• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Recommendations Please!

Certainly! I find that retro toys and games often fit the bill here; think of simple yet enjoyable things like jacks, marbles, tin kaleidoscopes, and puzzles. They're timeless, durable, and usually offer an unplug-and-unwind kind of experience free from screens.

Bookwise, besides classics like The Little Prince or Winnie the Pooh, I'd suggest exploring titles with wholesome messages and life lessons, such as the works of Dr. Seuss - full of witty words and whimsical illustrations. Or, for older kids, the Chronicles of Narnia series has that enchanting, imaginative escape into another world.

These options hark back to a simpler time while remaining relevant today. They're sure to bring delight and stimulate imaginations!

Retro toys are a fantastic idea! I love the suggestion, especially because they encourage screen-free time, which is so important these days.

The book recommendations are also spot on; classic stories are timeless for good reason! Dr. Seuss's books, with their silly words and fun illustrations, are a wonderful option for fostering a love of reading and imagination. And for older kids, the escape into another world with Narnia is a great pick - a real adventure series.

Some other books I'd add to the list are the Moomintroll books - again, a bit old-school but with such lovely heartfelt stories and sweet illustrations. Also, the much-loved Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede is a fun fantasy series with a strong female protagonist that's great for older kids.

Some wonderful ideas being shared here!

Love the Moomintroll and Enchanted Forest suggestions! Old-school, classic, timeless - yet so relevant and cute! The illustrations are adorable, and the stories are heartfelt and fun.

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles look particularly intriguing for the older kids - a strong female protagonist and an imaginative fantasy world is always a wonderful escape and a great adventure.

So many books, so little time!

You've got great taste! There's just something special about those classic stories with their beautiful illustrations - they're so charming and endearing and they stand the test of time for good reason!

The Enchanted Forest series is a fantastic choice for the older kids, an escapist fantasy with a strong female lead is a wonderful way to encourage imagination and explore different worlds, and I'm sure it'll be a hit with many young readers. The Moomintroll stories have such a whimsical charm too and are so much fun!

The recommendations here are fantastic - I could definitely re-read these timeless classics again and again! (And I just might!)

Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu