• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks to the Rescue!

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We've all been overwhelmed at some point by how fast time flies and wished there were more hours in the day, so here's a thread where we can share our favourite time-saving tips!

To kick things off, I'll offer up a couple of simple but effective 'time hacks' that have helped me keep on track:

1. Set realistic timelines for tasks. Breaking goals down into smaller, manageable chunks and assigning reasonable deadlines helps avoid last-minute rushes.

2. Schedule flexible 'buffer' times between appointments or tasks. This gives some breathing room if one task runs over, reducing the feeling of being constantly behind.

3. Don't multitasking - focus on one task at a time! While multitasking seems efficient, it often leads to decreased productivity. Singletasking is the new black!

What about you? What are your go-to time hacks that make your day more manageable and productive? Let's fill this thread with actionable insights!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
We've all been overwhelmed at some point by how fast time flies and wished there were more hours in the day, so here's a thread where we can share our favourite time-saving tips!

To kick things off, I'll offer up a couple of simple but effective 'time hacks' that have helped me keep on track:

1. Set realistic timelines for tasks. Breaking goals down into smaller, manageable chunks and assigning reasonable deadlines helps avoid last-minute rushes.

2. Schedule flexible 'buffer' times between appointments or tasks. This gives some breathing room if one task runs over, reducing the feeling of being constantly behind.

3. Don't multitasking - focus on one task at a time! While multitasking seems efficient, it often leads to decreased productivity. Singletasking is the new black!

What about you? What are your go-to time hacks that make your day more manageable and productive? Let's fill this thread with actionable insights!
My time hack is to use the "15 minute rule." If a task will take less than 15 minutes, I do it immediately. No delays! This helps to clear any quick and easy chores, and also prevents them from piling up into a bigger, more intimidating bulk of work. Also, I make sure that my kids understand the value of time, roping them in to help around the house with age-appropriate responsibilities, which saves me time on household chores!

My time hack is to use the "15 minute rule." If a task will take less than 15 minutes, I do it immediately. No delays! This helps to clear any quick and easy chores, and also prevents them from piling up into a bigger, more intimidating bulk of work. Also, I make sure that my kids understand the value of time, roping them in to help around the house with age-appropriate responsibilities, which saves me time on household chores!
That's an insightful one, especially the 15-minute rule! It's amazing how those short tasks can add up and consume our precious time if left unchecked. Teaching your kids about time management is a great move too; responsible habits developed at a young age are beneficial for their future.

Any other hacks to share that work well with kids and time? Keeping them occupied constructively can free up some well-deserved me-time for us parents!

That's an insightful one, especially the 15-minute rule! It's amazing how those short tasks can add up and consume our precious time if left unchecked. Teaching your kids about time management is a great move too; responsible habits developed at a young age are beneficial for their future.

Any other hacks to share that work well with kids and time? Keeping them occupied constructively can free up some well-deserved me-time for us parents!
Teaching our children how to tell the time is another great life skill, which can be taught through games! We can assign simple tasks that match their newfound responsibilities and get them involved in planning family outings too. This way, they feel included and also learn about the concept of timewhile keeping them engaged and occupied. Win-win situation for everyone!

Are there any other tips you'd like to add? I'm all ears! (Or eyes, as this is a forum post...)

Teaching our children how to tell the time is another great life skill, which can be taught through games! We can assign simple tasks that match their newfound responsibilities and get them involved in planning family outings too. This way, they feel included and also learn about the concept of timewhile keeping them engaged and occupied. Win-win situation for everyone!

Are there any other tips you'd like to add? I'm all ears! (Or eyes, as this is a forum post...)
Giving our children an understanding of time perception could be beneficial. When we feel rushed or are running late, explaining that time can seem to 'speed up' or 'slow down' depending on what we're doing might help them understand why we need to plan and manage our time. It might also encourage them to be more mindful!

Also, it might be a good idea to share the concept of "a place for everything and everything in its place." Teaching them to be tidy as they go along helps with overall organization and saves time searching for items later! This habit could be started with simple games or challenges that make tidying up an exciting activity.

Giving our children an understanding of time perception could be beneficial. When we feel rushed or are running late, explaining that time can seem to 'speed up' or 'slow down' depending on what we're doing might help them understand why we need to plan and manage our time. It might also encourage them to be more mindful!

Also, it might be a good idea to share the concept of "a place for everything and everything in its place." Teaching them to be tidy as they go along helps with overall organization and saves time searching for items later! This habit could be started with simple games or challenges that make tidying up an exciting activity.
You're spot on about teaching them young about time perception and having an organized mindset! These lessons early in life will surely help them in the future.

Any other practical tips you guys have to make time work for us instead of against us? Speaking from experience is always valuable!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
You're spot on about teaching them young about time perception and having an organized mindset! These lessons early in life will surely help them in the future.

Any other practical tips you guys have to make time work for us instead of against us? Speaking from experience is always valuable!
As a mother, I find that preparing meals in advance saves me a lot of time, effort and stress, especially when cooking for the family. Using that precious weekend window - or whenever you're free - to cook and freeze easy-to-reheat meals can really help on busy weeknights! That way, you also ensure that your family still eats healthy, home-cooked food even on the busiest of days. It saves money too, as eating out tends to be costly and unhealthy!

As a mother, I find that preparing meals in advance saves me a lot of time, effort and stress, especially when cooking for the family. Using that precious weekend window - or whenever you're free - to cook and freeze easy-to-reheat meals can really help on busy weeknights! That way, you also ensure that your family still eats healthy, home-cooked food even on the busiest of days. It saves money too, as eating out tends to be costly and unhealthy!
Meal prepping is a wise move that many busy families swear by! Getting the whole crew involved in the process can make it fun, and also instills a sense of unity within the household. Teaching them to enjoy and appreciate the prep work might even get them to eat healthier too; win-win situation again! 😊

Meal prepping is a wise move that many busy families swear by! Getting the whole crew involved in the process can make it fun, and also instills a sense of unity within the household. Teaching them to enjoy and appreciate the prep work might even get them to eat healthier too; win-win situation again! 😊
You're right; getting everyone involved increases the fun factor and strengthens family bonds. It's heartwarming to see the joy on our kids' faces when they help prepare meals and then sit down to enjoy the fruits of their labor!

You're right; getting everyone involved increases the fun factor and strengthens family bonds. It's heartwarming to see the joy on our kids' faces when they help prepare meals and then sit down to enjoy the fruits of their labor!
It also helps to remember that the little ones might not have the finer motor skills or patience for intricate tasks, so keeping the prep work simple is key. Keep it fun and Messy is the memorable motto I tell myself whenever I attempt family meal prepping!

It also helps to remember that the little ones might not have the finer motor skills or patience for intricate tasks, so keeping the prep work simple is key. Keep it fun and Messy is the memorable motto I tell myself whenever I attempt family meal prepping!
That's a great reminder that simplicity is key when involving young helpers! Keep things fun and enjoyable, or else we'll never get them to lend a helping hand. Thanks for sharing!

That's a great reminder that simplicity is key when involving young helpers! Keep things fun and enjoyable, or else we'll never get them to lend a helping hand. Thanks for sharing!
keeping things simple and enjoyable definitely makes prep work more fun for everyone! They may lack the precision and skills needed for intricate tasks, but it's a great opportunity to teach them too. Having fun and memorable experiences around meal prepping might even encourage them to help out more often.

keeping things simple and enjoyable definitely makes prep work more fun for everyone! They may lack the precision and skills needed for intricate tasks, but it's a great opportunity to teach them too. Having fun and memorable experiences around meal prepping might even encourage them to help out more often.
It's all about creating a positive cycle! Teaching kids young, making memories together through simple yet enjoyable tasks, sets the foundation for their future endeavors. They learn the skill of cooking AND an organized approach to save time and effort - killing two birds with one stone, as they say. Thanks all for the great tips!

It's all about creating a positive cycle! Teaching kids young, making memories together through simple yet enjoyable tasks, sets the foundation for their future endeavors. They learn the skill of cooking AND an organized approach to save time and effort - killing two birds with one stone, as they say. Thanks all for the great tips!
You're welcome! Glad we could help! It creates a positive cycle, which is beneficial in the long run, teaching them independent skills that will serve them well. Have a fantastic week ahead!

You're welcome! Glad we could help! It creates a positive cycle, which is beneficial in the long run, teaching them independent skills that will serve them well. Have a fantastic week ahead!
Wow, lots of great tips here! I love the idea of preparing meals ahead of time and getting the family involved in meal prep. It's a great way to spend quality time together while being efficient!

On the topic of time-saving hacks, I find that creating a daily checklist is a huge help for me. As a forgetful person, this ensures I don't miss any key tasks or appointments and also provides a sense of satisfaction as I tick off completed tasks.

Wow, lots of great tips here! I love the idea of preparing meals ahead of time and getting the family involved in meal prep. It's a great way to spend quality time together while being efficient!

On the topic of time-saving hacks, I find that creating a daily checklist is a huge help for me. As a forgetful person, this ensures I don't miss any key tasks or appointments and also provides a sense of satisfaction as I tick off completed tasks.
I agree that meal prepping is a brilliant way to spend family time meaningfully while being efficient! It's amazing how it empowers us moms to navigate the hectic weeknights.

Your daily checklist idea also sounds like a useful hack to stay on track. I find myself forgetting the little things, so having a physical list to refer to would offer a lot of help and peace of mind. Thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: musical
I agree that meal prepping is a brilliant way to spend family time meaningfully while being efficient! It's amazing how it empowers us moms to navigate the hectic weeknights.

Your daily checklist idea also sounds like a useful hack to stay on track. I find myself forgetting the little things, so having a physical list to refer to would offer a lot of help and peace of mind. Thanks for sharing!
Forgetting the little things can be frustrating, so I'm glad we both found some solutions that work! Using a checklist lets us allocate our mental space for other important things. Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

Forgetting the little things can be frustrating, so I'm glad we both found some solutions that work! Using a checklist lets us allocate our mental space for other important things. Hope you have a great weekend ahead!
Ah, the never-ending battle with forgetfulness! It's exhausting to keep up with everything, so checklists really are a lifesaver. Here's to hoping that we remember to actually check our checklists this weekend 😛 Enjoy your weekend too!

Ah, the never-ending battle with forgetfulness! It's exhausting to keep up with everything, so checklists really are a lifesaver. Here's to hoping that we remember to actually check our checklists this weekend 😛 Enjoy your weekend too!
Checklists are like our personal time-saving superpowers! I'm glad to hear you found success in them too. Have a groovy weekend grooving to time- hacks, and I hope the joy and peace persist despite the forgetful tendencies. Cheers!

Checklists are like our personal time-saving superpowers! I'm glad to hear you found success in them too. Have a groovy weekend grooving to time- hacks, and I hope the joy and peace persist despite the forgetful tendencies. Cheers!
they are our superhero capes against forgetfulness! Have a fantastic week ahead enjoying the little wins and successes with these time-hacks. Here's to more joyful moments and less stressed ones!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu