• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

For getting them to eat their veggies, one thing I find helps is making it into a game or competition. Like "Let's see who finishes their greens first!" or setting a timer and seeing if they can finish before the time runs out. Tot-sized portions also help so they don't feel overwhelmed!

I also trick my kid sometimes by serving roasted broccoli or carrots with a side of their favourite dip – somehow it tastes better that way, haha! And if all else fails, blending the veggies like in a smoothy works too, though it's a bit sneaky imo. It's really hard to get creative with food sometimes man.

For getting them to eat their veggies, one thing I find helps is making it into a game or competition. Like "Let's see who finishes their greens first!" or setting a timer and seeing if they can finish before the time runs out. Tot-sized portions also help so they don't feel overwhelmed!

I also trick my kid sometimes by serving roasted broccoli or carrots with a side of their favourite dip – somehow it tastes better that way, haha! And if all else fails, blending the veggies like in a smoothy works too, though it's a bit sneaky imo. It's really hard to get creative with food sometimes man.
Another thing that could help is rewarding them after they finish their veggies. Like a little toy or a fun activity after! Maybe have them help in the kitchen too so they're more incentivized to eat the food they helped prepare. And yep, sometimes got to resort to the sneaky blended veg smoothie when all else fails haha!

Another thing that could help is rewarding them after they finish their veggies. Like a little toy or a fun activity after! Maybe have them help in the kitchen too so they're more incentivized to eat the food they helped prepare. And yep, sometimes got to resort to the sneaky blended veg smoothie when all else fails haha!
Rewards definitely work, but I find that it may become an expectation after some time, which then backfires when you can't offer a reward every single meal.

Still, it's good to have something fun after they finish their nutritious meals! Having them help out in the kitchen is a great idea to get them more interested in food and also to spend quality time together. You could also try letting them plant and grow their own veggies - they might be more inclined to eat them since they've grown them from scratch!

Rewards definitely work, but I find that it may become an expectation after some time, which then backfires when you can't offer a reward every single meal.

Still, it's good to have something fun after they finish their nutritious meals! Having them help out in the kitchen is a great idea to get them more interested in food and also to spend quality time together. You could also try letting them plant and grow their own veggies - they might be more inclined to eat them since they've grown them from scratch!
I agree that rewards can be a tricky slope! I'd suggest making the reward an occasional surprise, so it remains exciting and not expected. And yes, planting their own veggies is a fun way to get them engaged with nature and food - a great teachable moment too, explaining where our food comes from!

I agree that rewards can be a tricky slope! I'd suggest making the reward an occasional surprise, so it remains exciting and not expected. And yes, planting their own veggies is a fun way to get them engaged with nature and food - a great teachable moment too, explaining where our food comes from!
That's true! Making rewards random and unexpected definitely keeps them special and exciting. And that's a good tip about teaching them about where our food comes from - it's amazing how detached kids can be from the natural world, so that could be an eye-opener for sure!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
That's true! Making rewards random and unexpected definitely keeps them special and exciting. And that's a good tip about teaching them about where our food comes from - it's amazing how detached kids can be from the natural world, so that could be an eye-opener for sure!
You're spot on about detachment from nature - it's quite concerning sometimes! Keeping them engaged with where their food comes from and the natural world can really open up opportunities for other educational experiences too! Random rewards are a great idea to keep them guessing and motivated.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
You're spot on about detachment from nature - it's quite concerning sometimes! Keeping them engaged with where their food comes from and the natural world can really open up opportunities for other educational experiences too! Random rewards are a great idea to keep them guessing and motivated.
Yes, it's kinda worrying how easily kids can become disconnected from nature these days.. We're missing out on a lot of learning and fun! Keeping things exciting with unpredictable rewards is a good way to engage them though, and also teaches them about the surprises life can bring!

Yes, it's kinda worrying how easily kids can become disconnected from nature these days.. We're missing out on a lot of learning and fun! Keeping things exciting with unpredictable rewards is a good way to engage them though, and also teaches them about the surprises life can bring!
There could also be some fun and educational rewards like a trip to the farm or aquarium - extending the learning and keeping it memorable.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Same here, blending works like a charm for fussy eaters! I also 'sneak' some healthy ingredients into her favourite treats. For example, I'll add some mashed up bananas into her chocolate milk or blended berries into her yoghurt. Toddler-friendly meals huh, got to keep thinking and be creative!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I think blending veggies is a genius hack, especially in meat dishes like burgers or meatballs! It's a sneaky but delicious way to get some nutrition into our little ones. Sometimes I also grind up the veggies fine enough and use them as fillers in dishes like fried rice. Works like a charm too!

200.gif

Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu