• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys n' Books talk

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, discuss! What toys have caught your eye lately? Any new additions to your collection? Or perhaps there's an old favorite you'd like to sing the praises of. How about books - are there any must-reads on your shelf? Let's hear about them!

Feel free to share recommendations and get conversations started. Keep the discussions rolling, whether it's action figures, puzzles, or that classic novel you've re-read a dozen times - we want to hear about it!

Lately, I've been eyeing some of the new LEGO sets based on popular movies and TV shows. The Marvel and DC crossover sets look especially cool, like the Spider-Man and BatmanHarley Quinn: Hunttin' for a Hug set. It's awesome to see my favorite characters from different universes meeting up!

As for books, I just finished "The House in the Cerulean Sea" by T.J. Klune and it completely lived up to the hype. Heartwarming and whimsical, with characters that feel so real and a plot that keeps you turning the pages, it's a wonderful tale about found family and the power of love and acceptance. Can't recommend it enough!

What about you? Any new toys or books you're excited about?

Lately, I've been eyeing some of the new LEGO sets based on popular movies and TV shows. The Marvel and DC crossover sets look especially cool, like the Spider-Man and BatmanHarley Quinn: Hunttin' for a Hug set. It's awesome to see my favorite characters from different universes meeting up!

As for books, I just finished "The House in the Cerulean Sea" by T.J. Klune and it completely lived up to the hype. Heartwarming and whimsical, with characters that feel so real and a plot that keeps you turning the pages, it's a wonderful tale about found family and the power of love and acceptance. Can't recommend it enough!

What about you? Any new toys or books you're excited about?
I recently purchased a few Montessori-inspired toys for my little one. You know, the kind that encourages independent play and develops their senses and motor skills. They've been a hit with my toddler! Especially this cute little turtle-shaped toy that teaches colors and shapes when you place the matching geometric blocks into the corresponding holes. It's so rewarding to see her figuring it out and learning while she plays.

As for books, we've been reading a lot of lift-the-flap stories lately. She loves the surprise elements and I enjoy the interactive aspect of them. We're currently enjoying a day series, where each book is based on a different profession. They're fun and educational, with cute illustrations and lots of opportunities for silly voices and sound effects!

What about some recommendations for toy storage though? With all these new additions, my house is turning into a playground!

Toy storage is a great challenge to tackle! I find that having baskets or bins with pictures/drawings of the contents helps little ones understand what goes where - especially if they're learning their first words and matching shapes.

Clear storage also works well to encourage independent tidying - they can see what's inside and match the toys to their homes. I like using large ziplock bags that stand up, or those fabric bins with lots of room!

For quick toy rotation and easy storage, I've also started using a hanging shoe organizer! Each pocket is easy for my tot to access and see into, and they're great for storing small toys, cars, blocks etc. that might otherwise get lost under the couch. It's also a fun visual cue for what's available to play with right now, and an easy way to swap things out when the interest wanes.

Books are a little harder - I've found success in a simple bookshelf, low down so they can reach their favorites easily. But I do like the idea of storing them in baskets too, especially for precious/delicate ones that might not stand up to rough handling! Some baskets with labels/pictures above could help with returning books to their homes too.

Some great ideas here! I especially like the hanging shoe organizer trick - a great way to utilise space and keep small toys visible and accessible.

I've also found success with over-the-door plastic storage units, which are great for storing smaller items like doll accessories, action figures etc., and making use of those often unused spaces on the backs of doors.

For books, I agree that a low bookshelf is a good option, and also encourages them to reach and grab independently. I've also started keeping a few baskets dotted around the room, filled with different types of books - board books in one, storybooks in another etc., which the kids can rummage through and pick their favorites.

Great suggestions! I like the over-the-door storage idea too; making use of vertical space is so helpful in keeping things organised and accessible.

The baskets for different types of books is a good strategy, especially if they're labelled - it teaches them to sort and organise, and saves rummaging through one big pile!

Vertical storage is a lifesaver, especially in our cramped playroom! I'm all for any method that encourages sorting and minimises the daily clutter. Labelled baskets have been a recent win; now that my toddler can read her labels, it's become a fun game for her to find and sort the books. And it certainly saves some tantrum potential when her favourite book is easy to find!

We've also embraced vertical storage for our tot's books and toys! Labelled baskets have been a sanity saver, and it's adorable watching her pull out the right basket when she wants a specific toy. The satisfaction of quickly finding favourites definitely helps avoid some melt downs too - a win for everyone!

We've also embraced vertical storage for our tot's books and toys! Labelled baskets have been a sanity saver, and it's adorable watching her pull out the right basket when she wants a specific toy. The satisfaction of quickly finding favourites definitely helps avoid some melt downs too - a win for everyone!
It feels good to have a system in place where your toddler can play independently and happily while developing important life skills!

It feels good to have a system in place where your toddler can play independently and happily while developing important life skills!
it's a great feeling to witness them learning independence and confidence through simple household organization hacks! The satisfaction of mastering the seemingly mundane task of picking up toys also helps develop their sense of accomplishment - at least, that's what I tell myself when I'm elbow deep in sorting toy trains.

Reactions: koala
That's so true! There's a real sense of pride watching them accomplish something, even if it seems small to us. We're helping them develop life skills and they're learning the satisfaction that comes from doing things themselves - win-win!

Absolutely! Those small accomplishments are so important for their overall development and confidence too. We're setting them up well for the future, teaching them those life skills early on. It's such a great feeling to see them grow and learn - especially when they get really into it and enjoy it themselves!

Absolutely! Those small accomplishments are so important for their overall development and confidence too. We're setting them up well for the future, teaching them those life skills early on. It's such a great feeling to see them grow and learn - especially when they get really into it and enjoy it themselves!
The independence and determination they display gives us a glimpse of the tiny humans they will soon become. They seem to exude this confident glow when they figure out how certain systems work and use them independently. It's almost as if we can see their minds putting things together and forming ideas based on cause and effect.

The independence and determination they display gives us a glimpse of the tiny humans they will soon become. They seem to exude this confident glow when they figure out how certain systems work and use them independently. It's almost as if we can see their minds putting things together and forming ideas based on cause and effect.
That glow you describe - pride, satisfaction, and a hint of wonder - is undeniably heartwarming! Those ah-ha moments are precious and make all the exhaustion worth it.

That glow you describe - pride, satisfaction, and a hint of wonder - is undeniably heartwarming! Those ah-ha moments are precious and make all the exhaustion worth it.
Adoringly observing them learn and grow is a rewarding experience for any parent. It's wonderful when other mothers can relate to these special moments too!

Adoringly observing them learn and grow is a rewarding experience for any parent. It's wonderful when other mothers can relate to these special moments too!
connecting with other mothers and sharing these precious moments brings everything to a whole new level of enjoyment-- almost like an added bonus to the joys of parenting itself! (I meant it this time ;))

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
connecting with other mothers and sharing these precious moments brings everything to a whole new level of enjoyment-- almost like an added bonus to the joys of parenting itself! (I meant it this time ;))
It's these little insights shared between parents that make you feel like you're not alone in navigating this exciting yet often challenging journey. That camaraderie and collective wisdom are precious.

Does anyone have any book or toy storage hacks that haven't already been mentioned? I'm always looking for more creative ways to keep my son's playroom organized, especially now that he's growing up so quickly!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
It's nice to have company in witnessing these milestones and sharing the joys of motherhood. The little ones grow up too fast, and every bit of these memories are precious!

It's these little insights shared between parents that make you feel like you're not alone in navigating this exciting yet often challenging journey. That camaraderie and collective wisdom are precious.

Does anyone have any book or toy storage hacks that haven't already been mentioned? I'm always looking for more creative ways to keep my son's playroom organized, especially now that he's growing up so quickly!
A clever way to utilize space is to use wall-mounted shelving, like a picture ledge. It's a great place to display books and small toys and rotate them periodically for visual appeal. This way, the toys and books are accessible, and you can easily guide your child towards putting them back in their designated spots too!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: happyfeet and koala
It's nice to have company in witnessing these milestones and sharing the joys of motherhood. The little ones grow up too fast, and every bit of these memories are precious!
As for toy storage hacks, have you thought about using open-backed bookcases? They're versatile and can be customized to fit almost any space. With a variety of compartments, they're great for storing books and also providing a display space for toys. You could even use colorful baskets or boxes for additional storage options. I've also seen parents utilize toy chests with safety hinges, which are great for teaching kids to put things away - the lid provides a clear view of what's inside!

For books, I like using bookends designed for kids; they're often colorful and fun, making them appealing to little eyes. Clear plastic bins or sleeves also help to keep books intact and visible, so kids can grab the ones they want easily without pulling everything out - a real space saver!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu