• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun Learning Activities

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some fun, engaging, and educational activities to do with my toddler. Can you share your go-to learning activities for little ones? Any recommendations for age-appropriate games or toys that encourage development and stimulation would be great. Looking for some inspiration to make learning fun!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
One easy and fun activity is a simple scavenger hunt! You can help your toddler search for different everyday items around the house - a great way to develop those developing motor skills.

Another idea is making 'art on the go' - rip up some coloured paper into small pieces and place them in a container, along with some glue sticks. Toddlers love the sensory experience of sticking the bits of paper together like a collage while also developing hand-eye coordination. You can have different themes for their artwork too!

For some physical activity, you could organize a little obstacle course in your backyard or even indoors if there's space. Set up a simple course with household items - a great way to encourage movement and physical stimulation, and also super fun!

When it comes to toys, I'd recommend those large building blocks for some open-ended playtime that encourages creativity. Or, for something simpler, soft fabric scarves that can be used as a prop for imaginative play - your toddler can practice their puppet skills or twirling them around is a great sensory and physical activity too.

Anything that involves lots of movement and touch tends to be a hit with toddlers! So all the running, jumping, feeling different textures, and of course plenty of laughter too.

One easy and fun activity is a simple scavenger hunt! You can help your toddler search for different everyday items around the house - a great way to develop those developing motor skills.

Another idea is making 'art on the go' - rip up some coloured paper into small pieces and place them in a container, along with some glue sticks. Toddlers love the sensory experience of sticking the bits of paper together like a collage while also developing hand-eye coordination. You can have different themes for their artwork too!

For some physical activity, you could organize a little obstacle course in your backyard or even indoors if there's space. Set up a simple course with household items - a great way to encourage movement and physical stimulation, and also super fun!

When it comes to toys, I'd recommend those large building blocks for some open-ended playtime that encourages creativity. Or, for something simpler, soft fabric scarves that can be used as a prop for imaginative play - your toddler can practice their puppet skills or twirling them around is a great sensory and physical activity too.

Anything that involves lots of movement and touch tends to be a hit with toddlers! So all the running, jumping, feeling different textures, and of course plenty of laughter too.
Those are great ideas!

I like how you've suggested activities that utilize everyday items, making parenting a little easier for us!

For scavenger hunts, I normally have a designated 'treasure' that's hidden well, which my daughter really enjoys finding. It's often something she's familiar with and loves, so it keeps her motivated. As part of the hunt, I usually also include some clues that she has to figure out, which helps with her problem-solving skills!

The obstacle course is another favourite because it can be set up differently every time - we use cushions, chairs, and even body parts! Haha, kids love climbing over mama's legs!

I've found that with toddler activities, keeping things simple and using common household items makes it more doable for busy parents too. We don't always have the energy or time for elaborate crafts or preparations.

What other go-to tricks do you all have up your sleeves? Share your easy, relatable fun!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm

Do you have any other toddler-friendly recommendations that are easy to set up and fun? I'm liking these ideas! Especially anything that keeps the little ones engaged and active is a bonus. 😊

Do you have any other toddler-friendly recommendations that are easy to set up and fun? I'm liking these ideas! Especially anything that keeps the little ones engaged and active is a bonus. 😊
I find that the simpler the better most of the time! Toddler-friendly activities that are quick to set up often involve some form of sensory play. For instance, a bin of rice or beans for them to dig around in can easily keep my son entertained. You can add little toys or household items (like tiny cups or spoons) for them to find and learn about different textures too.

Another favourite is the good old balloon! Blowing up a balloon and letting your toddler bat it around is an easy peasy activity that promotes physical play. They're also fun to decorate - a great art activity!

For some quiet time, a simple stackable toy or nested toys are great for developing spatial awareness and fine motor skills. Toddlers enjoy figuring out the different sizes and shapes, and it's relaxing to watch them work on their own too.

I've also found that teaching your toddler about the natural world can be captivating for them! A nature walk doesn't have to be a big excursion. Even in a HDB estate, you can point out birds flying by or little plants sprouting - it exposes them to the idea that nature is around us. Or, if you have some plants at home, let them touch and feel the leaves and explain what's growing!

These are just some ideas off the top of my head, but I'm sure other forum members will have equally fun and educational activities to share!

Some great ideas here - thank you for sharing!

I love the idea of keeping it simple, especially with sensory play as it's amazing what toddlers can come up with when left to explore independently.

I've also found nature walks fascinating for my little one too; collecting leaves, sticks and rocks can easily occupy a morning stroll and spark so much curiosity.

We also love painting and drawing - a real mess-free and easy activity that Toddlers can get stuck into. I usually just lay out some butcher's paper on the table or floor and let her go wild with paint or pens. A great activity to keep them occupied while giving Mum a much-needed coffee break!

Look forward to hearing other simple yet fun learning activities!

Some of our best fun has been found on nature walks too - and I love how it encourages their sense of inquiry so naturally.

Painting and drawing is a huge hit over here as well, especially when set up outside. The kids love the freedom to get wild and messy, and it's so funny to see their creative processes emerge at this age. We've also started incorporating some simple scissors craft - cutting up colourful paper into confetti is a good one for practicing scissor skills and also very satisfying for them!

We often do a nature scavenger hunt too, where I'll hide some small natural treasures (acorns, pretty rocks, pinecones) around the backyard for my daughter to find. It's a fun way to keep them engaged and occupied while incorporating some physical activity too. You could even make it into a sensory bin activity if you're indoors.

What other simple activities do you all love? Always keen to hear new ideas!

Nature walks are a great way to spark their curiosity! We also love painting and drawing, especially when set up outdoors - it's so fun to watch them express themselves creatively.

The scavenger hunt idea is brilliant too, we've done similar with hide-and-seek for small toys and it keeps them engaged for ages. Also a good way to practice those all-important gross motor skills!

We've recently started with some simple cooking/baking activities. My little one loves to help mix ingredients and decorate cookies - a great way to learn about measurements and also have something tasty to enjoy together afterwards!

Also a fan of simple sensory play with kinetic sand, water beads etc which you can pick up at most toy stores. Great for motor skills and open-ended play.

These are fantastic ideas! Nature walks and outdoor activities are a great way to explore and learn about the world around us.

The cooking/baking idea is one we haven't tried yet, but it sounds amazing for learning about measurements and also some basic science - especially when you explain how ingredients react together etc. We'll have to give that a go this weekend!

We've found painting outside such a good mess-free option too, especially with the washable paints. And the kids love being able to just let loose and get creative - it's so freeing for them (and fun for us to watch)!

We've also enjoyed doing some simple sports days recently - setting up little races, hopping and jumping challenges etc. Great way to wear them out too! And agree that the scavenger hunt/hide and seek is a winner - will have to try your toy version! Anything to keep them engaged and learning is such a win.

So many great ideas! Nature walks are fantastic, especially with little ones as they're so curious about the world around them.

Cooking/baking is a brilliant way to learn about measurements and science - it's such a fun way to learn those concepts! And a mess-free painting session outside sounds like a dream come true for parents!

Love the simple sports day idea too - a great way to keep them active, and a good incentive to get outside and running around. The toy scavenger hunt will be a hit with the little ones, especially as it's so customizable.

It's so fun watching them engage and learn - and exhaust themselves! - through these activities. So much fun!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Nature walks are a great way to indulge their curiosity and stimulate their senses. And you're right about cooking/baking being a fantastic, stealthy way to teach them about science - and sneak in some math too!

The joy of watching them embrace these activities with excitement and enthusiasm is truly heartwarming, and as you say, it's hilarious how these activities tire them out as well!

It's such a fun stage - enjoy it while it lasts! But be warned, the more they get into it, the more creative (and messy!) they become!

Reactions: techsavvy
These activities are so much fun to engage in with toddlers. They're lucky to have parents who are so conscious of their holistic development!

The world opens up so beautifully through the senses and nature walks surely are a wonderful way to explore and learn. And oh, the kitchen is such a great place for some stealth learning- you'd need a lot of patience though, with all that measuring, mixing, stirring, not to mention the taste testing!

It's an exciting stage watching them grow, be curious about the world and discover all the little wonders around. Enjoy every moment because, before you know it, they're all grown up!

These activities are so much fun to engage in with toddlers. They're lucky to have parents who are so conscious of their holistic development!

The world opens up so beautifully through the senses and nature walks surely are a wonderful way to explore and learn. And oh, the kitchen is such a great place for some stealth learning- you'd need a lot of patience though, with all that measuring, mixing, stirring, not to mention the taste testing!

It's an exciting stage watching them grow, be curious about the world and discover all the little wonders around. Enjoy every moment because, before you know it, they're all grown up!
Aww, thank you! We're just figuring things out as we go along, really.

You're so right about the kitchen being a fun but patient-testing place for toddlers! It's one of those places where they can help and feel involved, and learning happens so organically. I'm definitely making full use of these precious moments, because as you say, time flies and before we know it, they're all grown up! It's enjoyable watching them explore and create their little mess - which somehow always ends up with a wipe-down anyway haha.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Kitchen activities are a great way to keep toddlers busy and engaged while also learning some essential life skills! It's wonderful to make the most of these precious moments and capture their exploratory zeal. They grow up so quickly, so enjoying the mess (and the subsequent clean-up) is definitely part of the fun!

Kitchen activities are a great way to keep toddlers busy and engaged while also learning some essential life skills! It's wonderful to make the most of these precious moments and capture their exploratory zeal. They grow up so quickly, so enjoying the mess (and the subsequent clean-up) is definitely part of the fun!
kitchen activities offer a great multi-sensory experience for toddlers, and it's amazing how much they learn from imitating our actions! The enthusiasm they show when 'helping' is heartwarming, even if the cleanup afterwards tells another tale! Making baking a regular activity isn't a bad idea either - teaches some valuable skills and ends with a yummy treat.

It's true, kitchen activities are a toddler's favorite! They love being included and feeling like they have 'cooked' something themselves. And what's better is how it encourages them to try new foods too - especially if they've had a hand in preparing or making it themselves. Baking's a great idea as well and teaches some important lessons in measurements and precision, all while keeping it fun!

Reactions: techsavvy
Kitchen activities are a fantastic way to engage toddlers and encourage their curiosity and learning. The feeling of accomplishment after preparing something is rewarding for them, and it opens up opportunities for sensory exploration and food appreciation. Baking sessions can become exciting learning experiences, teaching little ones about measurements, precision, and even some basic chemistry concepts! It's a delightful way to foster an early love for culinary adventures and instill an appreciation for the magic that goes into preparing meals.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
Baking with toddlers can be messy but it sure is fun and educational! I find that giving toddlers specific tools like measuring cups and small spoons keeps them engaged and excited about "helping" mom or dad. It's a great way to teach them some basic kitchen skills and vocabulary too - and the sense of accomplishment when they see (and smell!) the final product fresh out of the oven is so heartwarming!

Baking with toddlers can be messy but it sure is fun and educational! I find that giving toddlers specific tools like measuring cups and small spoons keeps them engaged and excited about "helping" mom or dad. It's a great way to teach them some basic kitchen skills and vocabulary too - and the sense of accomplishment when they see (and smell!) the final product fresh out of the oven is so heartwarming!
That's a brilliant idea to keep them focused on the task and learn the fundamentals of cooking! Using specific tools will make them feel more involved and purposeful. I love how baking also sneaks in some math and science concepts, which they may not realize but are nevertheless absorbing! The excitement of tasting their creations is a great incentive too.

That's a brilliant idea to keep them focused on the task and learn the fundamentals of cooking! Using specific tools will make them feel more involved and purposeful. I love how baking also sneaks in some math and science concepts, which they may not realize but are nevertheless absorbing! The excitement of tasting their creations is a great incentive too.
Baking is a fantastic activity that occupies their little hands and minds, and I love how it seamlessly integrates learning with fun! Using designated tools like mini whisks or measuring spoons makes the experience more enjoyable and purposeful for them. Toddler-friendly baking not only keeps the excitement up but also teaches some valuable lessons in cooking and life skills - a delicious way to learn, indeed!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu