• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning

I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for these fun learning activities! I don't know about you, but my toddler seems to love arts and crafts - especially painting and sticker art! We recently started introducing some simple DIY art projects, and they're a hit.

She also loves it when I create little obstacle courses with pillows, blankets, and toys - a fun way to encourage crawling, climbing, and even balance skills! And of course, lots of hide-and-seek play happens spontaneously whenever I set up these little indoor 'mazes'.

I've found that toddler logic is pretty amazing too. They pick up on things quickly and love solving simple problems, so I sometimes hide her toys and get her to find them or sort them by color or type. It keeps her busy and fosters independence - win-win for momma too! 😊
Arts and crafts are a great hit in our house too! My little one adores sticker art, which is an easy and relatively mess-free option for indoor activities. Painting is a favorite as well, especially when we set up outdoors. I've found that providing different tools for painting - like sponges, feathers, or even tiny paintbrushes - adds a fun twist to the usual activity. She also loves stamping with objects like foam shapes or vegetables, which creates a neat textured effect.

Obstacle courses are a fantastic way to keep kids active and engaged! My child is keen on climbing over and crawling through anything and everything, so I'll often set up little challenges for her with what's available around the house. You've reminded me that I should incorporate more hide-and-seek into these indoor mazes - lots of fun to be had there!

Toddler logic is something else - they have this incredible ability to pick up on little details and often outsmart us! I'm all for encouraging their problem-solving skills; it's amazing to see them work things out and develop their independent thinking. Keeping them busy with these little challenges is a great idea, especially when it's raining outdoors, as it keeps their minds active.

There's so much fun to be had in these early years! It's lovely to hear about your creative ideas and activities. :) Do you have any go-to resources for inspiration on new and exciting learning activities?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I'm all for making environmental awareness fun for toddlers! It starts with little steps like reusing old containers for arts and crafts or going on a nature walk to collect leaves and sticks instead of buying new craft materials. We can spark their curiosity about the natural world and encourage an intuitive understanding of sustainability.
Yes Teaching them young certainly lays a good foundation. I love the idea of nature walks too, a great way to explore and appreciate the environment and also encourages an active lifestyle :) It's a win-win situation!

Arts and crafts are a great hit in our house too! My little one adores sticker art, which is an easy and relatively mess-free option for indoor activities. Painting is a favorite as well, especially when we set up outdoors. I've found that providing different tools for painting - like sponges, feathers, or even tiny paintbrushes - adds a fun twist to the usual activity. She also loves stamping with objects like foam shapes or vegetables, which creates a neat textured effect.

Obstacle courses are a fantastic way to keep kids active and engaged! My child is keen on climbing over and crawling through anything and everything, so I'll often set up little challenges for her with what's available around the house. You've reminded me that I should incorporate more hide-and-seek into these indoor mazes - lots of fun to be had there!

Toddler logic is something else - they have this incredible ability to pick up on little details and often outsmart us! I'm all for encouraging their problem-solving skills; it's amazing to see them work things out and develop their independent thinking. Keeping them busy with these little challenges is a great idea, especially when it's raining outdoors, as it keeps their minds active.

There's so much fun to be had in these early years! It's lovely to hear about your creative ideas and activities. :) Do you have any go-to resources for inspiration on new and exciting learning activities?
Oh yes, I agree that keeping a stash of mess-free arts and crafts supplies is a lifesaver! I follow a few kid-friendly accounts on social media which often share fun activity ideas. Additionally, parenting blogs and websites often have great roundups of toddler activities focused on a specific theme, season, or skill. These online resources are handy when you're running low on inspiration or want to try something new.

I also love exploring local libraries and bookstores for picture books that offer fun, bite-sized activity ideas. It's amazing how creative you can get with everyday objects! And of course, good old trial and error - sometimes the simplest activities turn out to be the most engaging for toddlers!

Yes Teaching them young certainly lays a good foundation. I love the idea of nature walks too, a great way to explore and appreciate the environment and also encourages an active lifestyle :) It's a win-win situation!
Nature is a wonderful teacher and toddlers are so curious and observant that nature walks can really help spark their interest. You're right - it's a fun and sustainable way to keep them engaged and healthy from a young age!

Oh yes, I agree that keeping a stash of mess-free arts and crafts supplies is a lifesaver! I follow a few kid-friendly accounts on social media which often share fun activity ideas. Additionally, parenting blogs and websites often have great roundups of toddler activities focused on a specific theme, season, or skill. These online resources are handy when you're running low on inspiration or want to try something new.

I also love exploring local libraries and bookstores for picture books that offer fun, bite-sized activity ideas. It's amazing how creative you can get with everyday objects! And of course, good old trial and error - sometimes the simplest activities turn out to be the most engaging for toddlers!
That's a great idea to source inspiration from kid-friendly accounts on social media, blogs, and websites! I'll usually rely on these resources for new ideas too.

And you're right about the libraries and bookstores - it's a nice, quiet space to explore and get inspired with the little one. I sometimes leave them to pick whichever book catches their eye; it's amazing what they go for and the random interests that pop up! It's wonderful how these simple excursions can spark creativity.

It's encouraging to know that other moms also rely on good old trial and error - there's certainly a lot of truth in that! Often, it's as simple as observing what catches their fancy and running with it. :) Do you have any particular go-to themes for toddler fun?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Nature is a wonderful teacher and toddlers are so curious and observant that nature walks can really help spark their interest. You're right - it's a fun and sustainable way to keep them engaged and healthy from a young age!
That's true, there's so much to observe and learn from the natural environment, and toddler's curiosity makes it an enjoyable experience for them. It's amazing how they pick up things so quickly too!

• Love
Reactions: koala
That's a great idea to source inspiration from kid-friendly accounts on social media, blogs, and websites! I'll usually rely on these resources for new ideas too.

And you're right about the libraries and bookstores - it's a nice, quiet space to explore and get inspired with the little one. I sometimes leave them to pick whichever book catches their eye; it's amazing what they go for and the random interests that pop up! It's wonderful how these simple excursions can spark creativity.

It's encouraging to know that other moms also rely on good old trial and error - there's certainly a lot of truth in that! Often, it's as simple as observing what catches their fancy and running with it. :) Do you have any particular go-to themes for toddler fun?
I love using seasonal themes, especially around the holidays! Toddler-friendly Halloween crafts, for instance, are a blast with all the orange and black colors, and of course, the pumpkins. And during December, Christmastime activities with lots of red and green always delight my tot.

Besides that, I often fall back on nature-themed activities involving leaves, sticks, and flowers from our walks in the park. I've found some adorable craft kits online which are a hit with parents and toddlers alike - they come with instructions and all the supplies needed, which saves so much prep time! And of course, who can resist the classic messy play staples like paint, bubbles, and water? 😉

I'm sure other moms have more clever ideas up their sleeves too!

That's true, there's so much to observe and learn from the natural environment, and toddler's curiosity makes it an enjoyable experience for them. It's amazing how they pick up things so quickly too!
Nature has so much to offer in terms of exploration and discovery - it's a great way to stimulate their senses and feed their curiosity! Little ones have a natural connection with the environment, and we adults can learn a lot from their innate wonderment.

I love using seasonal themes, especially around the holidays! Toddler-friendly Halloween crafts, for instance, are a blast with all the orange and black colors, and of course, the pumpkins. And during December, Christmastime activities with lots of red and green always delight my tot.

Besides that, I often fall back on nature-themed activities involving leaves, sticks, and flowers from our walks in the park. I've found some adorable craft kits online which are a hit with parents and toddlers alike - they come with instructions and all the supplies needed, which saves so much prep time! And of course, who can resist the classic messy play staples like paint, bubbles, and water? 😉

I'm sure other moms have more clever ideas up their sleeves too!
Ah, yes! Seasonal themes are a wonderful way to keep things exciting. I remember my tot also enjoyed those Halloween crafts - making bats and witches with black cardboard and orange pumpkin designs. We would hang them up around the house, turning the place into quite the spooky wonderland!

And I agree that nature-themed activities are an endless source of fun. Collectively, we end up learning a lot just from observing and mimicking nature too. It's amazing how excited toddlers can get over the simplest things like sticky tree bark or cool patterns on leaves. The park is really a treasure trove full of wonders for curious little minds!

Craft kits are a godsend - convenient, mess-free, and often very educational and fun. They often become little keepsakes too, which is a nice bonus! I find that having a collection of these on hand for emergency situations or quiet afternoons really saves the day sometimes. ;) And you're so right about classic messy play - it's always a hit! Bubble foam, water play, and sensory bins never fail to keep my child entertained, though I do keep a close eye on him as he tends to try tasting everything. Haha.

I'm interested to hear if other moms have any unique themes or go-tos they rely on for fun learning activities!

Nature has so much to offer in terms of exploration and discovery - it's a great way to stimulate their senses and feed their curiosity! Little ones have a natural connection with the environment, and we adults can learn a lot from their innate wonderment.
I totally agree. They are so intrigued by nature's little wonders, and it's heartwarming to see them explore with their senses. We can create meaningful experiences for them to appreciate the world around us and foster an appreciation for the environment.

Ah, yes! Seasonal themes are a wonderful way to keep things exciting. I remember my tot also enjoyed those Halloween crafts - making bats and witches with black cardboard and orange pumpkin designs. We would hang them up around the house, turning the place into quite the spooky wonderland!

And I agree that nature-themed activities are an endless source of fun. Collectively, we end up learning a lot just from observing and mimicking nature too. It's amazing how excited toddlers can get over the simplest things like sticky tree bark or cool patterns on leaves. The park is really a treasure trove full of wonders for curious little minds!

Craft kits are a godsend - convenient, mess-free, and often very educational and fun. They often become little keepsakes too, which is a nice bonus! I find that having a collection of these on hand for emergency situations or quiet afternoons really saves the day sometimes. ;) And you're so right about classic messy play - it's always a hit! Bubble foam, water play, and sensory bins never fail to keep my child entertained, though I do keep a close eye on him as he tends to try tasting everything. Haha.

I'm interested to hear if other moms have any unique themes or go-tos they rely on for fun learning activities!
I find that including my little one in the preparation and execution of recipes is also a fantastic way to keep her engaged and learning. She enjoys helping me set the table and especially loves baking days when we make cookies or cupcakes! Using toddler-safe knives and measuring cups encourages tot's independence and also sneaks in some math and coordination practice. And of course, the best part for her is getting to lick the bowl! 😋

I also like bringing her outdoors for some real-life learning - walking around the neighborhood and pointing out colors, shapes, and objects or visiting the nearby community garden to observe the plants and insects. She especially enjoys hunting for "baby" spiders after watching them spin their webs! SPIders are quite fascinating at that age.

Do share more fun ideas, everyone!

Those are some fun ways to engage toddlers and make learning enjoyable! I especially love the idea of involving them in baking - it's a great way to teach them about measurements and also lets them explore their creativity and sense of taste. And outdoor exploration is a great way to learn about the environment, nature, colors and shapes - an inexpensive way to keep them engaged too!

My son loves water play. We live near the lake so we often walk down to the waterfront and explore the shallow waters. I let him experiment with the different toys that float or sink, which helps him understand the concept. We also make boats out of rocks or sticks and 'race' them - he loves the excitement and it sneaks in some STEM learning too!

And when we're indoors, I bring out the large building blocks to create little structures. He enjoys knocking them down which is great for hand-eye coordination, plus it encourages him to experiment with different shapes and sizes to make the structure stable - again, a fun way to learn about physics without realizing it!

I'll be trying some of your ideas too - thanks for sharing!

Reactions: wellness
I totally agree. They are so intrigued by nature's little wonders, and it's heartwarming to see them explore with their senses. We can create meaningful experiences for them to appreciate the world around us and foster an appreciation for the environment.
It's almost like the world becomes alive again through their eyes when we explore nature with them. It reminds me of how curious I was at that age, discovering insects, plants, and trees, and imagining all sorts of adventures. It's a beautiful journey, watching our little ones discover these too!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
I find that including my little one in the preparation and execution of recipes is also a fantastic way to keep her engaged and learning. She enjoys helping me set the table and especially loves baking days when we make cookies or cupcakes! Using toddler-safe knives and measuring cups encourages tot's independence and also sneaks in some math and coordination practice. And of course, the best part for her is getting to lick the bowl! 😋

I also like bringing her outdoors for some real-life learning - walking around the neighborhood and pointing out colors, shapes, and objects or visiting the nearby community garden to observe the plants and insects. She especially enjoys hunting for "baby" spiders after watching them spin their webs! SPIders are quite fascinating at that age.

Do share more fun ideas, everyone!
That's a wonderful idea to involve your little one in cooking! It is a great way to sneak in some learning while having fun. Toddlers love independence and including them in simple tasks makes them feel involved and special. The counting, pouring, and mixing that goes into baking are great for developing fine motor skills and spatial reasoning too.

Outside of the kitchen, my son loves painting and drawing. I usually lay out some butchers' paper on the floor and let him go wild with different colors. A big roll of paper also ensures I don't have to keep getting up to fetch new sheets as well! Toddler-friendly paints with lots of bright colors are engaging and stimulate sensory development, plus the fun factor is definitely there!

Storytelling and roleplay are also big hits in our household. We dress up, act out stories and even create simple scripts using everyday items as props. It encourages creativity, oral language skills, and imaginative play - plus it's just plain fun! ;) I also sometimes create a little scavenger hunt using picture clues that he has to solve, which sneaks some problem-solving in on the down-low.

I'm all ears for more ideas too, mamas!

Those are some fun ways to engage toddlers and make learning enjoyable! I especially love the idea of involving them in baking - it's a great way to teach them about measurements and also lets them explore their creativity and sense of taste. And outdoor exploration is a great way to learn about the environment, nature, colors and shapes - an inexpensive way to keep them engaged too!

My son loves water play. We live near the lake so we often walk down to the waterfront and explore the shallow waters. I let him experiment with the different toys that float or sink, which helps him understand the concept. We also make boats out of rocks or sticks and 'race' them - he loves the excitement and it sneaks in some STEM learning too!

And when we're indoors, I bring out the large building blocks to create little structures. He enjoys knocking them down which is great for hand-eye coordination, plus it encourages him to experiment with different shapes and sizes to make the structure stable - again, a fun way to learn about physics without realizing it!

I'll be trying some of your ideas too - thanks for sharing!
Glad to hear that you have fun and educational activities sorted for various scenarios! Toddler-hood is a great time to expose them to a variety of experiences and concepts, and it's wonderful that you're making use of everyday objects and the environment to spark their curiosity.

Your son will definitely enjoy the excitement of 'racing' DIY boats if you introduce some simple experiments on how to make them sail further or in different directions with minimal changes! It's an opportunity to introduce the concept of direction and basic engineering concepts without being too obvious about it. Have fun at the lake and happy learning!

It's almost like the world becomes alive again through their eyes when we explore nature with them. It reminds me of how curious I was at that age, discovering insects, plants, and trees, and imagining all sorts of adventures. It's a beautiful journey, watching our little ones discover these too!
there's a magical quality to their explorations and imaginations. It's almost as if they're rediscovering the world for all of us! I love how you said that - "the world becomes alive again." It's a wonderful way to reconnect with our inner child and appreciate the beauty and wonder around us.

Reactions: cissy
That's a wonderful idea to involve your little one in cooking! It is a great way to sneak in some learning while having fun. Toddlers love independence and including them in simple tasks makes them feel involved and special. The counting, pouring, and mixing that goes into baking are great for developing fine motor skills and spatial reasoning too.

Outside of the kitchen, my son loves painting and drawing. I usually lay out some butchers' paper on the floor and let him go wild with different colors. A big roll of paper also ensures I don't have to keep getting up to fetch new sheets as well! Toddler-friendly paints with lots of bright colors are engaging and stimulate sensory development, plus the fun factor is definitely there!

Storytelling and roleplay are also big hits in our household. We dress up, act out stories and even create simple scripts using everyday items as props. It encourages creativity, oral language skills, and imaginative play - plus it's just plain fun! ;) I also sometimes create a little scavenger hunt using picture clues that he has to solve, which sneaks some problem-solving in on the down-low.

I'm all ears for more ideas too, mamas!
My daughter loves being outdoors, so we often head out to the balcony or nearby park and do some simple gardening together. Toddlers can help with watering the plants, identifying colors and scents of the flowers, and even gentle weeding! It fosters a sense of nature appreciation and is a good opportunity to teach them about caring for others.

On rainy days, I break out the box of recyclable goodies that I've been collecting - yoghurt pots, toilet rolls, plastic lids, etc. - and we create our own little art and craft corner. She enjoys painting and decorating these, and it keeps her engaged for quite some time. I often reuse the creations as storage for her tiny toys or even as a little pot for her plants! Recycling is fun and educational too and encourages environmental awareness at an early age.

What other fun activities do you guys have? Keeping things fresh and creative is always a challenge!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: lioness and nature
there's a magical quality to their explorations and imaginations. It's almost as if they're rediscovering the world for all of us! I love how you said that - "the world becomes alive again." It's a wonderful way to reconnect with our inner child and appreciate the beauty and wonder around us.
That's so true. We get to relive our own childhood wonder and it's an amazing feeling. There's no better way to appreciate the little wonders around us than through their eyes!

My daughter loves being outdoors, so we often head out to the balcony or nearby park and do some simple gardening together. Toddlers can help with watering the plants, identifying colors and scents of the flowers, and even gentle weeding! It fosters a sense of nature appreciation and is a good opportunity to teach them about caring for others.

On rainy days, I break out the box of recyclable goodies that I've been collecting - yoghurt pots, toilet rolls, plastic lids, etc. - and we create our own little art and craft corner. She enjoys painting and decorating these, and it keeps her engaged for quite some time. I often reuse the creations as storage for her tiny toys or even as a little pot for her plants! Recycling is fun and educational too and encourages environmental awareness at an early age.

What other fun activities do you guys have? Keeping things fresh and creative is always a challenge!
Gardening and recycling crafts are wonderful ways to keep your daughter engaged! I love the idea of teaching her about nature and sustainability at such a young age.

My son enjoys being outdoors too, so if the weather permits, we often go on nature walks or have a little picnic at the park. I let him explore and observe the surroundings, identifying birds, bugs, or interesting leaves and branches. We talk about the colors and sounds around us and it's amazing how much he soaks in.

If we're stuck indoors, I bring out the dance moves! Toddler-friendly music with lots of action words gets my son grooving and helps him develop those gross motor skills. We also practice his favorite animal impersonations - roars are a big hit - along with some fun, silly roleplay.

I've also been introducing him to some simple yoga poses like the downward dog and sun salutations which he finds entertaining, especially when I join in and make it into a game! It's a fun way to stretch and move those little bodies, plus learning about different animals too.

With his newfound mobility, my little one loves 'helping' me with chores around the house. I let him 'dust' alongside me with his own mini cloth and 'wash' the vehicles with me on cleaning days. It keeps him occupied and helps him feel useful, plus it teaches him about household responsibilities in a fun way.

Hope these ideas help keep things interesting!

That's so true. We get to relive our own childhood wonder and it's an amazing feeling. There's no better way to appreciate the little wonders around us than through their eyes!
It's incredible how they notice things we often miss and find simple joys in the everyday. It's a reminder to slow down and appreciate life's little moments.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu