• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Toddler Activities

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Looking for new ways to keep your little one entertained? We're here to share ideas for fun, engaging toddler activities! Share your favorite go-to's and let's fill this thread with an arsenal of ideas for parents!

My first idea: create a homemade "busy board." These sensory boards are great for keeping toddlers entertained and can be customized with everyday objects you have around the house. You can use buckles, zippers, locks, buttons, and velcro for your toddler to play with and stay occupied.

Reactions: mamamia
A great idea! I made a busy board recently using a wooden board as a base. I added different kinds of straps and buckles from old bags, some buttons and snaps from an old shirt, and even a small mirror. It's a fantastic way to repurpose old items and create an engaging activity for my little one!

What other items do you recommend including on a busy board? I'm looking for more ideas to make this an even bigger hit with my toddler!

Some other additions could be: zippers, Velcro, different types of locks/latches, and maybe a small toy or two. I've also seen people include things like measuring tape, little pockets, and even a small chalkboard! The possibilities are endless.

My child loved exploring all the different textures and mechanisms - it's such a neat way to encourage their sense of touch and motor skills. Plus, it's so exciting for them to figure out how each thing opens or closes!

Some other additions could be: zippers, Velcro, different types of locks/latches, and maybe a small toy or two. I've also seen people include things like measuring tape, little pockets, and even a small chalkboard! The possibilities are endless.

My child loved exploring all the different textures and mechanisms - it's such a neat way to encourage their sense of touch and motor skills. Plus, it's so exciting for them to figure out how each thing opens or closes!
That's a fantastic suggestion! I love how busy boards encourage toddler's natural curiosity and exploration. The variety keeps their short attention spans engaged.

Are there any DIY toddler toys you've created that were a big hit with your little ones? I'm always keen to try new ideas!

I made a simple but engaging sensory board for my toddler. It had zippers, buckles, snaps, velcro, and ties. She loved exploring all the different textures and mechanisms! I also hung some of her favorite picture books on a low rope, so she could easily grab one and "read" them by herself. Basically, a homemade busy board but with more variety!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
That's such a cool idea! I love how you incorporated different sensory experiences - it's like a mini adventure for their curious little hands 😊 My tot is going to love this, especially with the added books element - her favourite thing is "reading" them all by herself these days!

That's such a cool idea! I love how you incorporated different sensory experiences - it's like a mini adventure for their curious little hands 😊 My tot is going to love this, especially with the added books element - her favourite thing is "reading" them all by herself these days!
It's heartening to know that other parents find these simple DIY activities useful too! Sometimes, we get so caught up in work and daily routines that it's easy to forget how such little things can bring so much joy and learning benefits to toddlers. (Especially during this phase where their senses are like sponges soaking up new knowledge!)

Do you have photos of your homemade busy boards? I realize that visualizing what these look like will make it easier for other parents to attempt them too!

It's heartening to know that other parents find these simple DIY activities useful too! Sometimes, we get so caught up in work and daily routines that it's easy to forget how such little things can bring so much joy and learning benefits to toddlers. (Especially during this phase where their senses are like sponges soaking up new knowledge!)

Do you have photos of your homemade busy boards? I realize that visualizing what these look like will make it easier for other parents to attempt them too!
I do have some on my phone! It's basically a rectangular wooden board as the base. I drilled holes and attached various objects like colorful snaps, buttons, and buckles. There's even a tiny little mirror stuck on one corner which was a big hit! Unfortunately, I ran out of craft supplies before I could add more variety but it was still a huge success with my kiddo.

I do have some on my phone! It's basically a rectangular wooden board as the base. I drilled holes and attached various objects like colorful snaps, buttons, and buckles. There's even a tiny little mirror stuck on one corner which was a big hit! Unfortunately, I ran out of craft supplies before I could add more variety but it was still a huge success with my kiddo.
I didn't take step-by-step photos during the crafting process, but there are so many online resources these days - Pinterest and Instagram have tons of inspiring ideas and some tutorials too! It's really encouraging to see so many parents embracing sustainable, eco-friendly, and budget-friendly ways to entertain our tots!

I didn't take step-by-step photos during the crafting process, but there are so many online resources these days - Pinterest and Instagram have tons of inspiring ideas and some tutorials too! It's really encouraging to see so many parents embracing sustainable, eco-friendly, and budget-friendly ways to entertain our tots!
There sure is a whole community of creative mamas out there, it's amazing to get inspiration from their posts! I've seen busy boards turned into quiet books - with adorable handmade felt characters and scenarios. But that's probably a bit advanced for most of us! haha.

I know, it's incredible to see what other parents come up with! I've seen some awesome quiet books too and have always admired the craftsmanship - but like you said, maybe a little advanced for me haha! I think I'll stick to some simpler ideas and graduate from there ;).

I know, it's incredible to see what other parents come up with! I've seen some awesome quiet books too and have always admired the craftsmanship - but like you said, maybe a little advanced for me haha! I think I'll stick to some simpler ideas and graduate from there ;).
You never know. With practice and time, your crafting skills could level up! There's always room for improvement and nothing stops us from learning. Have a great evening, and keep those creative juices flowing!

Reactions: greenfingers
Time sure flies when we're having fun crafting! Keep those activities coming, and before you know it, you'll be a crafting pro! Have a wonderful day!

Time sure flies when we're having fun crafting! Keep those activities coming, and before you know it, you'll be a crafting pro! Have a wonderful day!
Hmph. Pro crafters probably won't agree with you that their work is "simple" - if anything, it's probably not their forte too, to begin with, since most of us have zero art skills or patience for intricate details. But kudos to them for setting the bar so high! have a good day yourself, and keep those toddler activities coming!

Haha, thanks and same to you! Crafting definitely helps me de-stress and brings out my creative juices too. Have a awesome weekend ahead! 😀😎
Have a fantastic weekend filled with fun and laughter! Hope your little one enjoys the activities you've got planned!

Hmph. Pro crafters probably won't agree with you that their work is "simple" - if anything, it's probably not their forte too, to begin with, since most of us have zero art skills or patience for intricate details. But kudos to them for setting the bar so high! have a good day yourself, and keep those toddler activities coming!
Crafting doesn't come naturally to me either; I often struggle with execution despite having lots of ideas! So I totally feel you on that front. Hope you have a lovely weekend ahead!

Same to you, and thank you for the crafty inspiration! It's nice to hear I'm not alone in the struggle haha. Hoping for some successful painting or glueing or something this weekend :)

You're very welcome! Yeah, it's reassuring to know we're not alone in the toddler activity struggle - hopefully this weekend will bring some artsy success! I have high hopes for some messy play...

Messy play is the best! My little one loves getting hands-on with painting and craft. We set up a big plastic tablecloth on the floor first, which helps contain the mess a bit and makes it feel more manageable - would definitely recommend this method! Then I usually get everything ready beforehand so I can relax and join in because it's so fun (when you're prepared, rather than scrambling to find supplies!) Enjoy your artsy weekend fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu