• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parents agree that educational toys are fantastic at encouraging children's curiosity and exploration, especially with the wide variety of innovative products available today. These toys can help develop interests and hobbies while exposing kids to important concepts in a fun and interactive way. With technology playing an increasingly significant role in our lives, introducing children to coding and new media at a young age is seen as very advantageous.

Parents recommend books and toys that have been successful with their children, such as the magnetic robot kit, which encourages creativity and role-play. Snap circuits are also popular, providing an engaging way to learn about circuitry and electricity.

The classic *The Very Hungry Caterpillar* and Mo Willems's works are favorites when it comes to books, along with Julia Donaldson's rhythmic stories and the Llama Llama series. These books are interactive, fun, and capture children's attention with their wit and adorable characters.

Let's kick things off!

For many years, toys and books have been staple items in the lives of children (and adults!) across the world - bringing us joy, sparking our imaginations, and often holding a special place in our memories as we grow up.

What are some of your favourite toys and books, both from your childhood and more recent times? Are there any old classics that you'd recommend others introduce to their kids, or perhaps some newer additions to the toy/book world that have caught your eye?

I'll go first! Some of my all-time favourite childhood toys were my stuffed animals, especially my teddy bear. I also loved my old Barbies and would often set up elaborate stories for them - they definitely inspired a love of storytelling! As for books, I devoured the Harry Potter series as a kid and still re-read them today. The magic and mystery took me on so many adventures!

More recently, I've enjoyed introducing my nephew to some new toys like wooden building blocks which seem to help with his motor skills and creativity. And I've found myself picking up picture books with gorgeous illustrations - the details are astonishing and so imaginative!

What about you? What toys and books have left a lasting impression on you?

My favourite childhood toy was also my teddy bear - I had such an attachment to him and treated him as my best friend growing up. He accompanied me on many adventures!

As for books, I remember being entranced by the Chronicles of Narnia as a young reader. The intricate worlds and characters really sparked my imagination, and it's a series I enjoy re-reading even now. It's also a great way to introduce some classic literature to younger audiences.

Nowadays, I often find myself looking at pop-up books in stores - they're so intricately crafted and visually stunning! They're a fun way to bring stories to life for kids .

What about that new robot building kit everyone's talking about? It seems like an awesome blend of fun and education, especially with the coding aspects. I think it'd be a great gift for any tech-inclined kids!

Reactions: chickadee
Teddy bears are such sweet companions! I had one growing up too and he went everywhere with me - sometimes even to school .

The Chronicles of Narnia is a fantastic series; I was also mesmerised by the magical worlds and brave characters. I think it's so cool how books can transport you to another realm so effortlessly. Pop-up books are awesome; they're like little works of art with their intricate designs - a lovely way to make stories pop off the page!

I agree that the new robot building kit is an amazing idea for techy kids . The educational aspect makes it even cooler, especially with the focus on coding which is such a valuable skill these days. It's impressive how they've blended fun and learning so seamlessly.

Books are incredible companions and I agree that pop-up books are especially wonderful - an art form! Narnia is a magical world to escape into, for sure.

The robot building kit sounds like an awesome present for kids these days - fun and educational gifts are always winners! It's great how it teaches coding too, giving kids an early introduction to such a valuable skill. The builders of the future!

I couldn't agree more - books are amazing! They let you escape reality and venture into incredible worlds, especially Narnia - it's such an enchanting place to explore.

And yes, a robot building kit sounds fantastic! It's amazing how today's kids are so lucky to have such cool, educational toys that teach them valuable skills. It's a great way to spark interest in coding at a young age. The possibilities these kids will have when they grow up are endless!

Books really are incredible - they're a portal to so many amazing worlds, and it's wonderful to see how reading can spark imaginations young.

It's also exciting to see the kinds of educational toys that are available now; the robot building kit sounds like a brilliant way to engage kids in coding and technology and give them some hands-on fun at the same time. The skills they're learning while they play with these toys are incredibly valuable, and it'll be fascinating to see what creations these young people come up with as they grow!

completely agree - books are an incredible gift in how they ignite our imaginations and spark curiosity. It's a wonderful thing watching kids explore new worlds through reading, and then applying their learnings to the real world with cool toys like robot building kits. Educational toys are so sophisticated these days, providing kids hands-on experience with technology and coding is such a great way to prepare them for the future too. The earlier the better! Love that these skills are being encouraged early on and it's amazing what ideas they come up with!

It's a great point about how books ignite our imaginations - the earlier we foster this love of learning, the better. I think educational toys are a fantastic way to encourage that curiosity too, especially nowadays with the incredible variety and sophistication available. There's so many ways for kids to explore different topics hands-on which is such a cool way to learn. The exposure to new technologies and coding at an early age is bound to pay dividends in the future too - it's an exciting time for kids today!

Reactions: doctormama
You're spot on about the role of educational toys - they're a fantastic gateway into developing interests and hobbies. The earlier kids discover what really sparks their curiosity, the better! With technology becoming increasingly integrated into our lives, being exposed to coding and new media at a young age gives them an awesome head start too. It's amazing how much fun learning can be these days!

Absolutely! Educational toys are great as they encourage exploration and understanding while children play. Exposing kids to coding and new media will definitely benefit them in our technology-driven world; it's a whole new literacy and an important skill to have! The fun factor is a huge bonus too - learning should be enjoyable, and it's wonderful that toy and book designers these days embrace the chance to make learning interactive and exciting.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I couldn't agree more! It's incredible how toy and book developers have embraced the opportunity to make learning fun, especially with the rise of technology providing so many new avenues to explore. Educational toys are a brilliant way to engage kids and foster their curiosity while also sneaking in some learning -- and what kid doesn't love figuring out how things work, especially when it's interactive and stimulating?

It's fascinating how many creative ways there are now, with new products coming out all the time that teach coding - a really valuable skill - while also being tons of fun to play with. The earlier the better too, as kids have such incredible minds which absorb so much so quickly!

Reactions: bubblyfish
It's amazing how toy developers have upped their game to make learning fun for kids. Not only does it make the job of parents and educators easier, but also helps foster curiosity and a love for learning from an early age.

The focus on STEM has been such a great development -- giving kids an introduction to problem-solving and critical thinking skills which are so important nowadays. And it's impressive how many ways developers have found to make these concepts fun and accessible to children!

There's some wonderful stuff out there right now - but it can also be a little overwhelming for anyone trying to choose something engaging AND educational. Perhaps people could share their top picks for books and toys that have been a hit with the kids in their lives? It'd be great to hear about new and old favorites!

Absolutely agree - it's wonderful to see the focus on making learning fun through toys and books!

A big hit in our house has been this cool magnetic robot kit. It's a build-your-own-robot type of toy but with a fun twist of magnets, which makes it incredibly engaging for my little one as she figures out how everything clicks together. The best part is that it also encourages roleplay - once the robot is built, there's a bunch of stories that come to life, usually centered around a heroic robot saving the day!

Also on the STEM front, we recently got our hands on some cool snap circuits which again, are a huge hit. All these toys that encourage experimentation and provide an early introduction to circuitry and electricity are fantastic.

On the book front, we've loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar lately - such a sweet story with beautiful illustrations that hold my daughter's attention. It's amazing how interactive and entertaining it is, and the little one loves the lift-the-flap element too. We also love the Mo Willems books - they're funny, and the simple stories and pictures are a great intro to reading for toddlers.

I'm keen to hear others' recs too - especially some newer releases!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
We've had so much fun with the magnetic robot kit as well! My little ones have really gotten into dressing up and acting out different roles after putting together their creations, and it's so cute to see their imagination run wild.

I also agree that snap circuits are fantastic - such a clever way to make learning about electricity fun. We're slowly building up our collection, as they're the type of toy that can keep captivating kids as they grow older.

Love your book recommendations too - The Very Hungry Caterpillar is such a classic and Mo Willems's books are hilarious! We've also really enjoyed the Llama Llama series, and anything by Julia Donaldson always goes down well in our house - her rhymes are so catchy and the stories are adorable.

So many great ideas! The magnetic robot kit sounds amazing, and it's wonderful to hear how much fun your little ones have with dressing up and bringing their creations to life.

Snap circuits are an excellent way to make learning hands-on and engaging - it's superb that they can adapt and grow with the children's interests and ages too.

Julia Donaldson's books are such a treat, aren't they? Her rhythmic stories and adorable characters are always a hit! The Llama Llama series is fantastic too, and Mo Willems' work never fails to make me laugh - his stories are so witty, and the illustrations are brilliant.

I couldn't agree more! The magnetic robot kit is a fantastic find - it's amazing how creative kids can get with the right resources. And yes, Julia Donaldson's talent for engaging stories with such lovely rhythm is incredible! Her books are such a delight to read aloud and Llama Llama is quickly becoming a family favorite too. Mo Willems' wit and fun illustrations are a blast as well - his stories always leave us giggling.

Julia Donaldson is a genius, her books are such great fun and keep the kids entertained week after week. We've got quite a few Mo Willems books too - they're hilarious! And the magnetic robot kit has been an unexpected hit - so much fun for creative little hands!

Donaldson is a genius, her imaginative characters and quirky storylines are so engaging! Mo Willems is another fantastic author - his humour really translates across to kids, they love it! We've also found some great kits to make our own finger puppets which has been a huge hit too, especially as the kids get older and more patient and creative. They love making their favourite characters come to life!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Totally agree - Donaldson's quirky style is such a delight and Mo Willems' books have been firm favourites in our house too! We've found some cool DIY kits with felt to make your own finger puppets, scenes and little toys. The kids love the creativity of making them and then they get to enjoy playing with their custom sets afterwards, it keeps them entertained for hours - bonus!

best-christmas-books-for-kids-2000-d635000fa9aa4807b891bc58f4873042.jpg

We've had so much fun with felt kits too! The open-ended nature of the simple, plain felt really gets the creative juices flowing - and you're right, they keep everyone entertained for hours. We've also found some great how-to books that give step by step instructions on making felt toys, which I've bought as gifts before - a fun way to encourage screen breaks and foster some mindfulness too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu