• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What foods, snacks and meals are keeping your toddlers happy and nourished these days? I feel like my little one is constantly snacking! So curious to hear what's working for others right now. And of course any tricky eaters or nutritional challenges you're navigating too - let's share strategies!

My toddler lives for fruit! She's been into strawberries, blueberries and bananas lately, which I'm happy about because it's all nutritious and easy to prepare (thank goodness!).

Meal-wise, she's been enjoying pasta with tomato sauce and hidden veggies like zucchini, carrots and spinach. Also, anything mini seems to be a hit - mini pancakes, mini burgers, mini pizzas...the cuteness factor seems to make food more appealing!

I also blend fruits and veggies into smoothies when I want to ensure she gets a full range of nutrients. She enjoys helping me prepare it too - pouring in the ingredients and blending is fun for her. I pack in spinach, frozen calcium-rich berries and yoghurt for a quick, nutritious drink.

The big challenge for us is protein. She's not a huge fan of meats - she'll eat chicken nuggets, but that's about it. We're trying different beans and lentils to keep things interesting. I've also sneakily pureed kidney beans into her pasta sauce, which seems to work!

I'd love to hear about other protein-rich foods some of you are doing because that's definitely our biggest hurdle right now!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My toddler lives for fruit! She's been into strawberries, blueberries and bananas lately, which I'm happy about because it's all nutritious and easy to prepare (thank goodness!).

Meal-wise, she's been enjoying pasta with tomato sauce and hidden veggies like zucchini, carrots and spinach. Also, anything mini seems to be a hit - mini pancakes, mini burgers, mini pizzas...the cuteness factor seems to make food more appealing!

I also blend fruits and veggies into smoothies when I want to ensure she gets a full range of nutrients. She enjoys helping me prepare it too - pouring in the ingredients and blending is fun for her. I pack in spinach, frozen calcium-rich berries and yoghurt for a quick, nutritious drink.

The big challenge for us is protein. She's not a huge fan of meats - she'll eat chicken nuggets, but that's about it. We're trying different beans and lentils to keep things interesting. I've also sneakily pureed kidney beans into her pasta sauce, which seems to work!

I'd love to hear about other protein-rich foods some of you are doing because that's definitely our biggest hurdle right now!
Good to know that your toddler is enjoying her fruits and veggies! Mine has a major sweet tooth too and fortunately also loves his vegetables so I don't have to sneak them in.

As for protein, I've been giving my son lots of dairy - yoghurt and cheese are his favorites. Hard-boiled eggs are also a convenient and healthy source of protein that he enjoys, especially as an afternoon snack. For meat, fish is a good alternative we give him at least once or twice a week - salmon fillets are so easy to prepare and packed with nutrients.

I hear good things about using legumes too - chickpeas are another versatile option which can be made into a dip or added to meals. I'm yet to explore this, but I'm keen to try some healthy chickpea cookies or cakes for a protein-rich treat!

Great to hear that your little one is a good eater! Legumes are versatile and nutritious - chickpeas, for instance, are an excellent source of protein and fibre.

I've started pureeing and freezing excess veggies to throw into sauces, curries, and soups when I'm short on time. It's a great way to ensure we get some hidden nutrition in there without the daily prep work! I'll have to try some of those chickpea cookie recipes too; they sound like a yummy and healthy treat option.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Great idea with pureeing and freezing veggies! I might have to steal that one - anything to make life easier. The chickpea cookies are definitely worth trying; my little girl loves them, especially the chocolate chip ones. They're a great snack option too - really filling and a good energy boost for busy toddlers (and parents!).

Good to know they are a hit! Agreed, anything to make life easier without compromising on nutrition is a win-win. My tot devours them too and it's such a nice change from the usual go-to snacks. I'm keen to try the chocolate chip ones now!

Good to know they are a hit! Agreed, anything to make life easier without compromising on nutrition is a win-win. My tot devours them too and it's such a nice change from the usual go-to snacks. I'm keen to try the chocolate chip ones now!
Haha seems like our toddlers have quite the sweet tooth! You'll definitely have to let me know how it goes if you end up making those chocolate chickpea cookies. Have a great weekend! 😊

The chocolate chip flavour hides the healthy ingredients well! Toddlers can be so finicky but having tasty, nutritious snacks helps keep energy levels stable through their busy days. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Reactions: lioness
Haha seems like our toddlers have quite the sweet tooth! You'll definitely have to let me know how it goes if you end up making those chocolate chickpea cookies. Have a great weekend! 😊
Yeah, I'll be sure to whip up some chocolate chip chickpea cookies soon. Hope you enjoy your weekend too and get some well-deserved R&R with your little one! Keep those nutritional hacks coming!

Yeah, I'll be sure to whip up some chocolate chip chickpea cookies soon. Hope you enjoy your weekend too and get some well-deserved R&R with your little one! Keep those nutritional hacks coming!
Enjoy trying out the recipes and hope they become a favorite for your little one's snacking needs! Have a great weekend ahead! 😊
(Pssst, I'm also keen to hear other people's recommendations so I can up my toddler nutrition game!)

I'd love to hear your go-to snacks for toddlers!

It's always handy to have some new recipes up your sleeve and it's great to discover new ideas too.

What's your top pick? 😁

Reactions: eternity
My little one loves these cheese crackers I make - a great source of protein and calcium!

They're super easy to prepare and bake; all you need is two cups of shredded cheddar, ½ cup of butter, and ¾ cup of all-purpose flour (you can also add a pinch of garlic powder or any dry herbs you'd like). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Roll out the dough with a roller until it's about ⅓ inch thick, then use cookie cutters to create fun shapes. Bake for about 12-15 minutes and voilà!

They're perfect for toddler hands too; crispy, salty, and delicious!

My little one loves these cheese crackers I make - a great source of protein and calcium!

They're super easy to prepare and bake; all you need is two cups of shredded cheddar, ½ cup of butter, and ¾ cup of all-purpose flour (you can also add a pinch of garlic powder or any dry herbs you'd like). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Roll out the dough with a roller until it's about ⅓ inch thick, then use cookie cutters to create fun shapes. Bake for about 12-15 minutes and voilà!

They're perfect for toddler hands too; crispy, salty, and delicious!
That sounds like a tasty and easy recipe! I'm definitely giving it a go because my little ones love cheese!

I also often whip up a batch of banana muffins; they're a huge hit with the kids. I just mash up a few bananas, beat an egg and some oil into the mixture, and bake them with some flour, baking powder, and a touch of sugar. They're a good filling snack and great for breakfast on the go too!

That sounds like a tasty and easy recipe! I'm definitely giving it a go because my little ones love cheese!

I also often whip up a batch of banana muffins; they're a huge hit with the kids. I just mash up a few bananas, beat an egg and some oil into the mixture, and bake them with some flour, baking powder, and a touch of sugar. They're a good filling snack and great for breakfast on the go too!
That sounds like a sweet treat that kids wouldn't be able to resist! I'm sure many parents will want to know more about your delicious banana muffins. Do you have a go-to recipe you'd recommend? Any additional ingredients you love adding in?

• Love
Reactions: luciana and nature
I have a few secrets to making these muffins extra tasty!

For my banana muffin recipe, I like to use very ripe bananas, you know the ones with lots of brown spots, because they're sweeter and make the muffins flavourful. I also mash up the bananas with a fork instead of blending them - it gives the muffins a nice texture and makes them feel more homemade!

I sometimes add in chocolate chips which is always a win with the kids. I use dark chocolate chips because that's what I prefer, but any type would work. I also like to add walnuts or pecans for some healthy fats and a nice crunch. It's also fun to experiment with different extracts - vanilla, almond, or even orange extract can add a lovely flavour twist!

These muffins are a great snack option, so easy to make and customize!

Delicious! I love the addition of the extracts - that's a wonderful tip! I often find that adding cinnamon to banana muffins also gives them an extra kick, and a bit of spice never hurts with toddlers! Adding some grated carrot or zucchini is also a great way to sneak in some extra nutrients without altering the taste too much.

What other secrets do you have up your sleeve for tasty toddler treats?

Reactions: cissy and wellness
Delicious! I love the addition of the extracts - that's a wonderful tip! I often find that adding cinnamon to banana muffins also gives them an extra kick, and a bit of spice never hurts with toddlers! Adding some grated carrot or zucchini is also a great way to sneak in some extra nutrients without altering the taste too much.

Cinnamon's a brilliant idea! And I love how you think - sneaky ways to get extra nutrients in are always a win with toddler snacks!

I sometimes make these yummy balloon-shaped rice balls. They're sticky and chewy, perfect for those little hands to grasp and so fun to eat. You just need some rice (any leftover plain rice works!) and a bit of seaweed wrap (the kind you use for sushi). Mix the rice with some soy sauce, shape them into small balls, and cut the seaweed into tiny strips to stick on top. They look adorable and are a tasty snack!

Also, I've found that baking tortilla wraps make excellent crispy chips that are much healthier than the store-bought ones. I just sprinkle some herbs or spices (Italian seasoning is my fave) over the tortillas, cut them into chip shapes, and bake them in the oven for a few minutes.

Both these recipes are quick and fun to prepare, and the kids love helping me make them too!

Oh, I like the idea of adding cinnamon - that's an easy switch-up! And good call on the hidden veggies; I've found that grated carrots work really well too, especially with a cream cheese frosting should you decide to go savoury.

I've also had success with rice puffs treats - they're a guilt-free indulgence which is great for toddlers. You can create different shapes with molds and they're a fun, crispy texture which little ones seem to love!

Carrot and zucchini are fantastic additions! Vegetables can be such a sneaky, nutritious add-in. I also sometimes bake my cheese crackers with hidden spinach, and boosting fibre by adding ground flaxseed never hurt anyone! Toddler snacks often need to fuel the busiest of little people, so anything to keep their energy stable is a winner.

I've also found that rice muffins are an excellent alternative to the traditional flour ones and are a good option for those with gluten sensitivity. They have a naturally sweet and subtle flavour, which pairs well with various additions such as chopped fruits, coconut, or a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Cinnamon's a brilliant idea! And I love how you think - sneaky ways to get extra nutrients in are always a win with toddler snacks!

I sometimes make these yummy balloon-shaped rice balls. They're sticky and chewy, perfect for those little hands to grasp and so fun to eat. You just need some rice (any leftover plain rice works!) and a bit of seaweed wrap (the kind you use for sushi). Mix the rice with some soy sauce, shape them into small balls, and cut the seaweed into tiny strips to stick on top. They look adorable and are a tasty snack!

Also, I've found that baking tortilla wraps make excellent crispy chips that are much healthier than the store-bought ones. I just sprinkle some herbs or spices (Italian seasoning is my fave) over the tortillas, cut them into chip shapes, and bake them in the oven for a few minutes.

Both these recipes are quick and fun to prepare, and the kids love helping me make them too!
The rice balls sound like a fun and healthy snack! Toddler-friendly foods that they can eat with their hands are the best. Messy but worth it!

I haven't thought of making my own tortilla chips. That's an excellent idea because store-bought ones can get greasy. Are they as crispy and delicious as they sound? How long do you bake them for?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu