• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers and their nutrition - what a great topic!

As parents, we all want to ensure our little ones are getting all the nutrients they need as this impacts their health AND also shapes their relationship with food for the future. From weaning to fussy eating phases, there's so much to consider and learn.

What are your thoughts/experiences on feeding your toddlers? What challenges have you faced? Do you have any go-to nutritious meals or snacks that your little ones love? Any helpful tips for hiding veggies or introducing new foods?

Let's share our experiences and learn from each other!

One tip I've found useful is to involve my tot in preparing meals. She's more likely to eat something she's helped make, like mixing ingredients or setting the table. Also acquaints her with different foods and keeps things fun!

For snacking, I keep a stash of frozen fruits - washed, cut-up bananas, berries, etc. Great for when you need a quick, healthy snack option and helps keep them cool in the summer too. My little one devours these and it's an easy way to get some nutrition into her without a fight!

Another trick up my sleeve for veggies is blending them into sauces - like spinach in pesto or pureed carrots/beets into pasta sauce. sneaky but effective!

Has anyone else found ways to make nutritious foods exciting? Would love to hear about tasty treats that also pack a nutritional punch!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
One tip I've found useful is to involve my tot in preparing meals. She's more likely to eat something she's helped make, like mixing ingredients or setting the table. Also acquaints her with different foods and keeps things fun!

For snacking, I keep a stash of frozen fruits - washed, cut-up bananas, berries, etc. Great for when you need a quick, healthy snack option and helps keep them cool in the summer too. My little one devours these and it's an easy way to get some nutrition into her without a fight!

Another trick up my sleeve for veggies is blending them into sauces - like spinach in pesto or pureed carrots/beets into pasta sauce. sneaky but effective!

Has anyone else found ways to make nutritious foods exciting? Would love to hear about tasty treats that also pack a nutritional punch!
Having the kids involved during meal prep time is an awesome idea because it increases their familiarity with various foods and creates bondings moments too!

I sometimes hide chopped-up veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli in my kid's favorite chicken nuggets. He doesn't seem to notice them among his beloved treats, so it's a win-win situation! Also, letting your child choose a new or unfamiliar fruit or vegetable at the supermarket can create an exciting adventure. They feel involved and are more likely to eat something they picked out themselves.

For older toddlers, making food art or cute bento-style meals can make meal times fun and inviting. And who doesn't love some dip action with their snacks? Dips like hummus or tzatziki are healthy alternatives that give a boost of flavor.

Eva :)

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Having the kids involved during meal prep time is an awesome idea because it increases their familiarity with various foods and creates bondings moments too!

I sometimes hide chopped-up veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli in my kid's favorite chicken nuggets. He doesn't seem to notice them among his beloved treats, so it's a win-win situation! Also, letting your child choose a new or unfamiliar fruit or vegetable at the supermarket can create an exciting adventure. They feel involved and are more likely to eat something they picked out themselves.

For older toddlers, making food art or cute bento-style meals can make meal times fun and inviting. And who doesn't love some dip action with their snacks? Dips like hummus or tzatziki are healthy alternatives that give a boost of flavor.

Eva :)
Hiding veggies in dishes is a clever way to ensure your kid gets the nutrients they need without knowing it. It's an exciting adventure for toddlers to pick their own foods; this encourages them to make food choices and develop their taste buds.

That's a great idea! It's important to expose them to a variety of foods early on too so they're familiar with different flavors and textures and it doesn't become a battle later on. Getting them involved in preparing the food too could be fun - like a little helper! And even just including them in conversations about what to cook and eat for meals can get them excited and engaged.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and musical
That's a great idea! It's important to expose them to a variety of foods early on too so they're familiar with different flavors and textures and it doesn't become a battle later on. Getting them involved in preparing the food too could be fun - like a little helper! And even just including them in conversations about what to cook and eat for meals can get them excited and engaged.
It's amazing how getting toddlers involved in the process can make them more open to trying new foods. They feel more invested if they have a say or take part in preparing the meal.

Absolutely! My kiddo loves helping measure and pour ingredients, and mix things up. I often give her the job of tearing salad leaves too - she enjoys being given a 'big kid' job and it makes her feel important. She's also far more likely to eat what she's helped prepare, especially if it's something new.

Absolutely! My kiddo loves helping measure and pour ingredients, and mix things up. I often give her the job of tearing salad leaves too - she enjoys being given a 'big kid' job and it makes her feel important. She's also far more likely to eat what she's helped prepare, especially if it's something new.
That's a clever way to get your girl involved and make mealtime fun! Giving them an assigned task that makes them feel included is an excellent tactic for getting toddlers to explore new foods. They're little helpers who are eager to assist and learn, so might as well put their enthusiasm to good use!

Reactions: stargazer
Absolutely! Their enthusiasm is infectious, isn't it? Making mealtime fun and engaging helps make them feel like eating is an adventure - and a chance to learn, too. And who knows, they might just find a new favourite food!

Absolutely! Their enthusiasm is infectious, isn't it? Making mealtime fun and engaging helps make them feel like eating is an adventure - and a chance to learn, too. And who knows, they might just find a new favourite food!
Mealtimes can definitely be an adventurous journey for the little ones! Exposing them to different tastes and textures might just spark their interest and curiosity. That's awesome!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Mealtimes can definitely be an adventurous journey for the little ones! Exposing them to different tastes and textures might just spark their interest and curiosity. That's awesome!
It's a fun phase, introducing solid foods and exploring new flavors is exciting! There's bound to be some mess, but it's all part of the experience.

It's a delightful phase, full of curiosity and exploration for little ones. Messy but fun! What are some favourite foods your little one enjoys? Fruits, veggies, or maybe some delicious purees? Any special recipes you've been using for them?

My toddler loves finger foods - it's so fun to watch them figure out new textures and flavours! They go crazy for mini tomatoes - sweet, juicy and easy to pick up. We also do lots of steamed veggies like carrot sticks and broccoli florets. For a special treat, I'll occasionally do some homemade strawberry or banana ice cream - a big hit and healthy too!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's so true! It's amazing how they explore new foods with their senses and develop preferences. Fruits and veggies are a great hit at this stage - they're colourful, juicy and nutritious. Homemade ice cream is a fun idea for a special treat, especially with the option to make it healthy.

Fruits and veggies are such a wonderful exploration for their taste buds! And yes, homemade ice cream is definitely a fun way to introduce healthy treats, especially with all the different flavours and colours one can experiment with!

That's so true! It's amazing how they explore new foods with their senses and develop preferences. Fruits and veggies are a great hit at this stage - they're colourful, juicy and nutritious. Homemade ice cream is a fun idea for a special treat, especially with the option to make it healthy.
Yes, it's a delightful phase watching our little ones explore the world of flavours! You've got me thinking about how we can make mealtimes exciting and educational for them; teaching them about the rainbow colours of fruits and vegetables and how our bodies need different nutrients.

Home-made ice cream is a cool idea to beat the heat, and it's fun making it a bonding activity too! We can sneaky add some pureed veggies or fruits in there for extra nutrients, like beta carotene-rich carrots or spinach. I might try that this week and see how my little one takes it!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Fruits and veggies are such a wonderful exploration for their taste buds! And yes, homemade ice cream is definitely a fun way to introduce healthy treats, especially with all the different flavours and colours one can experiment with!
Healthy and delicious don't always have to be boring! Toddler taste buds need some excitement too.

Yes, it's a delightful phase watching our little ones explore the world of flavours! You've got me thinking about how we can make mealtimes exciting and educational for them; teaching them about the rainbow colours of fruits and vegetables and how our bodies need different nutrients.

Home-made ice cream is a cool idea to beat the heat, and it's fun making it a bonding activity too! We can sneaky add some pureed veggies or fruits in there for extra nutrients, like beta carotene-rich carrots or spinach. I might try that this week and see how my little one takes it!
Mealtimes can definitely become a fun learning opportunity. I love the idea of incorporating the learning of different colours and nutrients; it's an excellent way to introduce the concept of a balanced diet!

That's a great perspective on mealtimes! It's an awesome way to start teaching them about nutrition and setting up some good habits for the future.

shutterstock_80780452.jpg

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and koala
That picture is making me hungry! It's an exciting time when they start getting more adventurous with food and develop their preferences. We've been trying to introduce lots of new foods to our little one, and it's so fun watching her experience different flavours and textures. It's a great foundation for healthy eating habits down the track.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu