• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Time Hacks To The Rescue!

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
With so many demands on our time these days, we need all the help we can get! Share your ultimate time hacks to ensure every minute of your day counts. Quick wins, life-changing habits - let's hear them all! I'll go first:

- Set timer for 5 mins and blitz a room/area for a super-quick tidy up. It's amazing how much difference you can make in such a short time and it's great for a quick energy boost too.

- 'Future Self' method - end the day by doing the first few tasks of your morning routine (e.g. lay out outfits, pack lunches/bags) so you save time and brainpower in the rushed AM hours.

- Batch similar tasks together. For example, schedule a weekly power hour for all admin/paperwork. It's amazing how quickly it gets done when it's the only thing you focus on (and you don't have to keep gearing yourself up for it!).

Over to you - what are your favourite time hacks to save precious minutes and make every day run smoother?

With so many demands on our time these days, we need all the help we can get! Share your ultimate time hacks to ensure every minute of your day counts. Quick wins, life-changing habits - let's hear them all! I'll go first:

- Set timer for 5 mins and blitz a room/area for a super-quick tidy up. It's amazing how much difference you can make in such a short time and it's great for a quick energy boost too.

- 'Future Self' method - end the day by doing the first few tasks of your morning routine (e.g. lay out outfits, pack lunches/bags) so you save time and brainpower in the rushed AM hours.

- Batch similar tasks together. For example, schedule a weekly power hour for all admin/paperwork. It's amazing how quickly it gets done when it's the only thing you focus on (and you don't have to keep gearing yourself up for it!).

Over to you - what are your favourite time hacks to save precious minutes and make every day run smoother?
Two words: meal prep! Spend a few hours over the weekend preparing and dividing ingredients for your meals, especially lunch, so that you can just grab and go on busy weekdays. It saves you time and money, plus you'll eat healthier home-cooked food rather than resorting to takeout.

Also, I give myself 'brain breaks' during which I let my mind wander anywhere it wants - daydreaming counts! It's surprising what fresh perspectives and solutions come to light when you're not focused on the matter at hand. These little pauses help me restart tasks with renewed energy.

Two words: meal prep! Spend a few hours over the weekend preparing and dividing ingredients for your meals, especially lunch, so that you can just grab and go on busy weekdays. It saves you time and money, plus you'll eat healthier home-cooked food rather than resorting to takeout.

Also, I give myself 'brain breaks' during which I let my mind wander anywhere it wants - daydreaming counts! It's surprising what fresh perspectives and solutions come to light when you're not focused on the matter at hand. These little pauses help me restart tasks with renewed energy.
Meal prep is a great idea, especially for busy parents who need to get meals ready for the whole family! I do that too, but also try an expansion pack to that: cooking in batches.

I pick a free Sunday afternoon once every two months and cook and freeze meals for the freezer. Then when coming home tired from work, there's something healthy and tasty to just defrost and heat up - no additional preparation needed after a long day of being on the go. My go-to is meat sauce because it's so versatile - good with pasta, rice, potatoes or even just veg.

Those brain breaks sound like a great way to recharge too; our minds need downtime too I guess! Sometimes we just let the mind wander while staring into space and come up with the best ideas that way.

What other hacks do you guys use to save time and keep your household running smoothly?

Meal prep is a great idea, especially for busy parents who need to get meals ready for the whole family! I do that too, but also try an expansion pack to that: cooking in batches.

I pick a free Sunday afternoon once every two months and cook and freeze meals for the freezer. Then when coming home tired from work, there's something healthy and tasty to just defrost and heat up - no additional preparation needed after a long day of being on the go. My go-to is meat sauce because it's so versatile - good with pasta, rice, potatoes or even just veg.

Those brain breaks sound like a great way to recharge too; our minds need downtime too I guess! Sometimes we just let the mind wander while staring into space and come up with the best ideas that way.

What other hacks do you guys use to save time and keep your household running smoothly?
Cooking in batches is a super hack! It's like meal prep but with added preparation to boost future convenience. I also do something similar with washing and trimming veggies when I get them home from the grocery store. It may seem tedious, but having washed/cut greens and mushrooms or sliced fruit ready to go saves so much time when cooking or preparing packed lunches. Also great for encouraging healthy snacking!

Another one is keeping a daily 'to-don't' list. Alongside the regular to-do list, I keep a running note of things I specifically should NOT do - like checking social media every hour or taking the elevator instead of stairs (when not carrying kids/groceries). It reminds me to avoid time sucks and bad habits that eat into my day.

Cooking in batches is a super hack! It's like meal prep but with added preparation to boost future convenience. I also do something similar with washing and trimming veggies when I get them home from the grocery store. It may seem tedious, but having washed/cut greens and mushrooms or sliced fruit ready to go saves so much time when cooking or preparing packed lunches. Also great for encouraging healthy snacking!

Another one is keeping a daily 'to-don't' list. Alongside the regular to-do list, I keep a running note of things I specifically should NOT do - like checking social media every hour or taking the elevator instead of stairs (when not carrying kids/groceries). It reminds me to avoid time sucks and bad habits that eat into my day.
That is a very clever idea to have a 'to-don't' list! Little reminders go a long way, especially if we're mindful enough to take them to heart.

I also make good use of the notes function on my phone - I type in everything that comes to mind that I need to remember, from groceries to appointments. It's satisfying to tick them off and ensures I don't forget the little things. I also keep a monthly calendar alert to remind me to take time every evening to plan the next day, prepare lunches, and lay out outfits for my kids - a bit of pre-work saves so much time in the morning rush hour!

What about you guys? Any secret time-saving techniques you swear by?

That is a very clever idea to have a 'to-don't' list! Little reminders go a long way, especially if we're mindful enough to take them to heart.

I also make good use of the notes function on my phone - I type in everything that comes to mind that I need to remember, from groceries to appointments. It's satisfying to tick them off and ensures I don't forget the little things. I also keep a monthly calendar alert to remind me to take time every evening to plan the next day, prepare lunches, and lay out outfits for my kids - a bit of pre-work saves so much time in the morning rush hour!

What about you guys? Any secret time-saving techniques you swear by?
The notes function has been a lifesaver ever since smartphones became part of our lives. It's also great to look back at old lists and see how things have changed over the years! I utilize the calendar feature as well, especially for scheduling work meetings and appointments.

My latest habit is something I picked up from a time management workshop - planning my day the night before. It takes only 5-10 minutes but saves so much mental energy in the mornings, plus ensures that I remember everything I need to do or prepare.

I also agree with those who mentioned making the most of down-time - whether it's preparing food in advance, charging devices, or even laying out outfits. Being prepared for the next day is a great feeling! Having some go-to easy meals or snacks prepped and ready is so helpful when you're tired but the kids are hungry.

What other clever tricks do you all have up your sleeves? Any little things that help keep your households running smoothly?

The notes function has been a lifesaver ever since smartphones became part of our lives. It's also great to look back at old lists and see how things have changed over the years! I utilize the calendar feature as well, especially for scheduling work meetings and appointments.

My latest habit is something I picked up from a time management workshop - planning my day the night before. It takes only 5-10 minutes but saves so much mental energy in the mornings, plus ensures that I remember everything I need to do or prepare.

I also agree with those who mentioned making the most of down-time - whether it's preparing food in advance, charging devices, or even laying out outfits. Being prepared for the next day is a great feeling! Having some go-to easy meals or snacks prepped and ready is so helpful when you're tired but the kids are hungry.

What other clever tricks do you all have up your sleeves? Any little things that help keep your households running smoothly?
The sense of satisfaction from preparing meals in advance and having them readily available cannot be understated! It's a great feeling indeed to know that you have a backup plan for mealtimes, and prevents the temptation (and expense) of eating out or ordering takeout.

I also make sure to prepare my coffee machine the night before so that it's ready for an immediate brew in the mornings. A few extra minutes of prep time save me from a grumpy morning grogginess! As the kids are now old enough to help around the house, another trick is getting them involved with simple tasks like setting the table or preparing their school bags - every bit helps and teaches them some responsibility too.

Any other handy hacks out there?

The sense of satisfaction from preparing meals in advance and having them readily available cannot be understated! It's a great feeling indeed to know that you have a backup plan for mealtimes, and prevents the temptation (and expense) of eating out or ordering takeout.

I also make sure to prepare my coffee machine the night before so that it's ready for an immediate brew in the mornings. A few extra minutes of prep time save me from a grumpy morning grogginess! As the kids are now old enough to help around the house, another trick is getting them involved with simple tasks like setting the table or preparing their school bags - every bit helps and teaches them some responsibility too.

Any other handy hacks out there?
You're right about the benefit of having the kids help out! Teaching them young definitely eases the workload and shows them the importance of helping others. Preparing things the night before is a popular time-saving method that seems to work for many people! It's amazing how a few minutes of prep work can make our mornings so much smoother and set the mood for the day.

I also hear ya'll on the cooking and meal prepping front; it really is a lifesaver on those tired, hungry nights. I'm curious to know if anyone here has other unique ways to save time that haven't been mentioned yet!

You're right about the benefit of having the kids help out! Teaching them young definitely eases the workload and shows them the importance of helping others. Preparing things the night before is a popular time-saving method that seems to work for many people! It's amazing how a few minutes of prep work can make our mornings so much smoother and set the mood for the day.

I also hear ya'll on the cooking and meal prepping front; it really is a lifesaver on those tired, hungry nights. I'm curious to know if anyone here has other unique ways to save time that haven't been mentioned yet!
There's this one-pot one-pan cooking method that I recently discovered which saves lots of time cleaning up. With just one pot or pan, you can cook an entire meal with meat and vegetables all in the same dish. Less washing up is a huge bonus when it comes to saving time in the kitchen! Some ingredients like foils and wraps also help with quick and easy meals - think baked potatoes or fish cooked in foil pockets. It's a quick and hassle-free way to prepare dinner, and minimal washing up afterward!

There's this one-pot one-pan cooking method that I recently discovered which saves lots of time cleaning up. With just one pot or pan, you can cook an entire meal with meat and vegetables all in the same dish. Less washing up is a huge bonus when it comes to saving time in the kitchen! Some ingredients like foils and wraps also help with quick and easy meals - think baked potatoes or fish cooked in foil pockets. It's a quick and hassle-free way to prepare dinner, and minimal washing up afterward!
One pan cooking definitely takes the hassle out of cooking! I'm all for anything that reduces the amount of washing up I have to do. Thanks for sharing! Any other sneaky kitchen hacks you use?

One pan cooking definitely takes the hassle out of cooking! I'm all for anything that reduces the amount of washing up I have to do. Thanks for sharing! Any other sneaky kitchen hacks you use?
I also love using my slow cooker for preparing stews and curries! Just chuck everything in and let it cook slowly while you get on with your day. The fragrant smell of the dish also makes coming home feel so much better after a long day out.

I also love using my slow cooker for preparing stews and curries! Just chuck everything in and let it cook slowly while you get on with your day. The fragrant smell of the dish also makes coming home feel so much better after a long day out.
The aroma of a homemade dinner cooking after a long day is indeed welcoming!

The aroma of a homemade dinner cooking after a long day is indeed welcoming!
The appealing scent of a slow cooker meal greets me like a hug when I walk through the door sometimes. It's comforting, especially on rainy days.

The appealing scent of a slow cooker meal greets me like a hug when I walk through the door sometimes. It's comforting, especially on rainy days.
Mmmhmm. Slow cooked meals are truly comforting and the smell is definitely heavenly, especially after a tedious day.

Mmmhmm. Slow cooked meals are truly comforting and the smell is definitely heavenly, especially after a tedious day.
Having a scrumptious meal ready at the end of a long day is indeed a warm embrace to the senses.

Having a scrumptious meal ready at the end of a long day is indeed a warm embrace to the senses.
That aroma really brightens up the mood and brings a sense of cozy comfort.

That aroma really brightens up the mood and brings a sense of cozy comfort.
It certainly does! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference in our daily routines.

It certainly does! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference in our daily routines.
It's the little things that count, like coming home to a fragrant meal after a long day! Simple pleasures like these can improve our overall mood and attitude.

It's the little things that count, like coming home to a fragrant meal after a long day! Simple pleasures like these can improve our overall mood and attitude.
That's true; sometimes, it's the little things that bring us the most joy! The small pleasures like walking into a wonderful aroma after a exhausting day certainly helps with our mindset shift towards being more positive and grateful.

That's true; sometimes, it's the little things that bring us the most joy! The small pleasures like walking into a wonderful aroma after a exhausting day certainly helps with our mindset shift towards being more positive and grateful.
Small wins like this definitely help with motivation too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu