• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parents shared ideas for fun educational activities to keep toddlers engaged and entertained. Some favorites include scavenger hunts and sensory bins or boxes. Scavenger hunts help develop motor skills and observation, while sensory play encourages exploration of different textures, smells, and sounds, which helps develop language skills too. Sensory bins can have different themes and be adapted to suit a child's interests; some popular ones mentioned were dinosaur-themed and beach-themed bins. Parents also discussed the benefits of using eco-friendly, natural materials and the joy and wonder expressed by toddlers when encountering new textures, especially sparkly or slimy sensations. Ideas for sensory boxes included feathery boas, slippery fish, squishy balls, and compartments with different treats to offer a variety of fun tactile experiences. The discussion highlights the value of these activities in stimulating toddlers' senses and encouraging their curiosity and independence.

Start a list of ideas for fun, educational activities to keep your little one entertained.

First up:
- Scavenger hunts! They help develop those developing motor skills and their sense of observation. Plus, it's easy to set up and can be adapted to almost any environment - indoors or outdoors! Just make sure the items are age appropriate and easily identifiable to keep the activity enjoyable.

What's your go-to fun learning activity?

Start a list of ideas for fun, educational activities to keep your little one entertained.

First up:
- Scavenger hunts! They help develop those developing motor skills and their sense of observation. Plus, it's easy to set up and can be adapted to almost any environment - indoors or outdoors! Just make sure the items are age appropriate and easily identifiable to keep the activity enjoyable.

What's your go-to fun learning activity?
My toddler loves sensory bins! Filling a bin with rice or beans and hiding small toys for him to dig out is an effective way to keep him engaged. I also like that it's an adaptable activity which can be themed according to his interests.

My toddler loves sensory bins! Filling a bin with rice or beans and hiding small toys for him to dig out is an effective way to keep him engaged. I also like that it's an adaptable activity which can be themed according to his interests.
Sensory bins are great for some hands-on, minds-engaged fun! An easy way to switch things up: use different materials like water, colored noodles, or even cotton balls for a fun texture and visual variation to keep it exciting. You could also add in some drops of essential oils for an olfactory element for older toddlers.

Are there any specific themes you've done that your little one enjoyed?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Sensory bins are great for some hands-on, minds-engaged fun! An easy way to switch things up: use different materials like water, colored noodles, or even cotton balls for a fun texture and visual variation to keep it exciting. You could also add in some drops of essential oils for an olfactory element for older toddlers.

Are there any specific themes you've done that your little one enjoyed?
My son really enjoyed a dinosaur-themed sensory bin I put together. I used kinetic sand, tiny dinosaurs and some fossil toys I got from the dollar store, which he loved digging up! He also enjoyed a beach-themed one with real seashells, sandcastle moulds and blue water beads for an under-the-sea feel. It's amazing how children can be so entertained by simple pleasures.

That's awesome! My daughter loves her sensory box too, especially when I switch it up and change the "theme." She's really into pirates at the moment so I'm thinking of doing a treasure island-themed one next: black jelly beans for the 'island' with gold plastic coins hidden inside some, play hooks, eye patches, and little toy parrots. Maybe some sand or even some brown crafting grains for dirt too. And of course, a few toy dinosaurs always go down well - arrr! :)

That's awesome! My daughter loves her sensory box too, especially when I switch it up and change the "theme." She's really into pirates at the moment so I'm thinking of doing a treasure island-themed one next: black jelly beans for the 'island' with gold plastic coins hidden inside some, play hooks, eye patches, and little toy parrots. Maybe some sand or even some brown crafting grains for dirt too. And of course, a few toy dinosaurs always go down well - arrr! :)
Arrr! A treasure island-themed sensory box sounds like a fun and exciting adventure for your daughter! It's a creative way to keep her engaged and stimulate her senses with different textures.

Arrr! A treasure island-themed sensory box sounds like a fun and exciting adventure for your daughter! It's a creative way to keep her engaged and stimulate her senses with different textures.
Yeah, she loves the element of surprise and the endless creative possibilities it offers too. I'm planning to add some hidden treats / snacks for her to discover too - a yummy reward at the end of her adventure! :p

Yeah, she loves the element of surprise and the endless creative possibilities it offers too. I'm planning to add some hidden treats / snacks for her to discover too - a yummy reward at the end of her adventure! :p
That's a delightful idea! A sensory box can be a great way to expose your daughter to different textures, flavors, and aromas. It encourages imaginative play and keeps the excitement levels high with all the possibilities!

Sensory boxes are a huge help for toddlers to learn and explore. I find that it stimulates their minds, especially when they're curious about what's inside and encourages them to use all five senses too! It's so much fun watching them figure things out.

That's a fantastic idea! My tot is super curious and always wants to explore and touch everything, especially when we are outside. I like how it encourages independence too - them figuring things out on their own, using all their senses is such great learning. Time to put together a sensory box!

Sensory play is amazing for toddlers! It's wonderful to watch them explore and discover new textures, smells and sounds - especially when they discover something new all by themselves. I find adding a little bit of sparkly glitter or coloured sand encourages extra exploration and sense of wonder too. So much fun!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Sensory play is amazing for toddlers! It's wonderful to watch them explore and discover new textures, smells and sounds - especially when they discover something new all by themselves. I find adding a little bit of sparkly glitter or coloured sand encourages extra exploration and sense of wonder too. So much fun!
Yes, it's wonderful to observe toddlers enjoying sensory play and their fascination with different textures, especially when they accidentally stumble upon something exciting! Adding some safe, natural, biodegradable glitter or colored eco-friendly sand is a great idea to make the experience more magical and engaging.

Reactions: joyful
Sparkly things sure are captivating for little ones! Toddlers are so curious and eager to explore, and adding some safe, sensory elements can really enhance their playtime.

I remember my nephew loved exploring different textures when he was around two. He would squeal with delight whenever he came across something new, like a feathery tickling sensation or a slimy, goopy texture. It's amazing to watch them discover the world through their senses isn't it?

I find that providing a variety of sensory experiences also helps to develop their language skills as they try to describe these new sensations. It's a great way to build their vocabulary too, especially when you label the senses and encourage them to do the same!

Do you have any fun sensory activities tot-tested and approved? I'm sure many parents would love to hear about it, as it's not always easy coming up with new ideas to keep tiny toddlers entertained.

Sparkly things sure are captivating for little ones! Toddlers are so curious and eager to explore, and adding some safe, sensory elements can really enhance their playtime.

I remember my nephew loved exploring different textures when he was around two. He would squeal with delight whenever he came across something new, like a feathery tickling sensation or a slimy, goopy texture. It's amazing to watch them discover the world through their senses isn't it?

I find that providing a variety of sensory experiences also helps to develop their language skills as they try to describe these new sensations. It's a great way to build their vocabulary too, especially when you label the senses and encourage them to do the same!

Do you have any fun sensory activities tot-tested and approved? I'm sure many parents would love to hear about it, as it's not always easy coming up with new ideas to keep tiny toddlers entertained.
Oh yes, my toddler loves her special 'exploration box' which has different compartments for all sorts of fun, sensory toys! We have feathery boas, slippery fish, squishy balls and even some sticky playdough hidden inside. It's a simple way to keep her entertained and engaged while I prepare meals or do some work around the house.

I also love including natural elements like shells, pinecones, and smooth stones which she calls 'pretty rocks'! They are a wonderful sensory experience and great for role-play too. My little one loves making 'soups' with these treasures and telling stories about the 'ocean'.

Yes, it's wonderful to observe toddlers enjoying sensory play and their fascination with different textures, especially when they accidentally stumble upon something exciting! Adding some safe, natural, biodegradable glitter or colored eco-friendly sand is a great idea to make the experience more magical and engaging.
That's true, the element of surprise is an added joy for them! The excitement and wonder in their eyes are so precious. I love how you emphasis on using eco-friendly, safe and natural materials - very thoughtful indeed.

Oh yes, my toddler loves her special 'exploration box' which has different compartments for all sorts of fun, sensory toys! We have feathery boas, slippery fish, squishy balls and even some sticky playdough hidden inside. It's a simple way to keep her entertained and engaged while I prepare meals or do some work around the house.

I also love including natural elements like shells, pinecones, and smooth stones which she calls 'pretty rocks'! They are a wonderful sensory experience and great for role-play too. My little one loves making 'soups' with these treasures and telling stories about the 'ocean'.
An exploration box is such a fantastic idea! It's like a treasure trove of fun, especially with all those different textures and shapes to discover. I can see how it would keep young ones occupied while fostering their imagination - a real win-win!

Including natural elements is a lovely way to bring in some outdoor sensory experiences too. There's so much learning through play happening, it's amazing! It's delightful to hear your little one getting so creative with role-play and storytelling.

We've also had success with a simple DIY rice bin with different colored rice and hidden surprises like tiny toys and buttons. My kiddo loved that for some reason, and it kept him busy for hours! He would also go on 'treasure hunts' to find all the hidden gems - great fun, plus it encourages some good ol' fashioned screening and sifting play!

What other fun learning activities have you got up your sleeve? You've certainly sparked my imagination with this sensory play!

That's true, the element of surprise is an added joy for them! The excitement and wonder in their eyes are so precious. I love how you emphasis on using eco-friendly, safe and natural materials - very thoughtful indeed.
Oh yes, it's a great way to teach them about sustainability and respect for the environment from a young age, isn't it? We don't want to dampen their enthusiasm with lectures though! But at the same time, expose them to the concept that there are alternative, safer materials out there.

Oh yes, it's a great way to teach them about sustainability and respect for the environment from a young age, isn't it? We don't want to dampen their enthusiasm with lectures though! But at the same time, expose them to the concept that there are alternative, safer materials out there.
Totally agree! They learn best when it's presented as a fun adventure. We can leave the serious talks for when they're older and more curious ;) In the meantime, making sustainable choices together can be a exciting exploration for them and us too!

An exploration box is such a fantastic idea! It's like a treasure trove of fun, especially with all those different textures and shapes to discover. I can see how it would keep young ones occupied while fostering their imagination - a real win-win!

Including natural elements is a lovely way to bring in some outdoor sensory experiences too. There's so much learning through play happening, it's amazing! It's delightful to hear your little one getting so creative with role-play and storytelling.

We've also had success with a simple DIY rice bin with different colored rice and hidden surprises like tiny toys and buttons. My kiddo loved that for some reason, and it kept him busy for hours! He would also go on 'treasure hunts' to find all the hidden gems - great fun, plus it encourages some good ol' fashioned screening and sifting play!

What other fun learning activities have you got up your sleeve? You've certainly sparked my imagination with this sensory play!
I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for these fun learning activities! I don't know about you, but my toddler seems to love arts and crafts - especially painting and sticker art! We recently started introducing some simple DIY art projects, and they're a hit.

She also loves it when I create little obstacle courses with pillows, blankets, and toys - a fun way to encourage crawling, climbing, and even balance skills! And of course, lots of hide-and-seek play happens spontaneously whenever I set up these little indoor 'mazes'.

I've found that toddler logic is pretty amazing too. They pick up on things quickly and love solving simple problems, so I sometimes hide her toys and get her to find them or sort them by color or type. It keeps her busy and fosters independence - win-win for momma too! 😊

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Totally agree! They learn best when it's presented as a fun adventure. We can leave the serious talks for when they're older and more curious ;) In the meantime, making sustainable choices together can be a exciting exploration for them and us too!
I'm all for making environmental awareness fun for toddlers! It starts with little steps like reusing old containers for arts and crafts or going on a nature walk to collect leaves and sticks instead of buying new craft materials. We can spark their curiosity about the natural world and encourage an intuitive understanding of sustainability.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu