• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Fun and Learning

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted to start a thread focused on fun, engaging activities for toddlers that also sneak in some learning! I'm always looking for new ideas that are age-appropriate and fun for this stage of life - what's working for you?

For instance, my little one is really into "helper" mode right now, so I've been trying to incorporate more tasks where she can assist me, like dusting or setting the table. It makes her feel big and independent, plus it teaches her new skills! Seeing shapes and colors in the world around her is also a current favorite, so I'm planning on making a simple scavenger hunt for our next walk outside.

What toddler-approved learning activities have you been doing lately?

Reactions: wellness
That's a great idea to involve your little one as a "helper"! It's such a fun age when they're so eager to assist and feel so proud of their contributions, no matter how small.

My son is also really into helping lately, and he loves it when I give him tasks like dusting or pouring cereal for breakfast. I also got him one of those kid-safe hammers and a little wooden bench with nails, and he "helps" me fix things around the house - it's so cute and keeps him engaged!

He also loves being outside, so we do a lot of our learning there. A scavenger hunt is a fantastic idea! You could even make it more exciting by making it into a game where they have to find items of a certain color or shape first, then run back to you with their findings for a fun little physical and mental workout!

Another thing that's been a hit lately is "painting" the fence with water. I just give him an old brush and a bucket of water, and he goes wild "painting" the fence while I prepare lunch. It keeps him entertained and cool on hot days, and it's so simple to set up!

I'm keen to hear other ideas too - it's such a fun stage!

Those are some fantastic ideas you have there! I especially love the water painting activity; simple, mess-free, and keeps them entertained whilst keeping cool - a win-win!

My little one also loves helping, especially with watering plants or 'washing' the cars/bikes/scooters - it feels like such a special job for them! And they love being outside too, so it's a great way to keep them occupied and happy.

A scavenger hunt around the garden or even inside the house could be fun too, especially with some colourful objects added in. I might suggest that he 'washes' his toys too - he can give his favourite action figures a bath!

It's such an enjoyable stage, and it's so heartwarming seeing them proud of their little accomplishments.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and koala
I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for these ideas! It's amazing how something as simple as a bucket of water can keep them entertained and cool during the warmer months.

Scavenger hunts are also a fantastic idea to keep their little minds busy, especially if you're inside or want an activity that doesn't involve too much physical exertion - which is a win when the parents are trying to keep cool too!

The toddler years are a joy; seeing them proud of their accomplishments and learning new skills is such a wonderful thing to experience.

Reactions: chickadee
Water play and scavenger hunts are great fun, simple, and engaging activities for toddlers! It's incredible how they get so immersed and proud of their little victories. Their curious minds always keep us on our toes thinking of new ideas to keep them occupied, but it's such a delightful phase to navigate and enjoy!

It's a wonderful stage where everything is new and exciting - the simple pleasures are truly rewarding! And you're right about their curious minds, always fun to plan activities keeping them engaged and learning. What other toddler hacks do you have up your sleeve for this stage? Water beads perhaps or even simple sensory play with bubbles? I feel like every day's a little adventure preparing something new.

Water beads have been a huge hit with my toddler! I bought a bunch of those tiny colorful ones from the dollar store, and they're great for some serious sensory play. I supervise closely, of course, but she loves playing with them in her little bucket, filling it up and pouring them out. We also do bubble stomp dances - where we blow bubbles outside on the lawn and then stomp and pop them with our feet. It's a bubble dance party! Simple, cheap fun!

Water beads have been a huge hit with my toddler! I bought a bunch of those tiny colorful ones from the dollar store, and they're great for some serious sensory play. I supervise closely, of course, but she loves playing with them in her little bucket, filling it up and pouring them out. We also do bubble stomp dances - where we blow bubbles outside on the lawn and then stomp and pop them with our feet. It's a bubble dance party! Simple, cheap fun!
Sensory play is undoubtedly one of the best ways to keep tiny tots entertained and engaged. Water beads are fantastic for this; they're so vibrant and engaging, plus their squishy texture is fun for little fingers to explore.

I've not tried bubble stomp dances yet, but it sounds like a fabulous idea! Anything that gets their grooves on and keeps them moving is a win in my book. It's adorable watching them find joy in the simplest things, like popping bubbles under the sky.

Sensory play is undoubtedly one of the best ways to keep tiny tots entertained and engaged. Water beads are fantastic for this; they're so vibrant and engaging, plus their squishy texture is fun for little fingers to explore.

I've not tried bubble stomp dances yet, but it sounds like a fabulous idea! Anything that gets their grooves on and keeps them moving is a win in my book. It's adorable watching them find joy in the simplest things, like popping bubbles under the sky.
The outdoors definitely offers a plethora of exciting experiences for sensory play. Have you tried using natural materials such as leaves, twigs, or rocks? Collecting treasures like colorful leaves or interestingly shaped rocks during walks and then doing some sensory play with them could be a fun nature activity. You could also try a muddy senses exploration by letting them play with mud between their fingers or making mud pies! It's always fun to observe their reactions and see the world through their curious eyes.

Reactions: joyful and koala

It's a reminder of how interesting simple can be; makes me think of bubble wraps haha! Toddlers do bring out the kid in us all over again 😊.

The outdoors definitely offers a plethora of exciting experiences for sensory play. Have you tried using natural materials such as leaves, twigs, or rocks? Collecting treasures like colorful leaves or interestingly shaped rocks during walks and then doing some sensory play with them could be a fun nature activity. You could also try a muddy senses exploration by letting them play with mud between their fingers or making mud pies! It's always fun to observe their reactions and see the world through their curious eyes.
The outdoors is a treasure trove of exciting possibilities for little explorers! My son loves collecting sticks and throwing them into puddles or a stream - which I admit can be a little messy, but it's all part of the fun!

We also sometimes go on "Nature Scavenger Hunts" where we look for pinecones, interestingly shaped logs, or feathery treats left by the birds. It encourages him to observe nature carefully and listen to some extent too as he tries to locate these items.

Mud play is definitely a senses explosion and great fun, especially when they realize they can get messier the longer they play! Though the cleanup operation afterward might be a bit daunting for some parents - it's ultimately worth it for their sensory development and the hours of fun!

It's a reminder of how interesting simple can be; makes me think of bubble wraps haha! Toddlers do bring out the kid in us all over again 😊.
It's true - the simplest things often provide the most entertainment! Bubble wrap is a fantastic idea, something so satisfying about that pop-pop sound. And yes, this stage definitely brings out the inner child - it's quite a special feeling seeing the world through their eyes, isn't it? The excitement over simple pleasures like bubbles or playing in the mud brings a new depth of joy!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Totally agree - bubble wrap is a win for a sensory experience! And it's so fun to see the world light up through their eyes and experience that unjaded excitement at every new adventure. That joy and wonder are infectious!

That unjaded excitement is a beautiful sight and so much fun to behold. Bubble wrap is a massive win for sensory and also a great fine motor skill practice too - especially when they try blow up each little bubble! That sense of wonder and discovery is so special to witness.

It really is wonderful. We love watching them experience textures and sensations, it's a very cool phase to enjoy alongside them! Popping bubble wrap is a favourite activity around here these days too, such simple things keeping them entertained haha. Anything with lots of bubbles seems to be a hit lately! What else have people got going on that's fun for little ones?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Bubble play is fantastic! We also love frozen ice activities - especially with frozen berries for a bit of added colour and sensory fun. We've been making our own 'paint' by adding food colouring to some of the melted ice too, which is a hit with our little one who loves getting messy!

Reactions: cissy
Bubble play is fantastic! We also love frozen ice activities - especially with frozen berries for a bit of added colour and sensory fun. We've been making our own 'paint' by adding food colouring to some of the melted ice too, which is a hit with our little one who loves getting messy!
My daughter has been into painting lately too! We found these adorable paint brushes designed for toddlers, which have been a godsend because they're essentially foolproof. They're short and stubby, so it's hard for them to poke themselves in the eye with it, plus it's near impossible to dunk the whole brush in the paint, so no unnecessary mess!

She also loves blowing coloured streamers at the moment. You know those crepe paper rolls you can get from the art supply store? Cut them into small circles, blow them like party streamers, and voila: instant fun! It's such simple but cute indoor play fun that even the smallest toddlers can enjoy.

That's a great idea with the paint brushes! And I love the streamer blowing, will have to give that a go - my little one goes through phases of being really into painting then suddenly losing interest, so it's good to have some variety. We also recently discovered these cool colour-changing markers. They're supposed to work only on special colour-change paper but if you're careful (or don't mind the mess), they create beautiful effects on plain white paper too and my toddler loves watching the colours appear!

Those colour-changing markers sound awesome! What a fantastic way to keep little ones engaged and excited about art, and teaching them about colours too - I'll have to track some down! Anything to keep the creativity flowing is a win in my books, especially if it's an easy clean up as well haha.

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Those colour-changing markers sound awesome! What a fantastic way to keep little ones engaged and excited about art, and teaching them about colours too - I'll have to track some down! Anything to keep the creativity flowing is a win in my books, especially if it's an easy clean up as well haha.
I've found that toddler-friendly paint sets with their own special paper are a real win for easy mess-free painting sessions. The paints are typically contained in little plastic tubes, so you don't end up with the full palette chaos, and the papers have a nice heavy stock that can handle some tot-handedness without tearing. Toddler arts and crafts - especially the no prep/low mess variety - really are a God send!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu