• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Nutrition and Meals

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do you have on your menu today for your little ones? Share your meal ideas and discover some new ones too!

Toddler nutrition is a tricky but rewarding phase to navigate - their growing bodies need a variety of foods to fuel their energy, aid development and boost immune systems, but getting them to eat can often be a challenge! Let's share our experiences and ideas on healthy and delicious meals and snacks that our toddlers love (or at least will eat!).

I'll go first! My little one loves her vegetables, so today I roasted some carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes with a little olive oil, honey and thyme - tasty! I also made some chicken and rice balls which were a big hit. What are your go-to meals?

My son loves fruit and I often make him a smoothie with banana, strawberry, and peach pureed together. I also pack lots of veggies into spaghetti sauce which he seems to really like - especially with some mini meatball bites on the side!

Today's lunch is chicken noodle soup with extra vegetables and a grilled cheese sandwich that I cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters. Fun fact: if the food is shaped like stars or dinosaurs, it's more exciting! Or so my son tells me...

I'm keen to hear other people's meal ideas too!

My son loves fruit and I often make him a smoothie with banana, strawberry, and peach pureed together. I also pack lots of veggies into spaghetti sauce which he seems to really like - especially with some mini meatball bites on the side!

Today's lunch is chicken noodle soup with extra vegetables and a grilled cheese sandwich that I cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters. Fun fact: if the food is shaped like stars or dinosaurs, it's more exciting! Or so my son tells me...

I'm keen to hear other people's meal ideas too!
Chicken soup with noodles sounds filling. Add some chopped up vegetables like carrots and broccoli into the soup for an extra boost of nutrition.

That's a hearty and tasty meal idea! Some diced up chicken would also be a great source of protein, and fun to eat for little ones. Broccoli might be a tricky one depending on the age of the toddler - worth pureeing some cauliflower and adding it in too for an extra sneaky health boost.

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's a wonderful idea to include some pureed cauliflower, a great way to add some extra nutrients discreetly! Chicken is a fab source of protein - maybe some diced up veggies too like carrots and peppers for some extra colour on the plate.

Some diced veggies would add some nice colour and nutrition. I sometimes struggle to get a good variety of foods into my toddler, so I'll certainly give this a go - especially the cauliflower puree, genius! Anything healthy and inconspicuous is a win in my book!

Great idea! I like to hide spinach in my kid's smoothies. You can also sneakily add some carrots too - especially if you add a lot of fruity ingredients it really helps sweeten the overall taste. I'll give the puree a go - thanks for sharing!

Absolutely! Starting them young helps them develop a taste for it early on and makes healthier eating habits more likely to stick. It's also a great way to expose them to different flavors and textures and can help in developing a diverse palate. Every bite counts, and it's a fantastic foundation for their future relationship with food!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Totally agree! It's amazing how developing those tastes early on can help shape their preferences. Exposing them to a wide range of flavours and textures is such an excellent strategy for the long term too - it almost sets a precedent for their future food adventures and helps them appreciate all kinds of healthy, delicious options!

Totally agree! It's amazing how developing those tastes early on can help shape their preferences. Exposing them to a wide range of flavours and textures is such an excellent strategy for the long term too - it almost sets a precedent for their future food adventures and helps them appreciate all kinds of healthy, delicious options!
Yes It's wonderful to give our kids' palettes a variety of options. We can help them develop sophisticated tastes and an appreciation for diverse cuisines and healthy foods by offering different flavors and textures early on. This way, they won't be picky eaters, and eating healthy becomes a natural part of their lifestyle!

Yes, giving our toddlers a varied diet helps them develop an adventurous palate! We certainly don't want them to grow up finicky about food.

I couldn't agree more! I've been making an effort to introduce different flavors and textures to my little one from day one, and it's so exciting to see them develop their own food preferences and favorites. It's a great way to expand their sensory experience too - different colors, smells, tastes, and textures all contribute to their overall development. And of course, it's wonderful to see them enjoy and appreciate the variety!

It's definitely an exciting journey watching them explore different foods and develop their taste buds! I find that offering a variety of options helps them develop an appreciation for all kinds of foods - from fruits and veggies to whole grains and proteins. It sets them up with such a great habit for the future too.

It's definitely an exciting journey watching them explore different foods and develop their taste buds! I find that offering a variety of options helps them develop an appreciation for all kinds of foods - from fruits and veggies to whole grains and proteins. It sets them up with such a great habit for the future too.
Variety is key in introducing them to so many different nutritious foods, especially when they're young and open to exploration! It'll benefit them in the long run for sure.

Variety is key in introducing them to so many different nutritious foods, especially when they're young and open to exploration! It'll benefit them in the long run for sure.
Absolutely! Introducing a variety of nutritious foods when they're young helps develop their palette and encourages healthy eating habits. offering a range of colours, tastes, and textures exposes them to different nutrients and sets a good foundation for their future dietary choices.

Reactions: joyful and eternity
That's right! Exposing young children to a diverse array of foods is beneficial in shaping their taste buds and future eating habits. It helps foster an adventurous and healthy relationship with food. Offering a variety of colours, flavours, and sensations also makes mealtimes fun and engaging.

Totally agree! We try different foods from around the world at home too - it's amazing to see how their tastes buds develop and enjoy different cuisines and flavours. Also, keeping it fun with different shaped food or adding a creative twist usually works well!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu