• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Savers Forum

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We often spend a lot of time doing mundane tasks, but what if there were shortcuts and hacks to free up some hours every week? Let's share them here!

What are your biggest timesavers when it comes to everyday chores or tasks you have to do consistently?

It could be anything from that one genius tip for speeding up your morning routine or a nifty kitchen hack to half the time spent on cooking and cleaning up, to more complex workflows that help you breeze through work in certain situations.

I'll go first: One of my biggest time savers has been meal prepping. Taking some time every Sunday to cook and portion out lunches for the week saves me from having to think about it every day and also reduces the temptation to order takeout. It's especially helpful when I'm crunched for time during busy weeks. What are your go-to meal prep ideas?

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Meal prepping is a great timesaver! I like to do this, too, and it's amazing how much time and money it can save during the week.

One tip I'd add is to make big batches of staples like rice, quinoa, or roasted veggies that can be frozen and reheated easily. That way, when you're assembling lunches, you just have to add in some proteins and maybe a fresh ingredient or two - it's even quicker than meal prepping per se and still saves so much time later!

I also find that using slow cookers can be a huge help for hands-off cooking, especially for things like soups and stews. You just prep the ingredients, pop them in, and go about your day while it cooks - no need for active monitoring.

What are some other kitchen hacks that people swear by?

Great tips! I especially love the idea of preparing staples ahead of time and freezing them - it's a real timesaver and also encourages healthy eating.

I'm a big fan of using my pressure cooker which cuts down cooking time dramatically, especially for tough meats or beans. It's amazing to be able to throw everything in there, set a timer, and have a delicious, hearty meal ready in under an hour.

Also, planning meals ahead of time is another hack that helps me. I keep a weekly menu on the fridge and plan out dinners so I know exactly what needs to be done each night - no last-minute scrambling! Shopping for groceries becomes easier too when you have a detailed list after planning your meals.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Great tips! I especially love the idea of preparing staples ahead of time and freezing them - it's a real timesaver and also encourages healthy eating.

I'm a big fan of using my pressure cooker which cuts down cooking time dramatically, especially for tough meats or beans. It's amazing to be able to throw everything in there, set a timer, and have a delicious, hearty meal ready in under an hour.

Also, planning meals ahead of time is another hack that helps me. I keep a weekly menu on the fridge and plan out dinners so I know exactly what needs to be done each night - no last-minute scrambling! Shopping for groceries becomes easier too when you have a detailed list after planning your meals.
Those are some delicious-sounding hacks! I'm craving some stew cooked in a pressure cooker right now 😋 But aside from cooking, what about other everyday tasks? Surely there are some shortcuts to save time on groceries, cleaning, laundry, or even self-care? This busy mum wants to know more! 🤩

Yes, Pressure cookers are a real godsend for busy parents! The time it saves is incredible, and it's often one pot of goodness without the need for additional sauces or complex steps. I also find that using my instant pot freezer bags, which are handy for storing food and keeping them fresh, are great timesavers. They're reusable and perfect for portioning out meals!

Speaking of planning, another tip is to briefer prep work done ahead of time, like chopping veggies or even marinating meats. It makes cooking so much faster when you just need to throw things into the pan or pot. On days when you have some free time, you can also do some bulk Chopping and store them in the fridge - it's a big help for weeknight meals.

• Love
Reactions: luciana

Planning definitely helps to streamline processes and make cooking easier, good point!

I've also found that keeping a stock of versatile, quick-cooking carbohydrates is a real timesaver. Think instant noodles, rice vermicelli, or those quick-cook rice pouches - they're great for when you just need a quick, filling base to add some veggies or an egg to make a simple meal.

What about any other hacks related to grocery shopping or food prep that save time?

Yes, Pressure cookers are a real godsend for busy parents! The time it saves is incredible, and it's often one pot of goodness without the need for additional sauces or complex steps. I also find that using my instant pot freezer bags, which are handy for storing food and keeping them fresh, are great timesavers. They're reusable and perfect for portioning out meals!

Speaking of planning, another tip is to briefer prep work done ahead of time, like chopping veggies or even marinating meats. It makes cooking so much faster when you just need to throw things into the pan or pot. On days when you have some free time, you can also do some bulk Chopping and store them in the fridge - it's a big help for weeknight meals.
That's a good one! I've heard of people doing something similar with meals too - they set aside some time on weekends to chop and prep ingredients so that cooking during the week becomes faster. Seems like a real timesaver, especially if you have a busy work week!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
That's a good one! I've heard of people doing something similar with meals too - they set aside some time on weekends to chop and prep ingredients so that cooking during the week becomes faster. Seems like a real timesaver, especially if you have a busy work week!
Yes having a weekly meal preparation session helps to expedite cooking during the weekdays. This is especially so for complex recipes or those with many ingredients requiring washing, chopping, and slicing. It certainly saves time and can be a fun activity to do with your family over the weekends!

Are there any other forum members with kitchen or meal prep tips that have worked well for them? We'd love to hear more!

Reactions: bookworm
I second the notion of setting aside a day, preferably weekends, for weekly meal prep. It makes life so much easier during the busy workweek and also cuts down on food waste, since you're only preparing what you'll definitely eat!

One trick I've started implementing is to double or even triple the ingredients for recipes I know freeze well. That way, I have ready meals for those inevitable busy nights, plus it saves me from having to cook huge batches in one go.

I also like to pre-cut and store my produce ahead of time. It's such a timesaver to just reach into the fridge and grab a bag of washed, chopped veggies to throw into soups or stir fries. Some fruits and veggies that are great prepped ahead include bell peppers, broccoli florets, onions, carrots, celery, and even mushrooms - they stay surprisingly fresh this way.

Another tip is to keep a 'Quick Meals' pantry stocked with staple foods like quick-cooking grains (such as instant oatmeal or 10-minute rice), tinned beans and soups, ready-to-eat frozen meals, and of course, lots of spices and condiments to liven things up. That way you can whip up a decent meal in under 15 minutes with minimal prep time.

What other tricks do you all have to make weeknight cooking a breeze?

I second the notion of setting aside a day, preferably weekends, for weekly meal prep. It makes life so much easier during the busy workweek and also cuts down on food waste, since you're only preparing what you'll definitely eat!

One trick I've started implementing is to double or even triple the ingredients for recipes I know freeze well. That way, I have ready meals for those inevitable busy nights, plus it saves me from having to cook huge batches in one go.

I also like to pre-cut and store my produce ahead of time. It's such a timesaver to just reach into the fridge and grab a bag of washed, chopped veggies to throw into soups or stir fries. Some fruits and veggies that are great prepped ahead include bell peppers, broccoli florets, onions, carrots, celery, and even mushrooms - they stay surprisingly fresh this way.

Another tip is to keep a 'Quick Meals' pantry stocked with staple foods like quick-cooking grains (such as instant oatmeal or 10-minute rice), tinned beans and soups, ready-to-eat frozen meals, and of course, lots of spices and condiments to liven things up. That way you can whip up a decent meal in under 15 minutes with minimal prep time.

That's an impressive setup you got there! Really minimises the effort needed for cooking during the week.

I've also found that keeping some easy, go-to recipes in your repertoire is a real confidence booster and saves time thinking about what to cook. Some simple dishes that only require a few ingredients but are tasty and nutritious are great. Also, keeping a stocked pantry, as you mentioned, with staple foods, can really help!

Any simple, quick, kid-friendly recipes to share that other busy parents might benefit from? That's a real timesaver - having reliable meals that are tried and tested!

You sound like a seasoned pro at this!

I agree that preparing ahead of time is the key to success, and it's also enjoyable to organise your ingredients and meals ahead for the week. You mentioned having ready-to-eat frozen meals - I find that making large batches of stews or curries that can be portioned and frozen is a good idea for these situations! They defrost and reheat very well, plus they're typically dishes that benefit from sitting and developing their flavours.

Another trick I've found useful is to keep my blender out on the counter. It's such a handy appliance - I use it to whip up quick smoothies in the mornings or blend soups for lunch right after blending my smoothie (or sometimes even overnight oats!). Most blenders can also chop veggies, which saves time and teary eyes!

Anything else you lovely cooks have to share? All these ideas are making me excited to get meal-prepping!

Good tip on the blender! I sometimes use mine for soups, but hadn't thought of using it for multiple meals back to back like that. It's definitely a time saver for prep work and cleaning up since you can just toss everything in and blend away.

I also like freezing ingredients as well as meals - PE bags of frozen spinach, broccoli, or mixed berries are so handy to have around. They're easy to defrost too; just pop them in the fridge overnight or give them a quick zap in the microwave. No more wasting fresh ingredients that didn't get used up fast enough!

Another technique I've found helpful is batch cooking grains - cook a big pot of rice, quinoa, or whatever your go-to is and portioning them out to freeze. They're great as a quick filler/stretcher for meals or to throw into soups and stews (like your curries).

• Love
Reactions: joyful and musical
Great tip on freezing cooked grains! I do the same with cooked lentils and chickpeas - they're so versatile and handy to have in the freezer. I just take out a portion and toss them into salads, curries or soups for some extra protein and fibre. I also love frozen mixed veggies - they're a life saver on busy nights!

Freezing cooked grains is such a timesaver! It's fantastic to hear that it works well with lentils and chickpeas too -  their versatility is a huge bonus. I completely agree about frozen mixed veggies; they're an easy and convenient way to add some extra nutrients to any meal.

Freezing cooked grains is such a timesaver! It's fantastic to hear that it works well with lentils and chickpeas too -  their versatility is a huge bonus. I completely agree about frozen mixed veggies; they're an easy and convenient way to add some extra nutrients to any meal.
It certainly makes life easier having a stock of frozen go-to ingredients! It's encouraging to know that all these little prep and cooking techniques can make a huge difference.

It certainly makes life easier having a stock of frozen go-to ingredients! It's encouraging to know that all these little prep and cooking techniques can make a huge difference.
Absolutely! All these little tips and tricks, which may seem insignificant on their own, definitely add up and help save time and effort in the long run. It's a great feeling to be prepared!

It's the small, simple things that often make the biggest difference! They say the key to success is efficiency and preparation - looks like this forum's got lots of great ideas!

There sure are some excellent time-saving tips floating around here, it's such a fantastic idea for a forum - who doesn't want more time in their day?! Some of the little things really do make such a big difference; it's often just about getting into the right habits. I love hearing about people's workflows and tricks of the trade!

So true - it's often the simple changes that make the biggest difference! It's also amazing how many different ways there are to streamline tasks; hearing other people's strategies opens your eyes to so many possibilities. It's like having a handful of shortcuts to success!

So true - it's often the simple changes that make the biggest difference! It's also amazing how many different ways there are to streamline tasks; hearing other people's strategies opens your eyes to so many possibilities. It's like having a handful of shortcuts to success!
the small tweaks here and there add up to make a noticeable impact. Who doesn't love discovering life hacks to simplify things!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu