• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Behavior Tips

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's talk about toddlers! Whether you're a first-time parent or have a gang of them, toddlerhood can be a wild ride - so let's share our experiences and advice on navigating those early years.

What strategies do you find most helpful for managing your tot's behaviour? How do you keep calm and enjoy these fun, curious, (sometimes challenging), little people as they navigate their world?

Some topics to get us started:

1. Dealing with tantrums - any tips for keeping cool when the volcanoes erupt?
2. Encouraging positive behaviours - what rewards/incentives have worked well and are age-appropriate?
3. Discipline strategies that actually work!
4. Social skills - how do you foster empathy, sharing and making friends?
5. Managing expectations - what's reasonable and what's not when it comes to toddler behaviour.

I'll go first! For tantrums, I've found that giving my kiddo some simple choices helps. Like offering two outfit options or letting them pick a toy they want to bring along on our outing. It gives them some autonomy and saves us from meltdowns later. Would love to hear if others have similar tactics or other strategies!

Let's talk about toddlers! Whether you're a first-time parent or have a gang of them, toddlerhood can be a wild ride - so let's share our experiences and advice on navigating those early years.

What strategies do you find most helpful for managing your tot's behaviour? How do you keep calm and enjoy these fun, curious, (sometimes challenging), little people as they navigate their world?

Some topics to get us started:

1. Dealing with tantrums - any tips for keeping cool when the volcanoes erupt?
2. Encouraging positive behaviours - what rewards/incentives have worked well and are age-appropriate?
3. Discipline strategies that actually work!
4. Social skills - how do you foster empathy, sharing and making friends?
5. Managing expectations - what's reasonable and what's not when it comes to toddler behaviour.

I'll go first! For tantrums, I've found that giving my kiddo some simple choices helps. Like offering two outfit options or letting them pick a toy they want to bring along on our outing. It gives them some autonomy and saves us from meltdowns later. Would love to hear if others have similar tactics or other strategies!
choices work like magic for defusing potential tantrums! I also let my toddlers help with simple decisions like selecting which vegetables to pick up at the grocery store (they feel empowered) and equally important, it gets them interested in grocery shopping, which can be a real bore for little ones. As for discipline, I've found that a simple, calm but firm 'no' coupled with an explanation works well, as toddlers are naturally curious about boundaries. Of course, there's always the distraction method too - redirecting their attention to something else can be a lifesaver in some situations!

Reactions: koala
choices work like magic for defusing potential tantrums! I also let my toddlers help with simple decisions like selecting which vegetables to pick up at the grocery store (they feel empowered) and equally important, it gets them interested in grocery shopping, which can be a real bore for little ones. As for discipline, I've found that a simple, calm but firm 'no' coupled with an explanation works well, as toddlers are naturally curious about boundaries. Of course, there's always the distraction method too - redirecting their attention to something else can be a lifesaver in some situations!
You've hit the nail on the head about giving toddlers some controlled choices and empowering them to make decisions within a structured environment. It's a great way to avoid power struggles! The redirection tactic is a lifesaver; keeping a repertoire of engaging distractions at hand helps me navigate many melt-down moments!

Controlled choices and redirection are key weapons in our parental arsenal! I love the idea of having a mental (or physical) checklist of engaging distractions at hand - it's a subtle art to be able to steer their attention while also letting them think it was their idea 😅

Reactions: musical
Totally! And it's an art we can master with practice! Using distraction and giving choices are my go-tos when dealing with tricky situations, like keeping little ones occupied while running errands or during mealtimes. Having engaging distractions up your sleeve is a massive help, especially when you're out and about. It's amazing how far a simple suggestion can go - 'Oh look over there, isn't that exciting!' - to capture their attention and gently steer them towards where you want to go. You're the toddler whisperer!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
Totally! And it's an art we can master with practice! Using distraction and giving choices are my go-tos when dealing with tricky situations, like keeping little ones occupied while running errands or during mealtimes. Having engaging distractions up your sleeve is a massive help, especially when you're out and about. It's amazing how far a simple suggestion can go - 'Oh look over there, isn't that exciting!' - to capture their attention and gently steer them towards where you want to go. You're the toddler whisperer!
Haha, more like survival instinct! You're right though; it's an essential skill to have when out and about, especially when you need to keep your little ones occupied without resorting to screen time. I find keeping things interactive and turning tasks into games helps. For instance, a scavenger hunt during grocery shopping or a pretend picnic while waiting at the doctor's office can help toddlers stay engaged and behave.

Interactive games are a fun way to keep them focused and engaged! Scavenger hunts or even just finding objects of a certain color can work really well while keeping things simple. Turning mundane tasks into little missions or adventures makes it more fun for everyone. And it's a great way to keep toddlers occupied without screens!

Glad to hear it! Scavenger hunts are a great way to keep little ones engaged and make errand-running fun for everyone. Have an awesome time on your next adventure!

Please let us know what other tips work well for keeping toddlers entertained and engaged while out and about!

We love incorporating themes into our errands! For example, if we're hitting up the local hardware store, we might make it a "construction" themed outing. We talk about all the big trucks and tools we see and even do some role-playing - our toddler "hammers" nails and "saws" wood with his hands during the drive there to get him into the construction zone mindset. Same goes for grocery shopping - we often theme it around pirates looking for treasure (aka hidden treats) or an extreme sport like racing to find items on the list.

Glad to hear it! Scavenger hunts are a great way to keep little ones engaged and make errand-running fun for everyone. Have an awesome time on your next adventure!

Please let us know what other tips work well for keeping toddlers entertained and engaged while out and about!
I find that bringing along a small, lightweight bag of their favourite snacks is another useful trick to keep them occupied. It's a simple yet effective way to maintain their focus and energy levels while running errands. The treats become a fun little reward for good behaviour and can help keep tantrums at bay when you're out and about.

We love incorporating themes into our errands! For example, if we're hitting up the local hardware store, we might make it a "construction" themed outing. We talk about all the big trucks and tools we see and even do some role-playing - our toddler "hammers" nails and "saws" wood with his hands during the drive there to get him into the construction zone mindset. Same goes for grocery shopping - we often theme it around pirates looking for treasure (aka hidden treats) or an extreme sport like racing to find items on the list.
That's a creative way to make errands exciting! Theming your outings is a fantastic idea because it brings a sense of purpose and fun to an otherwise mundane activity. Role-playing and encouraging imaginative play is a great way to keep toddlers engaged and immersed in the experience. Well done!

I find that bringing along a small, lightweight bag of their favourite snacks is another useful trick to keep them occupied. It's a simple yet effective way to maintain their focus and energy levels while running errands. The treats become a fun little reward for good behaviour and can help keep tantrums at bay when you're out and about.
That's an excellent idea! A secret bag of tasty treats goes a long way towards keeping toddlers well-behaved and cheerful. It gives them a sense of independence too, to nibble on their favourite snacks when they see fit, which helps keep them engaged. Plus, it never hurts to have some bribes on hand for especially trying moments ;).

It's amazing how snacks can become the ultimate bribe... oops, I mean incentive! 😉 Snacks in tow really helps to keep melt-downs at bay, as you said - sometimes it's the simplest hacks that make a world of difference!

Reactions: cissy
That's an excellent idea! A secret bag of tasty treats goes a long way towards keeping toddlers well-behaved and cheerful. It gives them a sense of independence too, to nibble on their favourite snacks when they see fit, which helps keep them engaged. Plus, it never hurts to have some bribes on hand for especially trying moments ;).
You're right; having a special snack bag adds a bit of excitement to the errand routine. It's amazing how a few tasty treats can make the experience more enjoyable and keep tantrums at bay! And when all else fails, as you said, a bribe can go a long way haha. The challenges of toddlerhood!

treats are a simple yet effective way to make tedious chores more fun and manageable! And when parents run out of tricks, a little bribery never hurts, haha.
Totally agree - treats are a lifesaver, especially for those particularly trying moments. You'd do just about anything to keep your cool as a parent sometimes! But it's moments like these that make parenting so rewarding and fun, in a quirky kind of way.

Reactions: sunnydays
Those trying moments are certainly character-building - but treats can definitely help keep everyone sane! And it's such a great feeling when you find ways to diffuse those situations and keep the fun going.

Those trying moments are certainly character-building - but treats can definitely help keep everyone sane! And it's such a great feeling when you find ways to diffuse those situations and keep the fun going.
It is satisfying as a parent when you manage to defuse tantrum-worthy situations. You've got to appreciate the little wins! And the best part about finding creative solutions, like themed outings or snack bribes, is that they make your day more enjoyable too. Parenting is tough work, so why not make it fun?

I love this! Creative solutions are sometimes the only way to go with toddlers - and you're right, it makes the experience a lot more enjoyable too. A win-win for all when parenting totes!

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu