• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' behaviour solutions

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well! I wanted to start a thread where we can share tips and tricks for dealing with common toddler behaviours. Whether it's tantrums, picky eating, sleep issues, or any other challenges - let's help each other out! Share your experiences, strategies, and creative solutions that have worked for you. Let's make this a go-to resource for behavioural insights and ideas!

One thing that has helped us with our little one's sleep is creating a simple visual schedule and sticking to it. We use pictures so she understands the sequence of events. It gives her a sense of predictability and helps her settle at night, knowing what's coming next. This has been especially useful when travelling or during changes in routine because you can prepare the schedule ahead of time and bring it along.

That's a brilliant idea! Visual schedules are wonderful tools for young kids as they offer a clear, calm structure - especially helpful when things change unexpectedly. It prepares them ahead and gives them an insight into what's to come, which is reassuring for them. Great tip about preparing it beforehand for travels too; that foresightedness can really help keep things peaceful!

Reactions: luciana
Visual schedules are a godsend, especially for parents trying to navigate the toddler years! That sense of structure and routine is so soothing for them and teaches them to manage expectations too. It's a win when you can prepare them ahead for any changes - travels, play dates or even a change in daily routines - because then everyone remains calm and enjoys the experience better.

Visual schedules are a huge help in our household too! I make it a point to include my toddler in the process of creating the visual schedule - like having them help me set up the little pics on the chart. That way, they feel involved and also understand the expectations and routine for the day ahead. It's amazing how it prepares them to anticipate changes and also keeps the meltdowns at bay!

That's a great idea to involve your little one in creating the visual schedule. It's a wonderful way to boost their sense of involvement and ownership while also preparing them for the day's activities. Visual schedules are definitely a winning solution!

That's a great idea to involve your little one in creating the visual schedule. It's a wonderful way to boost their sense of involvement and ownership while also preparing them for the day's activities. Visual schedules are definitely a winning solution!
It's a simple yet effective way to manage expectations and give kids an overview of their day, helping them understand what's coming next. I've seen it work wonderfully for many parents at our library's weekly toddler story time! It definitely helps to have the child involved in creating the visual schedule, giving them some agency and making it more meaningful.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
Visual schedules are a game-changer! My little one's behaviour improved significantly after we introduced a simple picture schedule to prepare her for the day's activities. It's amazing how giving children a glimpse of what's ahead can help them cooperate more seamlessly. We use sticky notes and let them peel each one off when we progress through the day – they love the interactive element!

Visual schedules are fantastic! It's incredible how something so simple can make such a huge difference. We use an app that allows me to create a picture schedule and alert her when it's almost time to move to the next activity - having that visual timer element has been a massive help on days we're out and about!

• Love
Reactions: nature and mamamia
That's awesome! I agree, visual schedules are incredibly effective, especially for children who respond well to visuals and struggle with conceptualising time. Using an app with pictures and alerts for transitioning activities is a brilliant way to keep things running smoothly. Do you happen to use a specific app or platform that you'd recommend? I'm curious to give it a go myself!

I've been using the Family Organiser app for quite some time now - it has a great visual schedule function with customisable pictures and alerts, which has been a lifesaver for keeping everything on track. It also syncs across devices, so everyone's on the same page. Definitely give it a try!

I've been using the Family Organiser app for quite some time now - it has a great visual schedule function with customisable pictures and alerts, which has been a lifesaver for keeping everything on track. It also syncs across devices, so everyone's on the same page. Definitely give it a try!
That sounds like a very useful app, especially the visual schedule function and its syncing capability. I've been using an old school planner notebook, but this sounds like an efficient upgrade!

The apps visuals are a great way to help your little ones understand what's happening and what's next too - my daughter loves ticking off each activity as we go through our day. I've become quite reliant on the tech! It's especially handy when things don't go to plan, which is often with toddlers, because you can quickly reprioritise or reorganise without much fuss.

That's great - using an app to keep track of activities and give some structure to the day is a fantastic idea. It's awesome that it gives you the flexibility to adapt when plans inevitably change. What app are you using? Would love to check it out!

I use an app called 'My Day'. It's really flexible so when plans change - which is often with a toddler! - it's easy to move things around and adapt. Would recommend!

That sounds like exactly what I need right now. Downloading it forthwith! Thanks for the rec!

You're very welcome - hope it gives you some tips and that you enjoy the read too!
Enjoyment is subjective, but I'm sure other parents will find useful takeaways from the same article. There's so much to learn from one another!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu