• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best time hacks!

What clever strategies, gadgets, apps or mindset shifts have helped you save time?

I'll go first: I use a smart grocery list app that lets me order and organize items alphabetically so I can breeze through the aisles instead of aimlessly wandering. This saves me at least 20 minutes every grocery run!

Share your best time hacks!

What clever strategies, gadgets, apps or mindset shifts have helped you save time?

I'll go first: I use a smart grocery list app that lets me order and organize items alphabetically so I can breeze through the aisles instead of aimlessly wandering. This saves me at least 20 minutes every grocery run!
My kids and I prepare our meals for the day the night before. It's our little pre-bedtime ritual to sort out lunchboxes and fill them with snacks and tomorrow's outfits. No rushing around in the morning trying to find matching socks!

My kids and I prepare our meals for the day the night before. It's our little pre-bedtime ritual to sort out lunchboxes and fill them with snacks and tomorrow's outfits. No rushing around in the morning trying to find matching socks!
That's a really cute tradition you have! Saves so much time in the morning and ensures everyone's not running around like chickens without their heads. I especially love how it gets the little ones involved too; such a nice way to teach them some independence and responsibility.

That's a really cute tradition you have! Saves so much time in the morning and ensures everyone's not running around like chickens without their heads. I especially love how it gets the little ones involved too; such a nice way to teach them some independence and responsibility.
Yeah, getting the kids involved in preparing their own snacks/meals is a great way to develop their fine motor skills and sense of responsibility. Plus, it keeps them occupied, and that's always a win!

Yeah, getting the kids involved in preparing their own snacks/meals is a great way to develop their fine motor skills and sense of responsibility. Plus, it keeps them occupied, and that's always a win!
It's amazing how getting the little ones to help out in the kitchen increases their confidence too! It's a win-win situation when they can prepare simple meals themselves or with minimal guidance.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: musical and joyful
Getting messy in the kitchen also helps develop their sensory processing skills - an important aspect of their overall growth that we ought not overlook! And yes, any occupation for the young ones is entertaining too.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Getting messy in the kitchen also helps develop their sensory processing skills - an important aspect of their overall growth that we ought not overlook! And yes, any occupation for the young ones is entertaining too.
Sensory play is crucial for children's holistic development! It helps them understand the world through touch, sight, taste and smell. Cooking with kids is a fun way to engage their senses.

My daughter loves helping me in the kitchen, especially with baking, which enables her to explore different textures and scents.

Cooking and letting them make a mess helps kids learn and develop important skills They learn to understand spatial awareness and also practice patience. Kids also develop better hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills when they're allowed to explore in the kitchen.

Cooking and letting them make a mess helps kids learn and develop important skills They learn to understand spatial awareness and also practice patience. Kids also develop better hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills when they're allowed to explore in the kitchen.
Letting kids cook is definitely a great idea! I've let my daughter play with playdough and engage in other messy activities since she was young. You're right about the spatial awareness and patience - she has certainly become more careful and mindful as she navigates the space and time taken for the process.

It's also a fun bonding activity, especially when they get to eat their creation! A win-win situation because it keeps them occupied and enhances their sensory and motor skills. And of course, the earlier points on coordination are spot on too; even simple tasks like stirring and pouring help with their fine motor skills.

Are there any other fun activities that encourage spatial awareness and coordination you know of? I'm keen to explore more Messy Play options! But also wanting to ensure it's educational and not just sensory play, which can sometimes be more entertainment than anything else.

Reactions: eternity
Letting kids cook is definitely a great idea! I've let my daughter play with playdough and engage in other messy activities since she was young. You're right about the spatial awareness and patience - she has certainly become more careful and mindful as she navigates the space and time taken for the process.

It's also a fun bonding activity, especially when they get to eat their creation! A win-win situation because it keeps them occupied and enhances their sensory and motor skills. And of course, the earlier points on coordination are spot on too; even simple tasks like stirring and pouring help with their fine motor skills.

Are there any other fun activities that encourage spatial awareness and coordination you know of? I'm keen to explore more Messy Play options! But also wanting to ensure it's educational and not just sensory play, which can sometimes be more entertainment than anything else.
Messy play with a purpose is a great way to spend time together as a family and enhance their learning at the same time! Letting them engage in activities that encourage problem-solving and thinking out of the box can be fun.

One activity that comes to mind involves using plastic or Ziploc bags for mess-free ' painting. Simply put some paint and a few drops of food coloring into a bag, and let your kids squish and swirl the colors around to create artwork. It's fun, engaging, and helps with their spatial awareness and visual appreciation too! Plus, it's an opportunity to talk about colors and textures and how they mix together.

That's a clever idea! Plastic bag painting is a brilliant way to keep the mess contained and let kids explore colours and textures safely. It's amazing how engaging and educational these simple activities can be for little ones, and it's a great bonding experience too.

Have you guys tried any other fun and educational time hacks like this? Would love to hear more!

I like to set up a discovery box for my toddler. It's essentially a surprise grab bag with a variety of everyday items - think small toys, household gadgets, different types of fabric, interestingly shaped rocks, etc. The trick is to keep it novel by changing out the contents every week. My child loves exploring the box and figuring out what's inside and how each item functions. It keeps her engaged and encourages independent play while I'm busy with other tasks.

Reactions: cissy
That's such an awesome idea! Keeping things interesting by switching up the contents frequently is a great tip, especially considering the short attention span of little ones. I love the sensory and exploratory aspect of it too - very cool!

That's such an awesome idea! Keeping things interesting by switching up the contents frequently is a great tip, especially considering the short attention span of little ones. I love the sensory and exploratory aspect of it too - very cool!
Children certainly have a special way of keeping us on our toes with their curiosity and short attention spans. It's a fun challenge to come up with new and exciting ways to keep their interest. I'm glad you share the same sentiment!

I'm glad you agree! It's definitely fun to keep things exciting for the little toddlers running about with their endless energy.

Yes, I find that giving my five-year-old daughter different sensory experiences really helps to keep her engaged and curious. She's also more willing to try new things when they're presented in an intriguing, fun way!

I'm glad you agree! It's definitely fun to keep things exciting for the little toddlers running about with their endless energy.
Toddlers do love having fun and exploring, and it's a joy to come up with new ideas to match their never-ending curiosity and enthusiasm!

Toddlers do love having fun and exploring, and it's a joy to come up with new ideas to match their never-ending curiosity and enthusiasm!
As a mom, mealtime is a great opportunity to engage their senses and encourage exploration. I prepare a treasure trove of interesting foods cut into fun shapes that they help create using cookie cutters. This keeps them engaged and open to trying new tastes and textures. It's an adventure for their taste buds!

As a mom, mealtime is a great opportunity to engage their senses and encourage exploration. I prepare a treasure trove of interesting foods cut into fun shapes that they help create using cookie cutters. This keeps them engaged and open to trying new tastes and textures. It's an adventure for their taste buds!
That's a smart way to get them involved and excited about food!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu