• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The single-sentence thread title would be: Motherhood and Mindfulness

That's true -- parenting is a lifelong commitment and journey! We just gotta keep at it and enjoy every step along the way.
The satisfation of watching our children grow up with good values is certainly worth all the work put in! Does anyone else have any ideas on how to teach mindfulness to your kids? It's quite a daunting task for me, I must say -- especially when dealing with strong-willed toddlers! But I think it's so important too.

The satisfation of watching our children grow up with good values is certainly worth all the work put in! Does anyone else have any ideas on how to teach mindfulness to your kids? It's quite a daunting task for me, I must say -- especially when dealing with strong-willed toddlers! But I think it's so important too.
You're right; it can be challenging, especially when they're at the defiant stage! But that just makes it all the more essential to start early and consistently practice what we preach. Leading by example is a great way, as children tend to mimic adult behavior. Organize activities like cleaning up toys together too; teaching them to take care of their belongings encourages an sense of accountability, which can extend to their interactions with others and the environment!

You're right; it can be challenging, especially when they're at the defiant stage! But that just makes it all the more essential to start early and consistently practice what we preach. Leading by example is a great way, as children tend to mimic adult behavior. Organize activities like cleaning up toys together too; teaching them to take care of their belongings encourages an sense of accountability, which can extend to their interactions with others and the environment!
I also find that using storybooks is a fun way to convey important messages-- there are many books on mindfulness aimed at different ages which can help in explaining complex concepts simply. We can also engage older kids by inviting them to discuss and suggest solutions to common scenarios of mindfulness we face daily!

I also find that using storybooks is a fun way to convey important messages-- there are many books on mindfulness aimed at different ages which can help in explaining complex concepts simply. We can also engage older kids by inviting them to discuss and suggest solutions to common scenarios of mindfulness we face daily!
That's a great idea to use storytelling as a teaching point! Mindfulness is indeed a complex concept that needs to be broken down for young ones, and what better way than through colorful pictures and simple stories that capture their imagination and attention.

That's a great idea to use storytelling as a teaching point! Mindfulness is indeed a complex concept that needs to be broken down for young ones, and what better way than through colorful pictures and simple stories that capture their imagination and attention.
Storytelling really helps to make the lessons stick too, as kids love being swept up in the dramas of the characters and can relate to them!

• Sad
Reactions: techsavvy
Storytelling really helps to make the lessons stick too, as kids love being swept up in the dramas of the characters and can relate to them!
That's true. Story plots and characters can really leave a lasting impression on children. It's also amazing how creative some kid-friendly books illustrate profound life lessons simply! Do you have any interesting book recommendations on mindfulness? I'm always on the lookout for new reads for my little one! ;)

That's true. Story plots and characters can really leave a lasting impression on children. It's also amazing how creative some kid-friendly books illustrate profound life lessons simply! Do you have any interesting book recommendations on mindfulness? I'm always on the lookout for new reads for my little one! ;)
There are some lovely mindfulness books out there for kids! My personal favorite is 'Zen Shorts' - a delightful story about a bear who shares his Zen wisdoms with three young neighbors. The lessons are concise and incredibly timely, accompanied by beautiful illustrations that keep the message memorable. It's an award-winning book too to boot!

There are some lovely mindfulness books out there for kids! My personal favorite is 'Zen Shorts' - a delightful story about a bear who shares his Zen wisdoms with three young neighbors. The lessons are concise and incredibly timely, accompanied by beautiful illustrations that keep the message memorable. It's an award-winning book too to boot!
The Zen Shorts book sounds like one written specifically for children to teach them about mindfulness. With such great recommendations from you guys, I'm definitely adding them to my bookshelf for junior! ;D Any other suggestions on mindful activities we can do together as a family?

The Zen Shorts book sounds like one written specifically for children to teach them about mindfulness. With such great recommendations from you guys, I'm definitely adding them to my bookshelf for junior! ;D Any other suggestions on mindful activities we can do together as a family?
Mindful activities are a fun way to bond with the family and instil core values in our little ones. A simple one I'd recommend is 'Nature Scavenger Hunts' - a great way to get the kids outside and appreciating nature's blessings! You could create your own checklist of things to find or use ready printouts online with items like leaves, pretty stones/sticks, interesting birds or insects. It encourages attentiveness to the environment and fosters appreciation for the little wonders around us.

Mindful activities are a fun way to bond with the family and instil core values in our little ones. A simple one I'd recommend is 'Nature Scavenger Hunts' - a great way to get the kids outside and appreciating nature's blessings! You could create your own checklist of things to find or use ready printouts online with items like leaves, pretty stones/sticks, interesting birds or insects. It encourages attentiveness to the environment and fosters appreciation for the little wonders around us.
Another activity that promotes mindfulness is having a technology-free dinner together once a week (or more if possible!)... No phones, no iPads, just good old-fashioned conversation around the table. We can also involve the kids in planning and preparing the meal, encouraging an appreciation of the food on their plates and the work behind every delicious meal! Some families also practice gratitude exercises before meals - giving thanks for the food and the day's blessings. This promotes a mindful awareness of our everyday lives and fosters an attitude of gratitude! ;)

Another activity that promotes mindfulness is having a technology-free dinner together once a week (or more if possible!)... No phones, no iPads, just good old-fashioned conversation around the table. We can also involve the kids in planning and preparing the meal, encouraging an appreciation of the food on their plates and the work behind every delicious meal! Some families also practice gratitude exercises before meals - giving thanks for the food and the day's blessings. This promotes a mindful awareness of our everyday lives and fosters an attitude of gratitude! ;)
Those are lovely suggestions to bond as a family and slow down our fast-paced lives! Nature walks topped my list, and scavenger hunts sound like a fun twist to the usual strolls in the park! Also, thanks for reminding me about mealtimes - teaching gratefulness is such an essential life lesson, which begins with recognizing the labor of love behind every home-cooked meal. These activities are accessible to all families and certainly mindfully enjoyable!

Those are lovely suggestions to bond as a family and slow down our fast-paced lives! Nature walks topped my list, and scavenger hunts sound like a fun twist to the usual strolls in the park! Also, thanks for reminding me about mealtimes - teaching gratefulness is such an essential life lesson, which begins with recognizing the labor of love behind every home-cooked meal. These activities are accessible to all families and certainly mindfully enjoyable!
I guess it's the little things we can do that make a mindful family! :) Do you have other recommendations to add?

I guess it's the little things we can do that make a mindful family! :) Do you have other recommendations to add?
Yup, being mindful as a family indeed can bring us much needed presence and appreciation for one another's efforts. Another simple suggestion would be family yoga or stretching sessions. There are many online kids' yoga videos with cute animals or cartoon themes which make it fun for the little ones. It sneakily incorporates mindfulness practices and also encourages physical activity! And you might even discover some talents your child has for inversions or backbends :D

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Yup, being mindful as a family indeed can bring us much needed presence and appreciation for one another's efforts. Another simple suggestion would be family yoga or stretching sessions. There are many online kids' yoga videos with cute animals or cartoon themes which make it fun for the little ones. It sneakily incorporates mindfulness practices and also encourages physical activity! And you might even discover some talents your child has for inversions or backbends :D
I think mindful family yoga is a great suggestion to bring some zen into our households! It's also a good de-stressing exercise especially after a long, hard day - bringing awareness to our bodies and helping little ones develop body-mind connections. Plus, it's a fun way to wind down and unwind together! Does anybody have other recommendations to share?

I think mindful family yoga is a great suggestion to bring some zen into our households! It's also a good de-stressing exercise especially after a long, hard day - bringing awareness to our bodies and helping little ones develop body-mind connections. Plus, it's a fun way to wind down and unwind together! Does anybody have other recommendations to share?
Yes family art sessions also cultivate mindfulness, by focusing on the creation rather than the end product. It encourages process-oriented thinking which is an important aspect of mindfulness, bringing attention and awareness to the present moment.

Yes family art sessions also cultivate mindfulness, by focusing on the creation rather than the end product. It encourages process-oriented thinking which is an important aspect of mindfulness, bringing attention and awareness to the present moment.
Art sessions sound fun and relaxing! I'm not very artistry, but it's certainly worth a try with all these wonderful recommendations for mindfulness! Does anyone have other suggestions for something we can do as a family?

Art sessions sound fun and relaxing! I'm not very artistry, but it's certainly worth a try with all these wonderful recommendations for mindfulness! Does anyone have other suggestions for something we can do as a family?
There are indeed lots of lovely ideas here! Also, let me add 'mindful baking' to the list! It engages the senses and teaches awareness through touch, smell and taste. And of course, you get a tasty treat out of it too. :) Teaching kids about portion sizes and nutritious food choices sneaks in some educational aspects as well.

There are indeed lots of lovely ideas here! Also, let me add 'mindful baking' to the list! It engages the senses and teaches awareness through touch, smell and taste. And of course, you get a tasty treat out of it too. :) Teaching kids about portion sizes and nutritious food choices sneaks in some educational aspects as well.
That's true! Mindful baking is a wonderful way to engage our senses and keep our focus on the present. There's so much fun in measuring, mixing, and creating something yummy from scratch - and the whole family can join in! I'm sure everyone will have loads of fun licking the spoon and enjoying some quality bonding time. Thanks for sharing! Are there any other recommendations to share with us? ;D

That's true! Mindful baking is a wonderful way to engage our senses and keep our focus on the present. There's so much fun in measuring, mixing, and creating something yummy from scratch - and the whole family can join in! I'm sure everyone will have loads of fun licking the spoon and enjoying some quality bonding time. Thanks for sharing! Are there any other recommendations to share with us? ;D
You're welcome! Indeed, mindful baking is a great suggestion to involve the family and make use of their helping hands :D Perhaps another simple activity would be to take up gardening as a family. It encourages mindfulness by bringing attention to the present through our sense of touch and sight - feeling the soil, watering the plants, and admiring their growth over time. It also teaches patience and responsibility in tending to these tiny lives. And of course, it promotes an appreciation of nature and all its wonders!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You're welcome! Indeed, mindful baking is a great suggestion to involve the family and make use of their helping hands :D Perhaps another simple activity would be to take up gardening as a family. It encourages mindfulness by bringing attention to the present through our sense of touch and sight - feeling the soil, watering the plants, and admiring their growth over time. It also teaches patience and responsibility in tending to these tiny lives. And of course, it promotes an appreciation of nature and all its wonders!
That sounds like a wonderful wind-down activity that connects us with the wonders of nature. With all these suggestions, we've got quite a list going for mindfulness activities! I think every family will certainly find something that fits their interests and personalities. There seems to be an underlying theme of gratitude and appreciation for the little things in life-- which is so heartwarming.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu