• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to create a space where we could discuss all things toddler nutrition! This stage can be so tricky - they're opinionated, growth slow down and their tiny tummies have such specific needs.

My almost-toddler has never been a great eater, which makes me extra nervous about nutrient intake. I find myself constantly worrying if she's getting enough healthy fats, protein and iron. She's also incredibly picky, so mealtimes have become battlegrounds. Any tips on getting creative with meals or snacks would be amazing!

What are some of your go-to nutritious foods for this stage? Do you have any strategies for making mealtime battles a thing of the past? Let's share our knowledge and help each other out!

I feel you on the worry front -- it's such a delicate stage where their bodies are growing and developing so much that us parents want to make sure they're getting all the right nutrients.

My tot is also super fussy, and what has worked for us is making food fun -- this often means cutting things into different shapes using cookie cutters or presenting meals as a "snack plate" with loads of little finger foods like crackers, cheese, cut up veggies and fruits, cold meats, etc. It's less stressful than expected because she grazes on these plates and eats quite a variety of foods. If it's a meal she doesn't have to sit in her high chair for long periods - which is a huge win!

I also started adding a hidden veggie puree to meals. I'll blend up some cooked carrots, sweet potatoes or pumpkin and stir it into sauces, soups, or even scramble it into eggs. She doesn't seem to notice the difference, but it gives me peace of mind she's getting some extra nutrients.

Another thing that has worked is involving my tot in preparing food. She loves helping me measure ingredients and mix things -- it makes her much more likely to eat what we've cooked together.

I'd love to hear if anyone has other sneaky ways of adding nutritious foods because, like you said, their tiny tummies have such specific needs! It's a constant challenge!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Those are some great ideas!

I also find making food fun increases my toddler's appetite too - their curiosity tends to kick in when meals are presented in a fun way. I like the veggie puree idea, I'll have to give that a go as my little one can be suspicious of lumps and bumps in her food!

In terms of adding sneaky nutrition, I sometimes sneak pureed or mashed bananas into baking - it makes cakes and muffins nice and moist, plus gives them some fruit without them knowing. I've also started adding wheat germ to boost the fibre and protein content of baked goods - it's pretty tasteless so a good way of adding some extra goodness!

I've found that giving my toddler small amounts of spices in cooking or even sprinkled over food has helped introduce some heat and flavour. Cinnamon, paprika and turmeric are favourites at the moment - gives the food some kick without being too spicy for their sensitive palates. They seem to enjoy the novelty of tasting something new and it's nice to see them exploring different flavours, especially when eating out or at other people's houses.

What other fun recipes and sneaky tricks have you found work a treat?

Those are some great ideas!

I also find making food fun increases my toddler's appetite too - their curiosity tends to kick in when meals are presented in a fun way. I like the veggie puree idea, I'll have to give that a go as my little one can be suspicious of lumps and bumps in her food!

In terms of adding sneaky nutrition, I sometimes sneak pureed or mashed bananas into baking - it makes cakes and muffins nice and moist, plus gives them some fruit without them knowing. I've also started adding wheat germ to boost the fibre and protein content of baked goods - it's pretty tasteless so a good way of adding some extra goodness!

I've found that giving my toddler small amounts of spices in cooking or even sprinkled over food has helped introduce some heat and flavour. Cinnamon, paprika and turmeric are favourites at the moment - gives the food some kick without being too spicy for their sensitive palates. They seem to enjoy the novelty of tasting something new and it's nice to see them exploring different flavours, especially when eating out or at other people's houses.

What other fun recipes and sneaky tricks have you found work a treat?
That's a clever idea to use banana puree in baking! Toddlers and spice certainly is an adventure - their reactions can be quite unpredictable!

I find that freezing or chilling foods can make them more exciting too. Frozen bananas or frozen yogurt pops are a hit with my tot, and it's a nice healthy snack, especially during the hot weather. Chilling grapes in the fridge is also a fun, refreshing treat, like having little bursts of cooled sweetness.

I've also been playing around with making homemade fruit rolls ups using pureed fruit. They're so compact and easy for little hands to hold and squish up, plus I can sneaky some extra nutrition in by using say, spinach puree or wheatgrass juice. Not too much though - don't want to change the taste too much! They're a nice portable snack option too, perfect for when we're out and about.

Also, on the topic of grains, I've been introducing quinoa quite a bit recently. It's a nice alternative to rice and pasta and packs a good protein punch. I usually serve it with some steamed veggies and a bit of grated cheese - a tasty, nutty addition that feels like a treat.

What other nutritious foods do you guys serve your little ones?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and wellness
That's a clever idea to use banana puree in baking! Toddlers and spice certainly is an adventure - their reactions can be quite unpredictable!

I find that freezing or chilling foods can make them more exciting too. Frozen bananas or frozen yogurt pops are a hit with my tot, and it's a nice healthy snack, especially during the hot weather. Chilling grapes in the fridge is also a fun, refreshing treat, like having little bursts of cooled sweetness.

I've also been playing around with making homemade fruit rolls ups using pureed fruit. They're so compact and easy for little hands to hold and squish up, plus I can sneaky some extra nutrition in by using say, spinach puree or wheatgrass juice. Not too much though - don't want to change the taste too much! They're a nice portable snack option too, perfect for when we're out and about.

Also, on the topic of grains, I've been introducing quinoa quite a bit recently. It's a nice alternative to rice and pasta and packs a good protein punch. I usually serve it with some steamed veggies and a bit of grated cheese - a tasty, nutty addition that feels like a treat.

What other nutritious foods do you guys serve your little ones?
Quinoa is a great alternative grain and a fantastic source of plant-based protein!

My toddler loves anything wrapped or rolled so sushi is a huge hit - I'll often use wholemeal wraps, rice paper rolls, or even nori sheets with cooked veggies and a dab of hummus. I also sneak in some omega-3 rich foods like chia seeds, which I'll sprinkle over the sushi rice once it's cooked.

I've noticed my toddler enjoys eating with his hands, so I often serve meals "cobb salad" style - essentially a big old mess of finger foods all chopped up and mixed together. A bit of grilled chicken, some chopped veggies like cucumber, capsicum, grated carrot, a sprinkle of nuts or seeds, maybe some dried fruit, and a nice dressing like a creamy ranch. It's a great way to clear out the fridge and pack in a lot of nutrients.

Also, not sure if your toddler is into dips, but mine loves them! Hummus, tzatziki, salsa - they're a great way to encourage more vegetable intake, and I often serve them with some pita chips or crudites.

It's encouraging to see other parents' strategies too!

Some great ideas here! Love the idea of a cobb salad, might have to borrow that one. My little one also loves dips - a life saver when trying to get veggies into her. She also really likes soupy meals so I often do a big batch of minestrone or a simple chicken and veg soup and keep it in the fridge for easy meals. Also a win for getting lots of nutrients in one meal!

Borrow away - the cobb salad is a great one as you can often tailor it to your toddlers favourites and it looks fun too which is half the battle! Soups are an excellent idea for keeping nutrients locked in and a good way to use up leftover veg too.

Tailoring the meal to the toddler's favourites is such an important tip - it can make the difference between a successful meal and a rejected one! And I love the idea of making a fun and colourful salad. Using up leftovers is always a win too, thanks for the suggestion!

Glad to hear you found some useful tips! Making meals appealing can be such an effective strategy, especially when catering to fussy eaters. Using up leftovers is a great way to ensure nothing goes to waste and also saves prep time too. Happy cooking!

Leftovers are a life saver and a great way of ensuring nothing goes to waste - especially when the kids enjoy them! Happy cooking it's one of my favourite parts of the day! 😋🍽️
Mealtime can be a difficult battle, and it's encouraging to find other parents who go through the same situations. Here's to more enjoyable mealtimes and less food wastage! Cheers! 🥂

Time flies so fast you blink and they're grown! Cherish every messy bite and every tasty new adventure!

It's such a fun stage isn't it?! It's so rewarding to see their personalities come out through their food preferences - even if some of those preferences are for the strangest combinations! Haha! I agree, the mess just has to be tolerated and enjoyed!

It's fascinating how they develop certain tastes and decide what they like and dislike. Messy as it gets, it's heartwarming to see their enthusiasm for food and exploration. The fun combinations are a joy to behold - like discovering little culinary artists!

It's incredible how their personalities shine through their food preferences, especially when they assertively declare what they do and don't eat! It's like a little window into their developing personalities. It's a fun stage, watching them explore textures and flavours and experiment with their tiny taste palettes.

It's incredible how their personalities shine through their food preferences, especially when they assertively declare what they do and don't eat! It's like a little window into their developing personalities. It's a fun stage, watching them explore textures and flavours and experiment with their tiny taste palettes.
Sure is fascinating to witness the development of their personality and independence through their food choices, even though it can be tricky at times! Their experimentation with different tastes and textures sure keeps me on my toes!

Sure is fascinating to witness the development of their personality and independence through their food choices, even though it can be tricky at times! Their experimentation with different tastes and textures sure keeps me on my toes!
It's a challenging yet entertaining phase, keeping up with their constant curiosities and little experiments. Their fearless combinations definitely keep us on our toes, that's for sure! We just have to be mindful not to impose our own biases on them.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and lioness
You're spot on about how it broadens our perspective too as we learn to adapt our cooking and feeding strategies accordingly!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu