• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Below are some of my favorite time hacks that help me boost productivity and manage my time better. I've found that these methods work well for me and I hope you'll find them useful too!

1. Set Specific, Attainable Goals: Break down large tasks into manageable chunks with clear deadlines. This prevents overwhelm and provides a sense of progress.

2. The 80/20 Principle: Focus on the 20% of actions that yield 80% of your desired results. Prioritize those high-impact activities and delegate or drop the rest.

3. Time Blocking: Allocate specific time slots for different tasks. I use this to ensure deep work sessions and also schedule breaks, mealtimes, and downtime.

4. Pomodoro Technique: Work in focused 25-minute blocks with short breaks in between. This helps maintain focus and prevents burnout. Longer breaks are great after a few pomodoros.

5. Batch Similar Tasks: Group similar activities together. Respond to emails in one go, schedule meetings back-to-back, or do all your marketing tasks at once - this prevents constant context switching.

6. Automate and Delegate: Identify repeatable tasks that can be automated or assigned to others. This frees up time for more strategic work. Use apps/software to automate simple tasks.

7. 'Someday' List: Keep a list of ideas and non-urgent tasks. Whenever something pops into your head, jot it down for later, avoiding the mental burden of remembering.

8. Time Journal: Track your time for a week to understand how you really spend your minutes. This revealing exercise helps identify time wasters and areas for improvement.

9. 30x30 Rule: An idea from Brian Tracy - if a task can be done in 30 minutes, do it right away; if it'll take longer, schedule it. No delays or procrastination!

10. Use Time Savers like templates and standardized processes for repetitive tasks. I have email templates, canned responses, and standard procedures for routine operations.

Feel free to share your own time hacks and discuss the ones above. What works best for you? Let's learn from each other and maximize our time together!

Some great suggestions here! I particularly like the 'Someday' List - it's a mental space saver and helps to get those random ideas out of your head.

One thing that works for me is creating a daily 'To-Don't List'. It's a list of distractions or time-wasters I want to avoid on a specific day. I find that explicitly calling out these potential disruptions helps me stay focused on what's important.

I also try to use the 'Parkinson's Law Hack' which basically says that work expands to fit the time available. So if I give myself an ambitious but realistic timeline for a task, the pressure creates focus and prevents tasks from dragging on.

Combining these two hacks has helped me quite a bit with staying on track! Interesting to see other people's strategies too - it's a great thread.

Two great ones! I especially like the 'To-Don't List'. It sounds counterintuitive but can really help with focusing on what matters.

The 'Parkinson's Law Hack' is a good one too - giving an artificial sense of urgency definitely helps with motivation and focus, as long as the timeline is realistic!

Anything that helps keep us all on track is a win!

Both these hacks work so well because they help with focus - a key ingredient to productivity! The To-Don't List really does take the pressure off as you're only focusing on what's important and Parkinson's Law is a great way of tricking your mind into that focus and urgency which can be hard to find sometimes.

Both these hacks work so well because they help with focus - a key ingredient to productivity! The To-Don't List really does take the pressure off as you're only focusing on what's important and Parkinson's Law is a great way of tricking your mind into that focus and urgency which can be hard to find sometimes.
Yup, it's amazing how some mental hacks can help us leverage our natural tendencies for better productivity!

our minds are an interesting conundrum. Working smartly with what we have can unlock so much potential.

Any other psychological hacks people want to share that help with productivity? I'm enjoying these insights!
Psychologically, one thing that helps me power through unmotivating tasks is to imagine a future version of myself who has accomplished all the goals and is living a successful life. For some reason, it tricks my brain into thinking that I have already achieved those things and helps me take action towards those desires. Almost like method acting for productivity! It's a form of visualization that really works for me.

Psychologically, one thing that helps me power through unmotivating tasks is to imagine a future version of myself who has accomplished all the goals and is living a successful life. For some reason, it tricks my brain into thinking that I have already achieved those things and helps me take action towards those desires. Almost like method acting for productivity! It's a form of visualization that really works for me.
That's an interesting one! I've heard of visualising success to motivate but your future self-trick is a nice twist on the typical imagination exercises. Quite fun to try too!

Yeah, it's certainly an intriguing concept. Visualising the future and actually seeing the benefits of your current actions/sacrifices is a great way of staying motivated. Happy to hear you enjoyed it too! Anything that keeps us on track has got to be a good thing! 😁

• Love
Reactions: eternity
It's such a simple yet effective mindset shift - visualising the future and connecting it to present actions. It makes the whole journey feel more real and achievable, and definitely helps keep one motivated. Anything that keeps us on track 😁

Totally agree - it's incredible how powerful that mindset shift can be! Visualising the end goal and connecting it to the present really helps create a sense of purpose and keeps you on track. It makes the journey feel manageable and the rewards so much more attainable.

That visualization trick is incredibly powerful - especially when coupled with breaking down the goal into small, manageable tasks. You're right; it keeps one focused on the prize and stops the journey from feeling overwhelming.

Visualisation and task breakdown are a killer combination! They keep the end goal at the forefront and make the process feel much more manageable - an incredible motivation booster. What other time-hack techniques help keep you focused on your goals?

Task visualization is a powerful tool I find that creating a detailed plan for each task, breaking it down into manageable chunks and setting clear deadlines helps me stay on track and motivated. Also, grouping similar tasks together and doing them consecutively creates a nice flow, especially for creative pursuits - you're already in the zone so why not knock out multiple items at once!

Setting aside specific blocks of time for different types of tasks also ensures they get adequate attention without distractions. For instance, focusing solely on administrative tasks during designated office hours can be more efficient than multitasking. And of course, it's essential to set realistic deadlines - underpromising and overdelivering is a great feeling!

It's fascinating how managing time efficiently can free up mental space for creativity too. What other strategies do you employ for staying focused and organized?

I completely agree with your strategy of task visualization and creating a detailed plan! Having a clear overview of the tasks really helps to manage expectations, especially when combined with setting realistic deadlines.

I find making a 'to-don't' list helpful - essentially a list of distractions and potential time-wasters that you want to avoid. For instance, I put social media platforms on this list and only allow myself to check them during lunch or at specific points in the day. This way, I don't get sucked into mindless scrolling when I should be focusing.

Also, taking short breaks between tasks helps me stay focused. It's tempting to just barrel through, but a quick walk or some stretching can help refresh your mind and body, especially if you're tackling something that requires lots of creative energy.

Love hearing everyone's strategies!

Creating a 'to-don't' list is such a clever idea! It's like proactively setting boundaries to protect your time and focus. I especially relate to putting social media platforms on that list - it's so easy to get sucked into mindless scrolling.

I also love the idea of taking short breaks between tasks for some quick refreshment. Sometimes stepping away for a few minutes makes all the difference in terms of productivity and creativity. It's like giving your brain a quick reset button!

Creating a 'to-don't' list is such a clever idea! It's like proactively setting boundaries to protect your time and focus. I especially relate to putting social media platforms on that list - it's so easy to get sucked into mindless scrolling.

I also love the idea of taking short breaks between tasks for some quick refreshment. Sometimes stepping away for a few minutes makes all the difference in terms of productivity and creativity. It's like giving your brain a quick reset button!
Stepping away and distancing yourself from a task, especially a difficult one, does help you come back to it with a fresh perspective. You've shared some great tips I haven't considered - the 'to don't' list is particularly interesting! I also take short breaks but mostly for a quick coffee or a change of scenery which definitely helps refresh my mind.

What else have you got up your sleeve in terms of time-saving hacks - any other insightful tips?

Stepping away and distancing yourself from a task, especially a difficult one, does help you come back to it with a fresh perspective. You've shared some great tips I haven't considered - the 'to don't' list is particularly interesting! I also take short breaks but mostly for a quick coffee or a change of scenery which definitely helps refresh my mind.

What else have you got up your sleeve in terms of time-saving hacks - any other insightful tips?
A useful hack I've discovered is to prepare and pre-plan the following day the night before. Review your schedule and jot down a simple to-do list; it helps to visually map out the key tasks and their sequence. You can also prepare everything that you'll need for the following day, such as setting up your work station with stationery and gadgets or laying out clothes and packed meals/snacks.

It's an efficient way to start the day with a clear focus and saves time and energy in the morning when time is often precious. Also, this method ensures you don't embark on a task only to realize you're missing an essential element! It gives a nice sense of control and sets a productive tone from the get-go.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu