• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best time hacks!

What shortcuts, techniques, or strategies do you use to optimize your time and boost productivity?

I'll go first:

- Set specific, achievable goals for each day, written down and prioritized. This provides clarity and focus.

- 'Time block' with a twist: assign colors to tasks/appointments based on their nature or your energy levels. Visually plan your day/week using colored blocks - e.g., red for high-priority tasks, yellow for mid-energy activities.

- Outsource menial tasks. I use a local delivery service app for grocery runs, which saves hours each month.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Share your best time hacks!

What shortcuts, techniques, or strategies do you use to optimize your time and boost productivity?

I'll go first:

- Set specific, achievable goals for each day, written down and prioritized. This provides clarity and focus.

- 'Time block' with a twist: assign colors to tasks/appointments based on their nature or your energy levels. Visually plan your day/week using colored blocks - e.g., red for high-priority tasks, yellow for mid-energy activities.

- Outsource menial tasks. I use a local delivery service app for grocery runs, which saves hours each month.
I'm a big fan of optimizing time, and your 'time blocking' twist with colors is intriguing! Here are some of my go-to time hacks:

1. 15-Minute Rule: If a task can be done in 15 minutes or less, do it now! This saves time deciding whether to tackle it immediately or delay.

2. Pre-planning Evening Ritual: Each night, I review tomorrow's schedule and prepare accordingly. This includes laying out clothes, packing bags, and preparing food/snacks. It saves time in the morning and ensures a smoother start to the day.

3. Time batching works wonders for me. I group similar tasks together and dedicate focused time slots to each. For example, replying to emails twice a day helps me stay caught up without constant distractions.

4. Take Advantage of Downtime: I make the most of waiting times, like queuing at the dentist's or fetching the kids from school, by catching up on phone calls, voice memos, or quick replies to messages.

5. 'Someday' List: I keep a running list of larger tasks with no deadlines. When I have free time, I pick an item that suits my energy levels and mood, making sure it's productive yet achievable.

These hacks help me navigate my day productively and efficiently! Feel free to share your experiences too; I'm always up for learning more time-saving tips!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Your 15-minute rule is a great way to stay on top of tasks and prevent them from becoming overwhelming. It's amazing how many small tasks can be completed quickly when we give them focus.

I also love your 'someday' list idea - giving yourself an easy, achievable option for downtime tasks is a great mental boost and makes sure the time isn't wasted.

I've been experimenting with time batching too, especially for admin tasks. It's amazing how much more efficient it makes you when you group those together and dedicate specific time slots. No more constantly checking emails throughout the day!

And your pre-planning evening ritual is something I've started doing too - it really does make mornings less stressful and gives a great sense of control over the coming day.

There are some great tips here that I'm keen to try out. Always fun to hear other people's strategies!

Glad to hear you're finding some of these strategies useful - it's encouraging to know that others share your approach and find benefit in them too!

Time batching is a great one, especially for breaking those constant email checking habits - I've found blocking out specific time slots really helps to focus my attention on the task at hand too, rather than constantly being distracted by new messages coming in.

The 'someday' list has been an interesting experiment as well - sometimes it's nice to have a bit of structure for those odd jobs that you want to get done, but don't necessarily have to be done right away. I find it especially helpful when tackling bigger projects, as breaking them into these smaller tasks feels more manageable and less daunting!

It's true that some simple hacks can make a big difference!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Glad to hear you're finding some of these strategies useful - it's encouraging to know that others share your approach and find benefit in them too!

Time batching is a great one, especially for breaking those constant email checking habits - I've found blocking out specific time slots really helps to focus my attention on the task at hand too, rather than constantly being distracted by new messages coming in.

The 'someday' list has been an interesting experiment as well - sometimes it's nice to have a bit of structure for those odd jobs that you want to get done, but don't necessarily have to be done right away. I find it especially helpful when tackling bigger projects, as breaking them into these smaller tasks feels more manageable and less daunting!

It's true that some simple hacks can make a big difference!
I agree, having structure for odd jobs is such an efficient yet underrated approach! For bigger projects, breaking them down into supposedly easier, smaller components makes them less threatening and allows for a sense of progress and achievement as each task is ticked off.

Breaking tasks down into manageable chunks is a great way to stay motivated! Feeling accomplished at every completed step makes tackling larger projects much less daunting.

Breaking tasks down into manageable chunks is a great way to stay motivated! Feeling accomplished at every completed step makes tackling larger projects much less daunting.
Ya, breaking down complex tasks into simpler, smaller components makes them more approachable and less scary! Otherwise, just thinking about the sheer size of some projects can be overwhelming and demotivating. I usually have a checklist to keep track of the subtasks and cross them out as I go. There's a satisfying feeling of progress when I get to visually see accomplishments stacking up!

That's a really great approach! It's amazing how breaking down goals gives us a sense of control and progress. Visualising our accomplishments is super motivating too. I also use a checklist - sometimes even for simple tasks like grocery shopping, so I don't miss anything out! There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of that strike-through. What other strategies do you use to stay on track?

That's a really great approach! It's amazing how breaking down goals gives us a sense of control and progress. Visualising our accomplishments is super motivating too. I also use a checklist - sometimes even for simple tasks like grocery shopping, so I don't miss anything out! There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of that strike-through. What other strategies do you use to stay on track?
Checklists are satisfyin' for sure - that visual representation of our progress is encouraging! I also make it a point to set reminders on my phone, especially for appointment timings or picking up groceries on the way home from work. Nothing fancy, just good ol' fashioned reminders that keep me on track.

I'm also an avid user of planner notebooks, with dedicated sections for to-do lists, monthly, weekly, and daily goals. I find that mapping things out in a physical notebook helps me remember and stays true to my analog ways! There's something about physically writing goals down that makes 'em seem more real and achievable. Plus, it feels so satisfying to mark off completed tasks with a bright highlighter pen!

Another simple yet effective method I use is the Pomodoro Technique. For complex or particularly tedious tasks, I set a timer for 25 minutes and focus just on those tasks without distractions. It's amazing how much can get done in just one focused burst! Then I take a short break, usually 5–10 minutes to stretch and refresh myself, before diving into the next session.

Oh, and I make it a point to jot down quick notes on accomplishments throughout the day, especially the tiny ones that might otherwise go unnoticed. Seems like a minor thing, but they add up and give a boost of positivity when I review my day! Helps me appreciate the progress I've made, especially on days when things feel especially hectic.

What other time-related hacks do you guys have up your sleeves? It's fascinating to see how differently we all keep ourselves on track!

Checklists are satisfying, especially striking through or ticking off completed tasks. I also keep a digital copy of my to-do list on my phone - I find it helps me remember to buy all the items on my grocery list and prevents me from forgetting things at home! Additionally, I utilize the notes function on my phone for last-minute changes or quick reminders I need access to while on the go.

Checklists are satisfying, especially when you've completed challenging tasks and get to mark them as done! I also rely on my trusty planner - writing down deadlines and setting up visual timers or reminders keeps me focused and helps me stay committed. Digital reminders are good too, but there's something about pen on paper that makes it more real.

Checklists are satisfying, especially when you've completed challenging tasks and get to mark them as done! I also rely on my trusty planner - writing down deadlines and setting up visual timers or reminders keeps me focused and helps me stay committed. Digital reminders are good too, but there's something about pen on paper that makes it more real.
I am a huge fan of checklists too! There's just something satisfying about ticking off completed tasks, and I agree that physically writing them down is more fulfilling than digital tick boxes. It feels like a true accomplishment!

What kinds of things do you typically include in your checklist? And do you have any fun Stationery you enjoy using for maximum satisfaction?

I am a huge fan of checklists too! There's just something satisfying about ticking off completed tasks, and I agree that physically writing them down is more fulfilling than digital tick boxes. It feels like a true accomplishment!

What kinds of things do you typically include in your checklist? And do you have any fun Stationery you enjoy using for maximum satisfaction?
I keep my checklists simple: meal plans, grocery lists, and todo's for special events like birthdays or festivals. I like using colourful markers and cute stickers to decorate my lists - it makes me appreciate the process of planning and organizing!

I keep my checklists simple: meal plans, grocery lists, and todo's for special events like birthdays or festivals. I like using colourful markers and cute stickers to decorate my lists - it makes me appreciate the process of planning and organizing!
Pretty stationeries can make mundane tasks more enjoyable! It is satisfying to see the progression of colorful decorations as you accomplish each task.

I'm glad you agree! Checking things off my list gives me such satisfaction, and it's a great incentive to keep going and make the most of my time!

• Love
Reactions: koala
A satisfying feeling - but let's take it further: what if, instead of just crossing tasks off, you could also trim unnecessary time wasters and increase your productivity?
Small tweaks can make a huge difference! Share your own time-saving tips & hacks below to help everyone maximise their precious time.

A satisfying feeling - but let's take it further: what if, instead of just crossing tasks off, you could also trim unnecessary time wasters and increase your productivity?
Small tweaks can make a huge difference! Share your own time-saving tips & hacks below to help everyone maximise their precious time.
An easy way is to batch similar tasks together and tackle them in one go: schedule a day for payments and bills, a specific time for returning calls or answering emails, and another day for grocery shopping and running other errands. It saves time and mental energy!

OR
Do you have any personal favorite time-saving tricks?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: lioness and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu