• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

All this talk about frozen foods has got me thinking - what other time-saving tips do you moms swear by? Something beyond freezing foods would be great to add to my repertoire!
Some of the most time-saving gadgets in the kitchen that I've found useful are my slow cooker and instant pot. Being able to dump everything into one pot and let it cook while I attend to other things is such a timesaver!

I also recently started bulk-cooking rice, portions frozen in jars. It's especially handy when my son requests his favourite rice dishes out of the blue. No more last-minute cooking or takeout!

That's a great tip about the rice - it's so true that some staple foods are worth having pre-cooked and portioned out! I often do this with pasta too; it's so handy to just grab a serving, heat it up, and throw together a quick sauce when you're short on time. It's also a real hunger-saver when your fridge is bare!

I'm yet to take the plunge and buy an instant pot - are there many dishes you can make in it? I feel like it might be too good to be true as a time-saver AND a set-and-forget gadget!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
That's a great tip about the rice - it's so true that some staple foods are worth having pre-cooked and portioned out! I often do this with pasta too; it's so handy to just grab a serving, heat it up, and throw together a quick sauce when you're short on time. It's also a real hunger-saver when your fridge is bare!

I'm yet to take the plunge and buy an instant pot - are there many dishes you can make in it? I feel like it might be too good to be true as a time-saver AND a set-and-forget gadget!
The Instant Pot is really versatile - you can cook pretty much anything from soups, stews, one-pot meals, curries, porridges, and even yogurt and desserts! You just need to toss all your ingredients in, choose the right cooking function (there are several to choose from), and let it work its magic. It also has a slow cook function, which is great for hands-off cooking like a conventional slow cooker.

What's more, the jump from stove to Instant Pot cooking is quite seamless, so even simple meals taste amazing with minimal effort. I often make a mean chicken stew with chunks of potato and carrot, using the pressure cook function which takes about 35 minutes in total. And cleanup is a breeze because you're using just one pot!

You'll have to let me know what you think if you decide to get one; I'm always curious about other people's experiences with these kitchen gadgets.

The Instant Pot is really versatile - you can cook pretty much anything from soups, stews, one-pot meals, curries, porridges, and even yogurt and desserts! You just need to toss all your ingredients in, choose the right cooking function (there are several to choose from), and let it work its magic. It also has a slow cook function, which is great for hands-off cooking like a conventional slow cooker.

What's more, the jump from stove to Instant Pot cooking is quite seamless, so even simple meals taste amazing with minimal effort. I often make a mean chicken stew with chunks of potato and carrot, using the pressure cook function which takes about 35 minutes in total. And cleanup is a breeze because you're using just one pot!

You'll have to let me know what you think if you decide to get one; I'm always curious about other people's experiences with these kitchen gadgets.
The versatility of the instant pot sounds too good to be true! And if it makes cooking that much easier, then why not? I think I'll be picking one up soon and will definitely let you know how I get on with it.

I'm all about minimizing the number of pots and pans needed for a dish, so I might even attempt your chicken stew recipe - sounds delicious, and if it's quick and easy, even better!

You'll have to share your culinary experience with us once you've picked up the instant pot! I was skeptical at first too, but it really does live up to the hype; cooking becomes so much simpler, especially when you're short on time.

Go for it and happy cooking!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Instant Pot is a game-changer then! I'm always looking for ways to save time cooking, so I'll definitely look into getting one. Thanks for the recommendation!

Some time-saving tips I've found include keeping a daily to-do list and setting realistic, achievable goals on it. That way you can visually see your progress, which is motivating and also helps you prioritize. I also batch similar tasks together - for instance, I do all my admin work or household chores in one block rather than sprinkling them throughout the day/week so I can focus my energy and get into a productive headspace. Also, scheduling in leisure time has been a game-changer! Knowing that 'fun' activity is coming up keeps me motivated to get through the more mundane tasks.

Those are some great habits!

I especially love batching similar tasks together - it makes them feel more manageable and less tedious, and you're right about the mental shift it enables. You can really focus your energy and get into a productive groove. Plus, ticking off multiple similar tasks feels so rewarding!

And yes to scheduling leisure time! Knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel - especially when it's an activity we enjoy - is such a strong motivator. It also adds a lovely structure to our week and keeps us from burning out.

What other fun 'time hacks' do folks have up their sleeves?

I find that breaking larger, more daunting tasks into manageable chunks helps. Sometimes I'd be daunted by a task and delay starting it because it felt too overwhelming. But when I began tackling such tasks in bits - focusing on small, achievable components, I found myself completing them faster and feeling better about the process.

Setting deadlines for each chunk helps keep me focused and motivated to get them done. Plus, there's a great sense of accomplishment every time I tick off a segment, which keeps me going. This method has helped me tackle some big projects without getting bogged down or burned out!

I find that breaking larger, more daunting tasks into manageable chunks helps. Sometimes I'd be daunted by a task and delay starting it because it felt too overwhelming. But when I began tackling such tasks in bits - focusing on small, achievable components, I found myself completing them faster and feeling better about the process.

Setting deadlines for each chunk helps keep me focused and motivated to get them done. Plus, there's a great sense of accomplishment every time I tick off a segment, which keeps me going. This method has helped me tackle some big projects without getting bogged down or burned out!
That's a clever strategy - tackling the daunting tasks in bite-sized portions makes them seem less threatening and more approachable. Setting deadlines for each segment is a great idea too; it creates a sense of urgency that keeps us on task, focusing our energy and effort. And you're right about the great satisfaction gained from ticking off those segments - it's like a mental pat on the back!

Deadlines help to stay motivated and seeing progress is always encouraging. It's a satisfying strategy for sure and keeps the task manageable!

Reactions: nature and joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu