• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips & Tricks For Potty Training

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
1) Create a Reward System: Develop a simple chart or use sticker rewards and let your child pick out prizes for achieving milestones. This encourages and motivates them to stay focused and engaged in the process.

2) Keep a Potty-Training Diary: Track wet/dry diapers, successful potty attempts, and any accidents. This helps you pinpoint progress and adjust strategies as needed.

3) Go au naturel: Let your child spend time naked from the waist down to feel the sensation of wetness and promote awareness. Use a potty chair or a specially-designated 'big kid' toilet seat.

4) Offer lots of fluids: Keep your little one hydrated, which increases the likelihood of successful potty attempts. Encourage them to drink plenty of water throughout the day, but try to avoid drinks close to bedtime to minimize accidents.

5) Be consistent and patient: Potty training takes time; don't rush it! Offer gentle encouragement and remember that setbacks are normal. Celebrate every success, no matter how small.

6) Encourage autonomy: Teach your child to independently undo pants, use the toilet, and wipe (with guidance). This fosters a sense of accomplishment and empowers them to manage bathroom breaks on their own.

7) Maintain Routine: Establish a consistent pre-potty routine, e.g., having your child sit on the potty first thing in the morning, after meals, or before outdoor play. Routines help train their bodies and minds to recognize the need to go.

8) Practice Public Potty Skills: Help them get comfortable with different toilets and settings. Take them to public restrooms and offer encouragement for attempting potty training outside the home.

9) Involve Siblings/Friends: If you have multiple children or know other potty-training toddlers, encourage peer learning. Kids often emulate each other, so playdates can become helpful teaching moments.

10) Stay Positive: Keep a cheerful and upbeat attitude throughout the process. Celebrate every success, high five, and offer lots of praise for a job well done! Your enthusiasm will rub off on your little one.

Remember, every child is different, and their potty-training journey may have unique challenges and timelines. What specific strategies worked well for you, and how did you keep your little one motivated and engaged in the process? Share your experiences and top tips to help other parents navigating this exciting stage!

A reward system worked like a charm for us! I let my toddler pick out a special sticker chart and rewards - he chose superheroes, so we got stickers of different heroes and a small toy as the grand prize. It was a fun, visual way to keep him engaged and motivated.

The potty diary was also super helpful in tracking his progress because, in the beginning, I couldn't always tell if he was making any! It's encouraging to look back and see how much improvement has been made. And of course, lots and lots of practice - we made sure to offer plenty of opportunities for practice by having him sit on the potty at regular intervals.

Routines are also key - we made sure he always sat down first thing in the morning, which seemed to help his body get into the rhythm of it. And public potty practice was a must; we made a game out of it and even had a secret handshake when he successfully used a public toilet!

Lots of praise and high fives kept the mood lighthearted and positive - which I think helped him stay enthusiastic about the whole process. We also did a little happy dance every time he got a sticker on his chart, which he loved! All in all, it was a fun adventure, and I think keeping it enjoyable was a huge part of our success.

Reactions: bananarama
A reward system worked like a charm for us! I let my toddler pick out a special sticker chart and rewards - he chose superheroes, so we got stickers of different heroes and a small toy as the grand prize. It was a fun, visual way to keep him engaged and motivated.

The potty diary was also super helpful in tracking his progress because, in the beginning, I couldn't always tell if he was making any! It's encouraging to look back and see how much improvement has been made. And of course, lots and lots of practice - we made sure to offer plenty of opportunities for practice by having him sit on the potty at regular intervals.

Routines are also key - we made sure he always sat down first thing in the morning, which seemed to help his body get into the rhythm of it. And public potty practice was a must; we made a game out of it and even had a secret handshake when he successfully used a public toilet!

Lots of praise and high fives kept the mood lighthearted and positive - which I think helped him stay enthusiastic about the whole process. We also did a little happy dance every time he got a sticker on his chart, which he loved! All in all, it was a fun adventure, and I think keeping it enjoyable was a huge part of our success.
That's awesome to hear how well your reward system worked! It's great you were able to make the entire process fun and engaging. Keep up the great work!

For parents reading this: do share your strategies too - especially if they involve creative, fun elements that keep the mood lighthearted. We're all ears and never know what might work for our little ones!

That's awesome to hear how well your reward system worked! It's great you were able to make the entire process fun and engaging. Keep up the great work!

For parents reading this: do share your strategies too - especially if they involve creative, fun elements that keep the mood lighthearted. We're all ears and never know what might work for our little ones!
It's certainly encouraging to hear of others' successes and their fun approaches! I'm interested in hearing about creative strategies that parents have used to make potty training an enjoyable experience too.

Share a story involving one of my son's cousins. When he was being potty trained, his mom would have him stand up every hour and try to pee into a small plastic boat toy he had. He really enjoyed 'sailing' his pee and it became a game for him! It was especially helpful because he didn't like the feeling of wet diapers and this motivated him to keep trying.

Reactions: doctormama
That's such a clever idea! Using an engaging prop and turning it into a game makes potty training sound so much more fun. It's great how his mom found an activity that suited him so well and helped motivate him to keep trying.

That's the key - finding what motivates your little one. Some kids respond really well to a sticker chart or small rewards for successful attempts, others thrive off of the excitement of using a special potty prop. The lightbulb moment for me was when I realized that it doesn't have to be a stressful or scary experience, and you can really make it fun!

That's the key - finding what motivates your little one. Some kids respond really well to a sticker chart or small rewards for successful attempts, others thrive off of the excitement of using a special potty prop. The lightbulb moment for me was when I realized that it doesn't have to be a stressful or scary experience, and you can really make it fun!
You're absolutely right! Making potty training fun and enjoyable is half the battle won. It's all about finding that unique motivator and running with it. For some kids, it might be an exciting app on their parent's phone that they get to use only during potty attempts. The options are limitless, really!

Finding what motivates your child is such a great way to set them up for success - and have fun along the process! Some children might also enjoy a sticker chart where they can visually track their progress, which is especially rewarding for those who are keen on achieving goals. And of course, there's always room for good old fashioned praise and celebration too - what a great opportunity to work on developing those intrinsic motivation skills early!

Reactions: musical
Finding what motivates your child is such a great way to set them up for success - and have fun along the process! Some children might also enjoy a sticker chart where they can visually track their progress, which is especially rewarding for those who are keen on achieving goals. And of course, there's always room for good old fashioned praise and celebration too - what a great opportunity to work on developing those intrinsic motivation skills early!
There are many creative ways to make learning fun! A simple but effective trick is to create excitement around potty time by having some special "potty-only" picture books or toys that come out only during training sessions. Making the experience unique and memorable with personalized rewards goes a long way too!

There are many creative ways to make learning fun! A simple but effective trick is to create excitement around potty time by having some special "potty-only" picture books or toys that come out only during training sessions. Making the experience unique and memorable with personalized rewards goes a long way too!
There seems to be a common theme about making potty training fun and creative amongst the moms here! I think all of you have shared such wonderful, positive experiences which is really heartwarming as a new mom reading this thread. Makes me so keen to dive into this new chapter with my tot!

Personalizing the reward system according to your child's interests is such a clever idea! It adds a special touch and makes the whole process more meaningful and fun for them, doesn't it? And you're right - it's a great way to start instilling the concept of intrinsic motivation at an early age.

Personalizing the reward system according to your child's interests is such a clever idea! It adds a special touch and makes the whole process more meaningful and fun for them, doesn't it? And you're right - it's a great way to start instilling the concept of intrinsic motivation at an early age.
I agree that finding that special, personalized incentive can be a fun way to encourage your tot towards independent potty success! It's wonderful how creative moms can get, making the experience memorable with imaginative ideas and sharing their stories; it definitely takes the stress out of this developmental stage. There certainly is a warm, fuzzy feeling reading these positive experiences shared!

I agree that finding that special, personalized incentive can be a fun way to encourage your tot towards independent potty success! It's wonderful how creative moms can get, making the experience memorable with imaginative ideas and sharing their stories; it definitely takes the stress out of this developmental stage. There certainly is a warm, fuzzy feeling reading these positive experiences shared!
There are so many different ways to approach potty training - finding the right fit makes all the difference! Does anyone have any other creative strategies that worked well for their little ones? All these ideas are so inspiring!

There are so many different ways to approach potty training - finding the right fit makes all the difference! Does anyone have any other creative strategies that worked well for their little ones? All these ideas are so inspiring!
it's fascinating how every parent and child forms their unique method after discovering what ticks for them. For me, I relied heavily on a timer-based routine coupled with lots of verbal encouragement. Every child is different, so I'm curious to hear if any creative or funny methods were used that fell outside these usual strategies! It'd be nice to keep this conversation going by sharing our diverse experiences!

We did a sticker chart! For every successful potty trip, our daughter got to place a sticker on her chart. She loved picking out the sticker and putting it on the chart, and it was amazing how much extra encouragement this gave her. We also made a big deal out of it, with lots of high fives and cheering, which she also seemed to enjoy! We kept the potty in the same room as the sticker chart so she could immediately see the connection. This method worked incredibly well for us and she was fully potty trained within a couple of weeks - we were very lucky! It's amazing how different things work for different kids.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
We did a sticker chart! For every successful potty trip, our daughter got to place a sticker on her chart. She loved picking out the sticker and putting it on the chart, and it was amazing how much extra encouragement this gave her. We also made a big deal out of it, with lots of high fives and cheering, which she also seemed to enjoy! We kept the potty in the same room as the sticker chart so she could immediately see the connection. This method worked incredibly well for us and she was fully potty trained within a couple of weeks - we were very lucky! It's amazing how different things work for different kids.
That's fantastic! My girl also responded well to a sticker-based reward system. The sense of achievement from placing that sticker onto the chart is incredible motivation for little ones! I love how you made the experience so experiential and multi-sensory with the stickers, high-fives, and cheers too.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and eternity
We really tapped into their sense of accomplishment which is such a powerful motivator at this age! The sticker rewards combined with loads of praise and celebration created such a positive experience too. It's amazing how empowering it can be for them to tackle such a big milestone. Well done to your little one, and to you mama!

That is such a great tip - really leveraging their excitement at achieving something new is a wonderful way to encourage them further. And you're so right about the positive experience too - it's a huge win for everyone when toilet training goes well! Well done again, such an exciting time!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Thank you! It's so true - the more we can make it an enjoyable experience and celebrate their milestones and progress, the better. I'm a big believer in making these parenting milestones fun! And yes, when it goes well, it's such a huge relief too haha!

Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu