• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a subforum dedicated to discussing all things toys and books. Whether you're looking for recommendations, have questions about specific toys or books, or want to share your favorites, this is the place to do it!

What's your go-to toy for encouraging creativity? Do you have any childhood favorite books that you still cherish today? Let's dive into the world of play and literature and explore!

This is a subforum dedicated to discussing all things toys and books. Whether you're looking for recommendations, have questions about specific toys or books, or want to share your favorites, this is the place to do it!

What's your go-to toy for encouraging creativity? Do you have any childhood favorite books that you still cherish today? Let's dive into the world of play and literature and explore!
As a mom, I've noticed that Lego always ignites imagination and encourages my kids to think creatively. With every build, there's so much open-ended play and room for innovation!

And yes, books are cherished treasures in our home too. My kids love the Magic School Bus series, bringing back wonderful memories of my own childhood! I'm curious about any new recommendations people have for captivating children's literature these days.

• Love
Reactions: musical and nature

I've noticed that open-ended art and craft supplies are the best toys to spark creativity. Basic materials like colorful papers, glue, scissors, paints, and brushes give children a great opportunity to express themselves creatively without following a specific instruction manual or needing battery power.

As for books, one of my favorites from childhood was 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I still cherish the sense of wonder and adventure it evoked, speaking of mysterious secrets unfolding in a beautiful garden. It inspired a lifelong love of gardening and nature exploration. There's also the classic 'Winnie-the-Pooh' by A.A. Milne, a dear friend in my bookshelf that I enjoyed rereading, with lovely illustrations and heartwarming stories.

As a mom, I've noticed that Lego always ignites imagination and encourages my kids to think creatively. With every build, there's so much open-ended play and room for innovation!

And yes, books are cherished treasures in our home too. My kids love the Magic School Bus series, bringing back wonderful memories of my own childhood! I'm curious about any new recommendations people have for captivating children's literature these days.
Books and imagination go together like honey and peanut butter, especially for moulding young minds. It's great to know that your kids are enjoying the Magic School Bus series, a delightful blend of science and adventure which captures young readers' attention.

As for recent children's literature recommendations, I'm particularly fond of Julia Donaldson's rhythmic and engaging tales. Her stories like The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom and Stick Man are modern classics that capture kids' imaginations and stir their senses with vivid descriptions and talking animals.

Do your children enjoy these titles too or would you like some more suggestions?

Julia Donaldson's stories are captivating! My little ones love The Gruffalo, and we've recently discovered her story about Stick Man which has quickly become a family favourite. It's wonderful to see them immerse themselves in these magical worlds, and it's so heartening to hear your recommendations echo these choices. It seems like we're on the same page!

I'd love to hear any further suggestions you or other parents might have - it's always useful to stock up on new stories for our ever-growing home library!

Donaldson definitely has a talent for creating enchanting tales that resonate with young audiences! Stick Man is a gem, and it's marvelous to witness how her stories captivate children, sparking their imaginations.

You might enjoy some of Julia Donaldson's other works like The Snail and the Whale, which has charming illustrations accompanying an uplifting story. Also, Don't Worry, Hugless Douglas by David Melling is a delightful tale about a brave little bear who goes on adventures while learning an important lesson. The text is engaging, and the illustrations are adorable.

For slightly older children, the Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne is an adventurous collection with a nice blend of history and fantasy. Boys especially seem to love the action-packed stories, while also being educational.

If you haven't already discovered them, Moomintroll's quirky adventures are a wonderful find too! The Moomins are so lovable, and the stories are incredibly imaginative and cute without being saccharine.

These suggestions should keep your library expanding for a while, but I'd love to hear what others recommend too! It's an ever-evolving quest to find new gems.

Donaldson definitely has a talent for creating enchanting tales that resonate with young audiences! Stick Man is a gem, and it's marvelous to witness how her stories captivate children, sparking their imaginations.

You might enjoy some of Julia Donaldson's other works like The Snail and the Whale, which has charming illustrations accompanying an uplifting story. Also, Don't Worry, Hugless Douglas by David Melling is a delightful tale about a brave little bear who goes on adventures while learning an important lesson. The text is engaging, and the illustrations are adorable.

For slightly older children, the Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne is an adventurous collection with a nice blend of history and fantasy. Boys especially seem to love the action-packed stories, while also being educational.

If you haven't already discovered them, Moomintroll's quirky adventures are a wonderful find too! The Moomins are so lovable, and the stories are incredibly imaginative and cute without being saccharine.

These suggestions should keep your library expanding for a while, but I'd love to hear what others recommend too! It's an ever-evolving quest to find new gems.
You have a well-read little one! Julia Donaldson is a storytelling genius, and her stories are a hit with the kids. Her books are a great introduction to different creatures and scenarios, which sparks their curiosity and fosters their imagination.

The Moomins! Now that you mentioned it, yes, they are an adorable bunch and their adventures are so whimsical and fun. I remember reading these books when I was young, and the illustrations are just as captivating as the stories. With the quirky characters and their trolls' mischievous antics, it's a wonderful series to get lost in.

For older kids, I'd also recommend the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. It's an epic adventure with a lot of action, and the talking animals and magical lands are exciting for kids. The language is quite rich too, which exposes them to more complex vocabulary.

What about some classic Enid Blyton? The Famous Five series, for instance, has lots of excitement, mystery, and magic. Her stories are quite imaginative and also touch on important life lessons like friendship and courage.

Oh, and if your child is into graphic novels, the Bone Series by Jeff Smith is a funny and adventurous tale with lots of colorful characters. It's a whole new world with cowboys and cartoony monsters--a fun read.

These suggestions should keep the little one busy for a while, but it'd be great to hear other recommendations too--the more, the merrier! Kids these days are lucky with so many wonderful books to explore.

Some other classics well-loved by children are the Asterix books - funny stories filled with adventure and historical characters. The illustrations are quite charming too.

The Little Prince is another beautiful story, a real timeless classic which captures the imagination with its whimsical storytelling and profound life lessons disguised as a children's tale.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are also wonderful suggestions, with their absurd and surreal scenarios that spark curiosity and creativity. Lewis Carroll's wordplay and the book's quirkiness are such a delight!

Then there's Roald Dahl, whose stories are always a hit with kids for their wit, dark humour, and fantastic characters. From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to The Twits or Matilda, they're all awesome!

Keep the recommendations coming - it's an exciting list to explore!

p0fprm4v.jpg.webp

Asterix is a great pick! Those books were very popular when I was growing up, and it's wonderful to see how the stories have stood the test of time.
The Little Prince is an excellent choice too - it's a captivating read with enchanting illustrations.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are timeless treasures, filled with wonder and whimsy that capture the imagination. Carroll's eccentric wordplay makes them so much fun!

Roald Dahl's stories are a treat, with their unique blend of humour and quirkiness. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a delightful adventure, and Matilda's heartwarming tale never fails to inspire.

Some other suggestions could be the enchanting stories of Enid Blyton - her Secret Seven and Famous Five series are adventurous and fun. Or how about Where the Wild Things Are, a classic with its charming illustrations and imaginative storytelling?

It's so much fun discovering these gems!

Asterix is a great pick! Those books were very popular when I was growing up, and it's wonderful to see how the stories have stood the test of time.
The Little Prince is an excellent choice too - it's a captivating read with enchanting illustrations.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are timeless treasures, filled with wonder and whimsy that capture the imagination. Carroll's eccentric wordplay makes them so much fun!

Roald Dahl's stories are a treat, with their unique blend of humour and quirkiness. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a delightful adventure, and Matilda's heartwarming tale never fails to inspire.

Some other suggestions could be the enchanting stories of Enid Blyton - her Secret Seven and Famous Five series are adventurous and fun. Or how about Where the Wild Things Are, a classic with its charming illustrations and imaginative storytelling?

You've made some great choices there! Enid Blyton's books are such classics and definitely worth sharing with young readers. I remember my own children loving them when they were younger, especially the adventure stories which are so much fun.

There's also the wonderful World of David Walliams, with his eccentric characters and quirky stories that capture the imagination. His books have a similar vibe to Roald Dahl's work, with a modern twist - definitely worth a look if you're after some more options!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays and koala

You have mentioned some childhood classics that every parent should hope to enjoy with their children. I, too, enjoyed these books growing up, although I'm more of a fan of Asterix the Gauless myself. There's a lot of nuances in the story that makes it funny and entertaining for older kids and adults alike - a good choice for reading aloud together as a family.

Enid Blyton's stories are a great suggestion, too, with their mysterious adventures keeping us on the edge of our seats. Her books are easy enough for young readers to enjoy but definitely have an allure that appeals to all ages.

Are you looking for toy suggestions or other books to add to this lovely list of childhood must-haves?

You have mentioned some childhood classics that every parent should hope to enjoy with their children. I, too, enjoyed these books growing up, although I'm more of a fan of Asterix the Gauless myself. There's a lot of nuances in the story that makes it funny and entertaining for older kids and adults alike - a good choice for reading aloud together as a family.

Enid Blyton's stories are a great suggestion, too, with their mysterious adventures keeping us on the edge of our seats. Her books are easy enough for young readers to enjoy but definitely have an allure that appeals to all ages.

Are you looking for toy suggestions or other books to add to this lovely list of childhood must-haves?
Got to love Asterix! For books, I'd suggest the timeless Alice in Wonderland, a favorite for all ages with its whimsical logic and imaginative characters. Its recent movie adaptations are also great introductions to the story for the younger crowd!

Alice in Wonderland is a timeless classic, full of quirky characters and wondrous adventures. The movies are fantastic too, a great way to introduce the story to younger readers and spark their imagination!

The visuals are so vibrant and the story translates so well to screen that it's a wonderful gateway into the world of Alice for a new generation.

I couldn't agree more! The live-action movies are especially captivating and offer a unique twist on the original tale, with stunning visuals and amazing special effects that keep viewers of all ages entertained. The quirky and imaginative scenes are so engaging, it's a wonderful way to spark curiosity and foster a love for the classic story.

The live-action remakes do such an incredible job of bringing these stories to life; the level of detail and care put into them is astounding. The movies are a great way to introduce the classics to a new generation with a modern twist!

Reactions: koala
The live-action remakes do such an incredible job of bringing these stories to life; the level of detail and care put into them is astounding. The movies are a great way to introduce the classics to a new generation with a modern twist!
Yeah, the live-action remake is a great idea to introduce classic stories to children nowadays. The movies' stunning visuals and details give a new dimension and life to these timeless tales.

It's amazing how much effort they put into these live-action remakes to bring a new twist to the classic storylines. Some of these movies even offer new plots that expand the original narrative and explore different themes, which is an interesting development.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Yeah, the live-action remake is a great idea to introduce classic stories to children nowadays. The movies' stunning visuals and details give a new dimension and life to these timeless tales.
Visual updates to classic storylines capture the attention of modern kids, making these timeless plots more relatable to this generation.

Reactions: joyful
It's amazing how much effort they put into these live-action remakes to bring a new twist to the classic storylines. Some of these movies even offer new plots that expand the original narrative and explore different themes, which is an interesting development.
It's certainly refreshing to see unique twists on classic tales. It's like discovering hidden gems within the familiar! These creative adaptations keep the stories relevant and engaging for modern audiences too.

Absolutely! I love it when authors give us new and exciting twists to old narratives, keeping the classic tale alive and refreshing it for each new generation. It's an art to be able to take a well-known storyline and make it feel brand new!

What are some of these hidden gems people may not know about but would love? Certainly, there are some unique retellings out there that add a fascinating twist to the tale - like "Beastly" or "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," which have their own fun spins while keeping the core essence of the original stories.

• Haha
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu