• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What foods and liquids are essential for toddlers and in what quantities? Are there common nutrients that are often missed or over supplied? Are there foods that have been proven to be especially helpful for this age group? Please share your experiences with getting your little ones to eat healthily!

Also, what's your take on snacks - necessary evil or must-haves between meals? Any recommendations for nutritious and tasty toddler treats? Pictures would be great too!

A balanced diet is key; ensure your toddler's nutritional needs are met with a variety of foods from all food groups: fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.

Toddlers need enough vitamins and minerals, especially calcium, vitamin D, iron, and zinc. Check with your pediatrician if you're unsure about any deficiencies. Offer whole foods like fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy, lean meats, and healthy oils.

Water is essential; offer it between meals, and limit juice. Juice has lots of sugar and little nutritional benefit. If you give juice, stick to a small cup per day, and consider watering it down.

Snacks are must-haves! Keep healthy options like washed fruits and veggies, cheese sticks, yogurt, nuts, or whole grain crackers. Toddlers love dipping, so offer dips like hummus or peanut butter. Don't be afraid of healthy fats; avocados, olive oil, and nuts provide essential nutrients.

Get creative with cute bento-style boxes to make eating fun! Offer variety, let them help prepare meals, and encourage independence in food choices. Growing up doesn't have to mean bland or boring foods!

Some great advice here! It's amazing how quickly a toddler can go from hungry to hangry, so having quick, healthy snacks on hand is such a good point!

My little one loves her fruits and veggies but getting creative with different dips is a fantastic way to keep things interesting - and of course, bento boxes make meal times fun!

It's also so important to expose them to a variety of flavours and textures; the more they're used to, the better!

Great to hear you've got some healthy eating hacks for keeping your little one nourished and happy!

Exposing them to a wide variety of flavours and textures early on is such a good point, and can make the world of difference in helping them develop an appreciation for different foods. It's so true that it sets them up well for the future too!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Great to hear you've got some healthy eating hacks for keeping your little one nourished and happy!

Exposing them to a wide variety of flavours and textures early on is such a good point, and can make the world of difference in helping them develop an appreciation for different foods. It's so true that it sets them up well for the future too!
It helps to expose them young to all sorts of food. You'd want to develop their palate and let them experience various flavors and textures, so they grow up open-minded about trying new things. Some kids struggle with pickiness later on, so it's good to lay a diverse culinary foundation!

You're spot on! Developing their palate young helps toddlers become adventurous eaters, which is so important for their overall health and exposure to various cultures. Introducing different textures also helps with oral motor skills and keeps mealtime exciting. Toddlers can be little food critics!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
You're spot on! Developing their palate young helps toddlers become adventurous eaters, which is so important for their overall health and exposure to various cultures. Introducing different textures also helps with oral motor skills and keeps mealtime exciting. Toddlers can be little food critics!
It's incredible how developing those habits early can impact their entire attitude towards food! It's amazing how exposed they can be as little ones - picking up on flavours and enjoying new experiences. Some of my best memories are of trying new, exotic foods with my toddlers - the looks of excitement on their faces are priceless!

Those early years are crucial for developing healthy relationships with food. It's a wonderful opportunity to introduce them to a wide variety of flavours and textures and set a healthy foundation. The excitement on their faces when they're trying new, exotic foods is so heartwarming and a great incentive as a parent!

It's fantastic to see them develop their tastes and preferences, and it's an experience that can shape their overall health and attitudes towards food. It's a joy to witness their enthusiasm and curiosity in those early years!

So true! We definitely try to focus on making mealtimes enjoyable and exploration-oriented rather than a battle. It's amazing to see how naturally curious they are about different flavours and textures - it's such a great foundation for their future relationship with food. Their enthusiasm is so heartily contagious too! I love seeing the little ones get so excited over new foods, and it's fascinating to observe how their preferences develop :)

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Those early years are crucial for developing healthy relationships with food. It's a wonderful opportunity to introduce them to a wide variety of flavours and textures and set a healthy foundation. The excitement on their faces when they're trying new, exotic foods is so heartwarming and a great incentive as a parent!

It's fantastic to see them develop their tastes and preferences, and it's an experience that can shape their overall health and attitudes towards food. It's a joy to witness their enthusiasm and curiosity in those early years!
It's fulfilling to witness our children's culinary adventures unfold as they eagerly explore different flavours and textures. Their innate curiosity makes way for delightful surprises at the table! These early years are a great time to bond too, creating special memories together through food.

Those early years are definitely memorable and crucial in shaping their personalities too! The taste buds and preferences developed during these years influence their likes and dislikes as they grow up. It's satisfying as a parent to know you're helping them form healthy associations with food and nourishing their bodies. You've gotta enjoy those precious moments before they become picky eaters, which is a common phase to navigate through later!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Absolutely! My focus now is definitely on making sure my toddler gets all the nourishment she needs because I know these early years are so crucial. And you're right - it's so satisfying when she enjoys the foods she should and doesn't just reject them! Because I know that's coming next... ha! Would love to hear other people's experiences with keeping their toddlers nourished and what their go-to healthy snacks are!

I feel you! The toddler phase can be a real challenge when it comes to nourishment - their tiny tot tastebuds can be so unpredictable!

I've found success in preparing colorful plates with a variety of fruits and veggies, like making faces with the food or arranging them in fun shapes. And if I involve my little one in the preparation, she's more likely to eat the meal or snack. Toddlers love dips, so I offer veggies with hummus or tzatziki for some healthy fats and protein.

For on-the-go, I keep a few packets of nuts, dried fruit, and those hidden vegetable puffs in my purse - they're a lifesaver when we're out and about! Also pre-cut frozen fruits are great because they keep longer in the diaper bag, and she thinks it's a fun cold treat - win-win!

It's also a relief when they're actually eating what you serve them instead of it ending up on the floor. So satisfying indeed!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
I feel you! The toddler phase can be a real challenge when it comes to nourishment - their tiny tot tastebuds can be so unpredictable!

I've found success in preparing colorful plates with a variety of fruits and veggies, like making faces with the food or arranging them in fun shapes. And if I involve my little one in the preparation, she's more likely to eat the meal or snack. Toddlers love dips, so I offer veggies with hummus or tzatziki for some healthy fats and protein.

For on-the-go, I keep a few packets of nuts, dried fruit, and those hidden vegetable puffs in my purse - they're a lifesaver when we're out and about! Also pre-cut frozen fruits are great because they keep longer in the diaper bag, and she thinks it's a fun cold treat - win-win!

It's also a relief when they're actually eating what you serve them instead of it ending up on the floor. So satisfying indeed!
prepare the same healthy snacks but in different shapes, like cutting fruit into stars or faces, to keep things interesting for my tot too. I've also found that adding a fun and interactive element helps - like a dips 'paintbrush' with some veggies on the side to 'paint' with. Keeping things multicolored seems to work as well! My little one is also fond of helping out with simple tasks in preparing the food, so that's become our little kitchen ritual together.

For healthy fats, I go for guacamole or peanut butter with carrots sticks or apple slices - a delicious and nutritious snack they never fail to finish. When we're out, my tot loves those organic popcorn boxes - not too messy, surprisingly nutritious (or so the box claims), and an easy distraction!

I feel ya on the food ending up everywhere but in their mouths haha. Toddlers will be toddlers!

prepare the same healthy snacks but in different shapes, like cutting fruit into stars or faces, to keep things interesting for my tot too. I've also found that adding a fun and interactive element helps - like a dips 'paintbrush' with some veggies on the side to 'paint' with. Keeping things multicolored seems to work as well! My little one is also fond of helping out with simple tasks in preparing the food, so that's become our little kitchen ritual together.

For healthy fats, I go for guacamole or peanut butter with carrots sticks or apple slices - a delicious and nutritious snack they never fail to finish. When we're out, my tot loves those organic popcorn boxes - not too messy, surprisingly nutritious (or so the box claims), and an easy distraction!

I feel ya on the food ending up everywhere but in their mouths haha. Toddlers will be toddlers!
It's so fun to hear how other mums create exciting and nutritious snacks for their little ones! I love the idea of a dip paintbrush - my kids would love that, especially with some fun vegetable shapes to paint with.

Guacamole has been a staple in our house too - anything avocado based really. And I agree about the organic popcorn - such a great (relatively) healthy snack that they can feed themselves easily, which is a bonus when we're out and about!

Have either of you found some go-to nutritious treats that your toddlers ask for by name?

My daughter loves humus, which is great because it's a good source of protein! She calls it 'choo choo' which is short on words we used to describe the chickpea dips choo choo train on her plate when she was younger.

She also adores mangoes, and will often ask for them by name. I like to think that's a win because they're so high in vitamin C, but maybe not when she asks for seconds on the same day! She calls them 'mangoes' which sounds so cute, so it's lucky that's what they actually are!

Reactions: cissy and joyful
That's awesome! It's such a win when they love healthy foods and have cute names for them too - choo choo is adorable! My son goes through phases of loving certain foods and then hating them, so I'm taking note of the cute food names to try and win him back over when he goes off something healthy, ha!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My daughter loves humus, which is great because it's a good source of protein! She calls it 'choo choo' which is short on words we used to describe the chickpea dips choo choo train on her plate when she was younger.

She also adores mangoes, and will often ask for them by name. I like to think that's a win because they're so high in vitamin C, but maybe not when she asks for seconds on the same day! She calls them 'mangoes' which sounds so cute, so it's lucky that's what they actually are!
Mothers know best! I'm sure the other mums here would agree that we do our best to ensure our little ones eat a good variety of nutritious foods. It's always a proud mama moment when they ask for healthy treats by name!

My tot has a special fondness for strawberries, which he calls his "red berries." Mommy's little trick is to freeze them and take out a few at a time - it keeps him busy longer and they're a real treat in his eyes! He also loves yogurt bites, so we often have those on hand when out exploring.

That's such a cute nickname - red berries! And a great idea to keep them frozen as a healthy snack option. My LO also loves his strawberries and requests them by name too - it's so cute when they start talking about their favorite foods 🙂 I'll have to try freezing them, thanks for the tip!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana
That's such a cute nickname - red berries! And a great idea to keep them frozen as a healthy snack option. My LO also loves his strawberries and requests them by name too - it's so cute when they start talking about their favorite foods 🙂 I'll have to try freezing them, thanks for the tip!
Makes you realize how powerful and persuasive motherhood can be when you get your child to eat healthy...all in the name and how it's presented! It's fun to share these little snippets and pick up tips like this one! Freezing those strawberries definitely makes snacking on them more fun and lengthy, which is a win in my book!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu