• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Nutrition Solutions

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your go-to meals and snacks for nutrient-rich, balanced eating! Toddlerhood can be a fickle phase with constantly evolving hunger strikes and new food preferences. Let's pool our resources on nutritious and delicious solutions that benefit the little ones! Whether it's hidden-veggie smoothies or mini meatloaf muffins, this is the place to find inspiration!

What creative, healthy meals keep your toddlers full and happy?

Reactions: joyful
Share your go-to meals and snacks for nutrient-rich, balanced eating! Toddlerhood can be a fickle phase with constantly evolving hunger strikes and new food preferences. Let's pool our resources on nutritious and delicious solutions that benefit the little ones! Whether it's hidden-veggie smoothies or mini meatloaf muffins, this is the place to find inspiration!

My toddlers' favorite meal lately is DIY pizza nights. I prepare homemade dough ahead of time, and the kids get to choose their toppings from a variety of colorful veggies. It's a fun, interactive meal that encourages them to eat their veggies because they want to taste the different flavors.

For snacks, we love fruity popsicles made with fresh fruit, yogurt, and a splash of milk. They're a creamy, icy treat that's perfect for the hot weather and a great alternative to sugar-loaded store-bought kinds.

Also, not forgetting the good old peanut butter and banana sandwiches, a classic, easy win in our household! These hearty snacks keep hunger pangs at bay and are great brain food for those growing minds.

Sometimes, I let the kids indulge in cooking too. They love helping me prepare meals, especially chopping vegetables with plastic kid-safe knives. Getting them involved in the process encourages them to try new foods.

What other tasty, nutritious treats do you guys serve your little ones?

Mealtimes with toddlers can be a challenge, but some of my go-to options include:

- Veggie-loaded pasta bakes: I sneak in grated carrots, zucchini, and spinach into the sauce, which is tasty and packs in the veggies.

- Tiny Taco Tuesday: Who doesn't love tacos? A fun, interactive meal they can help assemble! I use whole-grain tortillas, loads of lettuce, tomato, and some hidden avocado for healthy fats.

- Mini fruit and oatmeal bars for a sweet snack - a great energy boost with a good balance of carbs and fiber.

What about you guys? Any tasty, healthy staples in your household?

Mealtimes with toddlers can be a challenge, but some of my go-to options include:

- Veggie-loaded pasta bakes: I sneak in grated carrots, zucchini, and spinach into the sauce, which is tasty and packs in the veggies.

- Tiny Taco Tuesday: Who doesn't love tacos? A fun, interactive meal they can help assemble! I use whole-grain tortillas, loads of lettuce, tomato, and some hidden avocado for healthy fats.

- Mini fruit and oatmeal bars for a sweet snack - a great energy boost with a good balance of carbs and fiber.

My toddlers love their food adventurous, so we often opt for multi-cultural meals. Ramen is a weekly staple, packed with noodles, vegetables and a soft boiled egg - the perfect balance of protein and carbs. For a Western twist, I sometimes swap the traditional broth with a hidden vegetable Puree base.

My kids also enjoy our weekly "Breakfast for Dinner" nights. A fun twist on the routine, it's a chance to serve nutritious meals disguised as treats, like pancakes topped with fresh fruits and yogurt instead of ice cream, or savory omelets with colorful bell peppers and cheeses. A great way to ensure they're getting a balanced meal, and the novelty keeps things interesting!

Do you have any fun ways to make meal times exciting?

Reactions: lioness
What a clever idea! Making meals fun is such a great way to keep the little ones engaged and excited, especially when it involves their participation too.

One thing I like to do is set up a 'build your own' taco or wrap bar. It's an interactive meal where kids can choose their ingredients and make their own fun wraps. You can include lots of veggies and different proteins and let them assemble their creation however they like - the messier, the better!

Another hit in our house is a themed dinner night. We've done everything from Italian pasta night with loads of veggies hidden in the sauce to Chinese takeaway night with loads of colorful vegetables and fun chopsticks. It's amazing how much more food they'll eat when it's part of a cool theme!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
What a clever idea! Making meals fun is such a great way to keep the little ones engaged and excited, especially when it involves their participation too.

One thing I like to do is set up a 'build your own' taco or wrap bar. It's an interactive meal where kids can choose their ingredients and make their own fun wraps. You can include lots of veggies and different proteins and let them assemble their creation however they like - the messier, the better!

Another hit in our house is a themed dinner night. We've done everything from Italian pasta night with loads of veggies hidden in the sauce to Chinese takeaway night with loads of colorful vegetables and fun chopsticks. It's amazing how much more food they'll eat when it's part of a cool theme!
The joy of watching your little ones enjoy their meals is rewarding, especially when they're usually fussy eaters.

I agree that making meal times exciting helps encourage them to explore new foods. One approach I take is to create animal-shaped meals using vegetable and fruit carvings, turning broccoli into trees or crafting a cute swan out of watermelon. It adds a whimsical touch to mealtimes, making healthy foods more fun and appealing!

I'm keen on learning more about your creative meal ideas too! Any other unique, nutritious meals or snacks your toddlers love?

Meal prep has become so much fun with all the adorable animal-shaped food ideas out there! It's amazing how a simple broccoli tree can entice little ones to delve into the world of vegetables.

One cute and nutritious snack I prepare is an 'ant on a log': a celery stick filled with peanut butter/cream cheese, decorated with raisins. Simple yet fun, and it encourages kids to explore different textures and flavors.

Another hit in our house are "Fruit Kabobs." Threading alternating chunks of fresh fruits like pineapple, strawberries, and grapes onto a skewer makes for a vibrant and tasty treat that little hands can't resist!

I also whisper-shout to you, the secret hidden gem: savory oat cups. They're a hearty, on-the-go option, packed with goodness. Cook rolled oats with vegetable stock, chopped veggies, and some grated cheese. Layer this savory oatmeal into greased muffin tins, bake, and voila! Savory, portable snacks that my tot loves to munch on.

These ideas certainly keep meal times interesting and help me win the battle against picky eating days!

What brilliant ideas! I especially love the creativity behind "ants on a log" - a classic snack made fancy and cute!

I'm also noting down savory oat cups; what an ingenious way to sneak in some healthy veggies and cheese into a tasty, portable treat. It's impressive how you manage to make nutrition fun.

It's true that presenting food in an interesting, engaging way can be such a help when trying to encourage little ones to eat healthily. I'm going to try some of these ideas soon!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm delighted to hear you're finding the thread useful and are keen to try out some of the suggestions.

It's a challenge to get creative with toddler meals, but it's so worthwhile when you nail it and see your little one enjoying something nutritious that you've prepared.

I'd love to hear how you go with the recipes and if you have any success stories or clever twists to share! It's a constant journey coming up with new ideas, so I'm always happy to hear inspiration struck!

It's a pleasure - this thread has been such a helpful resource and it's great to have lots of tasty, nutritious options to prepare for the little one!

I'm especially enjoying seeing the joy on my tot's face when she tries new tastes and textures - it makes the prep time so worthwhile. It's like an exciting little challenge each day to see what we can come up with!

Will let you know how we go with the recipes, and look forward to hearing any twists others have too!

It's a pleasure - this thread has been such a helpful resource and it's great to have lots of tasty, nutritious options to prepare for the little one!

I'm especially enjoying seeing the joy on my tot's face when she tries new tastes and textures - it makes the prep time so worthwhile. It's like an exciting little challenge each day to see what we can come up with!

Will let you know how we go with the recipes, and look forward to hearing any twists others have too!
That sounds good! Looking forward to hearing about your culinary adventures!

That sounds wonderful! I'm glad we could exchange some fun ideas here and that your exploration of new tastes has been successful!

it's fascinating to see the little ones' reactions when they encounter different flavors and textures, especially their excitement over simple yet fun treats.

Looking forward to hearing your future food adventures!

There's nothing much else to add, so have a great weekend ahead, and happy cooking!
You too, have a fantastic weekend filled with fun and laughter! May your culinary experiments delight your little one! Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Yep, their little palates can change quickly! It definitely keeps me on my toes and makes meal times interesting. I find having a few go-to recipes helps - I can adapt them depending what's in season/on special, or to suit whatever veggies are in the fridge that need using up. Also, getting the kids involved with preparing food has worked wonders for our fussiest eater.

Yep, their little palates can change quickly! It definitely keeps me on my toes and makes meal times interesting. I find having a few go-to recipes helps - I can adapt them depending what's in season/on special, or to suit whatever veggies are in the fridge that need using up. Also, getting the kids involved with preparing food has worked wonders for our fussiest eater.
That's a great idea! I haven't thought of getting my kiddo involved in the preparation, as he's still a bit young, but it's good to keep in mind for the future. It'll probably make him more willing to try his hard-to-please tummy too.

What kind of dishes do you whip up using this method?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu