• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Tips for Balancing Work & Family

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents shared their tips for balancing work-life and family life. Joyfulswan recommended maintaining separate calendars for work and personal/family time which helps her visually separate the roles and easily plan accordingly. Koala9324 kept a physical, shared family calendar to ensure everyone is on the same page and recommended daily one-on-one time with each child. Happyfeetmama uses a physical family organiser stuck on the fridge, making sure the whole family can contribute and see what's going on easily. The users agreed that having visual reminders of their non-work lives is essential and helps keep work-life in perspective, preventing work from dominating their entire lives.

They also discussed how enjoying little moments together creates precious memories which help during tough times. Creating fun rituals and traditions as a family provides a sense of belonging and security. Everyone agreed that these shared experiences strengthen family bonds and make managing busy schedules easier. Some of the favourite simple joys included special snuggle time, family game nights, and fun activities like sticker rewards on the family calendar.

As someone who values both my career and my family, I know how difficult it can be to find a harmony between these two important aspects of my life. I'm sure many of you can relate!

Balancing work and family demands is a constant juggling act, and often, it feels like one or the other is suffering.

I'd love for this thread to be a space to gather and share our strategies for navigating this challenge. Whether it's efficient time management techniques, boundaries you've set at work, or ways you organize your personal life to make room for your career, let's pool our insights together!

What are your tried-and-true tips for keeping this delicate balance?

One strategy I've found helpful is to maintain distinct calendars for work and home.

My work calendar is strictly professional - it blocks off meetings, deadlines, and projects. Having an overview of my work commitments helps me gauge appropriate times to step away and ensures I don't overbook myself.

Meanwhile, my personal calendar is where I schedule all family-related activities. Doctor's appointments, parent-teacher conferences, sports events - everything goes here. This tool helps me advocate for time off at work and ensures that I'm present for important family occasions without getting conflicted schedules.

essentially having two calendars allows me to visually separate these roles and gives me a clear idea of my availability for each aspect of my life. It's a simple strategy, but it's made the juggling act a little easier!

As someone who values both my career and my family, I know how difficult it can be to find a harmony between these two important aspects of my life. I'm sure many of you can relate!

Balancing work and family demands is a constant juggling act, and often, it feels like one or the other is suffering.

I'd love for this thread to be a space to gather and share our strategies for navigating this challenge. Whether it's efficient time management techniques, boundaries you've set at work, or ways you organize your personal life to make room for your career, let's pool our insights together!

What are your tried-and-true tips for keeping this delicate balance?
I prioritize by keeping a physical calendar and planning family time and me-time in addition to work schedules. That way, my kids won't feel like mom is always buried in her laptop!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
One strategy I've found helpful is to maintain distinct calendars for work and home.

My work calendar is strictly professional - it blocks off meetings, deadlines, and projects. Having an overview of my work commitments helps me gauge appropriate times to step away and ensures I don't overbook myself.

Meanwhile, my personal calendar is where I schedule all family-related activities. Doctor's appointments, parent-teacher conferences, sports events - everything goes here. This tool helps me advocate for time off at work and ensures that I'm present for important family occasions without getting conflicted schedules.

essentially having two calendars allows me to visually separate these roles and gives me a clear idea of my availability for each aspect of my life. It's a simple strategy, but it's made the juggling act a little easier!
That visual separation is a great idea! It's like wearing different hats - work hat, mom hat - and being able to mentally prepare for the role at hand.

I use a physical family organizer calendar too, stuck on my fridge, with all our appointments and reminders on it; convenient for the whole family to see and contribute. Works well for me!

I prioritize by keeping a physical calendar and planning family time and me-time in addition to work schedules. That way, my kids won't feel like mom is always buried in her laptop!
That's great! It's so important to physically see and acknowledge that work doesn't dominate our whole lives, isn't it? I'm sure the visual reminder of your calendar also helps you keep a balanced perspective when work demands increase.

Do you have any other strategies for keeping family time sacred and maintaining sanity amidst busy schedules?

Reactions: koala
That visual separation is a great idea! It's like wearing different hats - work hat, mom hat - and being able to mentally prepare for the role at hand.

I use a physical family organizer calendar too, stuck on my fridge, with all our appointments and reminders on it; convenient for the whole family to see and contribute. Works well for me!
That's a great tip! Having a central family calendar that everyone can access is super helpful, a physical board ensures that everyone is literally on the same page. No miscommunication about schedules or double-booking!

It's also a lovely way to get the whole family involved and aware of each other's plans and commitments.

That's great! It's so important to physically see and acknowledge that work doesn't dominate our whole lives, isn't it? I'm sure the visual reminder of your calendar also helps you keep a balanced perspective when work demands increase.

Do you have any other strategies for keeping family time sacred and maintaining sanity amidst busy schedules?
With young kids who demand lots of attention, I make sure to carve out some one-on-one time with each of them every day - even if it's just 15 mins to snuggle and chat about their day. It makes them feel special and lets me catch any concerns they might have.

That's a great tip! Having a central family calendar that everyone can access is super helpful, a physical board ensures that everyone is literally on the same page. No miscommunication about schedules or double-booking!

It's also a lovely way to get the whole family involved and aware of each other's plans and commitments.
Having a shared calendar ensures the whole family is involved and in the loop - even my tot has fun putting up cute stickers next to her activities! It definitely helps me remember whose turn it is to pick up the kids from school too!

With young kids who demand lots of attention, I make sure to carve out some one-on-one time with each of them every day - even if it's just 15 mins to snuggle and chat about their day. It makes them feel special and lets me catch any concerns they might have.
That's a wonderful strategy! It's amazing how something so simple can make a huge difference in connecting with your kids and ensuring they feel loved and heard.

Being present and conscious of their needs is such an important aspect of parenting, and it's encouraging to see you've found an effective way to achieve that despite your busy life.

Having a shared calendar ensures the whole family is involved and in the loop - even my tot has fun putting up cute stickers next to her activities! It definitely helps me remember whose turn it is to pick up the kids from school too!
That's an adorable way to get your little one interested and involved with the family schedule. The visual representation of a calendar, with stickers and all, is a fun way to make it a family activity! It's also a subtle yet effective way to teach her about planning and organization :)

It definitely helps that it's a physical board; everyone can see at a glance what's coming up and plan accordingly. No more forgotten tennis lessons or unexpected playdates!

Reactions: luciana
That's a wonderful strategy! It's amazing how something so simple can make a huge difference in connecting with your kids and ensuring they feel loved and heard.

Being present and conscious of their needs is such an important aspect of parenting, and it's encouraging to see you've found an effective way to achieve that despite your busy life.
I agree - the little things matter so much! It keeps me mindful of their emotional needs and makes juggling work and family a lot easier.

I agree - the little things matter so much! It keeps me mindful of their emotional needs and makes juggling work and family a lot easier.
Yes, those little moments shared and enjoyed truly add up and before you know it, they become wonderful memories!

Yes, those little moments shared and enjoyed truly add up and before you know it, they become wonderful memories!
Enjoying the simple joys and creating meaningful rituals is definitely the way to go. These shared experiences strengthen bonds and create a rich fabric of love and support - very important for getting through the busier, challenging moments.

That's so true! Creating those special rituals and treasuring the little things can make such a difference - it's a wonderful way to bring meaning and connection into our busy lives.

What are some of your favourite family rituals or 'simple joys'? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to try!

Enjoying the simple joys and creating meaningful rituals is definitely the way to go. These shared experiences strengthen bonds and create a rich fabric of love and support - very important for getting through the busier, challenging moments.
I totally agree that creating these special memories helps us get through the tough times, especially when we can retreat into our comfort zones with loved ones.

I totally agree that creating these special memories helps us get through the tough times, especially when we can retreat into our comfort zones with loved ones.
Yes, building these lovely family traditions gives a sense of belonging and security to look back on and draws everyone closer together - a great way to navigate the busy work week!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Traditions are a lovely way to foster deep connections and create beautiful memories, especially amidst busy schedules. It's like threading a narrative throughout your family life, something to look back on fondly and continue nurturing.

What are some of these cherished traditions you've established? Are they activity-based, like a weekly movie night or park visits, or centered around milestones and celebrations? I agree that these rituals can create a strong sense of identity within the family dynamic and appreciate hearing how others navigate this too!

Reactions: greenfingers
Traditions are a lovely way to foster deep connections and create beautiful memories, especially amidst busy schedules. It's like threading a narrative throughout your family life, something to look back on fondly and continue nurturing.

What are some of these cherished traditions you've established? Are they activity-based, like a weekly movie night or park visits, or centered around milestones and celebrations? I agree that these rituals can create a strong sense of identity within the family dynamic and appreciate hearing how others navigate this too!
We have a couple of traditions which help us slow down and appreciate each other's company. Every Sunday morning, we prepare pancakes together as a family - the kids take turns to whisk the eggs and pour the batter while I cook the pancakes. We also have a weekly movie night on Fridays, with lots of blankets and pillows on the floor and a different movie selected by the kids each week. We always celebrate birthdays with a staycation too, making the birthday child feel extra special. These little rituals mean a lot to me, and I hope the kids will have fond memories of them when they're older!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny

We have a couple of lovely traditions which help us slow down and appreciate time together.

One of them is our monthly "Family Fun Day" where we plan a special activity like flying kites at the beach, or having a picnic, followed by a movie night. It's a nice break from our regular routines and creates a fun rhythm to look forward to.

Another one is celebrating birthdays with a specific book gift, which the kids absolutely love, as it's their special day to pick a book they've been eyeing. This has become something they look forward to, and it's heartwarming to see them cherish their little library and pick out favourite stories.

We also have a tradition where we make a special family dinner every Friday night - it's a weekly event we look forward to after a busy week, almost like a mini celebration for making it through! It's usually a fun theme, like 'under the sea' or a particular cuisine, and the kids help with the planning and cooking.

These rituals are simple but special, creating space for connection and lots of lovely memories. They're our little ways to pause amidst the busyness of life and appreciate each other's company.

We have a couple of traditions which help us slow down and appreciate each other's company. Every Sunday morning, we prepare pancakes together as a family - the kids take turns to whisk the eggs and pour the batter while I cook the pancakes. We also have a weekly movie night on Fridays, with lots of blankets and pillows on the floor and a different movie selected by the kids each week. We always celebrate birthdays with a staycation too, making the birthday child feel extra special. These little rituals mean a lot to me, and I hope the kids will have fond memories of them when they're older!
Oh, I love the idea of pancake Sundays and Friday movie nights! Keep in mind, these are the moments your children will likely remember most vividly about their childhood, these special little rituals you've created. It's heartwarming to hear how much thought and purpose you've put into creating these lovely traditions.

It's also a great way to teach your kids about the importance of routine and ritual, which is a wonderful life skill. Do you have any go-to books that you read to the kids on these special occasions, or perhaps some favorite stories related to these family events?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu