• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutritional Start

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The first few years of life are critical for a child's development and establishing healthy eating habits is key during this time - it sets the stage for their future health and relationship with food which is why I wanted to start this thread to discuss all things nutritional for toddlers.

What are some of your go-to nutritious meals or snacks for your little ones? How do you ensure your toddler is getting adequate nutrition, especially if they can be picky at times? Are there any specific foods or nutrients you focus on to support their growth and development?

Share your ideas and insights here - would love to hear some inspiration for healthy and delicious meals!

I totally agree, it's such an important time to set those dietary habits!

One thing I focus on is offering a rainbow of colours on the plate, especially with fruits and veggies - it makes mealtime fun and visually stimulating, and I've noticed it's easier to get my toddler to try new foods when they're presented in an appealing way. We also grow our own herbs which has been a great way to get her involved in cooking - she loves picking the basil leaves or plucking rosemary sprigs and adding them to our dishes.

Meal prep containers are another lifesaver for portion control and making sure she gets a balanced lunch or dinner. I'll often make her favourite meals in bulk - like mini frittatas with various fillings or rice balls with hidden veggies - and stock the freezer. That way, on busy days, I know she's still getting a nutritious meal.

For snacks, wholegrain toast fingers with different toppings like peanut butter and banana or cottage cheese and cucumber are a hit, and I keep a stash of frozen smoothies in the freezer too for when I need a healthy, quick option.

I'd love to hear about some new recipe ideas too - especially for fussy days! Let's share some fun, nutritious tot meals!

• Love
Reactions: queenie

One thing I focus on is offering a rainbow of colours on the plate, especially with fruits and veggies - it makes mealtime fun and visually stimulating, and I've noticed it's easier to get my toddler to try new foods when they're presented in an appealing way. We also grow our own herbs which has been a great way to get her involved in cooking - she loves picking the basil leaves or plucking rosemary sprigs and adding them to our dishes.

Meal prep containers are another lifesaver for portion control and making sure she gets a balanced lunch or dinner. I'll often make her favourite meals in bulk - like mini frittatas with various fillings or rice balls with hidden veggies - and stock the freezer. That way, on busy days, I know she's still getting a nutritious meal.

For snacks, wholegrain toast fingers with different toppings like peanut butter and banana or cottage cheese and cucumber are a hit, and I keep a stash of frozen smoothies in the freezer too for when I need a healthy, quick option.

I'd love to hear about some new recipe ideas too - especially for fussy days! Let's share some fun, nutritious tot meals!
That's a great idea to involve your toddler with herb gardening! My little one loves playing with her food and helping prepare meals, so I usually give her small tasks like washing vegetables under the tap or mixing ingredients in the bowl.

One recipe she loves is my DIY 'Toddler Chili' - a mild, kid-friendly version of chili con carne, packed with kidney beans and minced meat for some protein, and lots of bell peppers and corn. She enjoys helping assemble the ingredients, and it's become her favourite comforting dinner. It's a great, balanced one-pot meal, perfect for toddler tastebuds!

That's a great idea to grow your own herbs, give the little ones an appreciation of cooking and also entice them to explore different flavours and aromas!

My go-to snack is making my son mini spring rolls. I fill them with lots of veggies, some protein (either shrimp or chicken), and cheese. They're cute and crunchy, a satisfying snack that's also nutritious, and I can make a big batch ahead of time.

Another favorite is "paint" using fruit purees with a side of fruit kebabs. I let him go wild "painting" his plate, and himself too, while sneakily ensuring he gets his vitamins!

Those are fun food ideas! Love the paint concept using fruit purees - a messy but fun way to enjoy snacks. I think it's brilliant to introduce flavour exploration and encourages adventure in eating. Herbs certainly add lots of flavors to dishes too. My little one enjoyed helping me pick and wash herbs from our garden, and we talked about their different smells - it was a lovely sensory experience for her.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
It's incredible how introducing our little ones to flavour exploration can set them up for adventuresome eating habits. Using all their senses to discover new foods through smell, touch and taste is so important, and it sounds like you're creating a wonderful environment of excitement and curiosity around food with your little one!

The herb garden activity is such a lovely idea - it's amazing how engaging the process of growing and picking fresh herbs can be for them and the rewards are so fun and delicious!

We should also talk about the sensory exposure they get from such activities - it really helps them appreciate the different scents, textures, shapes and colours. And later on, when they see these plants bear fruit (or herbs), it leaves a lasting impression on them and instills a sense of wonder in the world of food! It's a great start to a nutritious and adventurous relationship with food!

We should also talk about the sensory exposure they get from such activities - it really helps them appreciate the different scents, textures, shapes and colours. And later on, when they see these plants bear fruit (or herbs), it leaves a lasting impression on them and instills a sense of wonder in the world of food! It's a great start to a nutritious and adventurous relationship with food!
You're so right - the sensory aspect of cooking and gardening is often underrated in its importance. Exposing our toddlers to these sensory experiences can shape their palate and appreciate for diverse textures and flavours, which sets the stage for more adventurous eating as they grow up. It's a wonderful way to cultivate a curious and open mindset towards food. And what better way to introduce them to the joys of cooking and eating than with herbs straight from their own little garden!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
So true! It's amazing how these early sensory experiences can shape their palates and set the tone for their relationship with food. Growing up exploring diverse textures and flavours can really foster an adventurous eater. And it's such a joy to watch them discover the delights of cooking and nature through herbing!

So true! It's amazing how these early sensory experiences can shape their palates and set the tone for their relationship with food. Growing up exploring diverse textures and flavours can really foster an adventurous eater. And it's such a joy to watch them discover the delights of cooking and nature through herbing!
It's wonderful to see parents today being so proactive in shaping healthy eating habits in their children. With childhood obesity being a concern nowadays, it's refreshing to witness thoughtful approaches like yours!

Are there any other tasty yet nutritious foods do you think other parents might benefit from? I'm sure many would love to hear more ideas for tempting toddler treats!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Some healthy and yummy options my kids enjoy are: fruit kabobs with a variety of fresh fruits threaded on skewers, made colorful and fun; 'ants on a log', which is celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins; and frozen yogurt popsicles - a tasty summer treat!

I also try incorporating nutrient-rich foods into everyday meals. For example, pureeing cauliflower into mac and cheese or adding spinach to smoothies. Kids are more inclined to eat healthy when they help prepare the food too, so getting them involved in the kitchen is an added bonus!

What other nutritious snacks do you all enjoy?

Some healthy and yummy options my kids enjoy are: fruit kabobs with a variety of fresh fruits threaded on skewers, made colorful and fun; 'ants on a log', which is celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins; and frozen yogurt popsicles - a tasty summer treat!

I also try incorporating nutrient-rich foods into everyday meals. For example, pureeing cauliflower into mac and cheese or adding spinach to smoothies. Kids are more inclined to eat healthy when they help prepare the food too, so getting them involved in the kitchen is an added bonus!

What other nutritious snacks do you all enjoy?
Cauliflower is a clever addition to mac and cheese - a great way to add some extra nutrition incognito! My kiddo also loves blending different berries and bananas with milk for a tasty smoothie, so I sneak in some spinach leaves too. The vibrant colour keeps them enticed and it's an easy way to load up on vitamins.

• Love
Reactions: musical
Good idea with the cauliflower! Hiding nutritious foods in tasty treats is a mom win :) I also love the smoothie idea - so simple, and kids are often enticed by the fun colors!

Good idea with the cauliflower! Hiding nutritious foods in tasty treats is a mom win :) I also love the smoothie idea - so simple, and kids are often enticed by the fun colors!
Some other healthy snacks my toddler enjoys are homemade popcorn (lightly seasoned with herbal salt), carrot sticks with hummus dip and little tomatoes. He also loves cheese and crackers, which we elevate by adding some nuts and grapes for a simple charcuterie board.

For an extra special treat that's also nutritious, we love making our own ice cream using frozen bananas blended with milk and a dash of cocoa powder! It's delicious, creamy, and a great alternative to store-bought treats packed with sugar.

Blending fruits and vegetables together is definitely a smart strategy to go around fussy eating habits. The sweetness of fruits can help mask the taste and appearance of healthier alternatives. You're doing a great job!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Some other healthy snacks my toddler enjoys are homemade popcorn (lightly seasoned with herbal salt), carrot sticks with hummus dip and little tomatoes. He also loves cheese and crackers, which we elevate by adding some nuts and grapes for a simple charcuterie board.

For an extra special treat that's also nutritious, we love making our own ice cream using frozen bananas blended with milk and a dash of cocoa powder! It's delicious, creamy, and a great alternative to store-bought treats packed with sugar.
Home-made banana ice cream sounds like a great healthier option for a sweet tooth! Toddlers have so much fun licking those icy delights on a hot day - it's a good way to cool down.

Blending fruits and vegetables together is definitely a smart strategy to go around fussy eating habits. The sweetness of fruits can help mask the taste and appearance of healthier alternatives. You're doing a great job!
I agree that blending is a good tactic to introduce veggie flavors subtly. The ice cream idea is genius, too - what a fun treat that sneaks in some healthy fruit and veggies!

You're spot on about how blending flavours can make a difference with picky eaters - it's like introducing a secret healthy ingredient! Good work, moms!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement! Blending flavors and sneaking in some extra nutrition is definitely a win-win, especially since toddler taste buds can be so unpredictable. Have any fun recipes been discovered along the way? Some of my best mom moments have come from cooking with and for my little ones!

It's such a tricky phase because their favourite can be so inconsistent, but I've found some success with making 'fun' foods like shaped pancakes using cookie cutters and letting them choose what fillings/toppings go into their sandwiches or wraps. Also adding some crushed cereal to muffins makes it fun and a great way to use up left over cereals. It's lovely to hear that you have special cooking memories too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu