

My favourite books were the Harry Potter series. I remember getting The Goblet of Fire for my birthday and finishing it in one sitting because it was just so addictive. I wish I could erase my memory and read them all again for the first time!
Aww, that's sweet! My students love their comfy toys too. Some of them have a hard time leaving them behind when they come to school, and I think it's so adorable.

I enjoyed reading the Harry Potter series too! It's wonderful how the books capture the magic and mystery of the wizarding world. My favourite was The Order of the Phoenix - I loved the addition of Professor Umbridge, her bubblegum-pink costumes, and the increasingly tense plot.

Reactions: chickadee
Yeah, I know what you mean! I had this awesome collection of tiny animal figurines too! They were so well-loved but sadly, they didn't survive the test of time like the books did. There's just something about a good storybook that makes you want to keep coming back to it. Those classic tales have such great lessons inside, and they spark our imagination in ways that are hard to explain. I think it's awesome how everyone has different experiences, but we can all relate through these timeless stories!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
True that! These toys prepare our children for the real world in a way that we cannot and develop skills which will benefit them greatly.

Your daughter's love for Jake and the Never Land Pirates is adorable! And it's so cute how she creates all these scenarios with her pirate alter ego - kids really do come up with the quirkiest of voices for their characters, don't they?

Unicorns are a magical and comforting presence It's lovely that you still have yours. There's a special kind of comfort in keeping our childhood toys - like a security blanket of sorts.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu