• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Taming Tantrums - Share Your Secrets!

My go-to method for defusing tense situations is also to validate your child's emotions. I'll say, "I hear that you're angry because X happened. It's disappointing when things don't go our way, isn't it?"

I find that by acknowledging the reason behind their frustration, you're helping them feel heard and understood, which can help deflate the full-blown tantrum. And like you, I also swear by the distraction technique! When emotions are running high, sometimes redirecting their focus on another exciting activity or a quick hug can help shift the mood.

What other techniques do you guys use to bring peace to the storm?
I think for me it's about really acknowledging their feelings but also being consistent with whatever action needs to be done. So first up is understanding and empathizing - like you said, explaining that yes, I see you're upset because of X, it's okay/completely understandable to feel this way. Then I'd follow up with a solution or action - especially if it's a situation where the tantrum involves an unavoidable unpleasant activity, e.g., we have to leave the park now because it's getting late.

I'd then explain the next steps, something like: "We have to go home now, but let's go down the slide one more time before we go!" or suggest another activity they can look forward to soon - "Let's go home and draw/cook dinner/take a bath together!" And follow up with lots of encouragement. There'd be lots of praising too, for things like being such a good helper or doing something well - helping to reinforce positive emotions and build their confidence.

I find that even though these meltdowns are often tire-kicking exercises and kids test boundaries this way, it does help to stay firm yet empathetic and keep a consistent routine and expectations. So I'd also re-establish expectations quickly, like, "We agreed we'd pack up now, remember? And then we're going home for dinner."

Taming tantrums can feel like an impossible task, especially when you're in the thick of it! But I've got faith that the parent community has some great strategies up their sleeves. Let's pool our collective wisdom and share our go-to tactics for keeping calm when tempers flare.

I'll start us off with a few of my favorites:

1. The Deep Breath: When my kiddo starts going full volcano mode, I immediately grab her hand and have her take three big deep breaths with me. It's amazing how this simple act can help disrupt the escalating emotional spiral and buy us some much-needed calm.

2. Distraction Technique: Sometimes, a quick change of scene or focus can work wonders. If my daughter starts melting down over not getting her way, I'll quickly shift her attention to something else. For example, "Oh look, a bird!" or whip out a fun snack from my mom bag. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a real lifesaver!

3. Empathy and Validation: I strive to acknowledge and validate my daughter's big feelings. I'll say something like, "I know you're really angry/frustrated/disappointed right now. It's okay to feel this way." This approach seems to help her feel understood and calms her down faster.

What are your tried-and-true methods for taming tantrums? Let's fill this thread with a plethora of strategies so we can all learn some new tricks! And remember, it's okay if we laugh a little along the way - parenting is hard work! 😅
I totally relate to your distraction technique! I'm a single mom to a 4-year old boy who's full of energy. When he starts getting worked up over the smallest things, like not being able to wear his favorite (currently dirty) shirt, I whip out the good ol' "Let's go outside and look for shapes in the clouds!" It usually takes his mind off the initial trigger and buys me some time to figure out how to best defuse the situation.

Also, thanks for the reminder about deep breaths. That's a simple yet often forgotten tactic that can be so effective in calming ourselves and our little ones down. I'm gonna make sure to remember this the next time his emotions escalate!

• Sad
Reactions: stargazer
Taming tantrums can feel like an impossible task, especially when you're in the thick of it! But I've got faith that the parent community has some great strategies up their sleeves. Let's pool our collective wisdom and share our go-to tactics for keeping calm when tempers flare.

I'll start us off with a few of my favorites:

1. The Deep Breath: When my kiddo starts going full volcano mode, I immediately grab her hand and have her take three big deep breaths with me. It's amazing how this simple act can help disrupt the escalating emotional spiral and buy us some much-needed calm.

2. Distraction Technique: Sometimes, a quick change of scene or focus can work wonders. If my daughter starts melting down over not getting her way, I'll quickly shift her attention to something else. For example, "Oh look, a bird!" or whip out a fun snack from my mom bag. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a real lifesaver!

3. Empathy and Validation: I strive to acknowledge and validate my daughter's big feelings. I'll say something like, "I know you're really angry/frustrated/disappointed right now. It's okay to feel this way." This approach seems to help her feel understood and calms her down faster.

What are your tried-and-true methods for taming tantrums? Let's fill this thread with a plethora of strategies so we can all learn some new tricks! And remember, it's okay if we laugh a little along the way - parenting is hard work! 😅
Oh gosh, tantrums! Those awful yet adorable moments when your kiddo loses it and you're just standing there like 🤷🏻‍♀️ .

I find that giving myself a moment to assess the situation and deciding on an appropriate response helps. Stepping away for a quick sec if I can, taking a deep breath, and figuring out what triggered the tantrum is a good way to start.

Then, depending on the cause, I would either go with the distraction technique - which you nailed it! - or go for the good ol' "It's okay to be upset/frustrated, bud. Let's take some deep breaths and think about what we can do."

If it's a case of over-tiredness or hunger, which is often the root cause of my kid's melt downs, I'll quickly offer a snack or initiate our bedtime routine, which she knows well and sometimes is enough of a distraction to snap her out of it.

I keep a cheat sheet of snacks in my bag, not just for my daughter but also for myself - parenting can be hungry work!

What are some other go-to's you guys have for those challenging moments?

My 7 year old son used to throw the mother of all tanties when he was younger, nothing pretty or graceful about it. I found that distraction worked best, especially moving his focus outdoors or towards some sports equipment. Fresh air and a quick game of throw-and-catch seems to help distract him from his meltdown, and he calms down quickly thereafter.

Also, a friend shared a great tip which I now sometimes use - letting the child know that you understand their disappointment/frustration, but that it's not okay to express it by yelling or hitting (or whatever unwanted behavior). Then, give them a quick hug and ask if they'd like some help to calm down. It's amazing how a simple acknowledgment of their feelings can defuse the situation sometimes! :)
Yes, I agree that acknowledging their feelings is a great way to show empathy without giving in to their demands. I like how you add a clear boundary too, that it's not okay to express disappointment through unwanted behavior.

I've also found that providing options helps to ease the tension - like offering two activities they enjoy as a distraction, and letting them choose which one they'd rather do. It's harder for them to keep upset when they feel they have some control over the situation.

My 7 year old son used to throw the mother of all tanties when he was younger, nothing pretty or graceful about it. I found that distraction worked best, especially moving his focus outdoors or towards some sports equipment. Fresh air and a quick game of throw-and-catch seems to help distract him from his meltdown, and he calms down quickly thereafter.

Also, a friend shared a great tip which I now sometimes use - letting the child know that you understand their disappointment/frustration, but that it's not okay to express it by yelling or hitting (or whatever unwanted behavior). Then, give them a quick hug and ask if they'd like some help to calm down. It's amazing how a simple acknowledgment of their feelings can defuse the situation sometimes! :)
That's great advice about understanding their disappointment and adding in a quick hug. Sometimes, I think a physical connection can help build that emotional bridge between you and your child. It conveys empathy and connection, which helps deflate the situation especially when coupled with an offer to help calm down.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu