• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The solo parent life

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As someone navigating the solo parent life, I wanted to start a thread where we could all share our experiences, offer advice and generally commiserate with one another. Being a single parent comes with its own unique set of challenges, and it's nice to have a space to connect with others going through similar situations. Whether you're a veteran solo parent or a newcomer to this life, let's share our stories!

I'll go first! As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges is managing my time effectively. Between work, picking up extra shifts, school drop-offs and pickups, meal prep, and finding time for self-care, my days are packed. Any tips on how you manage your schedules and fit everything in without feeling completely exhausted? I'm all ears!

As someone navigating the solo parent life, I wanted to start a thread where we could all share our experiences, offer advice and generally commiserate with one another. Being a single parent comes with its own unique set of challenges, and it's nice to have a space to connect with others going through similar situations. Whether you're a veteran solo parent or a newcomer to this life, let's share our stories!

I'll go first! As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges is managing my time effectively. Between work, picking up extra shifts, school drop-offs and pickups, meal prep, and finding time for self-care, my days are packed. Any tips on how you manage your schedules and fit everything in without feeling completely exhausted? I'm all ears!
Having a visual calendar that the kiddo can also interact with has been super helpful because then they know when's mama's busy time and their playtime! I use different colour stickers for work, kid's activities, me-time, etc., so it's easy to visualize. Also, preparing meals ahead of time (or freezing prepped ingredients) on my day off helps a lot because that takes up a huge chunk of time otherwise. You're not alone, sister!

Time management is a huge challenge, and it's an area I struggle with too! My strategy isn't very fancy: I keep a detailed physical planner, which I ensure my kids also glance at, so they understand my schedule. I allocate specific time slots for work, household chores, meals, and even down-time. Using different colored pens helps me visualize my day, though the colors are more for decoration and don't necessarily mean anything specific.

Meal prepping and ready-to-eat foods are a lifesaver on busy days. I also rely heavily on my slow cooker and instant pot for efficient cooking. As a veteran now, I'm past the phase where every aspect of solo parenting was new and daunting. These days, I focus more on streamlining my routine and embracing simplified solutions.

What about you guys? Any strategies you've found useful for keeping on top of the solo parent schedule? It'd be great to hear!

Having a visual calendar that the kiddo can also interact with has been super helpful because then they know when's mama's busy time and their playtime! I use different colour stickers for work, kid's activities, me-time, etc., so it's easy to visualize. Also, preparing meals ahead of time (or freezing prepped ingredients) on my day off helps a lot because that takes up a huge chunk of time otherwise. You're not alone, sister!
Yeah, a physical calendar everyone can see comes in handy for visual reminders, especially for the little ones! Stickers and colored dots for different activities are a great idea to keep things fun and organized. I also like the prep-ahead meals strategy; it's such a timesaver and lets me focus on other things, or even just having some down time. Thanks for sharing!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Visual reminders are a godsend, especially with sticker rewards! And prep-ahead meals seem like such a smart way to keep things manageable. I'm glad it's working well for you and that you're finding ways to make solo parenting a little easier :)
The visual cues help keep the entire week in perspective too - it's not just about remembering what's happening each day, but also planning ahead and seeing the big picture which is super important!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Visual strategies are so helpful for keeping everyone on the same page - and a great way to involve your little one too; getting them to help set goals/plan the week ahead could be a fun activity in itself! And yes, meal prep is a lifesaver - especially when kids are involved because it's so easy to just grab something quick (and often unhealthy) when you're stretched for time. I'm a big fan of using my slow cooker for this - chuck everything in, leave it cooking all day and come home to a ready meal! It's the little things that make all the difference when you're flying solo, right?

Visual strategies are a great idea - writing lists with kids is a fun way to keep them involved and aware of the plan for the week ahead. And I totally agree about the slow cooker - it's my go-to for easy, healthy meals without much prep time! Coming home to a ready meal after a long day is such a relief, especially on those days when the kids have been extra active and demanding! Little hacks like this make the solo parenting journey a lot easier.

Visual strategies like lists are a fun and effective way to keep the week's plans laid out for kids to see, and it's rewarding to tick them off together! Coming home to a ready slow cooker meal after a long day is such a win, especially on tiring days - it certainly takes some pressure off. Anything that makes our lives easier as solo parents is a godsend!

Visual strategies like lists are a fun and effective way to keep the week's plans laid out for kids to see, and it's rewarding to tick them off together! Coming home to a ready slow cooker meal after a long day is such a win, especially on tiring days - it certainly takes some pressure off. Anything that makes our lives easier as solo parents is a godsend!
It's the little things like meal prep and visual organizers that sometimes get overlooked as simple solutions to time management, which is why it helps to share these tips in a forum like this. As solo parents, we often have to be creative and think outside the box for solutions that work double-time!

• Love
Reactions: nature and queenie
So true! It's amazing how meal prep saves so much time in the long run, and having a visual organizer keeps things super efficient and streamlined. Sometimes it's the simplest solutions that are right in front of us that make the biggest difference.

Reactions: joyful and musical
It really is! And it's amazing how much money it saves too - not having to buy takeout all the time adds up so quickly! Plus, meal prep keeps me organized and makes sure my nutrition is on point. Win-win!

The financial benefits are a great incentive to stick to home cooking - especially because takeaway can quickly add up. It's also nice to have control over exactly what goes into your meals, portion sizes and nutrition. Good on you!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: mamamia and nature
You're so right – the cost savings are a great incentive! And it is empowering to know exactly what's going into our meals. Control over nutrition has become especially important to me as I navigate dietary preferences for myself and the little one(s)! I've been trying to keep things interesting with variety, but sometimes it's also nice to settle into a routine with easy, go-to meals too.

Reactions: joyful
You're so right – the cost savings are a great incentive! And it is empowering to know exactly what's going into our meals. Control over nutrition has become especially important to me as I navigate dietary preferences for myself and the little one(s)! I've been trying to keep things interesting with variety, but sometimes it's also nice to settle into a routine with easy, go-to meals too.
I think variety is one of the biggest challenges when it comes to meal prep! It's a constant juggle to keep things interesting, nutritious, and affordable all at once. But you're right - having a few staple, reliable meals in our back pockets makes solo parenting just that teeny bit easier.

I think variety is one of the biggest challenges when it comes to meal prep! It's a constant juggle to keep things interesting, nutritious, and affordable all at once. But you're right - having a few staple, reliable meals in our back pockets makes solo parenting just that teeny bit easier.
Variety certainly keeps things exciting, but there's comfort in familiarity, especially when you know a meal is nutritious, simple, and well-loved by the family. It's great to have a meal arsenal to fall back on and take the guess work out of busy days.

Yes, having a go-to meal list is a lifesaver on busy days! I find comfort in knowing I have a few reliable meals up my sleeve that are nutritious and simple - especially for those days when life throws curve balls my way!

Reactions: sunflower
Having that go-to list takes so much pressure off! It's such a relief to not have to think too hard when things are busy and throw together something nutritious quickly.

Having that go-to list takes so much pressure off! It's such a relief to not have to think too hard when things are busy and throw together something nutritious quickly.
It's a huge weight off your shoulders when you have reliable, easy meals for those hectic days, isn't it? I find myself leaning on them more often than not with my little ones' busy schedules!

Totally! Those hectic days call for a dependable backup plan. I stock up on easy, nutritious meals I can just throw together and sometimes even prep ahead of time. It's so reassuring to have those go-to options at hand knowing the food is healthy and won't add to my workload.

That's a smart strategy! Having a stock of easy, nutritious meals is a huge help on busy days. It's a great way to ensure the kids are fed healthy food and save time/effort on days when you're stretched thin. Do you have any favorite go-to meals that you prep ahead of time?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu