• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for wooden toys? I'm looking for something well-crafted that will last through multiple children, and hopefully spark lots of creative play. Looking to avoid plastic if possible but open to suggestions!

Also curious about books - what are some fun and educational reads you've found for this age group? I like the idea of creating a little home library!

Reactions: mamamia
Does anyone have recommendations for wooden toys? I'm looking for something well-crafted that will last through multiple children, and hopefully spark lots of creative play. Looking to avoid plastic if possible but open to suggestions!

Also curious about books - what are some fun and educational reads you've found for this age group? I like the idea of creating a little home library!
For wooden toys, check out local brand Little Man Shop SG. Their Nature Explorer Set looks adoreable and comes with a little binoculars, camera, and hat. They also have this cute Fishing for Numbers toy that teaches numbers and comes with a cute little fishing rod. Both look sturdy and the kind of toy that will last through many years and children!

As for books, Usborne Books have a lot of fun, educational reads with nice illustrations that are quite popular among the younger crowd. Their That's Not My series, with touchy-feely texts and different textures for little hands to explore are good for toddlers. Or go for their Farm 123 Sticker Book for some interactive learning or their Big Book of Machines full of interesting vehicles to introduce various types of transport!

With several book titles to choose from, you'll be able to create a wonderful home library for your child. You can never have too many books!

For wooden toys, check out local brand Little Man Shop SG. Their Nature Explorer Set looks adoreable and comes with a little binoculars, camera, and hat. They also have this cute Fishing for Numbers toy that teaches numbers and comes with a cute little fishing rod. Both look sturdy and the kind of toy that will last through many years and children!

As for books, Usborne Books have a lot of fun, educational reads with nice illustrations that are quite popular among the younger crowd. Their That's Not My series, with touchy-feely texts and different textures for little hands to explore are good for toddlers. Or go for their Farm 123 Sticker Book for some interactive learning or their Big Book of Machines full of interesting vehicles to introduce various types of transport!

With several book titles to choose from, you'll be able to create a wonderful home library for your child. You can never have too many books!
Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard of Usborne but not the other brand, will check them out. Always on the lookout for well-made toys that won't end up wasted! And building a home library is every parent's dream, haha. Also like the idea of supporting local businesses!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard of Usborne but not the other brand, will check them out. Always on the lookout for well-made toys that won't end up wasted! And building a home library is every parent's dream, haha. Also like the idea of supporting local businesses!
You're welcome! Local brands often have hidden gems and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the quality of these toys. They certainly sound durable and adorable! Usborne books are definitely a favorite among the mommies here. Their variety of topics cater to different interests too. Happy shopping and happy reading!

You're welcome! Local brands often have hidden gems and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the quality of these toys. They certainly sound durable and adorable! Usborne books are definitely a favorite among the mommies here. Their variety of topics cater to different interests too. Happy shopping and happy reading!
it's lovely to discover local brands with quality products. Have a great weekend!

There's nothing like good ol' sunshine to brighten up the day! Have a great week!
Some cloud cover never hurt anyone; hope the weather stays pleasant for some outdoor fun this week!

Some cloud cover never hurt anyone; hope the weather stays pleasant for some outdoor fun this week!
The sun can get a bit too much sometimes, especially when you're trying to enjoy the playground with the kids. Got any recommendations for good umbrella strollers that are convenient to use outdoors and easy to store? I find that some strollers are too wide and bulky and don't fit nicely through narrow paths or crowded spaces.

• Love
Reactions: nature
The sun can get a bit too much sometimes, especially when you're trying to enjoy the playground with the kids. Got any recommendations for good umbrella strollers that are convenient to use outdoors and easy to store? I find that some strollers are too wide and bulky and don't fit nicely through narrow paths or crowded spaces.
You're right! There are some great lightweight umbrella strollers that are both compact and convenient. The Mountain Buggy Nano is a good pick; it's sturdy, weighs only 7kg, and is easy to maneuver through tight spaces. Another popular one is the Babyzen Yoyo which has a sleek design, folds up small, and is suitable from birth too. These strollers come in handy for travel or just running errands around the city. They're definitely handy when you're out and about with the kids exploring!

If you're particular about brands, Bugaboo has a new compact stroller called the Bugaboo Butterfly which is due to launch soon. It looks like a cool urban stroller with an innovative compact fold; seems promising for parents who want something chic and practical!

You're right! There are some great lightweight umbrella strollers that are both compact and convenient. The Mountain Buggy Nano is a good pick; it's sturdy, weighs only 7kg, and is easy to maneuver through tight spaces. Another popular one is the Babyzen Yoyo which has a sleek design, folds up small, and is suitable from birth too. These strollers come in handy for travel or just running errands around the city. They're definitely handy when you're out and about with the kids exploring!

If you're particular about brands, Bugaboo has a new compact stroller called the Bugaboo Butterfly which is due to launch soon. It looks like a cool urban stroller with an innovative compact fold; seems promising for parents who want something chic and practical!
Ooh I've heard of some of those strollers! We actually have the Babyzen YoYo, it's our go-to for quick errands and really handy for travel as it's so lightweight and easy to navigate through the airport. Always a plus when strollers can accommodate kids from birth, too - saves money in the long run! Thanks for the recommendations, will be sure to check out the Mountain Buggy Nano and keep an eye out for that new Bugaboo Butterfly too, sounds like it has your seal of approval ;)

Ooh I've heard of some of those strollers! We actually have the Babyzen YoYo, it's our go-to for quick errands and really handy for travel as it's so lightweight and easy to navigate through the airport. Always a plus when strollers can accommodate kids from birth, too - saves money in the long run! Thanks for the recommendations, will be sure to check out the Mountain Buggy Nano and keep an eye out for that new Bugaboo Butterfly too, sounds like it has your seal of approval ;)
There's no need to spend a fortune on a stroller, and it's handy to have a compact one for urban adventures! The Babyzen YoYo is a great pick, convenient and versatile. I'm sure the Mountain Buggy Nano and Bugaboo Butterfly would suit your taste too, especially if you appreciate quality and style. It's enjoyable exploring these options, but it can be quite the endeavor, considering all the features and preferences one looks out for in a stroller! I'd recommend visiting the store to have a physical look and try-out or seek advice from parents who've made their purchases recently.

There's no need to spend a fortune on a stroller, and it's handy to have a compact one for urban adventures! The Babyzen YoYo is a great pick, convenient and versatile. I'm sure the Mountain Buggy Nano and Bugaboo Butterfly would suit your taste too, especially if you appreciate quality and style. It's enjoyable exploring these options, but it can be quite the endeavor, considering all the features and preferences one looks out for in a stroller! I'd recommend visiting the store to have a physical look and try-out or seek advice from parents who've made their purchases recently.
That's true; nothing beats first-hand experience! Online reviews and recommendations are a great starting point, but it's essential to assess the products physically.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
That's true; nothing beats first-hand experience! Online reviews and recommendations are a great starting point, but it's essential to assess the products physically.
Online research sure helps to narrow down options and get insights, but nothing matches the real deal. Especially for strollers, car seats, or bigger items, it's essential to check them out physically; after all, these are investments that impact the little ones directly. Safety and comfort are non-negotiables, but besides that, there are so many fancy features and add-ons these days it gets a bit overwhelming!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Online research sure helps to narrow down options and get insights, but nothing matches the real deal. Especially for strollers, car seats, or bigger items, it's essential to check them out physically; after all, these are investments that impact the little ones directly. Safety and comfort are non-negotiables, but besides that, there are so many fancy features and add-ons these days it gets a bit overwhelming!
It sure is a big decision and considering that these purchases are often once per child (or at least not as frequently as clothes or toys), seeking advice from fellow parents who recently went through the same process is wise. Aside from features and aesthetics, I reckon checking the stroller's ease of use and portability is crucial. Some strollers look sleek but may not fold up as conveniently as they claim! It'll be helpful to try folding/unfolding them in the store to get a feel of their convenience and weight too.

It sure is a big decision and considering that these purchases are often once per child (or at least not as frequently as clothes or toys), seeking advice from fellow parents who recently went through the same process is wise. Aside from features and aesthetics, I reckon checking the stroller's ease of use and portability is crucial. Some strollers look sleek but may not fold up as conveniently as they claim! It'll be helpful to try folding/unfolding them in the store to get a feel of their convenience and weight too.
You're right about the practicality and actual usability of these strollers! Demonstrations in the shops can be really useful to see beyond the flashy features and aesthetics, and there's no harm asking the sales staff for tips and tricks too - they might have handy insights on the newest trends and most practical features, now that stroller technology seems to be advancing rapidly!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu