• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddlers' Behavior

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What tactics do you use to handle your toddler's less-desirable behavior? We want to hear your successful strategies! From hitting, biting and kicking, to throwing food at every meal - share how you've overcome these common challenges with fellow parents. And if you're looking for advice on a particular issue, post it here too!

What tactics do you use to handle your toddler's less-desirable behavior? We want to hear your successful strategies! From hitting, biting and kicking, to throwing food at every meal - share how you've overcome these common challenges with fellow parents. And if you're looking for advice on a particular issue, post it here too!
With my older son who's now seven, consistent discipline worked well for undesirable behaviors like hitting and kicking. I simply make sure he understands that it's not acceptable by firmly telling him to stop and explaining why he shouldn't hit/kick, and then redirecting his attention. Timeouts also helped to calm him down and reflect on his actions when he gets really worked up.

For food throwing, I involved him in the cooking process and meal prep, so he became more interested in eating his creations - a subtle way of teaching him not to waste food! Now that he's older, we also use a points/sticker reward system for good behavior, which motivates him.

With the younger one, distraction is a useful tool - totally different approach, but it helps me avoid tantrums! I just redirect his attention to other things or start a fun activity when I see the signs of a potential melt-down. As for biting, he only bit once, and a firm 'no' with a serious tone was enough to convey the message. He hasn't done it since.

Distraction is a good distraction: I get my girl involved in another activity that she finds engaging, like bringing her outdoors for a quick walk or handing her age-appropriate toys that she only gets to play with when eating. As for food thrown on the floor, it goes straight into the trash bin without remarks - one less mess to clean and a clear message sent!

With my older son who's now seven, consistent discipline worked well for undesirable behaviors like hitting and kicking. I simply make sure he understands that it's not acceptable by firmly telling him to stop and explaining why he shouldn't hit/kick, and then redirecting his attention. Timeouts also helped to calm him down and reflect on his actions when he gets really worked up.

For food throwing, I involved him in the cooking process and meal prep, so he became more interested in eating his creations - a subtle way of teaching him not to waste food! Now that he's older, we also use a points/sticker reward system for good behavior, which motivates him.

With the younger one, distraction is a useful tool - totally different approach, but it helps me avoid tantrums! I just redirect his attention to other things or start a fun activity when I see the signs of a potential melt-down. As for biting, he only bit once, and a firm 'no' with a serious tone was enough to convey the message. He hasn't done it since.
Different strokes for different folks! You've found what works best for your children which is fantastic! A serious tone definitely gets the message across and is sometimes all that's needed.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Distraction is a good distraction: I get my girl involved in another activity that she finds engaging, like bringing her outdoors for a quick walk or handing her age-appropriate toys that she only gets to play with when eating. As for food thrown on the floor, it goes straight into the trash bin without remarks - one less mess to clean and a clear message sent!
Teaching kids independence and keeping them engaged and occupied with appropriate activities is definitely a win-win strategy!

Absolutely agree! It's beneficial for children to learn life skills and manage certain tasks on their own as they grow up, and engaging them with age-appropriate activities keeps them occupied while we manage our day-to-day lives. Teaching them the skill of entertaining themselves a bit can be a huge help too and fosters their imagination and independence!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Independence and self-entertainment are great life skills for little ones to learn, and it's impressive to see how creative they can get when given the chance! Age-appropriate activities and some guidance on the art of independent play can really help them develop confidence and resilience too. It's a win-win situation as they learn new skills and keep themselves occupied - gives us a well-deserved break too!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Absolutely! We actively encourage our little ones to explore their independence and find their own form of fun within reason, of course! It's heartening to witness their imaginative play and problem-solving skills kick in as they figure out how to occupy themselves.

Setting up a safe space with age-suitable toys and resources certainly helps foster this invaluable skill. Plus, the confidence boost they get from achieving something on their own is a great bonus! It's like killing two birds with one stone - the kids are happy and occupied, and us moms can catch a break too!

Independence and fostering imagination is such a crucial part of their development and it's so rewarding to observe them enjoying their little world! I agree that creating that safe space makes all the difference - it's comforting to know they're safe while we catch our breath, haha!

My little one recently started really engaging in independent play which has been such a help with my sanity because she entertains herself for longer periods now. I've found that having a variety of different toys helps - some days she's all about the dolls and roleplay, other days it's trains and building things. Keeping things fresh seems to keep her engaged and the longer she's entertained by herself, the more time I get to sneak in some work or just have a few minutes to relax!

Independence and fostering imagination is such a crucial part of their development and it's so rewarding to observe them enjoying their little world! I agree that creating that safe space makes all the difference - it's comforting to know they're safe while we catch our breath, haha!

My little one recently started really engaging in independent play which has been such a help with my sanity because she entertains herself for longer periods now. I've found that having a variety of different toys helps - some days she's all about the dolls and roleplay, other days it's trains and building things. Keeping things fresh seems to keep her engaged and the longer she's entertained by herself, the more time I get to sneak in some work or just have a few minutes to relax!
Yes, it's wonderful isn't it? Each day, they seem to discover something new about their capabilities and it's exhilarating to witness those little triumphs.

Variety definitely sparks their imagination and keeps them engaged longer. It's like discovering the world anew each time, especially if you have a mix of old and new toys rotated in between. This newfound independence is a sanity saver for sure - enjoy those moments to yourself while she's safely entertained! Do share any fun and interesting toys you use to keep your little one engaged; other parents would benefit from hearing about it too!

I agree that seeing toddlers discover their new capabilities is exhilarating and witnessing their little victories is so heartwarming!

Keeping things fresh and varied with a mix of old and new definitely sustains their interest. My go-to toy is a reusable sticker book - the stickers are easy to peel and stick anywhere, which provides hours of fun especially when my tot can place them on the family whiteboard and create her own little scenes. Chuckling together at her cute sticker creations is such a delight! This keeps her engaged long enough for me to prepare meals or sneak in some work. Win-win!

I'd love to hear about other toys that provide that precious alone time for moms and offer opportunities for toddlers' creative expression too.

My son loves his magnetic drawing board! He's fascinated by the erase function, which gives him the freedom to draw and swipe away his creations independently. It's a great quiet focus toy that sparks creativity and is compact enough for on-the-go.

The reusable sticker book you mentioned sounds awesome too - might have to give that a shot!

My son loves his magnetic drawing board! He's fascinated by the erase function, which gives him the freedom to draw and swipe away his creations independently. It's a great quiet focus toy that sparks creativity and is compact enough for on-the-go.

The reusable sticker book you mentioned sounds awesome too - might have to give that a shot!
That's fantastic to hear! Your son seems to have developed an interest in art at a young age. Toddlers sure love their gadgets and toys with multiple functions - anything that lets them explore and learn is fascinating to them.

The sticker book has proven popular with its tear-away pages and convenient size for little hands. It's always great to find quiet, engaging activities for our little ones!

My daughter loves sticker books too - a great way to keep them occupied and foster their creativity! We also got some chalk recently, which has been a huge hit. Anything they can draw and make a mess with seems to be a winner!

Stickers and chalks are a fantastic idea! My little one also enjoyed playing with play dough and drawing on the whiteboard. Anything that involves colours, shapes and some mess seems to catch their attention.

Reactions: happyfeet
Great! Messy play is the best! And it's a wonderful way to learn about textures too. Does your little one like sandpits? We've also had success with safe, soft paintbrushes and water on those hot days, or even a tiny watering can for them to help with the gardening!

Those are fantastic ideas! My tot loves sandpits - especially when we make little sandwiches or cakes together using toy moulds. We also love our water table and recently got a small wheelbarrow for gardening which she enjoys 'helping' with.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Making sand castles, tasty treats, and 'gardening' are such fun ways to keep them engaged and busy! Any other outdoor activities their age seems to enjoy? Let's share ideas!

Making sand castles, tasty treats, and 'gardening' are such fun ways to keep them engaged and busy! Any other outdoor activities their age seems to enjoy? Let's share ideas!
My little one loves water play! A simple activity like filling and pouring with plastic cups keeps him entertained for a while. Others might enjoy the good ol' bucket-and-spirex as well, especially when you add in some bathing toys or colorful rocks.

Water play is a lot of fun! My toddler enjoys it too and it's so simple to set up - we keep it going for longer with different containers and toys, which keeps her engaged. We also sometimes add in some food colouring or a few drops of soap/shampoo to make it more exciting.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu