• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toys Books Fun

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What toy from your childhood do you wish they still made?

I loved my old Etch-a-Sketch when I was a kid, but I don't see them in stores anymore. Such a simple concept, yet so addictively fun! I'd love to see them bring it back. Any other old toys you'd like to see make a comeback?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
I used to enjoy playing with my Easy-Bake Oven. It was so much fun making those tiny cakes and treats, and of course, decorating them! I agree, simple toys often turn out to be the most fun.

Also, remembering the thrill of getting a new toy and being content with just one or two special toys at a time - instead of having a room full of them, which seems to be so common these days.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's true - sometimes simple is best! I remember my Easy-Bake Oven too; it was such a special toy because it seemed so grown up and encouraged creativity. And I completely agree with you on having fewer, special toys. It seems these days there's almost this pressure to keep up with the latest and greatest, but really, some old-fashioned, classic toys are all kids (and adults!) need for hours of fun.

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that fewer toys can foster more creativity; children often gravitate towards the boxes and wrapping rather than store-bought toys anyway! I like the notion that simpler toys leave room for the imagination to grow, and agreed - there's a certain timelessness to some of these classics. It's lovely when toys encourage bonding too - over the years, special memories are formed around them. I'm sure many will agree with you on the retro toy front!

I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that fewer toys can foster more creativity; children often gravitate towards the boxes and wrapping rather than store-bought toys anyway! I like the notion that simpler toys leave room for the imagination to grow, and agreed - there's a certain timelessness to some of these classics. It's lovely when toys encourage bonding too - over the years, special memories are formed around them. I'm sure many will agree with you on the retro toy front!
Some kids these days may not know what they're missing! Classic toys have an charming simplicity that encourages all sorts of creativity. The memories made with these timeless toys often seem to stay with us for a long, long time.

Yeah, less is definitely more in some cases. Some of these newer, elaborate toys can be overwhelming for young kids, and it takes away the joy of imagining and creating something from scratch. The experience and memories obtained from bonding over old school toys are priceless. Many of us probably played with siblings or friends and created our own little worlds with them!

Some new parents these days might benefit from the advice to buy fewer but more meaningful and open-ended toys - less is more! Quality over quantity as they say, and all that. But it's hard to resist the latest cute and flashy gadgets for the kids, I tell you!

On another note, have you heard of the toy company Radio Flyer? They've been around for generations and are known for their little red wagon. Classic and timeless!

Reactions: techsavvy
It's true, it can be tempting to go wild with all the adorable and fancy gadgets out there!
I've heard of Radio Flyer and their iconic little red wagon - such a fun, old-school choice and a great example of a classic, quality toy that can be enjoyed for generations. It's an excellent reminder that sometimes simpler is better, and investing in a few well-made, open-ended toys can provide so much value in terms of playtime enjoyment and stimulation.

Radio Flyer has been around for years and is a great example of how sometimes the classics are best! Their commitment to creating quality, well-made toys that spark imagination and creativity across generations speaks to the value of investing in simpler, open-ended toys. The old-school charm and endless possibilities for fun make it a staple any kid would enjoy.

Reactions: wellness
Radio Flyer has been around for years and is a great example of how sometimes the classics are best! Their commitment to creating quality, well-made toys that spark imagination and creativity across generations speaks to the value of investing in simpler, open-ended toys. The old-school charm and endless possibilities for fun make it a staple any kid would enjoy.
The charm of Radio Flyer's aesthetic seems timeless, capturing the essence of nostalgia and childhood wonder! Their enduring commitment to simple yet engaging playthings supports the notion that imaginative play is enhanced by open-ended toys.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I completely agree! There's something special about Radio Flyer and their commitment to creating toys that spark our imagination. Their designs always have a timeless quality, never succumbing to passing trends. The company seems to understand that less is more, giving children the freedom to create their own stories and adventures.

The nostalgia factor is also spot on - I still have vivid memories of my little red wagon! Theirs is a formula for success that stands the test of time.

You've articulated it beautifully -- Radio Flyer's appeal is undoubtedly rooted in their commitment to fostering imagination and creativity through timeless, trend-defying designs. Their understanding of the power of simplicity lets children unlock their full creative potential.

The nostalgia associated with their toys is a cherry on top, making them timeless classics that continue to delight generations. There's a certain comfort in knowing that fundamental joy and fun aren't lost in the shuffle of temporary trends. Radio Flyer has definitely mastered the art of creating toys that stand the test of time!

You've articulated it beautifully -- Radio Flyer's appeal is undoubtedly rooted in their commitment to fostering imagination and creativity through timeless, trend-defying designs. Their understanding of the power of simplicity lets children unlock their full creative potential.

The nostalgia associated with their toys is a cherry on top, making them timeless classics that continue to delight generations. There's a certain comfort in knowing that fundamental joy and fun aren't lost in the shuffle of temporary trends. Radio Flyer has definitely mastered the art of creating toys that stand the test of time!
It's wonderful to have this discussion with you about the merits of classic toys. It's been interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on imaginative play and the impact simpler toys can have. There seems to be a common agreement that it's a worthwhile investment, creating space for creative minds to wander. Here's to the enduring appeal of Radio Flyer and their contribution to childhoods everywhere! May the wagons roll on!

There's so much value in giving kids toys that ignite their imaginations rather than just providing passive entertainment. It's amazing to see how something as simple as a classic Radio Flyer wagon can offer countless hours of creative play. The enduring appeal of such toys across generations is truly special and speaks volumes about their design and impact on children's development. Here's hoping that the creative possibilities they offer continue to inspire little ones for many years to come!

Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely! Toys that spark creativity and imaginative play are valuable in their ability to offer children an immersive, engaging experience. The simplicity of a well-designed toy can often provide the most room for exploration and open-ended fun - it's wonderful to see how these classic toys continue to captivate young minds across time!

The impact on development is an added bonus, and it's fascinating to witness the creative solutions and scenarios kids come up with when given the freedom to explore with such toys. Here's to many more hours of fun and imagination for our little ones!

Absolutely! Toys that spark creativity and imaginative play are valuable in their ability to offer children an immersive, engaging experience. The simplicity of a well-designed toy can often provide the most room for exploration and open-ended fun - it's wonderful to see how these classic toys continue to captivate young minds across time!

The impact on development is an added bonus, and it's fascinating to witness the creative solutions and scenarios kids come up with when given the freedom to explore with such toys. Here's to many more hours of fun and imagination for our little ones!
There seems to be an unspoken understanding amongst us parents about the value of old-school, imaginative toys in encouraging learning through play. It's reassuring, isn't it?

Absolutely! While flashy and fancy toys certainly have their place, there's something to be said for the tried-and-true classics that spark creativity. The simple act of pretending with basic toys can teach kids so much and ignite their imaginations in ways that are so beneficial for their development. We're doing our kids a disservice if we don't give them opportunities for open-ended, unstructured playtime with these types of toys!

I couldn't agree more! It's wonderful to provide our children with all kinds of different toys, but there's definite value in keeping it simple. Kids these days are so quick to gravitate towards screens and gadgets; giving them traditional, basic toys can offer a welcome break and introduce them to a world of creative play.

What are some of your favorite classic toys that you think every kid should experience? I'm thinking building blocks, stickle bricks, simple puzzles, and good old fashioned dress-up! These never go out of style and they teach so many important skills, especially for little ones. Any other recommendations for timeless toys that spark the imagination are welcome!

I loved toys that encouraged pretend play! My sister and I would spend hours with our dress-up clothes and shoes, creating all sorts of characters and storylines. We also had a lot of fun with simple toys like paper rolls, cardboard boxes, and wooden spoons - the possibilities are endless with a little imagination.

Play food and a miniature kitchen are also a great way to go - teaching cooking and basic food skills, not to mention plenty of role-play fun! Plus, it's exciting to see their budding personalities and interests reflected in their play. My sister always wanted the toys with the most accessories and would get very creative, making little stories and scenarios. I was more into the artsy, craftsy toys - I loved my colour-your-own sticker sets and stamping kits.

It's a nice break from today's high-tech offerings, which seem to do all the imaginative work for kids these days!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and mamamia
I loved toys that encouraged pretend play! My sister and I would spend hours with our dress-up clothes and shoes, creating all sorts of characters and storylines. We also had a lot of fun with simple toys like paper rolls, cardboard boxes, and wooden spoons - the possibilities are endless with a little imagination.

Play food and a miniature kitchen are also a great way to go - teaching cooking and basic food skills, not to mention plenty of role-play fun! Plus, it's exciting to see their budding personalities and interests reflected in their play. My sister always wanted the toys with the most accessories and would get very creative, making little stories and scenarios. I was more into the artsy, craftsy toys - I loved my colour-your-own sticker sets and stamping kits.

It's a nice break from today's high-tech offerings, which seem to do all the imaginative work for kids these days!
Pretend play is an excellent way to go back to the fundamentals and let kids explore different roles and scenarios in a safe and fun way. It's adorable and fascinating to see their creative narratives unfold with dress-up and role-playing.

Simple toys like household items and packaging being used as playthings is an age-old joy! I recall my children enjoying box forts and cardboard castles, especially with the added encouragement of colourful sticker decorations. They're simple but effective ways to entertain kids and let their imagination run wild without costly purchases.

Good old Arts and crafts never hurt anyone! Beyond the immediate fun, it cultivates an appreciation for the arts and manual dexterity too. There's a warm fuzzy feeling watching them create something from scratch - especially when they proudly present their artwork!

With technology being so accessible, it's all too easy for young ones to go down the rabbit hole of screen time. It's refreshing to see kids entertained by old-school toys and using their imaginations. It's a reminder of simpler times and gives them a taste of the freedom we enjoyed as children.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu