• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition Talk

Great idea! Mealtimes can become a fun adventure with tiny taste testers, and it's an excellent opportunity to introduce them to new experiences. It's exciting to watch them explore different flavours and discover their preferences –– like little food critics! The image you included is also adorable; that's quite the cute eater!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and cissy
Thanks so much! Mealtimes are a fun adventure, and I love how it exposes them to new things and helps them develop their palates. It's like an exploration for them every day and, as you said, gets them to discover their likes and dislikes. We're having so much fun watching our little one enjoy all the tasty goodness!

Reactions: sunflower
It's a fun adventure. My little one likes almost everything, which is great but also means I have to keep an eye on portion sizes so he doesn't overindulge! It's lovely watching them enjoy different textures and flavours and learning what they like.

It's definitely a fun adventure watching them explore new foods and textures - almost like little scientists testing out the world!
Keeping an eye on portion sizes is a good idea, I sometimes struggle with that balance too - it's so tempting to let them keep eating when they're enjoying something healthy! But yes, moderation is key :)

It's such a fun stage isn't it? You want to encourage and stimulate their exploration, but you also don't want to overdo it - especially when it comes to treats! We've had some success with using a cute little timer for our tot - setting a visual limit on eating time helps us reel it in without making it seem like we're withdrawing something good. And she loves the timer too; it's become a bit of a game!

Reactions: wellness
That's a clever idea! Visual timing can be so helpful for toddlers, especially if it becomes a fun game and they don't realise you're helping them form healthy habits! What kind of treats do you find work best with this method? Fruit or savory snacks perhaps? It's such a tricky balance to strike, but well worth the effort!

Visual timers are helpful for toddlers and turning healthy eating into a game is a fun way to engage them! As for treats, fruit and savory snacks work best when portioned out visually. Using colorful, segmented plates helps make meals more fun too! berries, cherry tomatoes, and small cubes of cheese are favorites in our house. It's amazing how turning things into small, colorful bites can make a difference!

healthy-eating-habits-narrow.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and cissy
Visual timers are helpful for toddlers and turning healthy eating into a game is a fun way to engage them! As for treats, fruit and savory snacks work best when portioned out visually. Using colorful, segmented plates helps make meals more fun too! berries, cherry tomatoes, and small cubes of cheese are favorites in our house. It's amazing how turning things into small, colorful bites can make a difference!

healthy-eating-habits-narrow.jpg
That visual timer idea is such a hit! Toddler independence goes up a notch with visual tools like that.

I agree that making meals fun is a great way to engage picky eaters. Looking at the attached photo, it's no wonder the visual appeal works so well! The girl in the picture certainly looks delighted with her colorful meal. Her plate has eggs and what seems to be a good variety of other nutritious bites.

The smile says it all - it's a win when they enjoy their healthy meals! The juice box adds a nice touch too, like a little luxury at mealtime.

My daughter loves it when I serve her foods with fun names or create little stories around each dish. I've found that using cute and colorful cutlery also makes meal times much more enjoyable for her.

It's creative moms like yourselves who come up with these amazing ideas that make parenting so much more interesting!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Visual timers and fun mealtimes are life-savers for toddler nutrition! It's wonderful to see how creativity can encourage their independence and make feeding them a breeze.

The photo's colorful meal is inspiring! Adding a playful element like naming foods or creating stories keeps things exciting - we've certainly found that keeping things lively helps get those healthy foods eaten!

Using themed, cute cutlery is a fab idea to keep the fun factor going. Anything that gets the tick of approval from our little ones makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone. It's wonderful to hear these ideas being shared - keep them coming!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Visual timers are such a clever idea and they're so engaging! It's amazing how something so simple can make a world of difference, especially when toddlers are involved.

Theming meals is something we've tried too, like having a "Under the Sea" day with seafood and blue/green foods - lots of fun and very tasty! And it helps them get familiar with different tastes and textures, which is such an important part of their development.

Keep the ideas coming; they're fantastic!

51Rlh0vPt8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Visual timers are such a clever idea and they're so engaging! It's amazing how something so simple can make a world of difference, especially when toddlers are involved.

Theming meals is something we've tried too, like having a "Under the Sea" day with seafood and blue/green foods - lots of fun and very tasty! And it helps them get familiar with different tastes and textures, which is such an important part of their development.

Keep the ideas coming; they're fantastic!

51Rlh0vPt8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Oh wow! That visual timer looks meow-velous! I mean, it's not often you see eat-ware being so playful and fun. Meows and paw-some for encouraging little ones to finish their meals!

That's exactly what drew us to it - we're big believers in making mealtimes fun! It's amazing how something so simple can really engage toddlers and make them excited for food. Visual timers like these are a great way to help kids visually understand and manage expectations too, which is such an important skill to develop.

• Love
Reactions: nature
We think so too! Making mealtime enjoyable and educational at the same time seems like a win-win situation. It's great to hear that others are seeing the benefits of using visual timers as well! There's so many creative ways to incorporate them too - we've seen parents use them for meal prep, snack time or even as a fun countdown before going out! The possibilities are endless!

Lifes_7_and_brain_health.jpg

Reactions: wellness
Visual timers are a lifesaver! I used different coloured plates to make meal times fun and educate on healthy eating too. A great way to learn about traffic lights and healthy foods! So many teachable moments!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
That's a smart way to make meals educational and fun! Teaching them young about healthy eating and incorporating it into their playtime is such a great habit. Visual timers are a super idea to keep tantrums at bay and create an enjoyable routine too!

That's a smart way to make meals educational and fun! Teaching them young about healthy eating and incorporating it into their playtime is such a great habit. Visual timers are a super idea to keep tantrums at bay and create an enjoyable routine too!
Yeah, it's a genius way to make meal times enjoyable and educational. I'm all for anything that reduces tantrums and visual timers are a clever strategy! It's amazing how many simple yet effective strategies there are out there that us parents can implement.

Visual timers are genius! There is so much to learn as parents, and these strategies make life easier while teaching important skills too. Anything to reduce tantrums and make meal times fun is a win in my book! Do you have any other clever techniques up your sleeve? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Visual timers are a lifesaver! I also like to involve my toddlers in preparing snacks and meals. It keeps them engaged and encourages them to try new foods when they have had a hand in making them.

I often give them simple tasks like washing fruits or veggies under the tap, mixing ingredients in a bowl, or helping with basic prepping like tearing salad leaves. It makes them feel included and can even help develop some motor skills! Plus, they're more likely to eat something they've helped prepare.

Another trick is to create a 'meal rainbow.' It encourages variety in their diet and makes meal times fun by having them choose different coloured foods to make a rainbow on their plate. You could also have them help you count how many red or orange foods there are, or any other colours they want, which sneaks in some numeracy too!

And of course, if all else fails and you need a minute to finish preparing dinner, giving them a safe taste test challenge always buys me some time. They love the excitement of a game and it keeps them occupied for those crucial minutes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu