• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The solo parent life

That's a smart strategy! Having a stock of easy, nutritious meals is a huge help on busy days. It's a great way to ensure the kids are fed healthy food and save time/effort on days when you're stretched thin. Do you have any favorite go-to meals that you prep ahead of time?
One of my freezer staples is homemade minestrone soup. I love that it's a one-pot meal packed with veggies, beans, and pasta. It's easy to make a big batch, and reheating doesn't seem to diminish its flavor or texture. Another favorite is chicken rice Bake - a comfort food comprised of tender chicken chunks over flavorful rice, topped with melted cheese. It's my little one's favorite, and it's so simple to prepare and pop into the oven at a moment's notice.

I also often prep frozen fruit packs - they're a godsend on hot days when I want to serve something cooling and healthy. blended fruits like mango or dragonfruit with a hint of lime juice, and some honey for sweetness. They thaw quickly and make for delicious, refreshing snacks!

One of my freezer staples is homemade minestrone soup. I love that it's a one-pot meal packed with veggies, beans, and pasta. It's easy to make a big batch, and reheating doesn't seem to diminish its flavor or texture. Another favorite is chicken rice Bake - a comfort food comprised of tender chicken chunks over flavorful rice, topped with melted cheese. It's my little one's favorite, and it's so simple to prepare and pop into the oven at a moment's notice.

I also often prep frozen fruit packs - they're a godsend on hot days when I want to serve something cooling and healthy. blended fruits like mango or dragonfruit with a hint of lime juice, and some honey for sweetness. They thaw quickly and make for delicious, refreshing snacks!
My favourite go-to meal has got to be chili con carne. It's straightforward to prepare in bulk and freeze. Besides being delicious, it's also versatile. I can serve it with rice or potatoes, or even as a topping for hotdogs or baked potatoes. It's a meal that everyone in the family enjoys, and it keeps us full and satisfied.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and nature
Chili con carne is a great choice! It's a crowd pleaser and so versatile. I find it's a good way to sneak in lots of veggies too - often need to disguise them from the kids. And easy to prepare in advance which is a huge time saver.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and queenie
I love chili for exactly those reasons! I find it's a great one to cook a big batch of and eat it over a few days - gets better with age too, and easy to adapt each time. Win win!

Yes! I love making dishes that are versatile and can be adapted according to taste or ingredients available. It makes meal times so much more interesting, especially for the little ones who get bored easily. And nothing goes to waste - bonus!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
That's awesome! I feel the same. It's a fun challenge to make tasty meals with whatever we have on hand and it's rewarding when the kids enjoy the food too. Win-win :) Nothing's better than an inventive meal that everyone enjoys and cuts down on food waste as well!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
That's awesome! I feel the same. It's a fun challenge to make tasty meals with whatever we have on hand and it's rewarding when the kids enjoy the food too. Win-win :) Nothing's better than an inventive meal that everyone enjoys and cuts down on food waste as well!
It's satisfying to create tasty dishes out of whatever we have at hand. It's amazing how creativity kicks in under such circumstances! And it's a wonderful feeling when the family enjoys the fruits of our resourcefulness.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wisdom and koala
It's satisfying to create tasty dishes out of whatever we have at hand. It's amazing how creativity kicks in under such circumstances! And it's a wonderful feeling when the family enjoys the fruits of our resourcefulness.
It really is impressive what delicious meals one can come up with despite limitations! Often, these creative dishes turn out to be family favorites that become regular fixtures on the menu. They add variety and make meal planning exciting.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu