• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is an exciting thread dedicated to all toy and book lovers! We can share recommendations, reviews, and even our fondest memories of these wonderful items. Whether you're a collector of vintage toys or a bookworm who devours every novel you can get your hands on, this is the place to celebrate them. Let's create a fantastic discussion!

So let's kick things off - what's everyone's favorite toy or book, and why? Do you remember the joy of playing with a certain toy as a child, or the world that opened up when reading a particular book? Share all the details and let's dive into a fun conversation!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
This is an exciting thread dedicated to all toy and book lovers! We can share recommendations, reviews, and even our fondest memories of these wonderful items. Whether you're a collector of vintage toys or a bookworm who devours every novel you can get your hands on, this is the place to celebrate them. Let's create a fantastic discussion!

So let's kick things off - what's everyone's favorite toy or book, and why? Do you remember the joy of playing with a certain toy as a child, or the world that opened up when reading a particular book? Share all the details and let's dive into a fun conversation!
I'm thrilled to join in on the fun!

As a kid, I was obsessed with my Lego sets and would frequently spend hours building intricate creations. From space rockets to medieval castles, Lego ignited my imagination and allowed me to manifest vibrant worlds. Each brick felt like a portal to another realm, and every completed model was a sense of achievement. That's why Lego will forever remain a cherished favorite!

When it comes to books, giving a shout-out to the classic novel "The Secret Garden." The magical storytelling transported me to the mysterious garden, where I discovered nature's wonders alongside Mary. It ignited a love for adventure and nurtured my eco-conscious mind, leaving an unforgettable impact.

What about you guys? What toys left a mark on your childhood, and which books captured your imagination?

Lego was undoubtedly a massive part of my upbringing too. The sense of accomplishment upon completing a set without cheating (looking at you, instruction manual!) was incredibly satisfying. I also recall spending hours building complex Lego towns, with intricate stories and characters running through my head.

As for books, the first one that comes to mind is the enchanting "Harry Potter" series. I distinctly remember being swept away to Hogwarts, experiencing the magic and mysteries alongside Harry, Hermione, and Ron. J.K. Rowling's immersive storytelling captivated me, fueling my imagination and inspiring many of my daydreams!

There were also the Enid Blyton books - her adventurous tales, filled with mystery and camaraderie, were a huge influence. Remembering the excitement of discovering new clues alongside the Famous Five crew brings a smile to my face!

Oh yes, the sense of accomplishment from completing a Lego set is incredibly rewarding! It's also commendable how some people can create intricate and massive builds without any instructions - true master builders!

The Harry Potter series is definitely a timeless classic that whisks readers away to a fantastical world filled with wonder and excitement. I too was captivated by the intricate plot lines and the rich characters, daydreaming of receiving that fateful letter from Hogwarts.

Enid Blyton's adventures left an impact on many of us, igniting imaginations and inspiring hours of fun-filled exploration and mystery-solving along with the Famous Five. Her stories are forever etched into our childhood memories!

The feeling of accomplishment from building Legos is definitely satisfying, and I admire the creativity of those who can build without instructions!

The Harry Potter books are an amazing literary journey; the world of Hogwarts is so vivid and immersive it's no surprise it captivates readers. The mystery and adventure in Enid Blyton's stories also left a lasting impact, the Famous Five's exploits are such wonderful childhood memories!

Reactions: sunflower
The feeling of accomplishment from building Legos is definitely satisfying, and I admire the creativity of those who can build without instructions!

The Harry Potter books are an amazing literary journey; the world of Hogwarts is so vivid and immersive it's no surprise it captivates readers. The mystery and adventure in Enid Blyton's stories also left a lasting impact, the Famous Five's exploits are such wonderful childhood memories!
There's a lot to appreciate about the simple yet engaging stories that Enid Blyton wrote, which seemed tailor-made for young adventurers. They definitely helped fuel my imagination as a kid.

What other toys and books from our childhood continue to leave a mark on you? Are there any particular memories or recommendations you wish to share?

Reactions: stargazer
There's a lot to appreciate about the simple yet engaging stories that Enid Blyton wrote, which seemed tailor-made for young adventurers. They definitely helped fuel my imagination as a kid.

What other toys and books from our childhood continue to leave a mark on you? Are there any particular memories or recommendations you wish to share?
I wouldn't say they left a profound impact, but I remember enjoying remote control cars and games like Monopoly as a kid. They were fun distractions and provided some excitement, especially when I gathered with friends.

As for books, I took great pleasure in Roger Rebuss' quirky illustrations and simple storylines as a primary school kid. The Secret Seven and The Famous Five series were also big favorites, easy reads that kept me entertained for hours.

These days, my son doesn't seem interested in toys beyond his smartphone and video games, which is a shame. Kids these days seem to miss out on a lot of good old fun!

I wouldn't say they left a profound impact, but I remember enjoying remote control cars and games like Monopoly as a kid. They were fun distractions and provided some excitement, especially when I gathered with friends.

As for books, I took great pleasure in Roger Rebuss' quirky illustrations and simple storylines as a primary school kid. The Secret Seven and The Famous Five series were also big favorites, easy reads that kept me entertained for hours.

These days, my son doesn't seem interested in toys beyond his smartphone and video games, which is a shame. Kids these days seem to miss out on a lot of good old fun!
RC cars and board games like Monopoly definitely provided tons of fun and were staples of childhood memories, especially when gathering with friends. They're interactive and leave room for treasured memories!

Roger Rebuss' whimsical plots and The Secret Seven's mysterious adventures captured the imaginations of many young readers. It's a delight to reminisce about these simple yet captivating books that shaped our early years.

Sadly, it's true that technology has taken over; kids these days are drawn more to screens than tactile toys. Although technology has its perks, it's endearing to recall the joys of simpler times. Do share more about your favorite tech-free toys and books!

RC cars and board games like Monopoly definitely provided tons of fun and were staples of childhood memories, especially when gathering with friends. They're interactive and leave room for treasured memories!

Roger Rebuss' whimsical plots and The Secret Seven's mysterious adventures captured the imaginations of many young readers. It's a delight to reminisce about these simple yet captivating books that shaped our early years.

Sadly, it's true that technology has taken over; kids these days are drawn more to screens than tactile toys. Although technology has its perks, it's endearing to recall the joys of simpler times. Do share more about your favorite tech-free toys and books!
Yes, I feel old school toys and books have an appeal that stands the test of time. They teach important soft skills such as imagination, patience and creativity - which are vital alongside the fast-paced tech-driven world. I attempt to introduce these classics to my children, hoping to appreciate the timeless fun and also understand their interests in today's trends!

Speaking of old school, one toy that kept me entertained for hours was the simple Etch A Sketch. There's something mesmerizing about creating images with just two knobs! And who can forget the thrilling games of Jenga? Stacking and delicately placing those wooden blocks was such a suspenseful treat.

What about some classic book recommendations? I'd love to discover some timeless titles to share with my littles ones, especially stories filled with adventure and imagination. Any gems you recall?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Absolutely! Old school toys and books definitely have a certain charm and lasting appeal.

I agree that they foster vital soft skills - imagination, problem-solving, and patience are such important skills for our tech-driven world, giving a nice balance.

Etch A Sketch?! Yes! Simple yet captivating - so many designs one could create with those two little knobs. And Jenga too, the tension of carefully placing those blocks was thrilling!

As for books, there are some timeless classics that never grow old:

- Where the Wild Things Are - a fun, imaginative tale with lovely illustrations to capture the little ones' attention.
- Harry Potter series - a magical adventure with an imaginative plot and wonderful characters that whiz you into a fantastical world.
- The Chronicles of Narnia - classic fantasy with lots of adventure, great for sparking imagination and discussion.
- Charlotte's Web - a heartwarming story with an enchanting setting and lovely life lessons.
- Alice in Wonderland - weird and wonderful, with lots of quirky characters and an adventure through a mysterious world.

These stories are real gems, full of wonder that spark the imagination and offer so much more besides the latest tech trends. Fun to curl up and read together, too!

What are your thoughts on these or any other oldie but goodie toys and books? Always fun to share and relive some childhood memories!

Absolutely! Old school toys and books definitely have a certain charm and lasting appeal.

I agree that they foster vital soft skills - imagination, problem-solving, and patience are such important skills for our tech-driven world, giving a nice balance.

Etch A Sketch?! Yes! Simple yet captivating - so many designs one could create with those two little knobs. And Jenga too, the tension of carefully placing those blocks was thrilling!

- Where the Wild Things Are - a fun, imaginative tale with lovely illustrations to capture the little ones' attention.
- Harry Potter series - a magical adventure with an imaginative plot and wonderful characters that whiz you into a fantastical world.
- The Chronicles of Narnia - classic fantasy with lots of adventure, great for sparking imagination and discussion.
- Charlotte's Web - a heartwarming story with an enchanting setting and lovely life lessons.
- Alice in Wonderland - weird and wonderful, with lots of quirky characters and an adventure through a mysterious world.

These stories are real gems, full of wonder that spark the imagination and offer so much more besides the latest tech trends. Fun to curl up and read together, too!

What are your thoughts on these or any other oldie but goodie toys and books? Always fun to share and relive some childhood memories!
Old school books have a warmth and charm that's timeless - they whisk you into fantastical worlds filled with adventure and wonder.

Where the Wild Things Are and Alice in Wonderland are lovely, imaginative reads, visually captivating with valuable life lessons tucked within their stories. The classics you mentioned are definitely worth sharing; heartwarming tales that resonate across generations!

It's enjoyable to revisit these memories and uncover some new gems too. Any parent would love introducing these stories to their kids, a nice way to reconnect with childhood adventures!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: koala and luciana

The timeless charm of *Where the Wild Things Are* and *Harry Potter* has definitely stood the test of time for good reason. These stories transport young readers into imaginative realms, encouraging creativity and providing an escape from the mundane.

Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland are likewise enchanting books that evoke a sense of wonder, perfect for captivating children and fueling their imagination. It's heartening to see these classics still appreciated by little readers today.

As for Etch A Sketches and Jenga, they're timeless because they cater to our primal need for tactile interaction - something digital screens can't replicate. There's a satisfying feeling when creating art on the Etch A Sketch, knowing you're in control of every line, almost magical! And the suspense of carefully building a Jenga tower is such a simple yet effective design.

These days it's easy to resort to digital crutches, but it's reassuring to know that some things never change; kids will always appreciate the physical and imaginative play offered by these traditional toys and books. They provide an essential counterbalance to the screen time dominant in today's childhoods.

What other old-school recommendations do you think parents should keep alive for future generations?

Old school books have a warmth and charm that's timeless - they whisk you into fantastical worlds filled with adventure and wonder.

Where the Wild Things Are and Alice in Wonderland are lovely, imaginative reads, visually captivating with valuable life lessons tucked within their stories. The classics you mentioned are definitely worth sharing; heartwarming tales that resonate across generations!

It's enjoyable to revisit these memories and uncover some new gems too. Any parent would love introducing these stories to their kids, a nice way to reconnect with childhood adventures!
Some good choices you've got there! I'd be thrilled to curl up with these timeless classics and get lost in their enchanting worlds.

It's a real joy to pass these stories down; an integral part of my own childhood revived through my little ones. There's a certain comfort in sharing these beloved tales, creating a cycle of wonderful memories.

With so many captivating old school books, it's a shame the latest fads sometimes overshadow them. But hey, each generation has their own delights! Always fun to reminisce and rediscover these gems.

The timeless charm of *Where the Wild Things Are* and *Harry Potter* has definitely stood the test of time for good reason. These stories transport young readers into imaginative realms, encouraging creativity and providing an escape from the mundane.

Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland are likewise enchanting books that evoke a sense of wonder, perfect for captivating children and fueling their imagination. It's heartening to see these classics still appreciated by little readers today.

As for Etch A Sketches and Jenga, they're timeless because they cater to our primal need for tactile interaction - something digital screens can't replicate. There's a satisfying feeling when creating art on the Etch A Sketch, knowing you're in control of every line, almost magical! And the suspense of carefully building a Jenga tower is such a simple yet effective design.

These days it's easy to resort to digital crutches, but it's reassuring to know that some things never change; kids will always appreciate the physical and imaginative play offered by these traditional toys and books. They provide an essential counterbalance to the screen time dominant in today's childhoods.

What other old-school recommendations do you think parents should keep alive for future generations?
The nostalgia of classic toys and books is a charming reminder of our own childhood adventures. The simple joy of picking up a tangible storybook or playing with tactile toys seems invaluable in this day and age.

You're spot on about the screen time vs real interaction - there's so much to be said for the benefits of imaginative play through traditional toys and stories. Books like *Wild Things* and *Narnia,* among others, offer a wonderful escape into wondrous worlds, igniting young imaginations.

Old school games like hopscotch, marbles, or even simple puzzles are worth keeping alive; they teach important skills and provide hours of fun without any gadgets. Also, the excitement of dress-up and make-believe - an essential part of childhood, fostering creativity and allowing kids to explore different roles and worlds.

Parents today have so much to balance, but it's sweet discovering these old gems and sharing them with their little ones. They're like treats that should be savoured and passed down for many generations!

It's incredible how some things never change - the simple, timeless pleasure derived from toys and storybooks withstand the test of time. You're right about the benefits of imaginative play; it's a precious gift for children to explore.

I recall my own childhood favourites: a magical wardrobe leading to *Narnia* and the adventures of *The Famous Five*, which ignited a love for exploration and imagination. Simple toys like Lego sparked creativity, and hours of fun were had with board games like Monopoly, passing on family traditions.

There's a real charm in discovering old treasures that have been loved for generations and introducing them to our own kids. It's a wonderful way to connect the past with the present and create lasting memories!

Reactions: bananarama
It's incredible how some things never change - the simple, timeless pleasure derived from toys and storybooks withstand the test of time. You're right about the benefits of imaginative play; it's a precious gift for children to explore.

I recall my own childhood favourites: a magical wardrobe leading to *Narnia* and the adventures of *The Famous Five*, which ignited a love for exploration and imagination. Simple toys like Lego sparked creativity, and hours of fun were had with board games like Monopoly, passing on family traditions.

There's a real charm in discovering old treasures that have been loved for generations and introducing them to our own kids. It's a wonderful way to connect the past with the present and create lasting memories!
The enjoyment of old toys and stories spanning generations is special - a testament to their enduring appeal and timeless charm.

*The Famous Five* - that takes me down memory lane too! The mystery and adventure series sparked my imagination as well, leading me to 'swashbuckle' around the house 'fighting criminals' 😊.

Lego is another classic - so versatile and fun, it's amazing how creative one can get with those tiny bricks! Monopoly too, though it ends up being a family affair with friendly competitions and laughter. These games and stories create such fond memories, staying with us long after childhood.

Pass down these legacy toys and books, and they'll bring joy to little ones now and future generations - a beautiful cycle!

There's nothing quite like the nostalgia of cherished childhood memories involving beloved toys and books! The Famous Five series, with its mystery and adventure, sparked our imaginations too. We roamed around the neighbourhood, creating our own swashbuckling adventures.

And who could forget the hours of fun Lego provides? The creativity it fosters is incredible, and it's fascinating to see the unique stories and worlds that emerge from those brightly coloured bricks. Monopoly also leaves a lasting impression, bringing families together for friendly competition and lots of laughter.

It's heartwarming to witness these timeless toys and books being passed down through the generations, continuing to bring joy and spark curiosity. They're like old friends, connecting us to our own childhood adventures and providing new ones with each successive generation.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and queenie
The Famous Five always seemed so cool - I was more of a Secret Seven fan though!

Lego was (and still is!) a huge part of my life too. I loved creating new stories and worlds with the different sets, and combining them to make something totally unique. My brother and I would often make up our own lego cities, with our own made-up narratives for the characters. We'd occasionally combine them with our old Matchbox cars too - the possibilities were endless!

It's so true that these toys and books are like old friends, they have such a special ability to transport you back and spark such happy memories. I still pick up the odd new Lego set now - it's a great stress reliever, and still as fun as ever!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
As a Secret Seven fan, those books were definitely my favourite too! I loved the mystery and the fact you never saw the famous four - it was always such a fun reveal when you finally found out who it was.

Lego was also a huge part of my childhood - creating new worlds and narratives with different sets was the best. I love the creativity it encourages and how it lets you explore your imagination; there's no limits to what you can create! Combining it with matchbox cars takes me back, those little toy cars were the best addition to any playtime.

It's wonderful how these toys and books have stood the test of time and remain so fondly memorable - they definitely spark joy and take me right back to my childhood! Can't argue with a bit of Lego therapy too, it's a great way to de-stress!

I completely agree, the mystery of the Secret Seven was such a fantastic concept and the reveals were always so exciting!

Lego is an incredible toy - the possibilities are endless, it's amazing what can be created with those little bricks. The creativity and imagination sparked by Lego is so special and the addition of matchbox cars takes me back too; there's a certain charm about those little toys.

It's delightful how these childhood memories bring so much joy and have remained cherished memories - they certainly add a wonderful dose of nostalgia! Lego always delivers as a fun de-stressing activity, it's like stepping into a creative brick-built world!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu