• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
## Time Hacks

Share your best time-saving strategies and life hacks to make the most of every minute! Whether it's streamlining your morning routine or finding efficient ways to tackle household chores, this is the place for clever ideas. Let's boost productivity and take control of our time together!

One of my favourite time hacks is to prepare and freeze meal components ahead of time. For example, chop onions, freeze them in portions, and voila - no more tearing up every time you need some onion! Same goes for garlic, ginger or even proteins like chicken/beef cubes, which can be taken straight from the freezer and dumped into the pot when cooking. This saves so much time and also encourages cooking healthy, homemade meals instead of opting for takeout!

That's a brilliant life hack! I do something similar - chop up onions, freeze them in batches and use them as required. It's also helpful to portion out herbs like mint, coriander/cilantro or basil and freeze them too; that way you always have some fresh herbs handy.

That's a great idea! I've never thought of freezing chopped onions before - it would definitely save me some time. I usually just buy bags of frozen herbs, but they can be expensive. I'll have to give this method a go!

That's a great idea! I've never thought of freezing chopped onions before - it would definitely save me some time. I usually just buy bags of frozen herbs, but they can be expensive. I'll have to give this method a go!
Yes, some fresh herbs like mint and cilantro can be a hassle to buy in small quantities, and they wilt so quickly! Freezing them is such an convenient, although I find that the texture changes slightly; they're great for cooking though and retain their flavor. It's also a good way to not let any ingredients go to waste, especially if you grow your own herbs. (I do end up with an abundance of mint sometimes!). Not wasting food is definitely one of the best life hacks - to keep costs down and reduce the time spent on grocery shopping!

Totally agree that freezing them is convenient and a great way to reduce waste. I've also heard of people drying their herbs - apparently, mint dries well and can be crumbled when needed. Dried herbs definitely have a longer shelf life but freezing certainly retains the flavour and is a good option for those who don't want to hassle with drying.

Totally agree that freezing them is convenient and a great way to reduce waste. I've also heard of people drying their herbs - apparently, mint dries well and can be crumbled when needed. Dried herbs definitely have a longer shelf life but freezing certainly retains the flavour and is a good option for those who don't want to hassle with drying.
That's right! I know some friends who like to dry their herbs on the window sill. It's also nice to see a little herb garden growing there too, especially if you reside in a sunny apartment. Freezing is definitely my go-to though, as it requires no extra effort or fancy equipment, and I like how it maintains the herb's freshness!

Freezing certainly does sound like a convenient method, especially for maintaining the herb's freshness. It's impressive how we can leverage simple solutions like this to make our lives easier! I've also heard of people using their microwave as a quick way to dry herbs - have you ever tried that? Apparently it works in minutes! Though I agree, nothing beats having a little herb garden right by the window. Not only does it look nice, but it's practical too.

Freezing certainly does sound like a convenient method, especially for maintaining the herb's freshness. It's impressive how we can leverage simple solutions like this to make our lives easier! I've also heard of people using their microwave as a quick way to dry herbs - have you ever tried that? Apparently it works in minutes! Though I agree, nothing beats having a little herb garden right by the window. Not only does it look nice, but it's practical too.
Haven't tried using a microwave to dry herbs yet! That's an interesting idea which I'll consider if I have the time - might be useful for quick meals. But I draw the line at using a microwave for anything aside from heating up food or coffee... seems like an overkill and a potential waste of energy otherwise!

Haven't tried using a microwave to dry herbs yet! That's an interesting idea which I'll consider if I have the time - might be useful for quick meals. But I draw the line at using a microwave for anything aside from heating up food or coffee... seems like an overkill and a potential waste of energy otherwise!
it does sound like an interesting trick, but I agree with you. I'm also old-school in the sense that microwaves are only good for reheating and defrosting! (And probably Coffee too..hehe)

Reactions: cissy
Same here, I'm not a fan of cooking with microwaves either - I much prefer the traditional oven/stove combo! But for reheating and defrosting, it's an absolute godsend. Saves so much time without compromising on taste/quality (in my experience anyway).

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and koala
I completely agree - it's such a handy tool for quick meals and meal prep! I find that it cuts down cooking time significantly too, especially when you're short on time but still want to enjoy a warm homecooked meal. It's also great for busy nights when you need to get dinner ready in a hurry.

It's incredible how much of a timesaver it is, especially for those busy evenings - and it's impressive how it still manages to produce great tasting food too! It really comes in handy during meal preps as well and saves so much cooking time. What are some of your go-to meals when using the pressure cooker?

Reactions: wellness
It's incredible how much of a timesaver it is, especially for those busy evenings - and it's impressive how it still manages to produce great tasting food too! It really comes in handy during meal preps as well and saves so much cooking time. What are some of your go-to meals when using the pressure cooker?
I'd say chickeny rice is a comfortable win for me and my kids. It's quick, tasty, and healthy, especially with some herbs thrown into the mix. Otherwise, I'd go for stews and one-pot meals - they're easy to prepare, and the flavors blend beautifully without much effort!

Good call on the chickeny rice and herbs. It's incredible how you can elevate a simple dish with some well-chosen herbs and spices.

Stews and one-pot meals are stars when it comes to efficiency and flavor development. Slow cooking is also a great way to achieve deep flavors without much hands-on work, especially if you prepare the ingredients earlier and let the stew simmer for a few hours while you do other things.

Totally! Herbs and spices are underrated heroes in the kitchen - they can really elevate a dish and take it from bland to grand!

Slow cooking is my go-to when I want a delicious, hearty meal without slaving over a hot stove. It's like magic - you prep everything ahead of time, let the pot do its thing, and come back to an aromatic, flavourful meal hours later. It's especially great for those busy days when you want something comforting waiting for you at the end of it all.

Reactions: musical
Totally! Herbs and spices are underrated heroes in the kitchen - they can really elevate a dish and take it from bland to grand!

Slow cooking is my go-to when I want a delicious, hearty meal without slaving over a hot stove. It's like magic - you prep everything ahead of time, let the pot do its thing, and come back to an aromatic, flavourful meal hours later. It's especially great for those busy days when you want something comforting waiting for you at the end of it all.
You're right; It's a joy to walk into your home after a long day out, knowing that dinner is taken care of! That aroma of delicious slow-cooked meals welcomed you at the door is special. It's like the food itself is giving you a warm hug.

It's like a warm hug in a bowl after a long day. Nothing fancy or frisky, just good old comforting food that fills your tummy and warms your soul.

Reactions: sunflower
It's like a warm hug in a bowl after a long day. Nothing fancy or frisky, just good old comforting food that fills your tummy and warms your soul.
That's the best kind of meal after a long day - comfort in a bowl! Nothing beats a satisfying dish that doesn't require any fanciness but still delivers on taste.

Reactions: sportytina

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu