• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler & Preschooler Nutrition: Wholesome Meals For Your Little Ones' Growth.

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

As parents, we want the best for our little ones and this usually starts with good nutrition. This thread is dedicated to sharing ideas on how to make sure our toddlers and preschoolers are getting all the nutrients they need to grow up strong!

What tasty yet nutritious meals has your little one been enjoying lately? What do you do when they throw a tantrum over veggies or refuse to eat anything but chicken nuggets?

Let's share our strategies, recipes and tips for keeping those tiny tummies full and happy while ensuring they get all the nourishment required during these important years.

I'll start! My 3-year old has recently discovered the joy of roasted vegetables, especially broccoli. I simply toss some broccoli florets in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them till they're slightly crispy. He now asks for "tree food"! It's a win when he eats something healthy without even realizing it. 😁

What are your go-to nutritious meals for your tiny tots?

Good morning everyone!

As parents, we want the best for our little ones and this usually starts with good nutrition. This thread is dedicated to sharing ideas on how to make sure our toddlers and preschoolers are getting all the nutrients they need to grow up strong!

What tasty yet nutritious meals has your little one been enjoying lately? What do you do when they throw a tantrum over veggies or refuse to eat anything but chicken nuggets?

Let's share our strategies, recipes and tips for keeping those tiny tummies full and happy while ensuring they get all the nourishment required during these important years.

I'll start! My 3-year old has recently discovered the joy of roasted vegetables, especially broccoli. I simply toss some broccoli florets in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them till they're slightly crispy. He now asks for "tree food"! It's a win when he eats something healthy without even realizing it. 😁

My kiddo's been into pasta with hidden pureed veggies. A bit sneaky but it works! Also, roasted anything is a huge hit in our house too - those crispy edges are加饭加菜 (an extra dish to go with rice). Win when they think it's a treat!

Good morning everyone!

My daughter loves her some good ol' chicken and rice, but recently I've been able to sneaky some minced up veggies like carrots and onions into the fried rice!

Good morning everyone!

Hey there! My daughter has been into her greens lately, luckily! She calls them her 'super foods' because they give her superpowers, which makes eating them way more fun. I've been able to disguise all sorts of things in a smoothie; spinach, carrots and beetroot are her current favourites. I'll also sometimes add some protein by tossing in some yogurt or egg whites. It's a great way to hide those nutritious veggies!

I keep a close eye on portion sizes too, because preschooler tummies can be quite small! So I make sure she gets a balanced meal that fills her up without overdoing it.

What other fun ways do you guys have to get your kids enjoying their nutrients?

Good morning everyone!

Hey there! That's a great initiative to start with good nutrition; I think most parents would relate to that!

My little one is a pretty adventurous eater, luckily. She's been into trying new foods lately, which makes me relieved! We've been exploring different cuisines, basically anything that's not the typical kid-friendly food.

One of her current favorites is a Mediterranean-inspired lunch/dinner: a chickpea salad with loads of veggies like cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and olives. I marinate the chickpeas in olive oil, lemon juice, and some herbs, then toss in the chopped vegetables. It's refreshing, especially on hot days, and she enjoys the crunch and different flavors.

Also, I'm glad your kiddo is enjoying roasted veggies! It's a great, tasty way to eat healthier foods. Mine likes them too, but I usually have to be sneakier with adding in the green stuff. Finely chopped spinach or zucchini hidden in meat patties, or blended cauliflower into the mashed potatoes, etc. You've got to do what you've got to do!

I'm sure other parents would love to hear more ideas too. Do share your go-to sneaky ways of adding nutrients to your kids' meals!

Good morning everyone!

My kids love homemade chicken nuggets. I bake them instead of frying, and use wholegrain breadcrumbs with lots of spices to make them yummy. I also sneak in some grated veggies like carrots and zucchini. The spice blend makes it a hit with the kids, and I'm happy they're getting some nutrients!

Good morning everyone!

My kiddo's current obsession is quinoa salads, which I find quite remarkable since it's such an unusual taste and texture compared to the typical kid-friendly foods. Quinoa is super nutty and satisfying, a great source of plant-based protein. I usually cook the quinoa with vegetable broth for added flavor, then toss in some roasted veggies like carrots and pumpkin, and a little feta cheese for saltiness. It's colorful and nutritious, and the different textures seem to keep his attention.

I also pack lots of herbs into his meals, like basil, mint, and cilantro. They add a nice punch of flavor to otherwise bland foods, and make the dishes look prettier too. If your little ones are fussy about vegetables, pesto is a great way to disguise them! I blend spinach, basil, and even carrots into a delicious green pesto sauce that goes well with pasta or as a spread on sandwiches.

What other creative strategies do you guys use to sneak in those healthy veggies? It's a constant challenge but so much fun to come up with new ideas!

Good morning everyone!

My kids love their veggies too, especially when I serve them with a yummy dip. Hummus is a great hit in our household, and an easy way to get them eating healthy options without a fight. Also, home-made chicken nuggets made with organic free-range chicken are a staple in our house and a great snack option for the kids' playdates.

I find that involving my kids in preparing the food also encourages them to eat it. They may be young, but they can help wash veggies or fruit, or in a simple task of mixing ingredients together. It makes meal times fun for them and also an educational learning journey as I explain what goes into their tummies to keep them strong.

Good morning everyone!

My son's recent favorite is homemade mini meatloaf. I sneakily pureed carrots and mushrooms to pack some extra veggies into the juicy minced beef. It's a fun, cute meal which he enjoys eating with his hands, and the hidden veggies add some needed nutrients!

I also get his help when blending the ingredients in the food processor, which encourages him to eat what he's helped prepare.

Good morning everyone!

My little one calls roasted broccolli 'green trees' and asks for them by name too! I'm definitely not complaining, could eat a whole head of broccolli myself, especially charred fresh green-tree straight from the grill!

One of the things I do is hide nutritious ingredients in my kids' favorite dishes. For example, grated carrots and chopped up spinach leaves go into their favorite hamburger/patties and pasta sauce. I also make sure to serve a variety of fruits and vegetables with every meal, be it cooked or raw. It's good to expose them to different textures and tastes, and luckily my kids seem to enjoy the crunch!

Sometimes, I get creative with food presentation too, making cute bento-style meals. It makes lunch and dinner an exciting surprise! Using cookie cutters to make shapes out of their sandwiches or frying an egg and arranging it with other bite-sized snacks in the shape of a smiley face can make meal times fun.

Also, involving my kids in the preparation has also helped with getting them to eat what they've helped to make. They are more inclined to try new foods when they've had a hand in preparing them and are proud of their 'masterpiece'. It doesn't have to be complicated; even young toddlers can help with simple tasks like washing vegetables under supervision or mixing ingredients in a bowl!

Good morning everyone!

My little girl has been into her fruits lately, which is a great way to start the day. She calls her favorite fruit "the spiky one", which is a cute name for a kiwi! Kiwis are packed with vitamins and the natural sweetness makes it a winning snack option.

I also blend vegetables like carrots and beets into her afternoon smoothies, which she guzzles down without realizing what's inside. It's a great way to hide some extra nutrition when they're being finicky!

Good morning everyone!

Hi there! What a great topic! Nutrition is such an important part of our children's growth and development, and it's a challenge to keep coming up with interesting meal ideas they'll enjoy.

My little one has been into his fruits and veggies lately, thank goodness! We've been keeping it simple with a mixed fruit smoothie for breakfast, which he loves helping to prepare. He gets to toss in his favorite fruits into the blender, and vege-wise, he's been quite taken with roasted carrots and pumpkin. A dash of cinnamon seems to make everything more exciting too!

I find that involving him in preparing the food encourages him to try new things. Also, keeping a constant variety helps, or else he gets bored of the same old meals.

What other simple, tasty, and nutritious foods do you find your little ones enjoy?

Good morning everyone!

My little one loves her fruits, which makes me feel so relieved! Cut-up fruits like pineapple or melatonin-rich berries like blueberrries and raspberries are her favorite snacks. They're naturally sweet and full of good stuff, a great alternative to sugar-loaded treats.

Good morning everyone!

My kiddo's recent favorite is a colorful vegetable quinoa salad, which I call the 'rainbow salad.' It has cooked quinoa, assorted bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and steamed carrots, all cut into tiny pieces. I also sneak in some boiled peas and sometimes corn kernels for an extra pop of color and sweetness. It's a great way to get some healthy grains and veggies into her diet, and the variety of colors makes it fun and appealing.

Another trick up my sleeve is homemade fruit pouches, which she loves because they're easy to suck straight from the spout. I pureé different combinations of fresh fruits with a little bit of Greek yogurt, freeze them in pouch bags, and take them out as needed. They're perfect for snack time or when we're on the go.

Good morning everyone!

My children love Japanese food, which is fortunate because there are many nutritious options! They enjoy diving into homemade sushi made with brown rice, loads of vegetable rolls, and fish. It's a fun meal that they look forward to helping me prepare, too.

While my kids have always loved their vegetables, I've found that adding different dips like hummus or bean-based sauces encourages them to eat even more of them.

Good morning everyone!

My daughter loves her veggies too, praised be the day she doesn't suspect that broccoli is considered a healthy food! I usually steam them with some chicken or pork - another one of her favorites is pumpkin, which she calls her "orange veggies". A win for team health!

I've also puréed fruits and veggies like carrots and apples together and served them in aFeeding kids really is a tricky business but so enjoyable to watch them enjoy their food.

Good morning everyone!

My kiddo loves his veggies too, praise the lord! But getting him to eat fish is another matter - he either wants it deep-fried or not at all. So I compromised by frying up some small whole fish (dory and red snapper work well), flakes the meat off, and mix it into pasta dishes or wrap fillings. He gets the nutrients without knowing, hah!

Good morning everyone!

My son loves his veggies too, especially cauliflower and carrots! I usually steam them with a little bit of chicken stock and seasoning. "Veggieggedon" is what we call it in our household because he thinks it's so funny to dip the warm veggies into hummus and call them "dinosaur food." Kid-friendly names seem to work well with our little ones, don't they?

I also whip up a mean smoothie when I want to sneak in extra nourishment. Banana, milk, honey, and spinach go into the blender, and he can't taste the spinach at all! It's amazing how much food you can hide in a tasty, creamy smoothie.

Good morning everyone!

My daughter loves her some good ol' pasta, but I've found that hiding veggies in the sauce is an easy way to get her to eat her nutrients unknowingly! She's not a fan of chunky bits, so I just whiz up some carrots, broccoli and spinach, and mix it into the tomato sauce. Can't really taste it, but she's getting all the good stuff.

Also, for fussy days, I keep a few organic chicken nuggets in the freezer as a backup. Not the healthiest, but it's better than fast food, and it's a good bribe to get her to finish her veggies! ;P

My kiddo's been into pasta with hidden pureed veggies. A bit sneaky but it works! Also, roasted anything is a huge hit in our house too - those crispy edges are加饭加菜 (an extra dish to go with rice). Win when they think it's a treat!
Hahaha加饭加菜 indeed! Anything that the little ones ask for by name has got to be a parent's ultimate win! Roasted food is like an award-winning dish then. :p I'm glad your kiddos are enjoying the hidden pureed veggies too, it's a great way to get them to eat nutrient-dense foods without a fuss!

• Sad
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu