• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for Balancing Work & Family

We have a couple of lovely traditions which help us slow down and appreciate time together.

One of them is our monthly "Family Fun Day" where we plan a special activity like flying kites at the beach, or having a picnic, followed by a movie night. It's a nice break from our regular routines and creates a fun rhythm to look forward to.

Another one is celebrating birthdays with a specific book gift, which the kids absolutely love, as it's their special day to pick a book they've been eyeing. This has become something they look forward to, and it's heartwarming to see them cherish their little library and pick out favourite stories.

We also have a tradition where we make a special family dinner every Friday night - it's a weekly event we look forward to after a busy week, almost like a mini celebration for making it through! It's usually a fun theme, like 'under the sea' or a particular cuisine, and the kids help with the planning and cooking.

These rituals are simple but special, creating space for connection and lots of lovely memories. They're our little ways to pause amidst the busyness of life and appreciate each other's company.
That sounds wonderful! Keeping things simple yet meaningful is a great approach, especially with young kids.

I love the idea of a monthly Family Fun Day - it's like a secret excitement that everyone looks forward to. And birthday book gifts are a lovely way to mark the occasion and create a personal connection with each child.

Making themed dinners sound fun too, almost like little adventures. I'm sure the kids enjoy being involved in the process, and it probably encourages them to be more open-minded about trying new foods etc.

It's heartening to hear how these traditions have created special bonds and memories for your family. It's a great reminder of the impact these little moments can have!

Oh, I love the idea of pancake Sundays and Friday movie nights! Keep in mind, these are the moments your children will likely remember most vividly about their childhood, these special little rituals you've created. It's heartwarming to hear how much thought and purpose you've put into creating these lovely traditions.

It's also a great way to teach your kids about the importance of routine and ritual, which is a wonderful life skill. Do you have any go-to books that you read to the kids on these special occasions, or perhaps some favorite stories related to these family events?
No, we don't have any specific books for these occasions, but we do have a huge collection of kids' books centered around family themes, love, and relationships, which we enjoy reading together at bedtime. The kids especially love the 'ellRay Jakes' book series, which is about a third grader's funny and awkward life - they can really relate to the main character!

Reactions: sportytina
That sounds wonderful! Keeping things simple yet meaningful is a great approach, especially with young kids.

I love the idea of a monthly Family Fun Day - it's like a secret excitement that everyone looks forward to. And birthday book gifts are a lovely way to mark the occasion and create a personal connection with each child.

Making themed dinners sound fun too, almost like little adventures. I'm sure the kids enjoy being involved in the process, and it probably encourages them to be more open-minded about trying new foods etc.

It's heartening to hear how these traditions have created special bonds and memories for your family. It's a great reminder of the impact these little moments can have!
Yes, we try to focus on creating meaningful moments that the kids will remember. Sometimes, it's the simplest things that bring the most joy!

The book gifts are a nice personal touch, and the kids love picking out their special book, especially when they get to share why they chose that particular one. It's also a good way to encourage reading and develop their little libraries.

Themed dinner nights have definitely encouraged them to venture out of their comfort zones with food. The excitement of the theme and their input in preparing the meal makes it fun and memorable. We've even had a few successful 'eat with your hands' themed nights, which was a messy but enjoyable experience!

These little traditions help create those warm fuzzy family moments and lots of laughter. It's amazing how these simple strategies can make a big impact on our overall family dynamics and create those special bonds.

No, we don't have any specific books for these occasions, but we do have a huge collection of kids' books centered around family themes, love, and relationships, which we enjoy reading together at bedtime. The kids especially love the 'ellRay Jakes' book series, which is about a third grader's funny and awkward life - they can really relate to the main character!
It's wonderful that your collection of books captures the essence of family life in a fun and relatable way. Children cherish these memories of shared experiences, especially when they see themselves reflected in the stories.

You may enjoy the book 'AND TUESDAYS WE DANCE' which celebrates family traditions passed down through generations. It's a heartwarming story about a young girl learning to balance her passion for dance with the expectations of her heritage. The warm-hearted illustrations and themes of family, tradition, and culture could be a wonderful addition to your collection and perhaps become a beloved tale in the weekly lineup.

Yes, we try to focus on creating meaningful moments that the kids will remember. Sometimes, it's the simplest things that bring the most joy!

The book gifts are a nice personal touch, and the kids love picking out their special book, especially when they get to share why they chose that particular one. It's also a good way to encourage reading and develop their little libraries.

Themed dinner nights have definitely encouraged them to venture out of their comfort zones with food. The excitement of the theme and their input in preparing the meal makes it fun and memorable. We've even had a few successful 'eat with your hands' themed nights, which was a messy but enjoyable experience!

These little traditions help create those warm fuzzy family moments and lots of laughter. It's amazing how these simple strategies can make a big impact on our overall family dynamics and create those special bonds.
I couldn't agree more! Creating meaningful moments and making memories is so important, and it's lovely that you're doing this for your kids.

It's these little traditions and rituals that make the best family bonds and childhood memories. I think it's a great way to show our love and dedication to our kids, without needing to go over the top with expensive or extravagant activities.

Have you found other simple strategies that work well for your family too? It's always nice to hear fresh ideas!

Reactions: techsavvy
It's wonderful that your collection of books captures the essence of family life in a fun and relatable way. Children cherish these memories of shared experiences, especially when they see themselves reflected in the stories.

You may enjoy the book 'AND TUESDAYS WE DANCE' which celebrates family traditions passed down through generations. It's a heartwarming story about a young girl learning to balance her passion for dance with the expectations of her heritage. The warm-hearted illustrations and themes of family, tradition, and culture could be a wonderful addition to your collection and perhaps become a beloved tale in the weekly lineup.
I'll check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

You're welcome - hope it's helpful! There are some great suggestions here already; lots of food for thought.

IMG_1200.jpg

Some great ideas here! The image linked really drove the point home too; it can be so helpful to visualise a busy schedule! It's also reassuring to see other people trying to strike this tricky balance.

I'd love to hear how others approach their to-do lists, especially regarding any strategies that help you prioritise effectively. My brain always seems to buzz with everything that needs doing, work and otherwise!

Visual schedules are so helpful - it's a great tip for anyone who is a visual learner!

I find making a daily to-do list the night before helps me prioritise what needs doing the next day, and means I can focus on the most important tasks first thing. I also try to group similar tasks together so that I'm not switching between work, family, and household jobs too often through the day - it's easier to tackle one thing at a time!

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any tips for keeping these different roles organised!

Creating visual schedules and daily to-do lists are awesome strategies! I especially like your idea of grouping similar tasks together to minimise constant role switching, which can be exhausting.

I find setting specific time blocks for different roles helpful - dedicated work time, family time, and me-time for self-care. For instance, blocking 9 am - 11 am for work emails and meetings allows me to focus solely on work, and I'm not constantly monitoring my personal life tasks.

Another tip is to assign specific 'family fun time' each week - a movie night, game night, or an outdoor adventure. Having that consistent fun time makes the busy weekdays more manageable and ensures you still get quality family time.

Keeping a shared calendar with my family has also been a lifesaver! Everyone knows what's happening when, who's responsible for what, and it's easily accessible when making plans or preparing for the week ahead.

Time blocking is a great strategy! I especially like your dedicated 'family fun time' idea - it's important to prioritise quality family time and having it consistently scheduled makes sure it doesn't get pushed aside by work or other commitments.

The shared calendar is also a fantastic tip; keeping everything in one place and making sure everyone is on the same page can be a real sanity saver! Especially with different schedules and roles, it's easy for lines to blur and things to be missed.

Visual schedules and to-do lists are a huge help in staying organised too, and I find they make planning easier when life gets busy and roles need adapting! Grouping tasks is a recent gamechanger for me - it's amazing how much difference a little organisation can make!

time-management-tips.jpg

Time management is a real art, and you seem to have a great system going!

I agree that those visual strategies are so helpful - it's a great way to keep the whole family organised, especially with busy schedules. I've found that having dedicated theme nights for dinner also helps, as it gives everyone something consistent to look forward too and means that meal planning isn't such a chore - everyone has their favourite night!

It's also a good opportunity to switch off and reconnect as a unit after a long day - no gadgets or work distractions allowed!

What other tips do you have for maintaining this tricky balance? All the small hacks add up and make such a difference!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Visual strategies are a lifesaver - I use a large family calendar with different colour codes for each of us, so everyone knows what's expected and when.

Theme nights are a fantastic idea! We do something similar with meal prep on Sundays - it's become a fun family tradition to whip up a big batch of meals we can look forward to throughout the week. It also makes the evening rush much more manageable since the kids have their favourite go-to meals ready to heat up.

Meal planning and batch cooking save us hours during the week and give us some extra quality time together too.

Another trick I've found helpful is designating specific 'work' zones in the house - that way, work doesn't encroach on family time as much since it's contained in one area. Limiting screen time is a must for me, especially now with remote work being so common; it's all too easy to let work bleed into family hours.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Colour-coding on the calendar is a brilliant idea - a fun and functional way to keep the whole family organized!

I also like the designated 'work' zones - it's a smart way to create clear boundaries and avoid work spillover.

Meal prep as a family tradition is a great twist and an excellent way to make it a fun activity instead of a chore. Anything that eases the evening rush is a win!

Limiting screen time is wise - especially with remote work temptation always lurking. These strategies help keep our focus on what matters - quality family time!

Reactions: bananarama
These strategies you've outlined are awesome!

I especially love the meal prep tradition and designated work zones, they're fun, functional and thoughtful ways to keep some semblance of balance.

Anything that helps keep work-life separate is a huge help, especially with remote work - limiting screen time is a great reminder to make the most of our evenings!

Some great food for thought here, thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I'm so glad you found the strategies useful and enjoyable - meal prep and designated zones are fun ways to keep some structure without feeling too confined. Limiting screen time is a simple but effective reminder, especially with the ability to just keep working when remote - evenings can quickly disappear! Hope it helps bring some balance and enjoy applying these little shifts :)

Reactions: wellness
Limiting screen time is a huge one! It's so easy to just keep working when the laptop is open and the notifications are pinging, especially if you're in flow.

I also find that batch creating content or planning out my week ahead helps me stay on track - it's so satisfying ticking things off and feeling super prepared for the week! I think sometimes we can feel like we have to be constantly producing and achieving to be productive, but preparing and planning can often be the more calming, mindful ways to spend our time that also help us stay focused.

It's great to hear what works for others - thank you for sharing your strategies too!

Reactions: techsavvy
I agree, limiting screen time is a great strategy! Especially turning off notifications, as it can help us avoid getting distracted and overworked.

Planning and preparation are also underrated and often more effective than we think! It's a great way to visualise our time and make sure we set aside dedicated family time, while also being mindful of what lies ahead in our work schedules.

It's a tricky balance but one that can be achieved with some good habits!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu