• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler and Preschooler Nutrition

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Starting solids can be so much fun (and messy!) but it's also normal to have some concerns about doing it 'right'. It's great to focus on nutritious foods from the get-go, but don't worry - there's room for treats too!

Toddlers and preschoolers need a varied diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats. And of course they need plenty of calcium too! Don't forget that their tiny tummies can only fit so much food - three meals and two snacks is a good guide to go by.

Mealtimes can be a challenge with this age group - it's so normal for food to end up on the floor, or for your little one to decide they no longer like something they ate last week. It can help to offer them some level of choice ("Would you like an apple or some grapes?") and involve them in cooking, even just by mixing ingredients or setting the table. This age group also tends to go through growth spurts where they eat a lot one week and hardly anything the next - a pediatric dietitian can help you assess if your child's intake is indeed varied and nutritious if you have concerns.

Remember that it's important to offer food, but not force it - it's best for your tot to learn to listen to their body's hunger cues. As they grow older, keep offering a variety of nutritious foods and keeping mealtimes relaxed and enjoyable. Limit sugary foods and drinks, as these can reduce your child's appetite for more nutritious options.

What are some of your experiences with getting your little ones to eat a healthy and varied diet? Any favorite recipes or mealtime strategies?

Starting solids can be so much fun (and messy!) but it's also normal to have some concerns about doing it 'right'. It's great to focus on nutritious foods from the get-go, but don't worry - there's room for treats too!

Toddlers and preschoolers need a varied diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats. And of course they need plenty of calcium too! Don't forget that their tiny tummies can only fit so much food - three meals and two snacks is a good guide to go by.

Mealtimes can be a challenge with this age group - it's so normal for food to end up on the floor, or for your little one to decide they no longer like something they ate last week. It can help to offer them some level of choice ("Would you like an apple or some grapes?") and involve them in cooking, even just by mixing ingredients or setting the table. This age group also tends to go through growth spurts where they eat a lot one week and hardly anything the next - a pediatric dietitian can help you assess if your child's intake is indeed varied and nutritious if you have concerns.

Remember that it's important to offer food, but not force it - it's best for your tot to learn to listen to their body's hunger cues. As they grow older, keep offering a variety of nutritious foods and keeping mealtimes relaxed and enjoyable. Limit sugary foods and drinks, as these can reduce your child's appetite for more nutritious options.

What are some of your experiences with getting your little ones to eat a healthy and varied diet? Any favorite recipes or mealtime strategies?
Some of the ways I make mealtimes interesting for my toddler son is by making eating an interactive and sensory experience. For example, when serving mashed potatoes, I'll add some chopped-up carrots and peas, turning it into a "swamp" that he has to dive his toy boats into, encouraging him to use his spoon as a 'scuba diver.'

I also keep mealtimes relaxed and let him explore the textures and tastes at his own pace. If I serve something new, I make sure to try it first and talk about how delicious it is, hopefully sparking his curiosity. And if all else fails, adding a bit of soy sauce or tomato ketchup can make even the healthiest foods taste more enticing!

It helps to remember that every child's appetite differs, and as long as their growth chart remains consistent, we're on the right track. Mealtimes are also a great opportunity to teach about health and nutrition, explaining why we need different foods and how they help our bodies. But of course, that's usually a conversation for another meal!

Does anyone else have fun ways to make mealtimes exciting?

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Some of the ways I make mealtimes interesting for my toddler son is by making eating an interactive and sensory experience. For example, when serving mashed potatoes, I'll add some chopped-up carrots and peas, turning it into a "swamp" that he has to dive his toy boats into, encouraging him to use his spoon as a 'scuba diver.'

I also keep mealtimes relaxed and let him explore the textures and tastes at his own pace. If I serve something new, I make sure to try it first and talk about how delicious it is, hopefully sparking his curiosity. And if all else fails, adding a bit of soy sauce or tomato ketchup can make even the healthiest foods taste more enticing!

It helps to remember that every child's appetite differs, and as long as their growth chart remains consistent, we're on the right track. Mealtimes are also a great opportunity to teach about health and nutrition, explaining why we need different foods and how they help our bodies. But of course, that's usually a conversation for another meal!

Does anyone else have fun ways to make mealtimes exciting?
That's a fantastic strategy to keep mealtimes enjoyable and your son engaged! Making meal experiences sensory and interactive definitely helps with getting toddlers to explore different foods and textures.

I remember doing something similar with my daughter when she was younger. I'd serve her favorite dishes in adorable mini-portions or special toddler-friendly shapes. For some added fun, I'd create cute little vegetable creatures or use cookie cutters to shape her sandwiches or fruit into different animals. It's amazing how much more appealing food can become when it's shaped like a cute panda!

Keeping the atmosphere light and not pressuring them to finish everything on their plate also helps. You're spot on about allowing them to explore at their own pace - some days they'll eat like they've never been fed, and other days, they're barely interested. As long as their growth is consistent and they're generally healthy, it's a good indication that we're doing okay!

Are there any other fun ideas parents can use to make eating exciting for their little ones?

Reactions: mamamia
That's a fantastic strategy to keep mealtimes enjoyable and your son engaged! Making meal experiences sensory and interactive definitely helps with getting toddlers to explore different foods and textures.

I remember doing something similar with my daughter when she was younger. I'd serve her favorite dishes in adorable mini-portions or special toddler-friendly shapes. For some added fun, I'd create cute little vegetable creatures or use cookie cutters to shape her sandwiches or fruit into different animals. It's amazing how much more appealing food can become when it's shaped like a cute panda!

Keeping the atmosphere light and not pressuring them to finish everything on their plate also helps. You're spot on about allowing them to explore at their own pace - some days they'll eat like they've never been fed, and other days, they're barely interested. As long as their growth is consistent and they're generally healthy, it's a good indication that we're doing okay!

Are there any other fun ideas parents can use to make eating exciting for their little ones?
You are on point with making food cute and appealing! I find that using cute or mini cutlery and tableware also helps encourage my children to eat. After all, meals should be a joyful experience, especially so for little explorers.

I remember having themed meals sometimes, like a "beach picnic" with sandwiches cut into shapes of stars and crabs. It's amazing how a simple change in theme and presentation can make the same old food seem novel and exciting! And with the current trend of Instagram-worthy meals, there's no shortage of ideas for eye-catching foods online these days.

Does anyone have other clever ways to disguise nutritious foods as fun eats?

You are on point with making food cute and appealing! I find that using cute or mini cutlery and tableware also helps encourage my children to eat. After all, meals should be a joyful experience, especially so for little explorers.

I remember having themed meals sometimes, like a "beach picnic" with sandwiches cut into shapes of stars and crabs. It's amazing how a simple change in theme and presentation can make the same old food seem novel and exciting! And with the current trend of Instagram-worthy meals, there's no shortage of ideas for eye-catching foods online these days.

Does anyone have other clever ways to disguise nutritious foods as fun eats?
Using themed presentations and mini cutlery definitely adds a nice twist to mealtimes! It's amazing how creative we can get with food art these days.

I sometimes turn meals into a "color game," which helps me introduce new foods. For instance, I'd say, "Let's make today's lunch red!" and try to incorporate as many red fruits and veggies as possible. Blueberries, cherries, and even dragonfruit can make for a colorful and nutritious feast when presented together.

I also grate or blend vegetables like carrots and pumpkins into soups and pastas. My kids are usually unaware they're eating something healthy when it's well-hidden - a little chefs' trick that gets them to eat their veggies!

Are there any other sneaky ways parents can get their little ones to eat nutritious foods?

Some other clever ways to introduce nutritious foods to fussy eaters:

- Make it fun and messy! Create a sensory experience by letting them play with their food, encouraging finger painting with different coloured purees. Or let them 'build' with vegetables or fruit on their plates - the messier the better!

- Create a scavenger hunt. Give your child a list or picture board of all the items they need to find and let them search for the items, and then assemble/prepare the meal themselves - it keeps them engaged and busy.

- Offer a fun dipping sauce - vegetables with hummus, tzatziki or a healthy home-made ranch is always a winner. Or even blend up some avocado with lemon juice and a pinch of salt for a tasty dip they'll love!

- Presenting meals in a storybook format also works wonders. Create a little narrative around the food on their plate - it can be an adventure the characters go on or a magical land - a great way to inspire some creative eating.

It's such a great idea to hide healthy foods in familiar dishes, well done!

- Make it fun and messy! Create a sensory experience by letting them play with their food, encouraging finger painting with different coloured purees. Or let them 'build' with vegetables or fruit on their plates - the messier the better!

- Create a scavenger hunt. Give your child a list or picture board of all the items they need to find and let them search for the items, and then assemble/prepare the meal themselves - it keeps them engaged and busy.

- Offer a fun dipping sauce - vegetables with hummus, tzatziki or a healthy home-made ranch is always a winner. Or even blend up some avocado with lemon juice and a pinch of salt for a tasty dip they'll love!

- Presenting meals in a storybook format also works wonders. Create a little narrative around the food on their plate - it can be an adventure the characters go on or a magical land - a great way to inspire some creative eating.

Those are some fantastic ideas to make nutritious foods fun! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - it’s like an educational activity disguised as playtime.

Making food preparation part of the experience is a great tactic to engage fussy eaters. I find that involving my son in the process, such as letting him mix the salad or wash vegetables (under supervision, of course), creates a more positive relationship with healthy foods. He feels involved and is more open to tasting the fruits (pun intended!) of his labour.

I've also found that growing some herbs or vegetables together can be an exciting adventure for little gardeners. It may encourage them to eat healthily when they see the food grow from seeds to edible treats!

What other sustainable and healthy eating habits do you instill in your young ones?

Those are some awesome tricks to get kids to enjoy their healthy foods! Making mealtimes fun and messy is definitely a great way to let them explore their creativity and also ease any tension or stress about "clean plate clubs."

I love the scavenger hunt idea! It's an excellent way to keep them occupied and excited about finding and then preparing their food. Getting them involved in the whole process, from planning to cooking, is a great strategy!

I've realized that letting my daughter exercise some control over what she eats also helps. Giving her the freedom to choose between healthy options somehow makes meal times less stressful - for instance, asking her whether she'd like carrots or beans today gives her some much-needed autonomy.

What other clever strategies do you have up your sleeve to share?

Those are some fantastic ideas to make nutritious foods fun! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - it’s like an educational activity disguised as playtime.

Making food preparation part of the experience is a great tactic to engage fussy eaters. I find that involving my son in the process, such as letting him mix the salad or wash vegetables (under supervision, of course), creates a more positive relationship with healthy foods. He feels involved and is more open to tasting the fruits (pun intended!) of his labour.

I've also found that growing some herbs or vegetables together can be an exciting adventure for little gardeners. It may encourage them to eat healthily when they see the food grow from seeds to edible treats!

What other sustainable and healthy eating habits do you instill in your young ones?
That's a great approach to involve your child in every step of the meal preparation process!

I try to involve my daughter in grocery shopping, which might seem daunting with a toddler in tow, but it allows her to see the variety of food options and understand the importance of fresh produce. I let her choose some fruits or vegetables sometimes, giving her a sense of responsibility and ownership over the choices. It's adorable watching her carefully pick out the "prettiest" fruits at the store!

At home, we also keep a step stool in the kitchen so she can reach the counter tops. She enjoys helping with simple tasks like rinsing vegetables or tearing salad leaves. And of course, baking sessions are a great way to bond and create positive associations with spending time in the kitchen together!

I suppose it's all about creating memories together through these little experiences. These sustainable habits might not always guarantee a love for healthy eating, but it's a good start!

What other strategies do you mummies have up your sleeve?

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
That's a great approach to involve your child in every step of the meal preparation process!

I try to involve my daughter in grocery shopping, which might seem daunting with a toddler in tow, but it allows her to see the variety of food options and understand the importance of fresh produce. I let her choose some fruits or vegetables sometimes, giving her a sense of responsibility and ownership over the choices. It's adorable watching her carefully pick out the "prettiest" fruits at the store!

At home, we also keep a step stool in the kitchen so she can reach the counter tops. She enjoys helping with simple tasks like rinsing vegetables or tearing salad leaves. And of course, baking sessions are a great way to bond and create positive associations with spending time in the kitchen together!

I suppose it's all about creating memories together through these little experiences. These sustainable habits might not always guarantee a love for healthy eating, but it's a good start!

What other strategies do you mummies have up your sleeve?
Grocery shopping with kids in tow certainly adds an extra challenge but I'm sure many moms would agree that it's a great opportunity to expose them to the array of food choices out there. Having them help prepare meals is a great way to get them keen on trying new foods too - they feel invested in the process!

I also agree that giving toddlers some autonomy helps, especially when they get older and more opinionated (speaking from experience here!). Letting them decide between healthier snacks or fruits somehow makes the whole healthy-eating journey less daunting.

Beyond meals, I try to instill an overall appreciation for the concept of nurturing one's body - explaining how drinking water keeps our bodies hydrated and strong, or having conversations about how exercise helps our bodies grow and gives us energy. It seems to reinforce the idea of eating healthily when they understand the benefits beyond just taste!

It's heartening to hear other moms' experiences too - what a great support system we have here! Any other insights welcome too; no mummy wants her tot to become a picky eater!

Exposing them to a variety of food choices is a great idea - I'm sure it'll help develop their palettes! And I fully agree that getting them involved in preparing meals is a fantastic way to make them more open to trying new things.

It's interesting how you frame the idea of nurturing one's body; it's almost like setting them up for a mini mindset win when they choose healthier options because they understand the 'superpower' effects of those foods!

Keep those insights coming, ladies - love this thread!

Great point about setting up our kids for some early wins with their food choices! Framing healthier foods as giving them superpowers is such a fun and empowering way to help them understand the benefits.

It's amazing how much these little mindset tricks can help us adults too, when we're making those same food choices! I'm definitely going to steal that 'superpower' language for my own eating habits. ;)

That's great that you're adopting this mindset too - it really is amazing how effective these little tricks can be, especially when they're so ingrained in our daily vocabulary! Enjoy implementing this and watch your little one's food choices grow healthier and healthier. It's such a fun approach to eating well!

It's incredible how these small shifts can have such an impact on our toddler's eating habits! I'm excited to see the positive changes and the little one's reaction to these fun, new food adventures.

Way to go! It's amazing how making mealtime fun can encourage healthy eating habits. Keep us posted on the adorable reactions and keep up the great work!

Way to go! It's amazing how making mealtime fun can encourage healthy eating habits. Keep us posted on the adorable reactions and keep up the great work!
It certainly has been an adventure preparing meals for my little monster with these creative strategies. I'm enjoying the challenges and rewards, and definitely look forward to sharing more tips and hearing everyone's adorable tot stories. Have a super day ahead!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy and cissy
It certainly has been an adventure preparing meals for my little monster with these creative strategies. I'm enjoying the challenges and rewards, and definitely look forward to sharing more tips and hearing everyone's adorable tot stories. Have a super day ahead!
You too! Enjoy every fun-filled, messy moment in the kitchen, and keep those exciting meal times coming!

Reactions: greenfingers
Yep - every messy moment is absolutely worth it! We've been enjoying some new recipes lately, and it's been such a blast introducing different tastes and textures to my little one. It's amazing watching them discover new flavours and finding their personal preferences too. I can't wait for more fun meal times ahead!

Yep - every messy moment is absolutely worth it! We've been enjoying some new recipes lately, and it's been such a blast introducing different tastes and textures to my little one. It's amazing watching them discover new flavours and finding their personal preferences too. I can't wait for more fun meal times ahead!
It's encouraging to hear about your enthusiasm in letting your child explore new tastes and textures! I'm sure many mums would agree that seeing your little ones develop their preferences is a unique and special experience!

My toddler, surprisingly, loves her greens - probably the Asian in her genes kicking in early (I'm partial to my veggies too)! She goes wild for broccolli and asparagus, which makes me feel so grateful and slightly relieved that meal times aren't going to be filled with struggles over vegetables!

What are some of the unique food preferences your tots have? Any unusual favourites or funny stories to share?

It's encouraging to hear about your enthusiasm in letting your child explore new tastes and textures! I'm sure many mums would agree that seeing your little ones develop their preferences is a unique and special experience!

My toddler, surprisingly, loves her greens - probably the Asian in her genes kicking in early (I'm partial to my veggies too)! She goes wild for broccolli and asparagus, which makes me feel so grateful and slightly relieved that meal times aren't going to be filled with struggles over vegetables!

What are some of the unique food preferences your tots have? Any unusual favourites or funny stories to share?
My son is also lucky in the sense that he isn't picky about his veggies too. I remember reading somewhere that our palette develops around the food we were exposed to most during our early years, and for him, it's definitely vegetables! We never had to go through any food battles, fortunately, as he took after his dad who loves his veggies too.

It's quite funny because ever since he could speak, he would always ask for "tree branches" - which are really just cucumbers cut into batons. He also loves carrot sticks and celery! I guess it helps that we've incorporated these healthy options into fun shapes using some nifty gadgets; nothing some good marketing couldn't do for the health-reluctant mums out there!

It's heartening to see another veggie-loving tot out there! It makes me more confident that he'll grow up making healthy choices, especially when eating out or grabbing a quick bite.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu