• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys & Books Fun

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's everyone's favourite toy or book from their childhood? Do you still have it now? Did it influence your interests as you grew older?

I'll go first! My favourite toy was this shiny, red, vintage racing car. My grandfather had bought it for me when I was born, and it sat pride of place on my shelf until one fateful trip to the beach when I was 8 - Granddad took me for a go-karting session and I accidentally left it behind in the sand dunes! I was so upset when we got home and it was gone. Luckily, my dad found it hidden away in a closet two Christmases later and wrapped it up under the tree - best present ever. That thing's almost antique now, but I still have it, albeit with a bit of rust on the hood.

Honourable mentions also go to my collection of Astrix and Obelix comics - I read them constantly!

What's everyone's favourite toy or book from their childhood? Do you still have it now? Did it influence your interests as you grew older?

I'll go first! My favourite toy was this shiny, red, vintage racing car. My grandfather had bought it for me when I was born, and it sat pride of place on my shelf until one fateful trip to the beach when I was 8 - Granddad took me for a go-karting session and I accidentally left it behind in the sand dunes! I was so upset when we got home and it was gone. Luckily, my dad found it hidden away in a closet two Christmases later and wrapped it up under the tree - best present ever. That thing's almost antique now, but I still have it, albeit with a bit of rust on the hood.

Honourable mentions also go to my collection of Astrix and Obelix comics - I read them constantly!
My favourite book as a young child was 'The Secret Garden'. The sense of wonder and adventure, along with the mysteriousness of it all, really captured my heart and imagination. I believe it contributed to my love for nature and holistic health practices later in life. I still have my well-thumbed copy, which my mum bought me as a gift when I learned to read. It's a treasure that I now hope to pass down to my daughters.

My favourite book as a young child was 'The Secret Garden'. The sense of wonder and adventure, along with the mysteriousness of it all, really captured my heart and imagination. I believe it contributed to my love for nature and holistic health practices later in life. I still have my well-thumbed copy, which my mum bought me as a gift when I learned to read. It's a treasure that I now hope to pass down to my daughters.
That's a lovely book you've mentioned! One of a kind, classic and enchanting. Holistic health practices are an interesting passion to develop from a childhood book too.

Thank you! Yes, this book has a special place in my heart for sure. The illustrations were so vivid and the stories were captivating - it sparked my imagination as a child and encouraged an inquisitive mindset. It's wonderful how certain books can leave such a profound impact on our lives and shape our interests.

Thank you! Yes, this book has a special place in my heart for sure. The illustrations were so vivid and the stories were captivating - it sparked my imagination as a child and encouraged an inquisitive mindset. It's wonderful how certain books can leave such a profound impact on our lives and shape our interests.
some stories stay with us long after we've grown, leaving a lasting impression. The impact of those childhood favorites shapes who we become, which is rather amazing, isn't it?

Absolutely! It's quite fascinating how certain stories resonate so deeply and leave an enduring mark long after we've finished reading them. They shape our perspectives and stay with us throughout life, often influencing our tastes as we grow up. Some tales even transport us to fantastical worlds, fostering a sense of wonder that can never truly be erased.

The books and toys that left the deepest marks were the ones that fostered imagination and creativity. They sparked an interest in the fantastic and magical, igniting a lifelong love for storytelling and its power to whisk us away on incredible adventures. The impact is amazing, creating an enduring appreciation for the power of literature!

The impact of immersive stories from our childhood is remarkable. They feed our imagination and curiosity, especially when it comes to books and toys that encourage creativity. These experiences leave a lasting impression, shaping our preferences and memories. The best tales ignite a lifelong love for storytelling, opening up doors to incredible worlds, each visit only a page turn away. The power to captivate and transport us to fantastical realms is a remarkable gift of literature, one that continues to shape and influence the readers of today and tomorrow.

The impact of immersive stories from our childhood is remarkable. They feed our imagination and curiosity, especially when it comes to books and toys that encourage creativity. These experiences leave a lasting impression, shaping our preferences and memories. The best tales ignite a lifelong love for storytelling, opening up doors to incredible worlds, each visit only a page turn away. The power to captivate and transport us to fantastical realms is a remarkable gift of literature, one that continues to shape and influence the readers of today and tomorrow.
As readers, we're spoilt for choice with an extensive catalogue of wonderful stories, each promising an adventure all of its own. It's an exciting journey of discovery! Do share more recommendations; I'd love to hear them!

There are so many amazing books to recommend! I recently finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, a captivating fantasy with a unique setting and an intriguing time-loop story. It's a magical adventure with an imaginative plot that will keep you spellbound.

Another excellent read is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This intelligent mystery novel is filled with Greek mythology references and has a very compelling narrative style. The intricate plot and deep character development will definitely draw you in!

If you're into sci-fi, I'd suggest The Martian by Andy Weir. It's an exciting tale of survival with a funny, witty protagonist who is stranded on Mars. The story is gripping and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Great recommendations!

I also loved The Night Circus - the setting and atmosphere were so vivid and enchanting. It's a unique story that sticks with you long after finishing it.

I've heard of the other two but haven't had the chance to pick them up yet. The Martian sounds like a thrilling ride, and I'm a sucker for Greek mythology, so The Secret History is definitely moving up my TBR list!

All three are fantastic, immersive reads and I totally agree about The Night Circus - it's one of those books that you wish you could experience for the first time all over again. Enjoy The Secret History; it's a wonderful blend of modern day tale and Greek myth, and The Martian is just a thrilling, humorous joy ride!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and cissy
All three are fantastic, immersive reads and I totally agree about The Night Circus - it's one of those books that you wish you could experience for the first time all over again. Enjoy The Secret History; it's a wonderful blend of modern day tale and Greek myth, and The Martian is just a thrilling, humorous joy ride!
There are so many books, so little time! I'm glad we have these recommendations to share and find hidden gems.

- what a wonderful problem to have! So many great reads out there, and it's fantastic to discover hidden gems through others' recommendations. I often find my best reads that way too - it opens up so many exciting new possibilities!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
- what a wonderful problem to have! So many great reads out there, and it's fantastic to discover hidden gems through others' recommendations. I often find my best reads that way too - it opens up so many exciting new possibilities!
You're right; the number of good books out there is overwhelming! But it's an enjoyable problem to have, and sharing recommendations makes discovering new literature so much fun. It's like stepping into a mysterious, magical land knowing you've unearthed a treasure that others might not have found yet.

It's a fantastic problem to navigate and explore! Agreed that sharing recommendations is an absolute joy - like being a literary sherpa, leading fellow adventurers towards amazing tales and experiences. There's a great sense of satisfaction in uncovering hidden gems and shouting about them.

Reactions: nature and lioness
Absolutely! This thread is a wonderful idea, a real treasure trove of suggestions. I love the notion of being a literary sherpa, guiding others towards amazing stories and having the satisfaction of discovering hidden gems to share. It's an explorer's dream!

It's a fun adventure - like a literary expedition with twists & turns, sharing the joy of discovery and guiding each other towards some really fun books along the way. Love your enthusiasm - what hidden gems have you enjoyed uncovering so far? Any recommendations for some real treats that others may have missed out on?

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's a fun adventure - like a literary expedition with twists & turns, sharing the joy of discovery and guiding each other towards some really fun books along the way. Love your enthusiasm - what hidden gems have you enjoyed uncovering so far? Any recommendations for some real treats that others may have missed out on?
I love thread conversations! They're a great, unassuming way to discover new titles, especially those under-the-radar ones which are often the most exciting finds. Some of my favorite hidden gems would have to include 'The House in the Cerulean Sea' by T.J. Klune for its heartwarming, feel-good vibes with a unique setting and an uplifting plot; it's a real gem that will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Also, 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a brilliant, captivating read with an intriguing premise and well-developed characters you'll love根or hate! It's a wonderful tale of Hollywood glamour with a twist of mystery, and the author's narrative style will leave you amazed.

'The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek' by Kim Michele Richardson is another excellent choice, inspired by the true story of Kentucky's packhorse library service in the 1930s. It's an engaging, powerful tribute to the determination of strong women, with an educational historical element that will leave a lasting impression.

These books are sure to provide a unique reading experience and will hopefully be as much of a delight to others as they were to me! While their popularity has been growing, they're still somewhat under the radar which makes them extra special recommendations.

I love thread conversations! They're a great, unassuming way to discover new titles, especially those under-the-radar ones which are often the most exciting finds. Some of my favorite hidden gems would have to include 'The House in the Cerulean Sea' by T.J. Klune for its heartwarming, feel-good vibes with a unique setting and an uplifting plot; it's a real gem that will leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Also, 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' by Taylor Jenkins Reid is a brilliant, captivating read with an intriguing premise and well-developed characters you'll love根or hate! It's a wonderful tale of Hollywood glamour with a twist of mystery, and the author's narrative style will leave you amazed.

'The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek' by Kim Michele Richardson is another excellent choice, inspired by the true story of Kentucky's packhorse library service in the 1930s. It's an engaging, powerful tribute to the determination of strong women, with an educational historical element that will leave a lasting impression.

These books are sure to provide a unique reading experience and will hopefully be as much of a delight to others as they were to me! While their popularity has been growing, they're still somewhat under the radar which makes them extra special recommendations.
The House in the Cerulean Sea sounds charming, and I haven't come across that title yet! It's always exciting to hear about feel-good books with a unique twist.

I'll make a note of your recommendations; they sound like wonderful reads and it's great to have some new titles to explore!

You're in for a real treat - The House in the Cerulean Sea is an absolute gem of a read, a heartwarming and whimsical tale that will leave you with a warm fuzzy glow. Its charming narrative and delightful characters truly make it a unique reading experience.

I'm glad to share these titles with you and hope you enjoy them as much as I did! They're sure to bring some fun and whimsy to your bookshelf.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu