• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
'Top time-saving tips to start your week!
First up, some quick wins:

1. Save time searching for lost items - designate specific spots for frequently used belongings & return them there immediately after use; no more hunting!
2. Multi-task your morning routine - prep overnight oats/breakfast & pack lunches the night before; save time in the AM.
3. Schedule your most important task first thing. Avoid the busiest/longest jobs as the day goes on & you'll have a greater chance of knocking them off the list.
4. 10 minute rule: If a task will take less than 10 mins, do it NOW! It's quicker than putting it off & risks getting in the way later.'

5. Group similar tasks together and schedule dedicated blocks of time to knock them out. For example, schedule an hour every Monday just for returning emails, which will force you to focus only on that task and not have your attention divided among other things.
6. Plan and menu prep! Map out your meals for the week ahead and set aside a window to prepare them so you're not spending time each evening deciding what's for dinner and then preparing it. Bonus: You'll also be more likely to eat healthier, home-cooked meals instead of resorting to takeout.

• Love
Reactions: koala
5. Group similar tasks together and schedule dedicated blocks of time to knock them out. For example, schedule an hour every Monday just for returning emails, which will force you to focus only on that task and not have your attention divided among other things.
6. Plan and menu prep! Map out your meals for the week ahead and set aside a window to prepare them so you're not spending time each evening deciding what's for dinner and then preparing it. Bonus: You'll also be more likely to eat healthier, home-cooked meals instead of resorting to takeout.
Yeah, having a solid plan for the week saves time and money! I usually spend Sunday evenings preparing meals for myself and packing them into individual portions for the fridge. It's also easier to just pop lunch into my bag when rushing out with baby in tow!

Yeah, having a solid plan for the week saves time and money! I usually spend Sunday evenings preparing meals for myself and packing them into individual portions for the fridge. It's also easier to just pop lunch into my bag when rushing out with baby in tow!
That's true. Planning meals ahead ensures variety too, so it's not monotonous eating the same old things. Baby in tow sounds like a handful but also heartwarming! Does anyone else have any time-saving tips related to meal planning and preparation? Do share!

That's right! Having a meal plan and doing some food prep on Sundays sets the tone for a less stressful week ahead. It's a great way to maintain some consistency too, so you're not always wondering what to cook next. By any chance, do you also prepare different dishes or stick mainly to your comfort recipes?

That's true. Planning meals ahead ensures variety too, so it's not monotonous eating the same old things. Baby in tow sounds like a handful but also heartwarming! Does anyone else have any time-saving tips related to meal planning and preparation? Do share!
Meal planning definitely helps me as a busy mum ensuring that my child gets nutritious meals while saving time and money. I usually involve her in the process, which makes the experience more enjoyable and educational for the little one.

I let her help with simple tasks like washing vegetables or choosing which color of peppers she wants for our salad. It kills two birds with one stone because it not only saves prep time but also provides quality bonding time! Having her help with the planning encourages her to try new foods, and she's more likely to eat what she has helped prepare - a hack to overcome picky eating! Plus, it's just fun for her and me too.

Another thing I do is to batch cook and freeze. Whenever I make meals like chilli or bolognese sauce, I portion and freeze them immediately after cooling. They come in handy when I'm too tired to cook, and it feels like such a relief to have a homemade meal readily available! Just defrost and heat while preparing some fresh vegetables as side dishes - dinner is served!

Meal planning definitely helps me as a busy mum ensuring that my child gets nutritious meals while saving time and money. I usually involve her in the process, which makes the experience more enjoyable and educational for the little one.

I let her help with simple tasks like washing vegetables or choosing which color of peppers she wants for our salad. It kills two birds with one stone because it not only saves prep time but also provides quality bonding time! Having her help with the planning encourages her to try new foods, and she's more likely to eat what she has helped prepare - a hack to overcome picky eating! Plus, it's just fun for her and me too.

Another thing I do is to batch cook and freeze. Whenever I make meals like chilli or bolognese sauce, I portion and freeze them immediately after cooling. They come in handy when I'm too tired to cook, and it feels like such a relief to have a homemade meal readily available! Just defrost and heat while preparing some fresh vegetables as side dishes - dinner is served!
I also do that! Freezing meals is something I rely on heavily because of how convenient it is. I also sometimes prepare doubles of meals we really love and freeze the extra portions so that we can have them again another week. It's also a great way to ensure that we don't get tired of eating the same dishes, especially since I don't enjoy cooking every day.

I also do that! Freezing meals is something I rely on heavily because of how convenient it is. I also sometimes prepare doubles of meals we really love and freeze the extra portions so that we can have them again another week. It's also a great way to ensure that we don't get tired of eating the same dishes, especially since I don't enjoy cooking every day.
That's a great idea to prep and freeze extra portions of your favorite meals! It definitely saves time and effort, especially on days when you're too exhausted to cook. Do you find that the frozen meals become unappetizing after being thawed and reheated, or do they stay tasty?

Frozen meals remain appetising when thawed and reheated, especially if packaged and labeled properly! It's also a good idea to use recipes designed for leftovers - like curries, stews and soups, which often taste better the next day. I like adding frozen veggies into dishes too - easy way to add nutrition without any extra work.

Frozen meals remain appetising when thawed and reheated, especially if packaged and labeled properly! It's also a good idea to use recipes designed for leftovers - like curries, stews and soups, which often taste better the next day. I like adding frozen veggies into dishes too - easy way to add nutrition without any extra work.
I totally agree that preparing frozen meals in advance is a godsend for those exhausted nights! It's encouraging to know that they can remain tasty even after being thawed. Curries and soups, in particular, are great options for freezing as their flavors often intensify - a wonderful bonus!

It's also a good hack to freeze individual portions of meats like chicken or beef, especially when they're on sale. That way, you have ready protein sources to throw into dishes without any additional prep work - handy for quick weeknight meals.

I totally agree that preparing frozen meals in advance is a godsend for those exhausted nights! It's encouraging to know that they can remain tasty even after being thawed. Curries and soups, in particular, are great options for freezing as their flavors often intensify - a wonderful bonus!

It's also a good hack to freeze individual portions of meats like chicken or beef, especially when they're on sale. That way, you have ready protein sources to throw into dishes without any additional prep work - handy for quick weeknight meals.
You're right about freezing individual portions of meat! It's one of the most helpful strategies for quick dinner preparations. It saves so much time, and it's pretty satisfying to just grab a portion and know that it'll be ready in no time.

Do you marinate your meats before freezing them, or keep them plain? I usually go for lean meats and marinate them with different sauces and herbs, just to have some variety when the craving strikes.

I like to keep things simple and freeze my meats plain most of the time. I find it's versatile that way - you can defrost and throw them into stir-fries, soups, or even roast 'em.

I might marinate some chicken or shrimp with different flavors though, for some variety. Having them in tasty, ready-to-cook portions makes preparing meals so much easier!

That's a great idea! I do something similar - freezing herbs/greens and pre-portioning ingredients.

Freezing individual portions of greens like chopped spinach, or even whole leaves of kale or collards lets me easily throw them into smoothies or sautes without having to run to the store every time.

I also like to portion out pastas, grains, nuts and seeds. That way I can just grab a baggie of roasted unsalted mixed nuts, or quinoa for a quick addition to a meal. Roasted chestnuts are a particular favorite of mine - they're sweet enough to eat on their own!

What other foods do you like to freeze?

That's a great idea! I do something similar - freezing herbs/greens and pre-portioning ingredients.

Freezing individual portions of greens like chopped spinach, or even whole leaves of kale or collards lets me easily throw them into smoothies or sautes without having to run to the store every time.

I also like to portion out pastas, grains, nuts and seeds. That way I can just grab a baggie of roasted unsalted mixed nuts, or quinoa for a quick addition to a meal. Roasted chestnuts are a particular favorite of mine - they're sweet enough to eat on their own!

What other foods do you like to freeze?
I love the idea of portioning out grains and pastas! They're so versatile and having them ready to go is a real time-saver. I also always have frozen bananas in the freezer, they're great for throwing into smoothies for a quick snack on the go and stops me from eating them all before I can bake with them!

I also freeze avocado halves, which may sound unusual, but they thaw quickly and are perfect for guacamole or even slicing up for salads. You're making me rethink my entire grocery and meal prep strategy!

Reactions: eternity
I love the idea of portioning out grains and pastas! They're so versatile and having them ready to go is a real time-saver. I also always have frozen bananas in the freezer, they're great for throwing into smoothies for a quick snack on the go and stops me from eating them all before I can bake with them!

I also freeze avocado halves, which may sound unusual, but they thaw quickly and are perfect for guacamole or even slicing up for salads. You're making me rethink my entire grocery and meal prep strategy!
Haha! That's a great idea on the avocados - I never thought about freezing them! They do ripen so quickly too, it's frustrating when you can't keep up with eating them in time.

I also recently discovered frozen pineapple chunks, they're amazing to have on hand for tropical-themed dishes or just for snacking. And yeah, portioning out the starchy foods like potatoes and pumpkin pureè are handy too - they're great for thickening soups and stews.

Frozen avocado is a real game-changer! And pineapple chunks are so versatile - I can see how they'd be a fantastic addition to tropical dishes, saving you that last minute shopping trip too.

It's amazing how handy frozen fruits and veggies can be; I also love having portioned bags of corn and peas for a quick side or to throw into a soup. Makes meal prep so much easier!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Frozen avocado is a real game-changer! And pineapple chunks are so versatile - I can see how they'd be a fantastic addition to tropical dishes, saving you that last minute shopping trip too.

It's amazing how handy frozen fruits and veggies can be; I also love having portioned bags of corn and peas for a quick side or to throw into a soup. Makes meal prep so much easier!
I know right! I used to boil fresh corn then freeze the leftovers, but it's so much more convenient to just grab some frozen corn straight from the freezer. It saves cooking time, retains sweetness, and is super versatile - great addition to chilis, soups or even for making cornbread!

Same goes for mixed berries - they're fantastic for adding bulk and nutrients to smoothies, or even for baking when you're running low on fresh ingredients.

frozen corn is a great tip! I'm going to try it with some Mexican style frozen corn - straight from freezer to table, just give it a quick zap in the microwave and a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and you're good to go. Healthy, tasty and super fast :)

Reactions: bookworm
Yummy! I love me some Mexican style corn, what a great idea to save time and have a delicious side dish ready in minutes - definitely giving this one a go!
All this talk about frozen foods has got me thinking - what other time-saving tips do you moms swear by? Something beyond freezing foods would be great to add to my repertoire!

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu