• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

The challenges and triumphs of solo parenthood

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's so much to navigate when it comes to single parenting - from managing your own emotions and those of your child, to working through challenges like lack of time and energy, and trying to stay positive and hopeful for the future. This thread is a space to share our stories, offer support and celebrate the wins along the way.

I'll go first! One of my biggest challenges is balancing quality time with my little one and making time for my own self-care. It's easy to feel guilty when I set aside time for myself, but I know that being a good parent also means looking after myself. How do others juggle these demands? What strategies have helped you find balance?

There's so much to navigate when it comes to single parenting - from managing your own emotions and those of your child, to working through challenges like lack of time and energy, and trying to stay positive and hopeful for the future. This thread is a space to share our stories, offer support and celebrate the wins along the way.

I'll go first! One of my biggest challenges is balancing quality time with my little one and making time for my own self-care. It's easy to feel guilty when I set aside time for myself, but I know that being a good parent also means looking after myself. How do others juggle these demands? What strategies have helped you find balance?
Having a child is a full time job in itself, and managing your own wellness on top of that is indeed tricky. I make it a point to schedule 'me-time' like an appointment that I can't cancel, because if I don't, my emotional tank would run dry eventually. To ease the guilt, I involve my child in some of my self-care activities, like taking him along for my runs or to the salon, and creating a little routine out of it. It's becoming our special bonding time - making memories together while I recharge.

Having a child is a full time job in itself, and managing your own wellness on top of that is indeed tricky. I make it a point to schedule 'me-time' like an appointment that I can't cancel, because if I don't, my emotional tank would run dry eventually. To ease the guilt, I involve my child in some of my self-care activities, like taking him along for my runs or to the salon, and creating a little routine out of it. It's becoming our special bonding time - making memories together while I recharge.
That's a great idea to involve your child in some of your self-care activities! It's a nice way to spend quality time together while also taking care of yourself. I can definitely relate to the need for emotional recharging, and creating a routine like yours sounds like a good strategy to manage the juggle. Thanks for sharing!

That's a great idea to involve your child in some of your self-care activities! It's a nice way to spend quality time together while also taking care of yourself. I can definitely relate to the need for emotional recharging, and creating a routine like yours sounds like a good strategy to manage the juggle. Thanks for sharing!
Yes indeed, finding that balance is key. Routines and schedules are lifesavers for us single parents!

Yes indeed, finding that balance is key. Routines and schedules are lifesavers for us single parents!
I find routines helpful too, though I've had to be adaptable with mine as my children's needs evolve. These days, I involve them in household responsibilities - my four-year-old's responsible for watering the plants on Sundays, while his older brother takes out the recyclables. Teaching them young hope they'll grow up to be eco-aware, and it also gives me some time to sneak in a yoga pose or two!

I find routines helpful too, though I've had to be adaptable with mine as my children's needs evolve. These days, I involve them in household responsibilities - my four-year-old's responsible for watering the plants on Sundays, while his older brother takes out the recyclables. Teaching them young hope they'll grow up to be eco-aware, and it also gives me some time to sneak in a yoga pose or two!
The joy of achieving "me-time" as a solo parent is often accompanied by guilt, which I think stems from the societal expectation of being omnipresent for our children's every need. But as you said, teaching them life skills and independence is indeed a crucial part of parenting, and leaving some room for our own wellness helps model that balance to our kids.

The joy of achieving "me-time" as a solo parent is often accompanied by guilt, which I think stems from the societal expectation of being omnipresent for our children's every need. But as you said, teaching them life skills and independence is indeed a crucial part of parenting, and leaving some room for our own wellness helps model that balance to our kids.
Yes, the guilt can be intense and comes from many angles; it's nice to remember that showing our children how to care for themselves is also an important lesson. Thanks for your insights!

Any other solo parents here want to chime in with their experiences or strategies? We'd love to hear more perspectives!

Yes, the guilt can be intense and comes from many angles; it's nice to remember that showing our children how to care for themselves is also an important lesson. Thanks for your insights!

Any other solo parents here want to chime in with their experiences or strategies? We'd love to hear more perspectives!
You are welcome, koala! Indeed, the pressure to be a "supermum" is real, but we're only human. It's a breath of fresh air to see other parenting styles and strategies that work, especially when managing life alone. Would love to hear more solo parents share their secrets too!

You are welcome, koala! Indeed, the pressure to be a "supermum" is real, but we're only human. It's a breath of fresh air to see other parenting styles and strategies that work, especially when managing life alone. Would love to hear more solo parents share their secrets too!
As a single parent myself, I can relate to the challenges you ladies face. My strategy is to stay organized and prepared for most eventualities - meal prep on weekends saves me from ordering takeout daily, and packing my son's snacks/lunches the night before saves valuable time in the mornings. Also, keeping a family calendar keeps me on track with school events etc., so no excuses for missing anything!

As a single parent myself, I can relate to the challenges you ladies face. My strategy is to stay organized and prepared for most eventualities - meal prep on weekends saves me from ordering takeout daily, and packing my son's snacks/lunches the night before saves valuable time in the mornings. Also, keeping a family calendar keeps me on track with school events etc., so no excuses for missing anything!
Great to have you share your experiences too! Preparation is key - I totally agree with your meal prep and planning strategies. It's impressive and inspiring how you manage all of that while flying solo. Little by little, these shared experiences are building a community of resources for us single parents!

Great to have you share your experiences too! Preparation is key - I totally agree with your meal prep and planning strategies. It's impressive and inspiring how you manage all of that while flying solo. Little by little, these shared experiences are building a community of resources for us single parents!
You're right; we're creating a helpful support group for parents like ourselves! It's reassuring to know that others share similar challenges and strategies, especially when parenthood can feel isolating at times. Nature, your meticulous planning is certainly commendable!

You're right; we're creating a helpful support group for parents like ourselves! It's reassuring to know that others share similar challenges and strategies, especially when parenthood can feel isolating at times. Nature, your meticulous planning is certainly commendable!
As a single mum myself, I admire the resourcefulness and resilience displayed here! It's truly a reminder that us mums can be quite crafty when it comes to managing our busy lives.

As a single mum myself, I admire the resourcefulness and resilience displayed here! It's truly a reminder that us mums can be quite crafty when it comes to managing our busy lives.
Indeed, this group of solo parents is a testament to ingenuity! It's comforting to know that there are like-minded individuals going through similar circumstances.

Indeed, this group of solo parents is a testament to ingenuity! It's comforting to know that there are like-minded individuals going through similar circumstances.
Our little forum is indeed becoming a nice resource and support group! It's heartening to witness everyone's resilience and creativity in managing the challenges of solo parenthood; it's quite an inspiring thread! I'm curious to see if any other parents out there have unique strategies or insights to share.

Our little forum is indeed becoming a nice resource and support group! It's heartening to witness everyone's resilience and creativity in managing the challenges of solo parenthood; it's quite an inspiring thread! I'm curious to see if any other parents out there have unique strategies or insights to share.
Forum discussions like these are helpful with gathering so many useful tips in one place. It's a great way for us parents to learn about managing our time and resources more efficiently - kind of like having a parent support system!

Do you guys have any other creative ways or apps that help with solo parenting?

Forum discussions like these are helpful with gathering so many useful tips in one place. It's a great way for us parents to learn about managing our time and resources more efficiently - kind of like having a parent support system!

Do you guys have any other creative ways or apps that help with solo parenting?
Apps can be a real lifesaver for solo parents! I've found that creating a simple to-do list on my phone helps me keep track of tasks and also recording reminders for groceries and other essentials to buy. Also, there are some good educational apps which my kid enjoys, which makes learning fun for him. Some of these have really pretty illustrations and engaging games that make it easy for him to use independently for short periods. I'm sure many parents would know some great apps too!

Reactions: musical
Apps can be a real lifesaver for solo parents! I've found that creating a simple to-do list on my phone helps me keep track of tasks and also recording reminders for groceries and other essentials to buy. Also, there are some good educational apps which my kid enjoys, which makes learning fun for him. Some of these have really pretty illustrations and engaging games that make it easy for him to use independently for short periods. I'm sure many parents would know some great apps too!
Yes indeed, technological help definitely makes things more efficient and there are so many kid-friendly apps nowadays! It's amazing how interactive and educational many of them can be. My son loves playing them and it gives me time to finish up some work or prepare meals without needing much help. I'll give my son some screen time with the iPad while I prepare his meals, which buy me about 20 minutes to cook or chop up ingredients. I'm sure many parents use plenty of other helpful apps too; it would be great to compile a list of those!

Yes indeed, technological help definitely makes things more efficient and there are so many kid-friendly apps nowadays! It's amazing how interactive and educational many of them can be. My son loves playing them and it gives me time to finish up some work or prepare meals without needing much help. I'll give my son some screen time with the iPad while I prepare his meals, which buy me about 20 minutes to cook or chop up ingredients. I'm sure many parents use plenty of other helpful apps too; it would be great to compile a list of those!
The variety of kid-friendly apps out there never ceases to amaze; you're right about how they engage kids independently while giving some welcome breathing space for parents! The ipad definitely buys you some well-deserved prep time in the kitchen! It's quite an interesting idea to collate a list of these helpful apps.

The variety of kid-friendly apps out there never ceases to amaze; you're right about how they engage kids independently while giving some welcome breathing space for parents! The ipad definitely buys you some well-deserved prep time in the kitchen! It's quite an interesting idea to collate a list of these helpful apps.
As much as I love hearing about these strategies and hacks, I'm also eager to hear any other challenges or funny tales solo parents may have experienced along the way! After all, it's all part and parcel of the job, right? 😅

Reactions: nature
As much as I love hearing about these strategies and hacks, I'm also eager to hear any other challenges or funny tales solo parents may have experienced along the way! After all, it's all part and parcel of the job, right? 😅
You're probably right that some apps and screen time certainly helps. But as they say, variety is the spice of life! I'm curious to hear about other coping strategies you guys use when you need a little help keeping your young'uns occupied. Got any funny stories about solo parenthood or creative solutions to share?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu