• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Recommend your kids' favorites

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your little one's favorite toys and books here! We all want to keep our kids entertained, so let's pool together our tried and tested recommendations. From classic favorites to new discoveries, I'm sure we'll uncover some gems!

I'll go first - my toddler absolutely loves this sensory toy that encourages fine motor skills and color recognition. It's a huge hit in our household!

What are your top picks?

Share your little one's favorite toys and books here! We all want to keep our kids entertained, so let's pool together our tried and tested recommendations. From classic favorites to new discoveries, I'm sure we'll uncover some gems!

I'll go first - my toddler absolutely loves this sensory toy that encourages fine motor skills and color recognition. It's a huge hit in our household!

What are your top picks?
My 7-year-old son is into Marvel superheroes, so he goes crazy over any superhero figurines and playsets. He recently started reading the Marvel comics too!

My 7-year-old son is into Marvel superheroes, so he goes crazy over any superhero figurines and playsets. He recently started reading the Marvel comics too!
My son loves his superhero toys too. He has a collection of Avengers action figures and often acts out scenes from the movies.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
My daughter is also into her superheroes, she has a great Cape that's actually a dress up for kids but it looks like a cape! She runs around as a different superhero daily - usually Wonder Woman though! Also loves her Lego and recently got into Harry Potter - the toys are amazing and the characters are so cool apparently. Books...we are big fans of Julia Donaldson, especially the Gruffalo and also Stick Man. They have such fun, rhythmic language which is great for reading aloud and the illustrations are fab too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and eternity
My daughter is also into her superheroes, she has a great Cape that's actually a dress up for kids but it looks like a cape! She runs around as a different superhero daily - usually Wonder Woman though! Also loves her Lego and recently got into Harry Potter - the toys are amazing and the characters are so cool apparently. Books...we are big fans of Julia Donaldson, especially the Gruffalo and also Stick Man. They have such fun, rhythmic language which is great for reading aloud and the illustrations are fab too.
The Marvel and DC superheroes are quite a hit with the little ones! It's great to see them using their imagination and creativity through play.

Julia Donaldson's books are lovely - my boy enjoys the rhymes and funny characters, especially The Gruffalo! We seem to have a lot of similar taste in keeping our kids entertained.

The Marvel and DC superheroes are quite a hit with the little ones! It's great to see them using their imagination and creativity through play.

Julia Donaldson's books are lovely - my boy enjoys the rhymes and funny characters, especially The Gruffalo! We seem to have a lot of similar taste in keeping our kids entertained.
That's cool that you also enjoy Julia Donaldson's work! Her stories' rhythmic nature makes them very engaging for the little ones. Does your son like Stick Man too? That one's a real hoot, with lots of laughs and some great life lessons tucked in!

Reactions: joyful and eternity

Yes, it's always fun discovering other parents who share similar interests and recommendations. It makes parenting a little bit easier!

Reactions: bookworm
That's cool that you also enjoy Julia Donaldson's work! Her stories' rhythmic nature makes them very engaging for the little ones. Does your son like Stick Man too? That one's a real hoot, with lots of laughs and some great life lessons tucked in!
My son enjoys Stick Man's adventure, especially the part where he tries to save his family after being taken away by the fire! It's hilarious and sad at the same time, definitely a great story with an important message about the importance of belonging and being together. He'd giggle and pretend to run away from the fireplace every time we read it, it's adorable.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and queenie
Yes, it's always fun discovering other parents who share similar interests and recommendations. It makes parenting a little bit easier!
It certainly helps to have a pool of ideas to tap into, especially with the many new and cool toys and books out there. I'm sure plenty of parents will appreciate this thread and might discover some fun additions for their little ones!
On the topic of sensory play, have you guys tried any kinetic sand or slime? They're messier but oh-so-satisfying for the touch and so popular with the kids these days!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
It certainly helps to have a pool of ideas to tap into, especially with the many new and cool toys and books out there. I'm sure plenty of parents will appreciate this thread and might discover some fun additions for their little ones!
On the topic of sensory play, have you guys tried any kinetic sand or slime? They're messier but oh-so-satisfying for the touch and so popular with the kids these days!
My son is not a fan of messy play, so we haven't explored kinetic sand or slime yet! I'm sure he'd enjoy the sensory experience, but the cleanup might be a challenge. We might give it a go anyway - the satisfaction of playing with those textural toys seems worth the mess.

We found kinetic sand and slime to be a lot less messy than expected! A small play mat or tray with sides containing the sensory experience seemed to do the trick for us, and it was so worth it - especially as they got older and started creating more intricate designs with the sand and add-ins. We also got some satisfaction out of letting them try it all out in a bath once; easy clean up and the kids loved it!

We found kinetic sand and slime to be a lot less messy than expected! A small play mat or tray with sides containing the sensory experience seemed to do the trick for us, and it was so worth it - especially as they got older and started creating more intricate designs with the sand and add-ins. We also got some satisfaction out of letting them try it all out in a bath once; easy clean up and the kids loved it!
That sounds like a great idea to contain the mess! A bath full of sensory fun does sound inviting, and I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the tip!

That's good to know that kinetic sand and slime may not be as messy as they look! I think I'll give them a shot since my son enjoys hands-on, sensory play.

The bath idea is a great one! It's easier when they're contained in one place haha. Might as well let them have their fun while stuck at home these days. Thanks for the tip!

You are very welcome! Yes, it's definitely a win when they're entertained and contained in one place 😄 Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
It's so much fun to watch them experience these things for the first time! Kinetic Sand is a huge hit in our house too and seems to never get old for my kids. Even my teenager will sometimes pull it out to play when she's bored! I think the slime will be a big success at our house as well - especially with all the different add-ons you can get to make it smell good or feel different textures. Have fun!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and koala
Kinetic sand is such a great sensation - almost mesmerizing. It's one of those toys that kids love but also great for sensory play. Slime is definitely a big hit especially with the different add-ons! There are so many fun options out there these days!

Kinetic sand and slime continue to remain popular here too! My kids also enjoy adding little toys/figurines with their kinetic sand - seems like it doubles the fun!

Kinetic sand and slime continue to remain popular here too! My kids also enjoy adding little toys/figurines with their kinetic sand - seems like it doubles the fun!
Yes, My son has a collection of tiny vehicles that he loves incorporating into his sandplay. It's amazing how creative children can get with these simple toys.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu