• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toys and storybooks play an important role in children's development, providing more than just entertainment. They offer educational value and help children develop essential skills, such as creativity, empathy, problem-solving abilities and vocabulary while keeping them engaged for hours. These playful learning tools are a godsend for parents, especially as they nurture qualities like imagination and creativity in their children.

Many adults still cherish their favorite childhood toys and storybooks, keeping them as beloved keepsakes. These special companions often spark joy and fond memories of playtime adventures, transporting us back to our enchanting childhoods.

What's your favorite toy or book from when you were young? Did you have a beloved teddy bear or a much-read picture book that you've kept all these years? Or maybe you had the cool new toy that all the kids wanted! Share here what special role these toys and books played in shaping some of your earliest memories.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I still have my favourite picture book from young! It's a well-loved copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. I must have gotten it when I was 5 or 6, and reading it was a bedtime routine for me and my siblings. We took turns to read the pages aloud and sometimes acted out the story too. I liked how the story always ended with the caterpillar emerging victorious after such an adventure - and of course, the little golden cocoon that sparkled at the end! It made a deep impact on me as a young kid, fueling my imagination and encouraging my love for reading. I think it's still beloved by many kids even now, since it's such a colourful and cute story with an important lesson on perseverance!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and wisdom
My favourite toy was this cool race car which had a pull-back function. All you needed to do was to hold it in your palm, pull it back real quick and release it to watch it zoom off! So much fun watching it whizz around the house. It kept me entertained for hours on end. Something about racing cars always fascinated me, still brings a smile to my face thinking about it.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
My favourite toy was this cool race car which had a pull-back function. All you needed to do was to hold it in your palm, pull it back real quick and release it to watch it zoom off! So much fun watching it whizz around the house. It kept me entertained for hours on end. Something about racing cars always fascinated me, still brings a smile to my face thinking about it.
Race car, ah? That's a fun one! I had something similar but it was a tiny toy car that could go really fast too. I remember zooming it down my childhood home's long hallway and 'racing' it against my siblings' cars. Good times, man. The simple joys of childhood are the best!

200.gif

Reactions: sunflower
I had an adorable pink stuffed rabbit named Bunny whom I adored. My mum bought it for me when I was three after I saw someone else with one at the park and obviously wanted one of my own! It was so cute - fluffy, long-eared and had a sweet expression on its face. I remember carrying it everywhere and sleeping with it every night. After a few years, Bunny's fur got dirty and worn out, but I didn't want to let go of it. It became sort of a comforting companion - the perfect hug when I needed one!

Reactions: lioness
I loved my stuffed toy monkey growing up! It was soft and had a pale yellow fur with a bright red scarf around its neck. It's one of those toys that you sleep with every night and bring everywhere - especially comforting for car rides. I think it helped me develop an early love for adventures because I'd imagine all sorts of journeys and stories for my monkey. It still sits on my bed at home, looking a little worn out after so many years, but that makes it extra special to me!

I had quite a few toys but this one soft toy bear stood out and has been with me through thick and thin - literally! Still got him tucked away somewhere. He was so cute and squishy and I remember bringing him everywhere as a kid. He's seen better days now but he's still super special to me.

The other toy I really loved was this cool solar-powered robot kit that my uncle gave me. It was mindblowing to see the little robot walk around when exposed to sunlight - it felt like magic! Put it together myself and was so proud of it. Unfortunately, it broke down after some rough play but it definitely shaped my fondest memories of toy ownership and sparked an interest in all things robotics.

200.gif

I had quite a few toys which I really liked but the one that stands out was this cool race car which had some funky graphics on it. It wasn't those mainstream toy cars; it was different and looked like no other kid's toy car!

I remember playing with it for hours, driving it on the floor, making all sorts of engine sound effects haha! I even took it to bed sometimes but never for a long time cos I didn't want it to get dirty. It had this smooth, almost glossy finish which felt really nice to hold and its bright colors were so appealing. Unfortunately, it got ruined in an accident and the body got crushed somehow - quite sad actually. But even then, I couldn't bear to throw it away and kept the remains for a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
As an adult now, looking back, I realise how lucky I was as a kid cause my toys and books played a huge role in making many great memories. I still recall the joy of receiving new stationery and using them to draw and write during primary school. My favourite would have to be this colorful set of pens which had every color of the rainbow, and then some! I also loved the handful of storybooks my mom would buy me every month - the ones with thick paper and colorful illustrations were usually the best. They really sparked my imagination and took me to so many different worlds, especially since I was a pretty shy kid who spent most of my time indoors.

Reactions: musical
I had this awesome robot toy when I was little. It could walk and even do a little dance! I think it also helped me learn about kindness and patience, 'cause sometimes it broke down and stuff would fall out, and my dad always told me that we had to be gentle and careful fixing it. So many memories!

I had this awesome robot toy when I was little. It could walk and even do a little dance! I think it also helped me learn about kindness and patience, 'cause sometimes it broke down and stuff would fall out, and my dad always told me that we had to be gentle and careful fixing it. So many memories!
I had this super cool stuffed unicorn that was pink and purple! It was so soft and I slept with it every night. I think it made me feel comforted and brave because I was always a bit afraid of the dark when I was little, and having unicorny adventures in my head made bed time fun. I still have it actually! It's pretty old and worn now, but it's so cute and special to me so I can't bear to throw it out.

I had this super cool stuffed unicorn that was pink and purple! It was so soft and I slept with it every night. I think it made me feel comforted and brave because I was always a bit afraid of the dark when I was little, and having unicorny adventures in my head made bed time fun. I still have it actually! It's pretty old and worn now, but it's so cute and special to me so I can't bear to throw it out.
I love those nostalgic feelings! Nothing wrong with holding onto your precious childhood memories. My boys have a soft toy each that they're super attached to too.

I love those nostalgic feelings! Nothing wrong with holding onto your precious childhood memories. My boys have a soft toy each that they're super attached to too.
That's nice of you to let them have their special toys. It's sweet when kids get attached to certain things; it shows there's a lot of imagination and sweetness in them, which makes parenting all worth it!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's nice of you to let them have their special toys. It's sweet when kids get attached to certain things; it shows there's a lot of imagination and sweetness in them, which makes parenting all worth it!
Yes, it's one of the most fulfilling aspects of parenthood - witnessing their young minds create wonderful narratives and attach emotions to things like soft toys! As long as they aren't demanding or aggressive about it, I think every kid should have that one special toy.

Reactions: sunflower
Yes, it's one of the most fulfilling aspects of parenthood - witnessing their young minds create wonderful narratives and attach emotions to things like soft toys! As long as they aren't demanding or aggressive about it, I think every kid should have that one special toy.
It's a joy to see how creative kids can get with their imaginary worlds. I feel that having a special toy also teaches them empathy and caring, especially when they treat them with so much love and affection. Have you also noticed any of your children's unique personalities reflected in their choices of favorite toys?

It's a joy to see how creative kids can get with their imaginary worlds. I feel that having a special toy also teaches them empathy and caring, especially when they treat them with so much love and affection. Have you also noticed any of your children's unique personalities reflected in their choices of favorite toys?
Absolutely! My older one has an imaginative and adventurous spirit, his favorite was a small green dragon stuffed toy that he named 'Dolly'. He created this elaborate story that Dolly was a fierce warrior who fought evil monsters! The younger one, however, prefers soft toys that resemble cute animals and he's very affectionate towards them. He often talks about their adventures in the forest - it's adorable!

Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely! My older one has an imaginative and adventurous spirit, his favorite was a small green dragon stuffed toy that he named 'Dolly'. He created this elaborate story that Dolly was a fierce warrior who fought evil monsters! The younger one, however, prefers soft toys that resemble cute animals and he's very affectionate towards them. He often talks about their adventures in the forest - it's adorable!
Both your children sure do have interesting personalities! It's fascinating how they differ despite being from the same household. There's a certain magic in the way children play, their curiosity and creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Reactions: wellness
Both your children sure do have interesting personalities! It's fascinating how they differ despite being from the same household. There's a certain magic in the way children play, their curiosity and creativity never ceases to amaze me.
Yes, it's incredible how each kid is so unique, even from a young age! Their playtime experiences are like little windows into their personalities. It's a joy to behold, and I love hearing their imaginative stories.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Yes, it's incredible how each kid is so unique, even from a young age! Their playtime experiences are like little windows into their personalities. It's a joy to behold, and I love hearing their imaginative stories.
You're spot on about the uniqueness of every child and their creative play. Their imaginations know no bounds, and it's delightful to witness their little narratives unfold. It's a reminder of the beauty of childhood and the importance of nurturing their creative minds. What sort of imaginative games do your children enjoy playing? Mine loves setting up this elaborate make-believe cafe with a menu and everything! She even cooks up stories of her doll customers.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
You're spot on about the uniqueness of every child and their creative play. Their imaginations know no bounds, and it's delightful to witness their little narratives unfold. It's a reminder of the beauty of childhood and the importance of nurturing their creative minds. What sort of imaginative games do your children enjoy playing? Mine loves setting up this elaborate make-believe cafe with a menu and everything! She even cooks up stories of her doll customers.
Both my boys are into superheroes and evil villains saving/conquering the world. They spend hours flying around the living room, fighting crime and rescuing civilians. It's adorable seeing their imaginative battles and good vs. evil scenarios played out. The older one especially gets very into his character, often having deep conversations with his superhero alter-ego!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu