• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some parents face challenges in getting their toddlers to consume nutritious foods due to fussiness or picky eating habits. However, many mums have found creative ways to sneak healthy ingredients into delicious and appealing snacks for their little ones. Here are some fun and tasty ideas shared by the mamas:

1. Smoothies: A delightful way to combine various fruits and even vegetables to create a nutritious drink that toddlers will love due to its vibrant colors and sweet taste. You can experiment with different ingredients, adding secret healthy elements like spinach or avocado for an extra kick.

2. Fancy fruit presentations: Presenting fruits in fun and attractive ways can make snacking a visual delight for toddlers. Try making fruit skewers or using cookie cutters to create shaped treats, which encourages interaction and makes healthy eating seem like a fun activity.

3. Savory muffins: These portable baked goods are a great way to sneak in mashed veggies and other nutritious ingredients. You can even add cheese and herbs for extra flavor. Savory muffins provide a tasty and convenient snack option for toddlers on the go.

4. Homemade frozen pops: Prepare your own healthy frozen popsicles using fresh fruits and vegetables. These colorful treats are perfect for cooling down hungry toddlers during hot afternoons and can be made with various pureed ingredients, allowing for lots of creativity.

5. Veggie omelets: Toddlers will love the cheesy goodness of omelets with hidden vegetable purées cooked inside. This is an excellent way to get some extra nutrients into their diets unknowingly.

6. Ready-to-eat fruits and veggies: Keep pre-cut fruits and vegetables in your fridge for a quick, nutritious snack that's easy for toddlers to eat. Choices like baby carrots or celery sticks with peanut butter are convenient and mess-free options for hungry munchkins.

7. Fun toast fingers: Make fun shapes using cookie cutters and spread them with nutritious toppings like peanut butter, mashed avocado, or even cheese. Adding a few chocolate chips can make these snacks extra tempting!

8. Steam-cooked fish fillets: Cooking tender and juicy fish this way retains its flavors and provides a good source of protein and omega-3s. Steaming is a healthy and straightforward preparation method that doesn't require additional oils or sauces.

9. Homemade fruit pouches: Make your own healthy fruit purees and freeze them in special containers to create convenient on-the-go snacks. You can even add hidden vegetables for an extra nutritious boost.

10. Creative Kabobs: Get your little ones involved in the kitchen by letting them thread fruits or vegetables onto skewers for some tasty kabobs. This activity engages and entertains kids while encouraging them to eat healthily.

These ideas are great ways to introduce a variety of flavors, textures, and nutrients into your toddler's diet. Remember that preparation and creativity are key when trying to feed picky eaters, and making mealtime fun can go a long way!

Getting nutritious foods into tiny tots can sometimes be tricky - what are some of your go-to healthy snacks and meals that your little ones love?

Some ideas to get us started:

- Veggie Packed Omelets: Finely chop up some of their favorite veggies and load it up with cheese.
- Fruit Kabobs: Thread fresh fruits onto a skewer for a fun, colorful snack they can eat on the go.
- Energy Balls: These bite sized snacks are a great way to disguise healthy ingredients like oats, nuts, peanut butter and dried fruit all rolled into one tasty treat!

What other nutritious treats does your toddler tantalize over?

Reactions: queenie
My kiddo loves his fruits so I usually just chop up some melon or berries and present them in a fancy way - makes him feel like he's getting a special treat! Also a big fan of homemade banana ice cream - just freeze some bananas, blend them up and voila! Healthy dessert ready in minutes.

The little one also goes crazy for mini muffs, especially the savory kind. I'll add some mashed veggies into the batter and top with some cheese and herbs for some extra nutrition. They're soft and easy to eat too so great for their tiny teethers.

Reactions: chickadee
Sometimes getting them to eat healthy can be tricky But we've got some clever ways to keep those tiny tummies full and happy.

One of our faves are those fruit kabobs - a real visual treat and so easy to eat too! Can load them up with all sorts of fresh produce. Also, those energy balls are a great idea for snacking on the go, and the kids seem to love them - a good way to get some nutrients in without them knowing haha!

Another simple one is just mixing nuts, seeds and dried fruit together. Or how about smooth peanut butter and banana sandwiches, yum! And who can say no to yogurt with all those good bacteria? We like to add some granola and fresh berries too for a tasty crunch.

Gotta keep those little ones nourished and energy-packed so they can continue their adventures!

Sometimes getting them to eat healthy can be tricky But we've got some clever ways to keep those tiny tummies full and happy.

One of our faves are those fruit kabobs - a real visual treat and so easy to eat too! Can load them up with all sorts of fresh produce. Also, those energy balls are a great idea for snacking on the go, and the kids seem to love them - a good way to get some nutrients in without them knowing haha!

Another simple one is just mixing nuts, seeds and dried fruit together. Or how about smooth peanut butter and banana sandwiches, yum! And who can say no to yogurt with all those good bacteria? We like to add some granola and fresh berries too for a tasty crunch.

Gotta keep those little ones nourished and energy-packed so they can continue their adventures!
I've seen some mums give home-made baked pumpkin or sweet potato chips a go - those orange veggies are actually pretty sweet and yummy when cooked right! Also a healthy swap from the usual greasy chips. And easy to nibble on for the little ones too.

My toddler also goes crazy over some good ol' hummus with carrot sticks or pretzels. Can't go wrong with that creamy goodness, packed with healthy fats and protein!

Ahhh... the ever-challenging task of feeding tiny tykes! Sometimes it's like trying to sneak veggies into a tiger's cage!

One thing that works is loading up on the sweet stuff without the sugar rush. I blend fruits, yoghurt and spinach together - the colour wins half the battle and the sweetness from the fruits make it a win!

Another go-to is the good old tortilla wrap, cut into fun shapes like stars or animals. You can slip in some veggies like grated carrots or even add some lean meat for some extra protein power.

Also, those tiny toddler hands love to grab and go, so anything finger food works a charm - think mini cucumber slices, carrot sticks, even broccoli tree trunks! And of course, a good dip never fails - hummus is a great healthy option!

My kiddo loves the good ol' peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Also packs a lot of nutrients is the hummus wrap - a healthy swipe of hummus, some grated carrots and cucumber, and maybe even some spinach leaves, rolled up together.

I usually let her help me prepare these snacks or meals. She's more likely to eat something if she had a hand in making it!

Reactions: chickadee
My kiddo loves the good ol' peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Also packs a lot of nutrients is the hummus wrap - a healthy swipe of hummus, some grated carrots and cucumber, and maybe even some spinach leaves, rolled up together.

I usually let her help me prepare these snacks or meals. She's more likely to eat something if she had a hand in making it!
Yum! Those hummus wraps are a great idea and super customizable too!

My little one loves it when I make fruit smoothies - just freeze some bananas and blend them up with some milk and the seasonal fruits that we have around. A sneaky way to get some calcium into the diet too if you use dairy milk. And of course, the bright colours are always a win with the little ones!

Also second the helping-in-prep idea! Giving them some ownership really gets them excited about eating their creation. They're cute little sous chefs!

Oh ya, the fruit kabobs a great idea! Something which I do is hide some veggies in my kid's juice. Can't really taste them when blended well and gives an added nutritional punch. My tot also loves dipping things - like carrot sticks or crackers into hummus or tzatziki. Also those baby carrots - they're sweet and convenient for snacking, no prep needed!

Yum! Those hummus wraps are a great idea and super customizable too!

My little one loves it when I make fruit smoothies - just freeze some bananas and blend them up with some milk and the seasonal fruits that we have around. A sneaky way to get some calcium into the diet too if you use dairy milk. And of course, the bright colours are always a win with the little ones!

Also second the helping-in-prep idea! Giving them some ownership really gets them excited about eating their creation. They're cute little sous chefs!
That's a smart way to make mealtime exciting by getting them involved in preparing their food! Fruit smoothies are a fun and colorful way to get all the nutrients from fruits, and it's a good opportunity to let your little one experiment with different ingredients and flavors.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's a smart way to make mealtime exciting by getting them involved in preparing their food! Fruit smoothies are a fun and colorful way to get all the nutrients from fruits, and it's a good opportunity to let your little one experiment with different ingredients and flavors.
My kids love smoothing too! They're like rainbows in a cup, so fun!

I sometimes add some sneakily chopped up vegetables like spinach or carrots into the smoothies too, just to add some extra nutrients without them knowing hehe ;) And I love how it encourages them to try new fruits - we found out that my son loves pineapples and mangoes this way!

Reactions: stargazer
My kids love smoothing too! They're like rainbows in a cup, so fun!

I sometimes add some sneakily chopped up vegetables like spinach or carrots into the smoothies too, just to add some extra nutrients without them knowing hehe ;) And I love how it encourages them to try new fruits - we found out that my son loves pineapples and mangoes this way!
Oh yeah? That's a great idea to expose them to different produce and get them to unknowingly consume veggies! Spinach is a genius addition because it's mild and sweet enough to disguise in fruity flavors. Kids are so fascinated by the vibrant green color too! I wonder if adding avocado would work too, for some extra healthy fats and creaminess.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Ah, getting the little ones to eat healthy can be a challenge! But we've got some sneaky ways to keep their tummies full and happy without them even realising it.

One of our faves are smoothie bags! We prep these in advance by freezing a mix of sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries and other fruits into portions, ready to be blended whenever needed. Quick, tasty and so easy to customize according to what's in season or what the lil ones fancy that day - just add some milk, yoghurt or juice and blend away!

Another win is homemade mini pizza! Using a small tortilla wrap as the base, load it up with some tomato puree, their choice of veggies and mozarella cheese. Kids love the fun of picking their own toppings and watching it cook in the oven, turning into a crispy, cheesy delight!

What other sneaky ways do you guys have to get those healthy vibes into your little ones?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and lioness
The little ones also enjoy the occasional yoghurt with a variety of fresh fruits chopped up and mixed in - it's kind of a make-your-own-yoghurt-frosty- treat thing, which they love to prepare themselves and gives them some autonomy over their snack choices too!

Ahhh... yes

My kiddo loves it when I pack some chicken nuggets in the lunchbox, and I mean the homemade kind - breaded, baked, and served with a side of sweet potato fries. It's a fun and tasty way to get some protein and vitamins into the lil' one.

Another hit are these little fishies that come in tiny, cute, ready-to-eat packs. They're healthy, crispy, and high in omega 3s - a great alternative to the usual crunchy snacks!

Also, a simple smoothie can be a great way to load up some nutrients without the fuss. I'll blend some frozen fruits with yogurt and a splash of milk, and pour it into fun, reusable straw cups for an on-the-go treat!

Omelet got potential! Can add in some ham or bacon bits too if they're fussy about veggies. But I usually keep a stock of cut up fruits in the fridge - easy to grab and hand to cranky kids. Also, those tiny squeeze packs of apple sauce are handy and mess free. Don't forget the good old finger foods like cheese cubes and grapes !

Omelet got potential! Can add in some ham or bacon bits too if they're fussy about veggies. But I usually keep a stock of cut up fruits in the fridge - easy to grab and hand to cranky kids. Also, those tiny squeeze packs of apple sauce are handy and mess free. Don't forget the good old finger foods like cheese cubes and grapes !
Ooh yeah, the make-your-own yogurt is a great idea! Can also add in some crushed nuts and granola for extra crunch and a bigger nutritional punch.

My little one also likes it when I serve up frozen grapes sometimes as a little icy treat, or cut up cucumber and carrots into cute shapes - like stars or animals. Something about the shapes makes eating them more fun!

Ooh yeah, the make-your-own yogurt is a great idea! Can also add in some crushed nuts and granola for extra crunch and a bigger nutritional punch.

My little one also likes it when I serve up frozen grapes sometimes as a little icy treat, or cut up cucumber and carrots into cute shapes - like stars or animals. Something about the shapes makes eating them more fun!
Yeah, some variety keeps things interesting ! My son also enjoys those frozen fruit popsicles - pure fruit, but feels like an ice cream treat ! I'm wary of sugar rush though, so I watch how many he has ;p

Yeah, some variety keeps things interesting ! My son also enjoys those frozen fruit popsicles - pure fruit, but feels like an ice cream treat ! I'm wary of sugar rush though, so I watch how many he has ;p
Mmmm yes, frozen fruit popscicles are a great healthy alternative to ice cream! A little bird told me that blending the fruit with some yogurt and then freezing it gives a smoother, creamier result. You can also try adding some coconut milk for an extra tropical twist!

Some mums I know also do smoothies - throw in some spinach or other leafy greens to dial up the nutritional value without affecting the taste too much. The colorful veggies also make it fun and the kids don't suspect a thing haha!

Yup, avocado definitely gives that extra oomph to the smoothie's creaminess and healthy fats! I find that the possibilities are endless - you can even sneak in some chia seeds or flaxseeds for an extra nutritional punch without compromising taste.

Getting them involved in the kitchen is a brilliant way to spark their interest and curiosity in food. It definitely makes eating more fun when they've had a say in preparing the meal. The satisfaction of enjoying something they've helped create is something else! And I totally agree - the humongous variety of fruits and veggies we can incorporate into their diets is a great way to get them familiar with diverse flavors and textures.

The humble PB&J sandwich never fails, but the addition of spinach or avocado gives it a nice kick!

Veggie omlette? That's a clever way to get some extra nutrients into the little ones! Sometimes I also sneak in some fruit bits into the juice - adds a nice subtle sweetness, and you're right, it's a great way to get them to unknowingly consume more veggies!

My kiddo also loves those ready-to-eat baby carrots - they're so convenient, and you're right about them having that natural sweetness too! Great to have such healthy options for snacking without any prep work needed.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu