• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' behaviors and development

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers can be very curious and adventurous as they start exploring their surroundings more independently. They may begin to test boundaries too and assert themselves in various ways! Here are some strategies shared by the mummies:

1. Baby-proofing the house and setting simple rules to ensure safety
2. Redirecting their attention towards other things
3. Offering choices helps them feel involved in decision-making
4. Setting aside special playtime for full attention, tiring them out with physical activities
5. Using time-outs as a last resort, explaining reasons firmly but calmly
6. Encouraging good behavior with small treats or incentives
7. Staying calm and consistent in managing their emotions and behaviors
8. Assigning age-appropriate chores to boost their sense of accomplishment
9. Providing choices for simple decisions like outfits or food options
10. Giving explanations simply and clearly, and offering resources for self-exploration

This stage of life is such an interesting time as our little ones start asserting their independence and testing boundaries - their curiosity, energy, and enthusiasm are delightful but also pose new challenges! Let's discuss the strategies you've found helpful in managing these new behaviors and fostering positive development. Share your experiences, insights, and tips!

Wah this stage really interesting sia, our little ones becoming more independent and all. I find that giving them some form of responsibility according to their age helps! Like simple things like keeping their toys after playtime or choosing what outfit to wear for the day. And also giving choices, like asking if they prefer to have fruits or veggies first haha. It makes them feel in control and also teaches them to make decisions. Not easy but super helpful in managing their new found assertiveness.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Toddlers getting more independent these days, ah? I noticed that too! They are certainly full of beans and always keep us on our toes. Managing their new behaviours sure needs some fancy footwork!

One thing that helps me is to keep calm and assert myself as a parent, while also allowing some leeway for their budding autonomy. Setting clear, simple rules and explaining them firmly, but with kindness, seems to work okay. Also, giving them little responsibilities like simple chores or looking after a pet helps with their sense of purpose.

Mostly I try to redirect that endless toddler energy into fun activities, like races or games, so everyone wins! We've also been doing some art projects - they love the mess, and it keeps them engaged. I just need to remember to keep lots of spare clothes on hand!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Oh gosh, this phase is such a joy to witness! My little one's newfound independence sure keeps me on my toes these days.

I find that giving choices helps a lot. Like, instead of asking them to pick up their toys, I'd say, "Which toys should we pack away first, the big truck or the small car?" Also helps to manage expectations by giving a clear and specific time frame, e.g., "We'll go to the park in 10 minutes once we're all ready!"

Also, super important to give lots of positive reinforcement when they behave well or do as asked. Got to catch those good moments to praise and encourage! That way, they feel good about doing the right thing too. It's a win-win 'cause everyone feels happy!

Then, for redirection, which is a life saver some days. If they're into something inappropriate, I just engage them with something else that's more acceptable, like if they're banging toys and making too much noise, I'd quickly offer a fun song or dance to grab their attention and divert the energy elsewhere.

Mostly, it's staying cool, consistent, and patient - easier said than done, but we gotta keep our zen! - and remember that this phase shall also pass. But while it lasts, might as well enjoy the ride and embrace the challenges 'cause before we know it, they're all grown up!

200.gif

Toddlers always want the things that they can't have. So, as much as possible, I try to anticipate what might happen and manage these situations by distractingly re-directing them towards something else.

For example, if they're pulling stuff from the shelves - which inevitably happens - I'd quietly remove any dangerous items first and redirect their attention to another activity or toy they can have. Or sometimes I'll just straight up swap the forbidden item with a suitable replacement - anything to avoid a tantrum!

It also helps to be consistent and firm with your rules, so they know you mean business. But at the same time, remember to give lots of love and positive reinforcement when they do well or obey instructions, so they stay motivated to please you.

There will be times when they throw tantrums despite our best efforts. In such situations, I keep calm, ignore the behavior, and wait for them to settle down on their own while ensuring no one gets hurt. Then, I explain the rules and consequences again in a simple and firm manner, and give lots of hugs afterward.

We could also try anticipating their needs more proactively so they don't become cranky in the first place, like having snacks ready when hunger strikes or packing distractions when we know we'll be waiting somewhere. Prevention is key!

These strategies work for me most of the time, but every child is different, so I'm always adapting. It's a joy to see them learning and growing, even if it can be challenging!

Toddlers these days! Their energy levels are really something else hah. Managing their hyper-activeness and curiosity can be quite a challenge, especially when you're trying to keep them safe from harm while also encouraging their independence.

For me, the key is distraction and diversion. When I see my tot running towards the stairs or some potential hazard, instead of saying a firm 'no' which might prompt a meltdown, I quickly swoop in with a fun alternative. Pointing out something interesting in the opposite direction like a bird flying by or a friend playing nearby helps to shift their focus.

Another strategy is engaging them in a game or activity that captures their attention and exercise some of that boundless energy. It's amazing how a simple game of hide-and-seek or a bubble-blowing session can occupy their minds and keep them stimulated without incident.

Timeouts are also useful when they've misbehaved or had a tantrum. Explaining why they're sitting out helps them understand the cause and effect and encourages better behaviour, at least in my experience. But honestly, it's a constant learning curve - every toddler is different and you've gotta find what works!

Reactions: cissy
I find giving time-outs helpful when my tot gets overly excited or naughty. Also, diverting their attention to another activity they enjoy can help calm them down and redirect their energy.

It's fascinating to witness their curiosity and the constant learning and development! We definitely have our hands full but it's such a rewarding experience too!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Yup, definitely agree that this phase is super interesting as they start asserting their independence! I think one of the things that has helped me manage new behaviors is to try and view it from their perspective - like seeing things through their eyes. Also, being consistent and explaining the whys behind the rules/boundaries seems helpful too! It gives them some insight into the structure we have at home and why things are done a certain way. And of course, lots of encouragement and positive reinforcement goes a long way in boosting their confidence too!

True that! I find giving choices works like a charm too. Like you said, redirecting their energy is so important cos sometimes, these little humans got so much energy, haha!

What also helps me is to involve my child in my daily tasks. Like when I'm cooking, I'll give him simple jobs like washing the veggies or mixing ingredients. Or if I'm folding laundry, I'll ask him to sort out his clothes from the pile. Keeps him occupied and makes him feel important too!

And yup, lots of praise and positive reinforcement work well. I think it's also nice for us mums to hear those little ones say "Good job!" So heart melting man.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I've found that engaging them in simple tasks or activities which they enjoy helps a lot! Like letting them "help" with simple chores like setting the table or mixing ingredients while cooking. Gives them some sense of involvement and keeps them occupied, plus it's quite fun to see the little ones eager to lend a hand! Also helps in teaching them life skills, slowly but surely. It's an exciting phase watching them explore their newfound autonomy.

Ah yes, this phase is truly something else! I've found that simple and clear discipline strategies work best for my little one. Time-outs help when she gets a bit carried away and attention span is still short.

Diverting their focus to another fun activity can be a lifesaver too - keeps them occupied and avoids further meltdowns! Gotta love their curiosity tho - keeps us on our toes!

Wah this stage can be so funny hor! My tot has been going through a phase where she wants to do everything by herself - eating, dressing up, even putting on her shoes! Takes forever but I let her take her time and give lots of encouragement cos I feel it's part of growing up haha.

I find giving simple instructions helps, like telling them what to do next instead of asking. Also, keeping my reactions consistent - if I say something is not good, I gotta stick to it and not give in cos they pick up on that quick! Not easy tho, lots of patience needed 😅😅😅.

True ah! Keep calm and assert ourselves - that's key to surviving this period without losing our minds! Ha! Ha! I find it especially helpful to redirect their energy into fun activities. Toddlers gonna be tired out after all that playing, so they conk out earlier . And less energy means less havoc, right?!

It's also good to give them some small responsibilities - teaches them the value of contributing and also keeps them occupied! But we also don't want to keto things too serious or stressful for them. We adults can get pretty stressed out already without passing it onto our little ones, so keeping things light and fun is best!

Life is fascinating when our little ones start growing up so fast and developing new traits! The other day my toddler simply refused to eat the food I prepared. She wanted what her brother was having instead - a total tantrum!

I turned it into a game by getting her to 'help' me make her favourite meal, which worked wonders because she felt involved and kept her busy too. The whole experience became so enjoyable that it has now become our special cooking time together! So I feel like finding ways to include their interest and efforts in household affairs could be one way to steer the independence-seeking into a positive direction. Also makes them feel grown up and proud of their newfound abilities!

30907452907_dca89b1de5_m.jpg

It's certainly an interesting phase as our little ones start exploring their newfound independence! We've been doing lots of baby-proofing around the house and setting some simple rules to keep things safe and manageable.

When they start testing boundaries, I find that distraction works wonders! Pointing out something exciting or fun nearby helps steer their focus and energy in a new direction. Also, giving them simple choices helps them feel involved and empowers them to make decisions - e.g., "Do you want to wear your blue or red shirt today?"

Setting aside special playtime also helps, where I give my tot my full attention, which keeps them engaged and entertained. It somehow makes the other 'no-nos' less appealing!

Timeouts are a last resort but sometimes necessary. I make sure to explain the reason for the timeout firmly but calmly.

It's definitely challenging, but these strategies help me manage the new behaviours. Would love to hear other ways you guys keep things running smoothly at this stage!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I've noticed my tot has become more adventurous since she started walking. She's always so curious about everything and wants to explore and touch everything in sight!

We've been teaching her a lot about boundaries and safety, which she seems to understand. We usually redirect her attention and explain why she can't do something or touch certain things, especially things that could be dangerous. She seems to respond well when we acknowledge her curiosity and let her know it's okay to explore but within limits.

Also, we've been trying to encourage good behavior with simple incentives like little toys or treats, which seem to work so far! We don't go overboard though, just a small reward here and there for being well-behaved or doing something we've asked her to do. It's amazing how these little people observe and pick up things, and it's so heartwarming to see them grow and develop their personalities!

Reactions: joyful
Agree that it's such an interesting stage to navigate! My girl also starting to assert her independence lately. I think keeping a cool and consistent approach helps - not easy though, I know, especially when we're tired or stressed.

I find giving simple choices helpful too, like for picking outfits or snacks, it gives the illusion of control which seems to satisfy their newfound assertion haha. Also can distract them from unwanted behaviors by quickly offering an engaging alternative activity, keep them focused on something else. But yeah, each kid is different so definitely got to adapt and figure out what works best!

Life sure is interesting now that our little ones are becoming more independent and assertive! Their curiosity and energy are a delight but can also be a challenge.

I find keeping calm and assertive helps me stay sane. Redirecting their boundless energy into fun activities tires them out, so they sleep earlier, which is a win in my book! Giving them small responsibilities is another good strategy - they learn the value of contributing and keep themselves occupied. We don't want to overburden them though –- keeping things light and fun is best!

Toddlers have a way of keeping us on our toes, so we need to be savvy in managing their new behaviors. I set clear, simple rules and explain them firmly but kindly. It's amazing how effective this simple strategy is! Also, assigning them chores or caring for a pet helps boost their sense of self.

The key is engaging their hyperactive selves constructively. races and art projects keep them entertained, though messily so!

This is an interesting phase - got to strike a balance between firm and fun!

My little one's like a sponge, absorbing everything. So I make sure to be extra patient and explain things simply and firmly. Also, giving choices helps too - "Do you want milk or water?" takes away the power struggle.

For tantrums, I just stay calm and ignore them. Once they realize that it's not getting any reaction, the kiddos calm down fast. Of course, a big hug after helps to show that all is well and no hard feelings!

As for their superpowers in picking up new skills, I let them explore and learn at their own pace. They will get there eventually - no need to push too much, just provide opportunities and encouragement. It's rewarding to see the little victories!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
True ah! Giving clear and simple instructions helps me too. And also prepare everything the night before so got less fuss in the morning when everyone is rushing out. If not sure what to do or how to handle certain situations, I just follow my tot's lead and go along with her pace - see how she does things her way first, then guide her from there.

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu